Ricotta Cheese

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ricotta Cheese

Postby jimrcqn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Does anyone know where to find Ricotta cheese in Lima? I really like to make lasagna, but have not found ricotta; cottage cheese is a very poor substitute. Does it go by another name here?

rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ricotta Cheese

Postby rgbjr » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:43 pm

I always go to a Casa de los Ravioles Centro Comercial Monterrico, Av. Primavera Alt Cdra, 15 - Surco
Phone. 4354036. It is in the parking lot behind Vivander in Monterrico.
It is homemade and really good. They also sell fresh mozzarella and fresh lasagna pasta. I also saw all of the above in Wong. I never tried Wong yet but will give it a shot one day.
Bobby :D
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimrcqn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:16 am

Thank you. That is fairly close to me (though too far to walk). I'll check it out soon. I've looked often, but have never seen Ricotta at Wong or Plaza Vea or Tottus. In fact, it is very rare that I can find lasagna noodles, so I bring mine from the US. Good to know about a place that makes them fresh.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:08 pm

I did find lasagna noodles @ the Plaza Norte Wong. Ricotta was a little more difficult, and IIRC I used a different type cheese.

Will investigate this other place upon my return.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:39 pm

I've never had a problem finding lasagna noodles at Wong in Aurora.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:24 pm

try lasagna with bechemel or i've heard making ricotta isn't too difficult and fun. also plaza vea has some that are expensive. they also have fresh ones. or you can use the wonton wrappers. sounds strange, but tastes good!
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 pm

rgbjr wrote:I always go to a Casa de los Ravioles Centro Comercial Monterrico, Av. Primavera Alt Cdra, 15 - Surco
Phone. 4354036. It is in the parking lot behind Vivander in Monterrico.
It is homemade and really good. They also sell fresh mozzarella and fresh lasagna pasta. I also saw all of the above in Wong. I never tried Wong yet but will give it a shot one day.

I forgot to tell you at Wong the Fresh Pasta is by the cheese and deli section.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Just a warning...sometimes it's sold in Plaza Vea in hard little wrapped blocks and I've also seen it like this elsewhere. It will RUIN your lasagna because the texture is terrible. When I find it in a tupper I snap it up and plan my menu around it...

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register