"american" brown sugar

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

"american" brown sugar

Postby ehat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:05 pm

FYI - maybe others have already found this but, I have found "american" brown sugar, in both light and dark brown varieties at Tottus Jockey Plaza for either 4.50 a box or 5.99 a box...depends on what price tag the stuck to it, but beats going to the center of Lima to buy boxes from the mayoristas. Hurray! Time for chocochip cookies, blondies, granola, oatmeal cookies...the list goes on and on.

koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: "american" brown sugar

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 pm

I was searching for this awhile back but I discovered that using Azucar Rubia works just the same for most things. Also, the taste is not quite the same but Panela has the exact same texture as brown sugar, it looks the same too and it costs 5 soles at the Saturday morning bio-feria in Parque Reducto.

I saw the dominos brown sugar at Tottus at Angamos but it was around 16 soles I think, I'll have to check that.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
h2olilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby h2olilly » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh good now I might be able to make proper gingerbread men (Minus the golden syrup- of course)
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 pm

oooo...koplinfamilia-I saw panzela at a bio store last week....whats is like? also, I do use azucar rubia for most things, but for chocolate chippers i like the chew that the american style brings. Also, is that bio-feria on every weekend?
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 am

Oh good now I might be able to make proper gingerbread men (Minus the golden syrup- of course)

No need to go without - even I managed to follow this recipe.

http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.com/2009 ... syrup.html
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:21 pm

I think panela is usually called chancaca in Peru. You can find it in most markets and supermarkets. It's pretty much a solid chunk of brown sugar, just grate it or break it up to use.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:21 pm

I just use azucar rubia and mix in a little miel de chancaca which is what "American brown sugar" is... sugar and molasses..
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:55 pm

ahh well, i know its just sugar and molasses, but up until right now I had no idea that miel de chancaca could be used as such. thanks martitaAQP! I had even asked my pretty americanzed boss whose mom is a chef...guess it takes an expat :)
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Choripán » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 pm

Has anyone seen brown sugar ("american" style) at any other Tottus? I checked out Las Begonias today, no luck. Jockey Plaza is a ways out. But I'll make the trip with a smile if that's the only option...

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register