chocolate chips

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

chocolate chips

Postby viernes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Anybody know where I can find chocolate chips, been to a metro and wong around san miguel. But haven´t seen any......

Kelly

Re: chocolate chips

Postby Kelly » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:50 pm

I bought chocolate chips before in the Plaza Vea at Angamos/Principal in Surquillo, but that's been a while back.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Yes, Plaza Vea has them regularly. Just bought some a few weeks ago at the Plaza Vea Ovalo Higuereta.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:44 pm

I guess I´ll try the closest one to me in Jesus Maria. On my way now.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 pm

I used to see them in a Plaza Vea in Surco, generic brand for S/.21 and now they don't carry them at all. Wong, at least near me is out too. The ones in Higureta, are they Nestle?
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:27 pm

They weren't Nestle. Unfortunately I used the whole package last week when baking cookies. Just remember that they were in a light brown / beige package with darker brown writing.

In cas you can't find chocolate chips you could buy a real good chocolate and grate (hope this is the right word) it yourself.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:32 pm

I usually buy chocolate that is for "cobertura". And I buy bitter, instead of milk, its more semi sweet anyway, and I chop it and try not to toss in the small slivers and powdery part from cutting it up. I can get it for around 8.50 for a box of 6 bars at the mercado/eden instead of 12-17 soles at the super.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:15 pm

I was thinking about buying chocolate in a bar or something and breaking it up as chocolate chunks rather than chips, but i did find them in Plaza Vea of Jesus Maria. Metro of Jesus Maria had them as well. It is a generic peruvian brand called negusa. Comes in a beige and brown package, quite a bit smaller than a bag of chocolate chips in the states. The package says, Gotas sabor a chocolate, which makes it sound like its not actually made of chocolate but the ingredients do include natural cocoa powder so hope they made descent chocolate chip cookies. They are definitely miniature sized, although isn't everything compared to the U.S.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:17 pm

p.s. - they were about 8 soles in plaza vea and 6 something in Metro... somehow it seemed expensive as i stood there debating whether to get them.
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 am

You can find 1kg bags or less if you want in the Markets. For example the Market behind Vivanda in Surco (Primavera with Encalada) sells 1kg bags for 20 soles which will last you at least a few batches of cookies. They also sell 1kg bars of the melting chocolate in dark (bitter), milk, and white for 14 soles.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm

I have just been to Plaza Vea at Ovalo Higuereta. They still have the chocolate chips I bought a few weeks ago. I remembered correctly, the package is light brown with a darker brown writing on it : Gotas de Chocolate (underneath smaller Chocolate Chips, even though they are not really chips, more like small drops). You can find them where the flour, maizena, vanilla and all the other baking stuff is.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Good to hear they are in the Ovalo Higuerata Vea but do they taste the same, bitter sweet? I found some once in a mercado but when I tasted them they were horrible and more like a regular chocolate. Maybe it is just me but chocolate chip cookies are the best when made with the semi-sweet morsels. I like the idea of buying the bitter bars and chopping them up but for those of you who have tried is the chocolate too bitter? I think I recall someone saying "bitter" here is like "semi-bitter" in the States, any thought?
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
phatgirl18

Postby phatgirl18 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Is there anything like a chocolate store for baking there? I love making my own chocolate crafts but I prefer to use inexpensive chocolate.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register