Foreigners are treated better in Peru than Peruvians???

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Foreigners are treated better in Peru than Peruvians???

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:53 pm

I think that Peruvians treat foreigners better than other Peruvians.

My gf who's Peruvian tell me that Peruvians generally treat foreigners better than other Peruvians and they thrust foreigners more.

It also depends of yourself how people will treat you.

We are immigrants in Peru so we must adapt to their customs and respect their traditions.
We expect the same of foreigners coming to our home country.

El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Foreigners are treated better in Peru than Peruvians???

Postby El Tunche » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I wonder ...
hoyce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hoyce » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 am

they should be trusted more. whether your making a deal with a peruvian on rent, a job, or a business agreement - they are not going to keep their word, if they do keep they're word they wont deliver on time, and if they do deliver on time it wont be what was promised. fine if a few things are missing from the laundry, not fine for bigger stuff.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 am

It's called Propina (Tips or giving money).
Your treatment as a foreigner is because you are a paying customer.
As a matter of fact you are charged a gringo tax, while Peruvians get the better price.
I would say that many foreigners are looked on with contempt because of economic desparity.
They actually talk bad about us behind your back while smiling in your face.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 am

Peruvian society discriminates through class (money, or the perceived assumption of money)
and skin color. Now that modern capitalism has started to impose itself; the prices are
posted in a sign in order to avoid this.

Still everybody is used to gossip and being judgmental against each other, it is a way for
them to pass the time. Most Peruvians mimic soap operas and use them as a reference
on how to behave within society. Because of this they have a series of beliefs that are
not based on facts but they still believe them no matter what.

Beliefs like the US is the direct responsible of Peruvian poverty, white people are easy
to fool (applied to American Citizens and Peruvian Citizens).

It is pretty obvious that you cannot expect good intentions in any situation.
two jacks

Postby two jacks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am

I have been going to get my haircut at the same place and same girl for 2 years now. Always paid 10 soles, today told her I was leaving Peru, (she figured this would be my last visit) so she told me the price now was 15 soles, a 50 % increase. Yes we are treated well, jaja...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:15 am

It's ok to talk about a time when something has happened that you felt ripped off - it's not ok to come on the forum and complain that Peruvians are liars and thiefs. Those types of comments are racist and offensive.
two jacks

Postby two jacks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:18 am

Kelly wrote:It's ok to talk about a time when something has happened that you felt ripped off - it's not ok to come on the forum and complain that Peruvians are liars and thiefs. Those types of comments are racist and offensive.

Who was that directed at???
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am

It's a general reminder. If it was directed at a specific person, I'd send them a personal message.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 pm

tupacperu wrote:It's called Propina (Tips or giving money).
Your treatment as a foreigner is because you are a paying customer.
As a matter of fact you are charged a gringo tax, while Peruvians get the better price.
I would say that many foreigners are looked on with contempt because of economic desparity.
They actually talk bad about us behind your back while smiling in your face.

Peruvians try to charge other Peruvians as much as they can as well that why they negotiate prices and you should do the same.
when I take a taxi.
My gf stops taxis and askes them for a price. I stop taxis 10 metres further on the road. We take the taxi that quoted the cheapest price. Mostly, it's the taxi I stopped.

Many gringos don't mind to get ripped off.
So many gringos move to Miraflores. Wherever you go in Miraflores you get charged a high gringo price. Restaurants, bars, supermarkets, hotels, appartment rentals charge much higher prices.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Kelly wrote:It's ok to talk about a time when something has happened that you felt ripped off - it's not ok to come on the forum and complain that Peruvians are liars and thiefs. Those types of comments are racist and offensive.

I think that bad comments about Peruvians come from people living in Lima.
They should take a trip to La Selva to escape the stress and crime of Lima.

Friendly people and helpfull people are awaiting. No gringo prices or stress at all.
deorg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby deorg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 pm

If you're white you pay more... its a fact, and I'm not american... go to your local market, (not Vivanda or metro), or go and buy a pirated movie (white people and gringos get ripped of more often) because the average peruvian think you got more money.
Go and buy fireworks to the guy that sells you in the stop lights (THEY WILL CHARGE YOU MORE).
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 pm

People will try to charge anyone more if they think they can get away with it - it's human nature. And since there are very rarely set prices on things in markets or on streetcorners, people will ask for what they think they can get, whether the person buying is white, black, or Peruvian. If you've lived here for a little while, you know what a fair price is, (no matter what your skin color or nationality) and can tell them to take a hike if they try to overcharge you.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Kelly wrote:People will try to charge anyone more if they think they can get away with it - it's human nature. And since there are very rarely set prices on things in markets or on streetcorners, people will ask for what they think they can get, whether the person buying is white, black, or Peruvian. If you've lived here for a little while, you know what a fair price is, (no matter what your skin color or nationality) and can tell them to take a hike if they try to overcharge you.

That's what I think too.

It's normal that people charge more than they would like to get. They know that if the quote you a price, you will haggle about the price.

I also think that it depends where you buy things.
If you walk out of a cheap hostel, the taxi driver will charge you less money than if you walk out of the Marriot.

Even in stores where prices are marked on things, the price is not always the same. The same product at Sagafabella in San Miguel will be more expensive at Sagafabella in Miraflores.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Actually I don't think the gringo price is a fair title for that....as stated where there is no exact pricing policy in many situations here, the seller as is human nature, will try to exact the highest price possible...that is free market enterprise...that to me is not the issue.

The issue is who accepts this price...."gringos" with money who come from a culture were bargaining is not done and prices quoted are the same for all tend to accept the price told to them as "the price" when in fact it is merely the opening price and from there you are meant to make your counter offer.

I see all levels of Limenos act the same with each other about prices and sometimes my GF pays "gringo price" simply because she is too tired to bargain or whatever.

I don't believe, generally speaking, it has anything to do with foriegners or locals, it is just straight up commerce nothing else.

Better if it was called the "too tired to bother bargaing price" or the "i'm not familiar with this custom of bargaining price"...(however neither are as catchy as "gringo price")

Thanks euroman for the thread...things were getting dull without you around! :D
JGrizzle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby JGrizzle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Regarding prices and the assumption of wealth, one of the chifas i used to frequent had a sneaky tactic.

I used to eat at this place a lot, like 1 maybe 2 times a day for a fair stretch, and it's fair to say most of the staff recognised/knew me, and the menu they gave me was always a simple laminated with binding menu, reasonable prices.
One day me and my friend came in and a new member of staff (i think they occasionally rotated staff with a different chifa up the street) brought us this more extravagant menu eg. different paper, bigger, fancier design. Needless to say all the prices had been hiked between 3-6 soles, me and my friend just shook our heads and told him to fetch us the other menu.
I'm curios if this is a common tactic?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 pm

JGrizzle wrote:Regarding prices and the assumption of wealth, one of the chifas i used to frequent had a sneaky tactic.

I used to eat at this place a lot, like 1 maybe 2 times a day for a fair stretch, and it's fair to say most of the staff recognised/knew me, and the menu they gave me was always a simple laminated with binding menu, reasonable prices.
One day me and my friend came in and a new member of staff (i think they occasionally rotated staff with a different chifa up the street) brought us this more extravagant menu eg. different paper, bigger, fancier design. Needless to say all the prices had been hiked between 3-6 soles, me and my friend just shook our heads and told him to fetch us the other menu.

In chacarilla there is a little organic fruit stand. They had 2 price lists for the fruits, one bilingual with the fruit names in English and Spanish, the other only in Spanish. I noticed that the English one was 1-2 soles more per Kilo across the board.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm

To avoid to get charged higher prices, you can always go to the regular supermarkets like Mass, Metro. La Inmaculada or Tottus. The prices are displayed and at the till you pay the same prices as anyone else.
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 pm

They weren't trying to give you different prices - that's actually a different menu (in the English sense of the word menu). Almost every chifa has it, along with the cheaper menú, it's just that usually they are bound together in the same "book". The more expensive one has a wider, fancier variety and plates that you can share with 2,3,4, etc people. It's also the one with the drink menu. They probably just assumed you would want that one. In that case, it's perfectly normal to ask for the other if you prefer, and they won't think anything of it.

The head-shaking might have confused the waiter though :wink:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 pm

lizzym wrote:

They weren't trying to give you different prices - that's actually a different menu (in the English sense of the word menu). Almost every chifa has it, along with the cheaper menú, it's just that usually they are bound together in the same "book". The more expensive one has a wider, fancier variety and plates that you can share with 2,3,4, etc people. It's also the one with the drink menu. They probably just assumed you would want that one. In that case, it's perfectly normal to ask for the other if you prefer, and they won't think anything of it.

The head-shaking might have confused the waiter though :wink:

It can also depend of the time of the day. Many chifas only sell menu at lunchtime.

The Wantan Soup or Wantan frito + main course is cheaper.

If you eat in the evening you pay more but the portions are also bigger.
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Yeah, the gringo tax .
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:23 pm

I have been treated quite well, few times some older people get shocked when they see me and start yelling "oye gringo Americano!!" Firstly all of the people who have white skin are not Americans and secondly word "Gringo" comes from the word Green Go. Wikipedia will tell you the truth if you didn´t know it already.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:12 pm

chi chi wrote:
tupacperu wrote:Many gringos don't mind to get ripped off.
So many gringos move to Miraflores. Wherever you go in Miraflores you get charged a high gringo price. Restaurants, bars, supermarkets, hotels, appartment rentals charge much higher prices.

Actually that is the free market in action. It also happens in the provincial towns that produce
drugs. Almost everybody is indian there but they earn an average of 4000$ per head in consequence
all prices are higher than in other cities.

It is simply the market in action at the presence of an increase in the money supply.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:23 am

hate to tell you but that "green go" thing is a myth...gringo comes from griego and occured in spain a long time before it made it's way to the new world(where it took on a new meaning)

the spanish used to call the irish that came there looking for work that word....it meant anyone who couldn't speak spanish very well due to the accent of their mother tongue and they were thus hard to understand.(it is similar to the phrase in english ..."ah it's all GREEK to me") ellos hablan como griegos ...eventually just became "gringos"
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:49 am

deorg wrote:If you're white you pay more... its a fact, and I'm not american... go to your local market, (not Vivanda or metro), or go and buy a pirated movie (white people and gringos get ripped of more often) because the average peruvian think you got more money.
Go and buy fireworks to the guy that sells you in the stop lights (THEY WILL CHARGE YOU MORE).

I am black and I pay the Gringo tax(more). It is not a white thing, it is a money thing. You foreigner you pay more, not about race.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 am

tupacperu wrote:I am black and I pay the Gringo tax(more).

Do you also get charged more in Chincha?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 am

douglas8 wrote:hate to tell you but that "green go" thing is a myth...gringo comes from griego and occured in spain a long time before it made it's way to the new world(where it took on a new meaning)

the spanish used to call the irish that came there looking for work that word....it meant anyone who couldn't speak spanish very well due to the accent of their mother tongue and they were thus hard to understand.(it is similar to the phrase in english ..."ah it's all GREEK to me") ellos hablan como griegos ...eventually just became "gringos"

Actually both are valid THEORIES, but there is no evidence clearly marking one or the other as the birthplace of the term.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:58 am

I think how you are treated depends where you come from. In many Latin American countries, people are anti American. I had people who were rude and asked me which part of the US I am from. When I say Europe, they become more friendly.
I noticed that a lot in Venezuela, Bolivia and Colombia. When I lived in Colombia, some american friends of me told me that they always say that they are from Europe in order to get treated better.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:07 am

douglas8 wrote:hate to tell you but that "green go" thing is a myth...gringo comes from griego and occured in spain a long time before it made it's way to the new world(where it took on a new meaning)

The word gringo is used for different people in different countries.

In most countries it's used to call Americans.
In Peru it's used for people with white skin. Whether they are local or foreign.
In the South of Brasil it's used to call Italians.

In the Dominican Republic, it's also used to call a NON FREE RANGE CHICKEN.

More gringo information on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

It would be nice if we could get this one in Peru:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo_Gazette
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:56 pm

sorry but there is zero documented proof about GREEN GO theory but the form of GRINGO does in fact exist in written form in spain pre-dating the mexican-US conflict by about 70 years...so it is not fair to say both are valid theories when it is simply not the case...but that is not the thread is it.
jjs

Postby jjs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:57 pm

There are some cultural differences. It is everyone's personal responsibility to protect themselves. In general it may be assumed that in Lima your personal value is dictated not by what you have to offer, but by what can be taken from you. This applies to everybody, whether it be natives or guests. It may appear that because we are guests we receive different treatment, but in actuality it is more likely due to our ignorance and naivety. So protect yourself. If you can not operate under these conditions, you may be in for a rough stay. Just remember that the best way to keep from being taken advantage of is to give your advantage away. Take care.
alexlinian

Postby alexlinian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm Peruvian and half native looking. Grew up in the states but experience the "Peruvian" treatment everyday from people who assume I'm not as awesome as I am... I think its definitely real. Sometimes it gets to me but mostly I find it funny and try to drag the conversation/interaction as long as I can with a smile on my face... If someone answers rudely, doesn't speak clearly, or look me in the eye when talking to me, I pretend I didn't hear them and make them repeat it until they do it right. It's quite fun.

People have their reasons for doing what they do I guess, the only reason it would annoy me is if they were right. That's at least my way of looking at it at the moment.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby trevor33 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 am

deorg wrote:If you're white you pay more... its a fact, and I'm not american... go to your local market, (not Vivanda or metro), or go and buy a pirated movie (white people and gringos get ripped of more often) because the average peruvian think you got more money.

They'll charge you more if you buy more, if you know the true price and asked for that then walk away when they insist you're getting the right price 9/10 times they'll call you back and you'll get the Peruvian price. they'd like you to buy more but more importantly they just want a sell.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:13 pm

trevor33 wrote:

They'll charge you more if you buy more, if you know the true price and asked for that then walk away when they insist you're getting the right price 9/10 times they'll call you back and you'll get the Peruvian price. they'd like you to buy more but more importantly they just want a sell.

Gringos might be charged a few cents more at the market or a few soles more when getting their wall painted. But Peruvians pay MUCH more for everything else.

Because when foreigners buy a fridge, TV, motorbike, laptop, washing machine, etc. they buy CASH.
Peruvians buy those things on credit.

For example: I bought my motorbike cash for 6400 soles. If I would bought it on credit, it will cost 9800 soles. A difference of 3400 soles!!!!

That's a big difference compared to the few cents more that I could get overcharged when I buy a broccoli at the market.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby trevor33 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:48 pm

chi chi wrote:Gringos might be charged a few cents more at the market or a few soles more when getting their wall painted. But Peruvians pay MUCH more for everything else.

Because when foreigners buy a fridge, TV, motorbike, laptop, washing machine, etc. they buy CASH.
Peruvians buy those things on credit.

For example: I bought my motorbike cash for 6400 soles. If I would bought it on credit, it will cost 9800 soles. A difference of 3400 soles!!!!

That's a big difference compared to the few cents more that I could get overcharged when I buy a broccoli at the market.

Depends on which market :o

That's not Peruvians getting charged more because they're Peruvian that's people getting charged more because they can't afford one lump sum of 6400/S... you'd be paying 9800/S over so many months if you couldn't afford to pay the 6400/S. It's just like anyone buying a house with a mortgage, you pay more before you're effectively borrowing money to pay for your goods, nothing new or Peruvian there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm

trevor33 wrote:That's not Peruvians getting charged more because they're Peruvian that's people getting charged more because they can't afford one lump sum of 6400/S... you'd be paying 9800/S over so many months if you couldn't afford to pay the 6400/S. It's just like anyone buying a house with a mortgage, you pay more before you're effectively borrowing money to pay for your goods, nothing new or Peruvian there.

Off course, they are not paying more because they are Peruvian but Peruvians still pay much more because they can't afford to pay their things cash and have to pay on credit.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:09 pm

chi chi wrote:
trevor33 wrote:That's not Peruvians getting charged more because they're Peruvian that's people getting charged more because they can't afford one lump sum of 6400/S... you'd be paying 9800/S over so many months if you couldn't afford to pay the 6400/S. It's just like anyone buying a house with a mortgage, you pay more before you're effectively borrowing money to pay for your goods, nothing new or Peruvian there.

Off course, they are not paying more because they are Peruvian but Peruvians still pay much more because they can't afford to pay their things cash and have to pay on credit.

This actually applies to everybody. If you pay on credit, you will always pay more than if you do
it cash. The alternative is save your money and wait until you have enough to pay cash for what
you want.

It is like the fable of the ant and the other insect. If the insect did not work during the summer
and the spring then it will die on the winter. (Even if the insect is a mother with 5 children).
It is the law of nature and there is no way to change it.
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:54 pm

In Peru it's used for people with white skin. Whether they are local or foreign.

Hate to break the buble here but if it like this isn´t a rasistic expression then? In spanish has also words "rubio", "moreno", extranjero. The thing is that only few people call me gringo, others call me by my birth name. And these individuals use it in a a very mean way.
Im not calling people with dark skin with the "N-word" my education prevents that.
Have a good day!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Drake wrote:

Hate to break the buble here but if it like this isn´t a rasistic expression then? In spanish has also words "rubio", "moreno", extranjero. The thing is that only few people call me gringo, others call me by my birth name. And these individuals use it in a a very mean way.
Im not calling people with dark skin with the "N-word" my education prevents that.
Have a good day!

Peruvians often call other Peruvians 'Cholo'. It was used to be a racist word but through the years it got accepted and is no longer racist in Peru. In Chile it still is and used to call Peruvians and Bolivians.

In Tarapoto at the Plaza there's a newspapershop called ''El Cholo''.

President Alejandro Toledo was used to be called ''El Cholo'' too.

(In Cartagena, I've eaten in a Pizzeria that's called ''El Nuevo Gringo Loco''.)
http://cartagena.infoisinfo.com.co/fich ... oco/416935

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholo

Regarding to the 'N-word'. When I was in the LA, I've heard many black people calling each other by the N-word. Are they racist then??? And how many times you hear in US movies the 'N-word'?
If you listen to Rap Music, you hear the N-word all the time. And who generally sings rap? Apart from M&M, I don't know any other white rapper.

In Belgium, the N-word that you use in the US is almost the samen in writing and pronunciation. But it isn't racist in Belgium.
Last edited by chi chi on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 pm

chi chi wrote:
Drake wrote:

Have a good day!

Peruvians often call other Peruvians 'Cholo'. It was used to be a racist word but through the years it got accepted and is no longer racist in Peru. In Chile it still is and used to call Peruvians and Bolivians.

In Tarapoto at the Plaza there's a newspapershop called ''El Cholo''.

President Alejandro Toledo was used to be called ''El Cholo'' too.

(In Cartagena, I've eaten in a Pizzeria that's called ''El Nuevo Gringo Loco''.)
http://cartagena.infoisinfo.com.co/fich ... oco/416935

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholo

Regarding to the 'N-word'. When I was in the LA, I've heard many black people calling each other by the N-word. Are they racist then??? And how many times you hear in US movies the 'N-word'?
If you listen to Rap Music, you hear the N-word all the time. And who generally sings rap? Apart from M&M, I don't know any other white rapper.

In Belgium, the N-word is almost the same in writing and pronunciation as in the US but it isn't racist at all.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Gringo is inherently an offensive term to foreigners, it would be as if I were to call a Latino a spic. Due the the general lack of education and blindly following norms in Latin America it's somewhat accepted but you're not going to hear that word much in the States.

Nigger is an extremely offensive term dude, I would lol really hard at you if you tried to use that term with a black american.
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Gringo is inherently an offensive term to foreigners, it would be as if I were to call a Latino a spic. Due the the general lack of education and blindly following norms in Latin America it's somewhat accepted but you're not going to hear that word much in the States.

Nigger is an extremely offensive term dude, I would lol really hard at you if you tried to use that term with a black american.

I coudn´t agree more.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I've never felt offended by the use of "gringo" here in Peru. I've felt offended by its use by some Mexicans back in the States (when they didn't like me dating one of "theirs").

Peru is different, it depends on who is saying it and how they use it - when someone sings "Dame un beso, cholitaaaaa" there's nothing offensive about that. My mother in law is friends with a woman who is from Germany, she's fairly well known in Peru and is called "La Gringa Inga" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDTwm78iWpY )- People love her and "gringa" isn't being used offensively at all. Likewise the term "zambo" which is used for Arturo "Zambo" Cavero. Zambo is the Spanish version of the English term "sambo", which is English is considered very offensive, but in Spanish simply means a person of mixed African and indigenous blood. In Peru, all these terms can be used to offend, or as terms of endearment.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:08 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:Gringo is inherently an offensive term to foreigners, it would be as if I were to call a Latino a spic. Due the the general lack of education and blindly following norms in Latin America it's somewhat accepted but you're not going to hear that word much in the States.

In Belgium, they say 'neger'. In France, they say 'noir'. Actually the same as nigger but it's not offensive. It just means black person. In the US, it's offensive.

Some words are offensive in some countries, in others not.

Somebody who looks Indian latinamerican is called cholo in Peru. It's not offensive but in Chile, it's an offensive word to call Peruvians or Bolivians.

White people are called gringos. It's doesn't matter if they are foreign or Peruvian. It's not considered offensive.
Black people are called negro in Peru. It's not offensive.

People who look asian are called chinos.
My gf looks asian and people call her La China.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm

i will join the chorus of people who agree that being called gringo is NOT offensive generally in Peru.

I was quite taken aback when I first got here after having lived in Mexico where it was highly offensive, but to apply that value to Peru is not accurate.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:05 am

it depends on the tone of course. gringo can be a term of endearment, a neutral description, or a slur. like cholo.
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 am

In Belgium, the N-word is almost the same in writing and pronunciation as in the US but it isn't racist at all.

We are not in Belgium friend, we are in Peru now.
it depends on the tone of course. gringo can be a term of endearment, a neutral description, or a slur. like cholo.

Exactly, sometimes Peruvians think that I don´t understand spanish and say things they should have left unsaid. What I have noticed is that jeleasy is rooted very strong in this society and that makes people act muy tonto. Also everyone is very gossip here. Like I said most of the people are very friendly but sometimes I cannot stop thinking if they have some hidden motives for this friendliness.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 am

Drake wrote:

We are not in Belgium friend, we are in Peru now.

Exactly, sometimes Peruvians think that I don´t understand spanish and say things they should have left unsaid. What I have noticed is that jeleasy is rooted very strong in this society and that makes people act muy tonto. Also everyone is very gossip here. Like I said most of the people are very friendly but sometimes I cannot stop thinking if they have some hidden motives for this friendliness.

With all due respect, one must ask how much of that is Peru and how much might be you?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 am

Jealousy and Gossip are one of the roots of Peruvian society. One time I read
about an American that joined the Peacecorps and was sent to small town in
Ecuador(similar culture, same attitudes and behavior) that was very close to the frontier with Peru.

Within the text that he relates his experience with a barrio society.
He described the excess of gossip around him, the lies and the verbal
hostility against him. He also talked about his own awareness of the
shortcomings that the people around him had. The american had been
a low income farmer all his life and the purpose of his visit was to
distribute the relief money in order to lift that community out of
poverty.

The process of trying to remove poverty is described in a detailed
way. Everytime that he had a new enterprise to set up. People
demanded him to just give them the money directly without doing
any work. Then when he finally was able to setup a working cooperative.
People start sabotaging it because they could not accept that a gringos
advice worked better that everything they tried before. It was a
small community of ninety people. Out of the 90 people only two
learned to work properly and learned on how to reinvest money.
When the American left most of the community changed the
story saying that he was corrupt and because of this corruption
this 2 people were rich. When the lies reached the main office of the
Peacecorps. The american simply showed the logbook that he kept
that detailed how much people worked (only those two worked the
majority or hours at the coop, the rest worked for 2 hours daily
and then used the money the party while the two that worked all
day had savings and reinvested their capital).

At the end the farmers conclusion is that most of the people
he visited deserved to be poor due to their way of thinking.
And that this people were the reason of poverty actually and
not the lack of money. That providing them with free money
in any way is a mistake as they are not productive members
of society.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:10 pm

falconagain wrote:At the end the farmers conclusion is that most of the people
he visited deserved to be poor due to their way of thinking.
And that this people were the reason of poverty actually and
not the lack of money. That providing them with free money
in any way is a mistake as they are not productive members
of society.

Poor people don't trust rich people because they blame rich people for their poverty.

Many poor people think that if people are rich then it's because they are involved in criminal activities or they are good liars or estafadores.
You often hear people saying in Peru. ''It's a rich area because there's a lot of narcotrafico''.

It's almost impossible to get rich in Peru in an honest way.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register