Pelican and Dolphin Deaths Northern Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pelican and Dolphin Deaths Northern Peru

Postby alan » Tue May 08, 2012 8:44 am

It´s sad and unsettling; hundreds of dolphins and countless pelicans are washing up dead on the beaches of Northern Peru and experts cannot agree on the cause of death, or even if the events are related. It is a developing story, so I thought I´d open this thread in case anybody wanted to comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/world ... .html?_r=1

LIMA, Peru — Late last year, fishermen began finding dead dolphins, hundreds of them, washed up on Peru’s northern coast. Now, seabirds have begun dying, too, and the government has yet to conclusively pinpoint a cause.

Officials insist that the two die-offs are unrelated. The dolphins are succumbing to a virus, they suggest, and the seabirds are dying of starvation because anchovies are in short supply.

But even three months after officials began testing the dolphins, the government has not released definitive results, and there is growing suspicion among the public and scientists that there might be more to the story. Some argue that offshore oil exploration could be disturbing wildlife, for example, and others fear that biotoxins or pesticides might be working their way up the food chain.

At least 877 dolphins and more than 1,500 birds, most of them brown pelicans and boobies, have died since the government began tracking the deaths in February, the Environment Ministry said last week. The dolphins, many of which appeared to have decomposed in the ocean before washing ashore, were found in the Piura and Lambayeque regions, not far from the border with Ecuador

Kelly

Re: Pelican and Dolphin Deaths Northern Peru

Postby Kelly » Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 am

I read yesterday that the gov't is now recommending people stay off the northern beaches.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue May 08, 2012 4:16 pm

was planning on going to mancora next month, are they warning people to stay out of the water up there too?
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue May 08, 2012 5:24 pm

perhaps they will have some more answers by next month, but as of now, I don't think Northern Peru is a place to visit.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/07/world/ame ... index.html
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 am

No reason not to visit northern Peru or eat fish. No reason to plunge northern Peru into economic problems because a group of Peru's most intellectual and scientifically-versed (its politicians) tell you to not eat fish.

Pelicans died of hunger because the summer hasn't ended when it should have. Their food source is too far out at sea and birds live on land.

Dolphins died of something the govt. doesn't want you to know about. Funny how quickly that was determined while the rest of the investigation has taken months.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 am

stuart wrote:
Dolphins died of something the govt. doesn't want you to know about. Funny how quickly that was determined while the rest of the investigation has taken months.

Hey Stuart,

Not too sure what you mean? Sounds like politicians blaming it on the weather is politically more viable than admitting that maybe they have turned a blind eye to over-fishing, or that they have not been able to control polluters, or worse, that they are facing a a virus that will, as you correctly mention damage the tourist industry.

It has been a long summer, but frankly I am enjoying it less knowing that it has these kinds of repercussions. A damn shame. Hopefully it is a one-off and not part of a continuing trend of warmer, longer summers.
cbr600

Postby cbr600 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 pm

It is more thank likely a virus, previously unknown - remember the Asian bird flu virus.

So far it has affected the northern boundaries of our ocean - I am pleased to say that the marine life between Lima and Paracas seem unaffected by whatever it is.

Without wishing to advertise, I work for an NGO which researches the coastal bottlenose dolphin population between Lima and Paracas. If anyone is interested in more info please let me know.

Anyone interested in attending the protest march this Tuesday -

http://sociedadyhabitat.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/332149576848047/

C.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat May 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Besides the weather conditions, there is also problems with the magnetic poles; whales
and dolphins as well as birds have certain organs that rely on the magnetic poles for
guidance when they travel. This changes in the magnetic poles are cyclical, there
was no way to avoid them or change the fate of this animals. They will get worse
in the next 12 months at least. We will see more wales, dolphins and birds die then.
Hopefully nature sees fit to get rid of get a percentage of the human population
in proportion to the animals.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Interesting article in light of the seismic oil exploration that happened off coast of Northern Peru a few months ago.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1OGMK0.DTL
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat May 12, 2012 5:04 pm

I understand that thousands of birds have died on Chilean beaches recently as well.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat May 12, 2012 6:50 pm

They said the birds in Chile are getting caught in fishing nets. Different cause of death, but the same reason - the birds are staying further south to find the fish. The birds up here are starving because the fish haven't migrated to warmer waters yet, since the southern waters are still warm.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed May 16, 2012 5:35 am

They deaths have spread as far south as Chile. Looks like none of the Pacific coast beaches of south america is safe. This is happening in my front yard . Pimentel beach !

http://diariocorreo.pe/m/nota/87637/hal ... -de-chile/
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 16, 2012 6:49 pm

:?

Did you read the posts above yours?
musiclover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby musiclover » Fri May 18, 2012 2:33 pm

We were just at Tortugas and went to the Port of Casma (only four hours north of Lima) and there were dozens of dead pelicans still lying on the shores. If you want to enter the water after seeing that okay...but we went to other beaches for swimming. So far we're healthy! :D
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 am

I am wondering if they will dispose properly of the dead fish as it is not fit for human consumption.
I am also wondering if this will affect the fishing industry in the Peruvian coast (how much would
be the losses in US$).
salintl

Postby salintl » Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 am

Further support for the sonar hypothesis:

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/ ... ?src=twrhp
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Wed May 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Historically when the waters near Peru warm quickly. Witch they have. The bait fish move way off shore where the cold waters are. The fishing charts show this to be closer to Australia at the present time. So I can understand the birds and the older Dolphins dieing off from lack of food. As far as sonar exploring for oil brings a big maybe. Not that I would trust what the oil explorers tell me. But you also have to filter out anyone trying to stop this exploration by trying to link everything to the exploration for oil. They are trying to say the dolphins got the bends. As a young man, myself and most everyone I new would free dive. We would dive the 80' deep areas in the Bahamas for lobsters all day. As long as you never used dive equipment or took compressed air down with you there was no way to compress excess gasses in your blood. You only got in trouble diving with tanks. Now since dolphins take air from the surface how could they get the bends.
This is more of a question than an answer.
As far as selling the fish. They are bid on at the auctions and no one I know will buy anything suspect. Diseases may be hard to detect but the rest is done by eye. And no one has said the fish are diseased. They would be banned from all the ports of entry.
I still feel its lack of food. But if they are using explosives for exploration. Then that's obvious.
Last edited by captsirl on Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 30, 2012 1:34 pm

This past week, there was a big shellfish die-off, too.
http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-shellfi ... 44797.html
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 pm

During the 80s and 90s the Government always promised to the population that they were
going to install filters in each one of the waste collectors that dump garbage into the sea.

So far nothing has been done. Maybe this government should start by doing that. Anyway
it is the country food supply at risk. If we as Peruvians do not do anything to fix then we
really do deserve massive starvation as a consequence.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register