Mailing a letter?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mailing a letter?

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 am

It appears that virtually everyone has no idea how to send a letter to the USA. I have to submit an original signature to the court; no emails,scans, faxes.

The entire process is frustrating; where to buy envelopes, stamps, etc. If anyone has any ideas; please HELP!
I live in Surquillo; 3 blocks from the Plaza Vea on Av. Principal. I have been told the nearest correo is far away; so much for a post office even in the smallest towns (as USA).

Other than a few inconveniences; I find Peru & its customs & people - DELIGHTFUL!!!

Muchas gracias,
Philip
[email protected]
271-3849

Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mailing a letter?

Postby Saramira222 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 am

It is not that hard to mail a letter to the USA. It may not arrive, but most do. Envelopes-go to one of these places they call a "libreria" there they will sell you envelopes per unit. Check to see if the flaps have glue, if not you will need to glue it.

No such things as buying stamps here. You need to get your letter all ready, and then take it to the post office and they will stamp it there. Unfortunately, I do not know where there is a post office in Surquillo, but in Miraflores there are a few. I would think that Serpost has a website which may list locations. Just remember that it may take 2 - 3 weeks to get there and make sure to put EEUU on the address in large letters.

Good luck!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 am

I believe that the envelope needs to be open when you take it to SERPOST, also, so they can check the contents.
Saramira222
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Saramira222 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Have never had them ask to view the contents of my letter, and would be greatly offended if they did. :evil:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 pm

I always had good experiences with SERPOST.

When I lived in Tarapoto, they even called me everytime that mail for me arrived at their office.
And their staff is more friendly than the one in Europe.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:38 pm

You're on Av. Principal in the Aurora Este area =- there's actually a serpost fairly close to you - just follow Principal down to the end where it intersects with Villaran, then take a right towards Marsano.

AV. MANUEL VILLARAN NO. 997, LIMA SURQUILLO
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:20 pm

I've never had Serpost object to my mailing sealed letters. Perhaps they want to see the contents of packages but they have never asked to see the contents of my letters. However, my local Serpost office in Pueblo Libre is small and they know me.

Out of the ten or so letters I have sent none have gone astray, altho one did take over 4 weeks to arrive.

Besides Serpost offices, if you look around you may find private Serpost affiliates. I have used one (in a travel agency) a couple of times when my local Serpost was closed (for renovations) with good results.

However, I don't know if I would trust Serpost for any important document.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

That may be that it's only packages. It's not first hand on my part, I just remember someone recently saying here on the forum that they had to have a package (or something?) unsealed when they went to mail it.
mtwilson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mtwilson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 am

I can vouch for SERPOST as well. I have sent several letters without a problem, just takes a while. Whenever I have an important document to send I usually use FedEx. It is more expensive of course, but it gets to the receiver quickly and I can track it online. Many offices around Lima just check their web site.
Mike
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:39 pm

whats the standard time for a letter to get here from the states. say from florida, with normal postage?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I always received my mail from SERPOST. But the times differ.

I often get mail from the UK and Ireland. Mail from Ireland arrives after only 3 days. Mail from the UK between 3 days and 1 week. I think they only send mail to Peru on certain days of the week.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:07 pm

It usually takes mail 7-10 days to get here from Florida.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:57 pm

thanks.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:47 pm

What about packages to the USA?
It would appear this will be a pricey situation; based on the fee for a one page letter - s/.7.20.
Anyone really understand the policies on sending and receiving packages; I sent several to my then gf, I now realize there were prohibited items in same.

They took a while to arrive; but never refused delivery in Peru.
Would anyone recommend sending a computer (laptop) to Peru; with customs/tariffs?
It has a virus & I left in the USA as so expensive to fix; here, I have a contact for free repair.

Gracias,
Philip
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 am

it's been like a week and a half since my mom has mailed me my credit card, can it take this long sometimes? u.s mail from florida.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:What about packages to the USA?
It would appear this will be a pricey situation; based on the fee for a one page letter - s/.7.20.
Anyone really understand the policies on sending and receiving packages; I sent several to my then gf, I now realize there were prohibited items in same.

They took a while to arrive; but never refused delivery in Peru.
Would anyone recommend sending a computer (laptop) to Peru; with customs/tariffs?
It has a virus & I left in the USA as so expensive to fix; here, I have a contact for free repair.

Gracias,
Philip

Care to elaborate what those prohibited items were, Philip? I don't want my wife sending prohibited items to her family and risk them being confiscated.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 am

renodante wrote:it's been like a week and a half since my mom has mailed me my credit card, can it take this long sometimes? u.s mail from florida.

Hopefully, you won't see some funny charges on it.
I'd be scared caca less to mail a credit card.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:13 am

renodante wrote:it's been like a week and a half since my mom has mailed me my credit card, can it take this long sometimes? u.s mail from florida.

Every time my mom mails me something Florida, right about the time I start panicking, it shows up. I'd give it two weeks before I got too worried.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

I had checked with a site on the Internet; not sure, as my problem now is mailing to the USA.
I remember it had to do with clothing & stuffed animals, etc. Peruvians aparently love American items.
The itmes were eventually received; but it took 5 weeks???
rideout

Postby rideout » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:41 pm

There is a list of prohibited items (US to Peru) located somewhere on the USPS website, but I am not sure that it is strictly followed.

When we get packages from Florida, it has taken as long as 4 weeks, the average is about 3 but there is a lot of variation.

Personally, I wouldn't send a laptop from the US (and I know there are probably people here who have just flashed their airline ID at Serpost and the Serpost personnel even went to their house and set it up for them :wink:) but the problem is, there is no way to tell what figure customs may come up with for taxes/duties and it may end up costing more than it is worth.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Kelly wrote:

Every time my mom mails me something Florida, right about the time I start panicking, it shows up. I'd give it two weeks before I got too worried.

it's been two weeks but i'll hold off panic/rage for another day or two i guess.
could it be the way it was addressed? i'm pretty sure i told her

my name
name of street, apartment number
miraflores lima 18
lima, peru.

they couldn't possibly mess that up could they. this bites.

Hopefully, you won't see some funny charges on it.
I'd be scared caca less to mail a credit card.

it's not activated. pretty sure it's impossible for someone to activate it.
rideout

Postby rideout » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

renodante wrote:it's not activated. pretty sure it's impossible for someone to activate it.

The problem could be ... they open it up, write down the numbers on the front, the 3 number security code on the back, name, and expiration date - as soon as you activate it, they are good to go.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I heard on the news thar Serpost had been on strike for several days but they're back on business, so it may take a little longer than usual

Fausto
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 pm

The SERPOST office at the airport is open 7 days a week.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:45 am

FHCZ wrote:I heard on the news thar Serpost had been on strike for several days but they're back on business, so it may take a little longer than usual

Fausto

awesome thanks for the info, that must explain it.

The problem could be ... they open it up, write down the numbers on the front, the 3 number security code on the back, name, and expiration date - as soon as you activate it, they are good to go

then they shall feel my wrath.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 pm

SERPOST always wants you to show what you are going to put in the envelope. No big thing.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:33 pm

renodante wrote:it's not activated. pretty sure it's impossible for someone to activate it.

Depends on the financial institution. There have been fraud on cards that haven't been activated, there have been fraud on cards that don't exist. You'd be surprised...
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 pm

FHCZ wrote:I heard on the news thar Serpost had been on strike for several days but they're back on business, so it may take a little longer than usual

Fausto

Ok, that makes sense then. I sent a package via USPS at the end of July and my friends haven't received it yet.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Ok, that makes sense then. I sent a package via USPS at the end of July and my friends haven't received it yet.

this is such a relief (hopefully, still haven't received it)

rama0929 wrote:

Depends on the financial institution. There have been fraud on cards that haven't been activated, there have been fraud on cards that don't exist. You'd be surprised...

i'll check for signs of the letter being tampered with and either way, tell my bank to keep an eye out for extra charges. maybe i'll let them know for a while each time i make a charge so they can have a record.

damn, dark times we're living in...
Joellek

Postby Joellek » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:00 am

Hi all,

I have just recently moved to Lima (Surco) and one of my friends mailed one of my suitcases via USPS to Peru as I could not take it with me. I have been tracking its progress on the Serpost website but it now tell me that "EL ENVIO FUE ENTREGADO EL 16/08/2012 AL DESTINATARIO " which I have assumed to mean that the package has been received. The problem is that I have not received it and I have no idea what to do!
Kimberlina

Postby Kimberlina » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Joellek - I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I will be moving to Lima for six months starting in January. I'm thinking that I may want to mail some of my items, rather than bringing them in suitcases. Your situation concerns me and I will be following to see if it is resolved. In general, have you heard that it is relatively safe to mail packages from the U.S. to Lima?

thanks and good luck! :|
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:11 am

Joellek wrote:Hi all,

I have just recently moved to Lima (Surco) and one of my friends mailed one of my suitcases via USPS to Peru as I could not take it with me. I have been tracking its progress on the Serpost website but it now tell me that "EL ENVIO FUE ENTREGADO EL 16/08/2012 AL DESTINATARIO " which I have assumed to mean that the package has been received. The problem is that I have not received it and I have no idea what to do!

contact them directly. they're probably holding on to it so they can open it up and tax you for certain things in it.

i had a used monitor sent here once and it was a bureaucratic cluster**** that took a few days to take care of.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 am

I am sorry I can't help with the suitcase issue; but I am wondering why you couldn't bring it?
I had a HORRIFIC experience with Spirit Air in that the travel agency didn't inform me that there was a one (1) checked bag policy on the flight to Lima.

As I was moving here & to be married; I had four (4) bags; I was willing to pay for these bags, but DENIED.
Both Spirit & Travelocity have refused to issue a refund; I was forced to use Aeromexico with no restrictions!
I have come to realize that Spirit doesn't adhere to ethical business practices; they are by far the most complained about American airline. See my post about "Spirit - Don't do business" in the forums.

Enjoy your stay in Peru; my wife & I are always willing to help in any situations.
As you will find, using this site is an excellent way to "navigate" the new territory.

Philip
[email protected]
PS - I am trying to estimate the costs of a suitcase from PA, USA to Lima; would you be willing to share this info
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am

FWIW, if you have a tracking number from USPS, you can cross check it with Serpost.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:38 pm

have your friends still not received what you sent them rama?

i still haven't gotten my letter.
Joellek

Postby Joellek » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I am sorry I can't help with the suitcase issue; but I am wondering why you couldn't bring it?
I had a HORRIFIC experience with Spirit Air in that the travel agency didn't inform me that there was a one (1) checked bag policy on the flight to Lima.

I had to send the bag for the same reason. Luckily I realised I could only bring one bag the day before my flight and was able to give my extra suitcase to a friend to mail. I am never planning on flying with Spirit again!

Ok so I have an update. This morning I received an 'aviso de llegada' saying that my package was ready to pick from the central depot in Lince. I have to bring my passport with me as well as having to pay a S/.7.00 de pago de presentacion and S/.1.00 a day for storage. I will head over tomorrow and will keep you updated.

Philipc4u59 wrote:PS - I am trying to estimate the costs of a suitcase from PA, USA to Lima; would you be willing to share this info

My suitcase weighed about 14.5kg (32 lbs) and I payed about $180 which was the best rate I could find. If I am indeed able to get my suitcase I think it will have been worth it. I also shipped my suitcase from PA
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

renodante wrote:have your friends still not received what you sent them rama?

I don't know, I tried contacting them, but you know how things go with people down there; no e-mails, phone calls or texts...

According to the Serpost website, it's at the Los Olivos office, if they haven't picked it up, at least they know where to find it.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 am

as expensive as it is i'm going strictly fed ex, ups etc from now on. this is ridiculous. i can't be biting my nails waiting every time someone mails me something important like this.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:17 pm

renodante wrote:as expensive as it is i'm going strictly fed ex, ups etc from now on. this is ridiculous. i can't be biting my nails waiting every time someone mails me something important like this.

From what I've gathered, they're just as bad, if not worse. Of course I say this with the caveat that this is 2nd hand information. Personal experience, I haven't had issues with USPS/Serpost until now.

Of course, the postal strike didn't help
http://www.rpp.com.pe/2012-08-10-trabaj ... 10758.html
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 pm

at this point i'm pretty sure i'm never getting that piece of mail. it's been a month.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:18 pm

renodante wrote:at this point i'm pretty sure i'm never getting that piece of mail. it's been a month.

The sender probably didn't write your address correctly on the envelope.

I sendet last week an envelope to Belgium and it arrived after 6 days. And Belgium is a longer walk from Peru than the US.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 pm

then what's the 100% official way to address a letter to an apartment in miraflores?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04 pm

renodante wrote:then what's the 100% official way to address a letter to an apartment in miraflores?

I suggest you go to your local Serpost office. It's probably laying around there.

In your case, it will be likely that your doorman knows more. Maybe, he thought there might have been something of value in it.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 pm

I suggest you go to your local Serpost office. It's probably laying around there

probably smashing my head against a wall repeatedly would be about as effective as doing that. i'm sure they'd jump right on digging around looking for my stuff...rrrrrrright :lol:
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Serpost employees have been on strike for 25 days, so there must be a great deal of backlogged mail

http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1454226/noticia-empleados-serpost-levantaron-huelga-empezaran-trabajar-desde-manana

Fausto
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:42 am

renodante wrote:
I suggest you go to your local Serpost office. It's probably laying around there
probably smashing my head against a wall repeatedly would be about as effective as doing that. i'm sure they'd jump right on digging around looking for my stuff...rrrrrrright :lol:

Depends...

I was expecting a package (containing a book) sent from the US. It was never delivered and I had given up hope. But I happened to go to my local Serpost office to mail a letter. The woman at the counter glanced at the return address on my letter, then started rumaging around in a cabinet, pulled out my package and handed it to me. She claimed the carrier had left a notice that I should come to the office to pick it up. But I never got any notice.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 pm

13 years ago I ordered a book through Amazon. After a month orso it still didn't arrive, so I complained with Amazon. They send me a replacement book, which arrived after like 2 weeks.
Then 3 months later the original package arrived..
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

rama0929 wrote:
renodante wrote:have your friends still not received what you sent them rama?

I don't know, I tried contacting them, but you know how things go with people down there; no e-mails, phone calls or texts...

According to the Serpost website, it's at the Los Olivos office, if they haven't picked it up, at least they know where to find it.

They picked it up yesterday.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 am

got mine this morning.

all is well in the cosmos.
Windycity

Postby Windycity » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Kimberlina wrote:Joellek - I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I will be moving to Lima for six months starting in January. I'm thinking that I may want to mail some of my items, rather than bringing them in suitcases. Your situation concerns me and I will be following to see if it is resolved. In general, have you heard that it is relatively safe to mail packages from the U.S. to Lima?

thanks and good luck! :|

I moved to Peru 3 months ago with a 6 years old and a 9 months old in a stroller and 20 pieces of luggage- I was told people were taking pictures of me- I was the attraction I guess - the point is, is always cheaper to pay extra luggage than send it trough FedEx or USPS - I had a few suitcases for free and I payed an average of $200 per extra piece- I even had over sized and over weight pieces because doing the math it was cheaper that way- you pay more but you fit more pounds- best airline to fly? TACA in Chicago at least- no limit in luggage and they even weighted every piece and told me if a piece was over for a couple pounds, I took some items off that suitcase and put it in another suitcase that was under weight- I spent 2 hours at the counter, 5 people helped me in total- wow- I can't believed I took that plain with 2 kids and my 63 years old handicap aunt- God was with us- I got all my luggage complete - wish u luck :)

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register