Buyer Beware!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Buyer Beware!

Postby caliguy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am

As an importer of industrial machines, I often go online to view my competitors equipment here in Lima. I saw a machine advertised at a very low price, and the photo of the machine looked well maintained, so I called the people to make an appointment to go look at it. Well, after seeing what they had, I asked if this is the machine they had advertised on the internet, and they said they just sold that machine yesterday. I also had an experience of somebody taking a photo of my machine from my ad and putting it on their ad, so I called them and asked if that was his machine, and he said yes, so then I emailed the internet site and told them about someone using my photo illegally, and soon after their ad was pulled off.
Another one is when I was going to buy a 2005 Dodge Caravan with only 40,000 kilometers, so I thought this car would be in very good condition. When I went to see the car in person, I noticed it had been re-painted and the interior was in very bad shape, and the motor was filthy with oil and must have at least 100,000 miles or more. Must have turned back the odometer. Just a word of caution, be careful when buying something online!

every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buyer Beware!

Postby stuart » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 am

It's a cultural thing. If you can part a fool from his money with deceit and fraud, or game the system in some way, you've done something to be proud of and to be respected for. You can laugh about how vivo you were and feel warm and good inside. There's no dishonor in it, its just you trying to get by. If someone complains, they're just not as good as you. Do something big and bold enough, and you're a hero and national celebrity. As you've probably noticed, it extends to at least 40% of the population, more than enough to make it a serious enough issue that it wastes a lot of time and money.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 pm

True, whenever you try to buy something online; there is the possibility of a scam.
In this case when there is industrial machines and cars involved the scams are more
common. There is always a trade off. I remember when I purchased a fridge in the
Curacao in Lima. It was defective but I could not get rid of it according to the contract,
then I called an engineer friend of mine and he explained to me how inexpensive and
low quality were the pieces. If there is a next time, I will buy in SAGA or Ripley, they
have a good warranty system and also their products have certain amount of quality
control.

Still this does not solve the problem of getting rid of all the Chinese defective products
that are sold in Peru.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:11 pm

falconagain wrote: I remember when I purchased a fridge in the
Curacao in Lima.

You too? I had the same problem. I bought a Samsung fridge at La Curacao. The fridge was always hot on the outside. And the things in the front that's supposed to give cooled water was always leaking.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:20 am

I bought a washer at Ripleys, and after unpackaging it, found out it was hecho in Mexico, and its a Whirpool! It doesnt even do a good job of washing clothes, just goes through a lot of fancy cycles. It is NOT heavy duty to be sure.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register