Not flushing toilet paper?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not flushing toilet paper?

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:58 pm

I always flush toilet paper at my home and anywhere else I stay in Peru and never had a toilet blocked.

Is it a myth why people don't flush it.

Or do they love to look and smell the used toilet paper from the previous toilet visitor.
The smell at restaurant and shopping centres toilets is horrible due to the used toilet paper piled up in bins.

Those days, I'd rather go between the bushes.

Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Not flushing toilet paper?

Postby Icachico » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

I remember when my wife 1st came to the US.
We were staying in a hotel in Miami & she went to the bathroom and soon was calling out to me wanting to know where to put the tp since there was no basket in there.
I told her not to worry just flush it that's what we do here in the states.

It's an unbreakable habit.
Even to this day @ home, she still puts it in the waste paper basket.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 am

i think it depends on the building/location.

if i'm outside of lima i comply ,don't want to be the one that has some plumber have to deal with crappy water. in lima, it gets flushed, no matter what or where. especially at my house.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm

This is one STINKY topic; summer is comming - so pick out your favorite bush.
"Tp" is much more bio-degradeable today, than in years past...
I am glad I had my lunch, before reading these comments.
amigorick

Postby amigorick » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:51 pm

After paying an arm and a leg to upgrade our sewer system, I'm not will to take the risk. As they say, when in Rome …
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emanaku » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 am

I had to laugh when I saw this topic - the exact same discussion started some three years ago in an expat forum for people living on tenerife island (one of the canary islands in the Atlantic, part of Spain). There was even a person posting photos of toilet paper dissolving in water until no paper could be seen any more ...

In Greece and Spain it was (and partly is still) normal to put the toilet paper in extra baskets because of the thin pipes of the sewing system (was cheaper when the system was built). These thinner pipes were easily congested with toilet paper (especially when you use the "4 layers" kind ;-) )

Whenever the systems in these countries get modernized then they will usually replace the old thin pipes by modern thicker pipes.

Also in areas where it is usually very dry there might be not enough water to clear the sewage system every now and then - then the toilet paper in there can add to the problem.

If there is a thin pipe and a lot of toilet paper - then you get congestion. That happens easily to restaurants and hotels in older parts of Peru with an old sewage system. E.g. a couple of months ago at Starbucks in Cuzco: They had to shut down the toilet completely and then reconstruct their toilet system (although I do not know for sure if too much toilet paper was the reason for this). Until this very day they do not have toilet paper in the cabins at all ;-).

Here in the middle of Ollantaytambo I would not dare to throw all the toilet paper into the toilets ...

Happy toileting for all of you!! ;-)
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:59 am

[quote="emanaku"
a couple of months ago at Starbucks in Cuzco: They had to shut down the toilet completely and then reconstruct their toilet system (although I do not know for sure if too much toilet paper was the reason for this). Until this very day they do not have toilet paper in the cabins at all ;-).

Starbucks usually recycle what comes from the bathroom and sell it on as overpriced coffee :D
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 am

emanaku wrote:I had to laugh when I saw this topic - the exact same discussion started some three years ago in an expat forum for people living on tenerife island (one of the canary islands in the Atlantic, part of Spain). There was even a person posting photos of toilet paper dissolving in water until no paper could be seen any more ...

In Greece and Spain it was (and partly is still) normal to put the toilet paper in extra baskets because of the thin pipes of the sewing system (was cheaper when the system was built). These thinner pipes were easily congested with toilet paper (especially when you use the "4 layers" kind ;-) )

Whenever the systems in these countries get modernized then they will usually replace the old thin pipes by modern thicker pipes.

Also in areas where it is usually very dry there might be not enough water to clear the sewage system every now and then - then the toilet paper in there can add to the problem.

If there is a thin pipe and a lot of toilet paper - then you get congestion. That happens easily to restaurants and hotels in older parts of Peru with an old sewage system. E.g. a couple of months ago at Starbucks in Cuzco: They had to shut down the toilet completely and then reconstruct their toilet system (although I do not know for sure if too much toilet paper was the reason for this). Until this very day they do not have toilet paper in the cabins at all ;-).

Here in the middle of Ollantaytambo I would not dare to throw all the toilet paper into the toilets ...

Happy toileting for all of you!! ;-)

"I am the great Cornholio..I need tp for my bunghole!"
And whenever I travel to Peru, I alway remember to bring that good ole 2 ply roll with me. And when I go out, I always stuff a bunch of it in my pocket so I know I'll be able to wipe with comfort.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:49 am

panman wrote:[quote="emanaku"
a couple of months ago at Starbucks in Cuzco: They had to shut down the toilet completely and then reconstruct their toilet system (although I do not know for sure if too much toilet paper was the reason for this). Until this very day they do not have toilet paper in the cabins at all ;-).

Starbucks usually recycle what comes from the bathroom and sell it on as overpriced coffee :D

Thanks for that tidbit, Panny.
No wonder Starbucks gives me the runs.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

panman wrote:

That's why their 'coffee' has an 'unique' taste. No one else sells that 'unique' taste.

What I don't understand is that people on throw the paper in the bin. Paper is far thinner and less compact than 'the other stuff'. So, I don't understand why people put 'the other stuff' also in the bin.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:49 pm

I had a discussion about the "not flushing toilet paper".

I always thought it was about having thin or clogged pipes, but I was corrected a few days ago by some constructors. It is to do with the construction norms that do not exist.

In other countries there is usually a hollow air pipe, that normally goes to the roof. It is not really air exhaust from the toilets, but it is used when flushing for the toilets to have a suction for them to work well.

So the constructors are just saving money as they only need to do what needs to be done.
BobLowry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby BobLowry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Another reason they don't want tp in the sewer system is that, as of now, only 25% of the sewerage gets treated before it is sent to the ocean. Yes, raw sewerage is dumped daily into the ocean. They are building facilities that will treat about 75% 2-3 years from now. I guess they don't want all that tp in the ocean. I have heard but not confirmed how far out into the ocean the end of the pipe is. It is also another reason that ocean swimming near Lima is only for the hardy.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:22 pm

I would say only for the FOOLhardy!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Our building just had a huge backup and it was from people flushing paper and other things (tampons) and such.

Also, in many districts, you can actually be fined for doing so because the sewer systems are just not equipped to deal with it.

I know it is a legal infraction in San Borja and Lince, but I am not sure what other districts.

The building pipes are not capable of handling it, the sewage treatment is not adequate and the many of the municipality pipes are not capable of keeping up with the growth of use and need to limit the stress.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm

kpw wrote:I had a discussion about the "not flushing toilet paper".

I always thought it was about having thin or clogged pipes, but I was corrected a few days ago by some constructors. It is to do with the construction norms that do not exist.

In other countries there is usually a hollow air pipe, that normally goes to the roof. It is not really air exhaust from the toilets, but it is used when flushing for the toilets to have a suction for them to work well.

So the constructors are just saving money as they only need to do what needs to be done.

Interesting.

For the most part, I flush TP in Lima. Elsewhere, not so much. One of the side benefits (small as it may be) is that I use less TP in the states, having to learn to economize :)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 am

rama0929 wrote: One of the side benefits (small as it may be) is that I use less TP in the states, having to learn to economize :)

Always use TP on both sides. That saves 50% paper. :D :D :D
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:40 am

this is a funny topic. i remember my first trip to Lima, i was staying at my inlaws house. i was flushing tp down the commode, and about 15 minutes later, a neighbor came knocking on our door. she said somebody on the block is flushing tp down the toilet. then i appeared at the door, and she exclaimed, "its the gringo"! tell him no tp in the toilet! and ever since, i have been paranoid to throw tp in the toilet.
p.s. we have an access door to the sewer, and i have seen whole mangos and the like in there, and not to mention "cucas". its like looking in the eye of the devil!:O
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I know it's pretty gross, but this topic needs regular updating for new arrivals in Latin America as many gringos I meet still look at me as if I've just suggested we go on a murder spree, when I tell them about not flushing toilet paper. A couple of observations, generally, most of the time I've had no problem flushing TP, but to be on the safe side, I go for the double flush, the second being for the toilet paper. I'm very nervous of the single flush because I once blocked a toilet in a friend's home. In these circumstances, sometimes even I will use the basket, unless I'm sure of my ground.

If you're wary of the two-flush solution or have strong opinions on the environment and water conservation, a friend suggested a good way to reduce the yuck fact is to flush after the first wipe and put the rest of the TP in the basket.

Also there may be a cultural thing here, or it might be my imagination, but I've noticed the TP disappears v quickly when there have been several chicas in the apartment at once - a new roll can go within an afternoon, it's like they're eating the stuff - perhaps this is one reason blockages occur. So for those of you who don't normally keep a basket in your bathroom, I'd suggest putting one in when you've got a lot of visitors, or expect to spend the part of the day with a plunger in your hand.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Another major reason of not flushing the toilet paper is the poor condition of the sewage pipes of Sedapal. In some districts like SJM an VMT these pipes explode every once in a while making considerable damages. According to Sedapal it is because pipes get stuck with all kind on things (not only toilet paper). This is the norm in most Latin American big cities. I only know Buenos Aires and Rio where people normally flush the toilet paper. This might be the case in other places.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 am

The 'flushing of toilet paper' as a forum topic ?

I think some people have too much time on their hands.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:Also there may be a cultural thing here, or it might be my imagination, but I've noticed the TP disappears v quickly when there have been several chicas in the apartment at once - a new roll can go within an afternoon

I wouldn't be surprised if they're not putting a handful in their purse - it's so rare to find TP in a public bathroom, women tend to stock up to make sure we've got some handy when we need it.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 am

Where are the purse size packets of tissues - for personal use?
Klinex must not be well represented in Peru; everyone carries a "roll" vs. a convenient packet.
Yes, if you don't go to an UPSCLALE PLACE; you will not find TP in the rest rooms - SHOCKING!!!

Philip :roll:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I know it's pretty gross, but this topic needs regular updating for new arrivals in Latin America as many gringos I meet still look at me as if I've just suggested we go on a murder spree, when I tell them about not flushing toilet paper. A couple of observations, generally, most of the time I've had no problem flushing TP, but to be on the safe side, I go for the double flush, the second being for the toilet paper. I'm very nervous of the single flush because I once blocked a toilet in a friend's home. In these circumstances, sometimes even I will use the basket, unless I'm sure of my ground.

If you're wary of the two-flush solution or have strong opinions on the environment and water conservation, a friend suggested a good way to reduce the yuck fact is to flush after the first wipe and put the rest of the TP in the basket.

Also there may be a cultural thing here, or it might be my imagination, but I've noticed the TP disappears v quickly when there have been several chicas in the apartment at once - a new roll can go within an afternoon, it's like they're eating the stuff - perhaps this is one reason blockages occur. So for those of you who don't normally keep a basket in your bathroom, I'd suggest putting one in when you've got a lot of visitors, or expect to spend the part of the day with a plunger in your hand.

HA HA HA Sergio, you should write a book or give training classes on that subject. You will help out many people with that.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I know it's pretty gross, but this topic needs regular updating for new arrivals in Latin America as many gringos I meet still look at me as if I've just suggested we go on a murder spree, when I tell them about not flushing toilet paper. A couple of observations, generally, most of the time I've had no problem flushing TP, but to be on the safe side, I go for the double flush, the second being for the toilet paper. I'm very nervous of the single flush because I once blocked a toilet in a friend's home. In these circumstances, sometimes even I will use the basket, unless I'm sure of my ground.

HA HA HA Sergio, you should write a book or give training classes on that subject. You will help out many people with that.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am

You are forgetting some things.

Yes, it depends on the building age and if has a good system or bog standard one.

It also depends on the loo itself - if it is a cheap piece of crap without much ''suck'' to get the necessary down in the tube then you're screwed.

And finally, us expats are probably used to using a couple of squares of paper for a quick wipe. However, I have noticed that Peruvians (family, especially the wife) will wrap her hand completely in toilet paper, right up to the wrist and beyond like mummifying a dead body, have a quick wipe and bin the lot. That's why people don't put their paper down the loo and why it gets blocked, because of the sheer quantity they use. Phenomenal. No wonder the Amazon is disappearing, that's what I tell my wife with a gasp of ''pobre arboles...'' to try to make the point. Doesn't work.

My wife was using up to TWO ROLLS a day - and I like the good, soft stuff of ''triple hoja'' which costs a fair whack but does a good job. As we have separate bathrooms, I now buy her the enormous industrial rolls of paper from Sodimac and tell her if she doesn't like it, to use less paper or buy her own! Ridiculous, yes. Necessary? Absolutely.

The facts are the facts, folks.
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 am

I am totally aghast out of all of you people commenting on not flushing toilet paper don´t have a clue of the real reason. Do you all live in a cave? In the U. S. all sewer lines that are installed are put to code known as ¨sewer grade¨. If you ever looked at a bubble level close enough, you would see that slightly from center of the glass are two parallel lines. When the level is slight tipped to achieve the bubble exactly between the two lines, that is ¨sewer¨ grade. This is the slight slope that the underground sewer lines must be installed to work efficiently. Because of this slight slope, lines maintain a certain amount of water & saturated paper to initiate and maintain constant decomposition (of paper and you-know-what-else also). This proper installation permits a slow fluid motion everytime a flush is performed. But, in Peru, and many other countries, either they do not know this technique or do not care. Therefore, to prevent clogging and backup of sewer lines in Peru, we really should honor the advice of the good folks in Peru, and not cause any possible hardship or expense by NOT flushing your paper. PLEASE! It is a small inconvenience and can be controlled and the paper can be tied into the waste sack and disposed of daily.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:28 pm

not even partially aghast, but totally?

wow
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:53 pm

americorps wrote:not even partially aghast, but totally?

wow

And the substance of your post is?????----------?
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 pm

sidro wrote:

wow

that your level of aghast about how we chose to post is something I find dramatic and amusing.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:58 pm

timothy wrote:The 'flushing of toilet paper' as a forum topic ?

Better to have too much time on their hands than too much caca on their hands.
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 am

americorps wrote:
sidro wrote:

wow

that your level of aghast about how we chose to post is something I find dramatic and amusing.

If you have a home here in Peru, and being unaware of the circumstances, then you persist in flushing the paper, it truly will be dramatic for you, however, not so amusing.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 pm

I have almost 7 years ago and I understand completely why we do not flush toilet paper.

I just do not feel superior about knowing it.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:16 pm

metal moth wrote:

Better to have too much time on their hands than too much caca on their hands.

OK, the taunt worked ! Here we go....................

It seems that European and subsequent countries of European colonization use Toilet Paper whereas the rest of the world uses water to clean one's backside.

In most Arab/African/Middleeastern countries, the culture is to have clean water available next to the toilet, and use their left hands to spash water on their butts. (the left hand bit comes into play in society: ie: one would never shake hands with the left hand ! Also, in severe punishment for various things, including theives, especially in Muslim countries, the punishment might be to cut off the right hand, thereby making the thief a social pariah).

An interesting but true story: Years ago, one of the most promising young opera singers was from India and she was invited to go to England to give a performance. It was much anticipated by the English high society. The young woman came and gave a very mediocre performance, much to the surprise of everyone, and it was obvious that the woman simply did not want to do her best for this audience.

People were stunned and confused. Finally the true story emerged. It seems that the young woman (who came from a culture that splashed water to clean their butts) was totally disgusted by the idea of toilet paper, and as she faced the audience, all she could think about was that all of the audience used toilet paper! Which simply smears feces as opposed to cleaning it). So while whe was giving her performance to the High Society of England, all she could think was that all of these people were 'unclean', and sitting there with dirty butts ! She was disdainfull, and it showed.

People from Asia, I believe, have the most hygenic method. Most modern toilets have either a small spray hose next to the toilet (which a lot of foriegners call "ass-blasters") or a reservoir of clean water. This spray device does an excellent job of cleaning the old ring.

And in Japan, many toilets have an automatic spray that cleans your butt (or other designated Part) by choosing which button to push. Kind of like combining a butt washing device, and a bidet. Very efficient. Then you use some paper only to dry your butt, or other part.

One becomes addicted to this superior form of hygene. During my recent travels to the US and Scotland, I found myself rather disgusted by having to use only toilet paper ! I found myself taking a partial shower after doing the daily deed!

In my own abode, I have installed an 'ass-blaster'.

So, from my new frame of reference, the only thing toilet paper is good for is blowing one's nose.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 pm

We call it the 'bum gun' - I wrote a blog post about it a while back. There's been one installed in every house I've lived in here.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 am

I started this topic in October 2012.

I never expected that it will be still ''HOT'' after 5 months.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 am

chi chi wrote:I started this topic in October 2012.

You talk just to hear yourself talk, don't you ? Even if you have nothing to contribute.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 am

timothy wrote:

You talk just to hear yourself talk, don't you ? Even if you have nothing to contribute.

So, what do YOU contribute with this comment?
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:07 am

I contribute by re-making the point, as was made in ExPat Converstations in a thread about suggesting a small change in the format of the Forum..

Perhaps the Forum could show who made the last two or three replies ??

Then, not every last post on every subject would be Chi Chi. And Forum members less prolific than you can bring up some new angles on the thread, and invite other comments.

The rest of us could see who else is contributing to the thread.
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 am

timothy wrote:

Tim, I have discovered that Chi Chi will indeed ensure he/she has the last word, no matter if it is relevant or not.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 pm

timothy wrote:
metal moth wrote:

One becomes addicted to this superior form of hygene. During my recent travels to the US and Scotland, I found myself rather disgusted by having to use only toilet paper ! I found myself taking a partial shower after doing the daily deed!

So, from my new frame of reference, the only thing toilet paper is good for is blowing one's nose.

Strange forum topic indeed... but i agree with you. It is a much better form of hygene. Imagine if you had some "dirt" under your armpit... would you wash it off with water and soap or use toilet paper??
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 am

dh2012 wrote:
timothy wrote:
metal moth wrote:

Strange forum topic indeed... but i agree with you. It is a much better form of hygene. Imagine if you had some "dirt" under your armpit... would you wash it off with water and soap or use toilet paper??

To dh2012: Good analogy !
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Time to revisit the toilet paper thread. It's always a controversial topic on Expat Peru. So has anyone installed the bum gun, found a new way to get round the gross factor, or even blocked any WCs recently, creating a minor flood and embarrassed yourself at friends' or in-laws' homes?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 pm

I always flush the toilet paper, both in Surco, as now for years in Miraflores. Only when my kids put like almost a whole roll of paper in the toilet, it sometimes get stuck a bit, but after flushing three or four times that also passes..
Even in the hotel we had the last overflooding like 2 years ago, and that is mostly caused because guests flush more than just toiletpaper. For example sanitary napkins or condoms.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 pm

It is true that flushing tp is.illegal. the.poor.neighbor.on the fitst floor was recently flooded and the.municipality sent.the.junta a.note reminding us of the law. Miraflores.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register