You'll better buy your burger from a street stall.

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

You'll better buy your burger from a street stall.

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am

http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1515473 ... do?ft=grid

KFC got closed in Peru due to not respecting HACCP food hygiene standards and not respecting the opening hours.
They give the honest hardworking burger vendors on the street a bad reputation.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: You'll better buy your burger from a street stall.

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm

When did KFC start selling Hamburgers?

Speaking of cows:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ql7DvbZzq_E
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 pm

All KFC's in the country are closing down or just the store near you?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:32 pm

It's just one store in San Miguel, as far as I know.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Of course chi chi does not get it quite right.

1 store was closed, several were fired and the rest of the staff is being re-trained. (I just was told by KFC)

And of course chi chi´s suggestion that relying on street vendors will solve any sanitary issues is, as we all know, totally absurd and untrue.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Maybe KFC can train their staff not to screw up orders.
Even when you point at the board & scream, "NUMERO QUATRO!" they can still screw it up.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Icachico wrote:Maybe KFC can train their staff not to screw up orders.
Even when you point at the board & scream, "NUMERO QUATRO!" they can still screw it up.

If I worked for KFC and you pointed at the board screaming "NUMERO QUATRO!" I'd be sure to screw up your order.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:07 pm

1 KFC closed because it did not comply with hygiene standards.

It can happen anywhere in the world.

Peruvian street stalls, some are clean some are not clean. I used to eat in San Miguel
in the early 80s and eat diner from the same street stall for 10 years in a row. Then
back in 2009 I ate at a new street stall in San Miguel and I got Meningitis. You never
know. Fortunately there was a pill that cured it in a day, unfortunately I found out
about the pill later after experiencing the meningitis for 10 days.

Our world is very polluted and you never know where or how you could get sick next.
Might be ecoli for lettuce or other stuff. Still we need to better take care of our environment.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm

panman wrote:
Icachico wrote:Maybe KFC can train their staff not to screw up orders.

If I worked for KFC and you pointed at the board screaming "NUMERO QUATRO!" I'd be sure to screw up your order.

Well, Panman I guess I could always do a happy dance like these guys...
http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xjkb ... ebrate_fun
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 am

It's not only the small places where there's sometimes a lack of hygiene.

I was used to work as a chef for some very well known 5 star chain hotels and in some of them the kitchens where filthy.
Do you really think that we would throw a steak in the bin after it felt on the floor and and a colleage accidentaly stepped on it. No, we laugh and throw it back in the pan. Or wash our hands after using the toilet and then preparing your salad. Do you think we would turn our head away or use a handkerchief when sneezing and coughing. Nooooo way. Who cares anyway?

And when a customer complains... I would never complain about food when in a restaurant and send it back because it's over or undercooked.
A booger, pubic hair, spit, saliva, toothplaque, footfungus might be mixed in your food. Once there was a banquet in the hotel I worked in for the management of a big bank.
They laid of 2500 employees and the head chef his wife was one of the laid off employees. We all drooled, spat and picked our nose over the soup casserole. And wiping the sweat of our faces and let it dripping over the main course.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:10 am

chi chi wrote:It's not only the small places where there's sometimes a lack of hygiene.

I was used to work as a chef for some very well known 5 star chain hotels and in some of them the kitchens where filthy.
Do you really think that we would throw a steak in the bin after it felt on the floor and and a colleage accidentaly stepped on it. No, we laugh and throw it back in the pan. Or wash our hands after using the toilet and then preparing your salad. Do you think we would turn our head away or use a handkerchief when sneezing and coughing. Nooooo way. Who cares anyway?

And when a customer complains... I would never complain about food when in a restaurant and send it back because it's over or undercooked.
A booger, pubic hair, spit, saliva, toothplaque, footfungus might be mixed in your food. Once there was a banquet in the hotel I worked in for the management of a big bank.
They laid of 2500 employees and the head chef his wife was one of the laid off employees. We all drooled, spat and picked our nose over the soup casserole. And wiping the sweat of our faces and let it dripping over the main course.

If all of this goes on in 5 star hotel kitchens, imagine what happens to the ignoramus who points at the board screaming "NUMERO QUATRO!" in KFC.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 am

I think I have lost the plot once again. Just to understand it a little better.
The OP starts a conversation slanging off KFC in La Marina over a health notice and suggests we only eat in the street with the lovely venders who do not provide the luxury of basic sanitation and in some cases unknown product content. Following on from this we are subjected to a fully illustrated example of his work ethics in a Five Star Hotel, demonstrating what type of low life he is. Yet in another thread he advertises his idea of opening a Hostel providing top service. I have my suspicians and assume the mustard will be home made.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 pm

panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:It's not only the small places where there's sometimes a lack of hygiene.

If all of this goes on in 5 star hotel kitchens, imagine what happens to the ignoramus who points at the board screaming "NUMERO QUATRO!" in KFC.

Probably the same thing that happens to a stodgy Limey who thinks he's superior to the staff.
Woof!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 pm

i'm not sure how it works in Peru but in the UK places like burger king, mcdonals and kfc etc are franchises that you need to buy into except for maybe prime locations where the company targets.

You open up say a KFC you need to pay the company some ridiculous amount of money to open a shop under their name, somewhere between £75'000 to £150'000. In my home town the person that opened a McDonalds made that money back in a few months. I use to work a 3rd job at week nights in a take away with some turkish guys who wanted to open a KFC, the franchise price they were quoted was £125'000 if i remember correctly.

Now i don't know if it's the same with this case in that ChiChi is mentioning but if it is franchised out to people you really can't blame KFC for these individuals lack of hygiene and i'm pretty sure KFC will do everything possible to sort out this mess and protect their image.

Saying that the KFCs i have been to in the UK are terrrible, understaffed, long waiting times and the tables are never ever clean! It was something my wife always noticed about KFC in the UK and she was right the KFCs in Peru that i have been to have been very clean in comparison!

Oh and sorry it's true Icachico you never mess with the person whos serves food ever! There'd be quiet a few town drunks who give take away staff abuse late at night back home that could learn and understand this lesson! lol
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Worse case i heard of when it came to a staff member putting something in the food was Smegma lol technically a cheese but not one you want on your food lol I'm guessing thats a fail all round for customer and staff member tho lol
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:40 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Worse case i heard of when it came to a staff member putting something in the food was Smegma lol technically a cheese but not one you want on your food lol I'm guessing thats a fail all round for customer and staff member tho lol

That's the last time I'll be eating a Mc Donalds, Burger King, Bembos, or any other kind of cheeseburger.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:44 pm

technically a cheese

:lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 am

panman wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:Worse case i heard of when it came to a staff member putting something in the food was Smegma lol technically a cheese but not one you want on your food lol I'm guessing thats a fail all round for customer and staff member tho lol

That's the last time I'll be eating a Mc Donalds, Burger King, Bembos, or any other kind of cheeseburger.

You neither know where their burger meat comes from. They use the meat that has been scraped of the bones. That's why there are tiny hard bits in their burgers.

Those chain restaurants aren't interested in health, hygiene or the taste of their burgers. They are only interested in MAKING MONEY.

If you want a nice burger and you want to know what has been put into it, then prepare your own burger at home.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 am

[quote="chi chi"
If you want a nice burger and you want to know what has been put into it, then prepare your own burger at home.[/quote]
If I eat burgers I always prepare them at home in bulk and keep them in the freezer, that way I know exactly what's in them and the cheese is always fresh.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats why i have never sent my food back! if you do, it may come back with special seasoning on it! i laughed sooo hard at this post.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:12 pm

If you want a good burger go to in and out in california
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

bobg wrote:If you want a good burger go to in and out in california

i wonder how an in and out would do here. long lines like CA?
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 am

In-and-out is the best burger from any chain in North America that I have tasted. Five Guys are good too but while their burgers taste good...they are also a lot greasier than In-and-out.

As far as hygiene and getting sick from eating food in Peru or anywhere....the ONLY time I got food poisioning (in a real sense) was eating some Chinese food in New York City. There were several times in Peru where I ate something and it didn't quite agree with me...but I never got really sick. I tried Anticuchos 3 times...twice from street vendors and 1 from a restaurant...and although I LOVE the taste....it does not love me...so will stay away from them (but only got a little sick).
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 am

richiecry wrote:In-and-out is the best burger from any chain in North America that I have tasted. Five Guys are good too but while their burgers taste good...they are also a lot greasier than In-and-out.

As far as hygiene and getting sick from eating food in Peru or anywhere....the ONLY time I got food poisioning (in a real sense) was eating some Chinese food in New York City. There were several times in Peru where I ate something and it didn't quite agree with me...but I never got really sick. I tried Anticuchos 3 times...twice from street vendors and 1 from a restaurant...and although I LOVE the taste....it does not love me...so will stay away from them (but only got a little sick).

either you got lucky, or you have a liver like a pit bull!
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 am

caliguy wrote:
richiecry wrote:In-and-out is the best burger from any chain in North America that I have tasted. Five Guys are good too but while their burgers taste good...they are also a lot greasier than In-and-out.

I eat street food all the time. The ONLY time I have had food poisoning here in Peru was the tuna salad from San Antonio. San Antonio is probably the cleanest and nicest place to eat salad in Peru. It just proves that you never really know.

I make sure my food is cooked when I buy at a street stall and I will not buy things generally like ceviche or from places that look bad. Common sense.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am

americorps wrote:I eat street food all the time. The ONLY time I have had food poisoning here in Peru was the tuna salad from San Antonio. San Antonio is probably the cleanest and nicest place to eat salad in Peru. It just proves that you never really know.

I make sure my food is cooked when I buy at a street stall and I will not buy things generally like ceviche or from places that look bad. Common sense.

As long as things are cooked at a high enough temperature then the risk to get sick off it gets small.
Raw fish like ceviche or anythings that coins milk or egg products are high risk to get foodpoisoned.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm

panman wrote:[quote="chi chi"
If you want a nice burger and you want to know what has been put into it, then prepare your own burger at home.

If I eat burgers I always prepare them at home in bulk and keep them in the freezer, that way I know exactly what's in them and the cheese is always fresh.[/quote]

Instead of taking a chance with eating out in Peru, I'm partial to fixing chili chorizo burgers.
Just pick me up a can of chili con carne at the tienda to use as a topping and I'm eating good in no time at all.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:07 pm

americorps wrote:
caliguy wrote:

I eat street food all the time. The ONLY time I have had food poisoning here in Peru was the tuna salad from San Antonio. San Antonio is probably the cleanest and nicest place to eat salad in Peru. It just proves that you never really know.

One time I actually got food poisoning after eating rotted mayo at Mediterraneos Chicken (Limas Airport),
which is supposed to have high hygiene standards.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 pm

After college, I was a restaurant manager on the weekends - to make ends meet financially.
It was a burger joint; but I made sure the "complaining custmers" were always treated professionally.
At times, we messed up the cooking of a burger - medium instead of medium-rare; so we made another.

It is repulsive to read how Chi Chi acted as a chef; if he indeed wants a "first-class" hostel, he needs to change his attitude about food preparation. Remember, "What goes around, comes around...".

You need to treat people with RESPECT; not screaming at them! None of us are perfect; not even Chi Chi.
Anyone that provides me a personal service, has my respect - unless proven otherwise by their actions.
Why do some people resort to unethical actions, to hide behind closed doors & "hurt" others???

Philip

Happy New Year & please treat your fellow humans with RESPECT!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:After college, I was a restaurant manager on the weekends - to make ends meet financially.
It was a burger joint; but I made sure the "complaining custmers" were always treated professionally.
At times, we messed up the cooking of a burger - medium instead of medium-rare; so we made another.

It is repulsive to read how Chi Chi acted as a chef; if he indeed wants a "first-class" hostel, he needs to change his attitude about food preparation. Remember, "What goes around, comes around...".

You need to treat people with RESPECT; not screaming at them! None of us are perfect; not even Chi Chi.
Anyone that provides me a personal service, has my respect - unless proven otherwise by their actions.
Why do some people resort to unethical actions, to hide behind closed doors & "hurt" others???

Philip

Happy New Year & please treat your fellow humans with RESPECT!

I noticed his attitude too. There are dozens of posts from CHi CHi where he advocates breaking rules, cheating and fibbing to get his personal advantage or satisfaction.

I have worked fast food and higher end restaurants and not only have I ever participated, I can only count one time when someone even attempted such a thing and I made sure the customer did not get the food and the manager was notified.

I think most people are not like chi chi, but rather value honesty, respect, rules and professionalism.
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 am

I never have been able to figure out why 'street food' in Latin America generally is more lethal than in other parts of the world.

During my Peace Corps days, my vacations, and later working from Mexico all the way to Chile, I managed to catch virtually every parasite and bug known to man from eating street food. Amoebas, gihardia (I've had it enough times, but still can't spell it). I was meticulous with drinking water and caring for fresh veg and fruit in my abode, but the lure of street food was my downfall.

I have lived and worked in Asia for an even dozen years. I am in the same longitude as a large part of Latin America. Same heat, same nasty untreated water. Same vendors doing God-knows-what with their skewers of meat, stir fried whatever, deep fried bits and pieces..... But I don't get sick over here. The steet food and vendors are not any different. Sanitation does not seem any better. The plates are washed in communal tubs of used water. Same basic chicken, pork, beef, fish. Both cultures like their chili peppers. I cannot see a difference.

Maybe the odd temporary upset stomach for a day or two, but I still have not contracted any of the evil little monsters that took up residence in me in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, and several Caribe islands.

Why ?

And when I return, I'll be right back out there eating the local fare. Love my cerviche and hot things on a stick.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register