White Rice obsession

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

White Rice obsession

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I've been living in Peru for some years now but i have to admit I have a kind of love hate relationship with Peruvian food. I love the seafood here, the combination of Chili, onions and lime in food dressings in sandwiches and seafood, the starters before the main dishes, the bbqs etc but unfortunatly there's lots i hate. like i can't stand chicken and rice! The boiled stews involving boiled chicken and masses of boiled carbohydrates cut too close to a nerve as it's too similar to English food which must be avoided at all costs!

There is how ever one thing that really really depresses the crap out of me when it comes to Peruvian food and it is the bland tasteless culprit of White rice! The food that makes its way into just about every Peruvian dish available and taints it with its bland mediocre taste! And there's nothing you can do to avoid it either! It's there White or plain boiled rice in every Peruvian dish on the menu like a food type stalker that refuses to leave you be! following you, shaking it's head disapprovenly if it sees you with Fries instead!

I also don't understand why Peruvians only seem to be able to boil potatos as well! nothing wrong with boiled potatos with a butter on, but your heart won't be thanking you any time soon tho!

It's a little disappointing that other food giant nations like China and India can do so many interesting things with rice, yet Peru a upcoming food giant does nothing to make rice as nice as these other places!

rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: White Rice obsession

Postby rubble » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm

"...it's too similar to English food which must be avoided at all costs!"

In my humble opinion, there is nothing in this country that matches a roast with all the trimmings.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:02 am

rubble wrote:"...it's too similar to English food which must be avoided at all costs!"

In my humble opinion, there is nothing in this country that matches a roast with all the trimmings.

I encounterd more good restaurants in the UK than in Peru.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:46 am

i have to agree on the rice. i never ate rice while living in California because it was sooo bland. after arriving to Peru, i am just shoveling it into my pie hole constantly. after first eating my see-through steak and boiled potatoes, i still find myself hungry. so waddayado? dive into the rice :( i think basmati rice should be introduced to Peru, i did find that rice palatable.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:56 pm

At least at home, I've been able to switch the family over to whole grain rice, which my son much prefers as it has more flavor. I also add in different seasonings, or add diced veggies or stewed tomatoes. My husband was really surprised in how many different things I've found to do with rice - I told him "You know what we call this in the US? A normal supper"

I only like plain white rice if it's got some sauce or gravy on it.

it also surprised me that with all the potatoes and yams here that they don't use a greater variety of cooking methods. I made a 'sweet potato' casserole using camote and pineapple bits - and they devoured it.

Silverback - have you given tacu tacu a try? Sort of a melange of rice and refried beans. If it's done well, it's delicious - if it's not done well, it can be a bit dry. I love it with a bit of steak.

Btw, on the paper-thin steaks - go to the market and purchase a kilo of 'lomo fino de res' and slice it up into medallions - for your own filet mignons.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 pm

chi chi wrote:
rubble wrote:"...it's too similar to English food which must be avoided at all costs!"

I encounterd more good restaurants in the UK than in Peru.

Ah i use to love Sunday roasts with Yorkshire Pudding! Me and the wife always have a little bit of banter about each others country to wind each other up, nothing serious. The one thing she got to hate were the Sunday roasts! because we would go to my family on Sundays and it was the same Sunday roast every Sunday! She ended up hating roast diners because of that and would always joke about it after i told her how my family would have the same thing every Sunday for just about the whole of my life! :lol:

Needless to say i'm having payback with the banter now as at least roast dinners were only on Sundays, Chicken and rice is just about every single day here! :shock:

Is there some sort of law in the Peruvian Constitution that states White rice must be had as a side dish to everything! The main dishes are fantastic, it's just a shame there's nothing as nice as Chinese fried rice or Indian Pilau rice! Potatos as well, they will only boil them! why not make nice crispy roast potatos or wedges! Jacket potatos as well even. The stews would be great with something like English dumplings in it. Like Yorkshire puddings some sort of pan cake based crispy side dish would be a welcome change. How about vegtables in the side dish, Peru let it be know you can use veggies to eat as well as using one or two to flavour a stew!

I really like Peruvian starter dishes and deserts but in Peru it seems no effort is put into the side dish unless it's a seafood dish which Peruvian seafood is among the best in the world!

Ok sorry that's my white rice rant over! well until dinner time at least! :lol:
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Kelly wrote:At least at home, I've been able to switch the family over to whole grain rice, which my son much prefers as it has more flavor. I also add in different seasonings, or add diced veggies or stewed tomatoes. My husband was really surprised in how many different things I've found to do with rice - I told him "You know what we call this in the US? A normal supper"

I only like plain white rice if it's got some sauce or gravy on it.

it also surprised me that with all the potatoes and yams here that they don't use a greater variety of cooking methods. I made a 'sweet potato' casserole using camote and pineapple bits - and they devoured it.

Silverback - have you given tacu tacu a try? Sort of a melange of rice and refried beans. If it's done well, it's delicious - if it's not done well, it can be a bit dry. I love it with a bit of steak.

Btw, on the paper-thin steaks - go to the market and purchase a kilo of 'lomo fino de res' and slice it up into medallions - for your own filet mignons.

I haven't given Tacu Tacu a try, unfortunatly i don't like beans due to the popularity of Heinz baked beans in the UK and being force feed that as a child! Thank you United States for that introducing that culinary nightmare to the UK! altho we forgive you as you invented Spam! :lol:

I do save the Pardos mayo and aji packets that get left from a take away and mix that into white rice, that i love! Peru has so many different types of potato but yet all they do is boil it.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 pm

If it's done right, the beans are more mashed, like Mexican refried beans, when mixed with the rice - and then it's formed in a large, thick patty and fried until crispy on the outside - so yummy. :)

But if you don't like beans... well, probably not for you. :(
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Kelly wrote:If it's done right, the beans are more mashed, like Mexican refried beans, when mixed with the rice - and then it's formed in a large, thick patty and fried until crispy on the outside - so yummy. :)

But if you don't like beans... well, probably not for you. :(

actually that doesn't sound too bad! a bit like a veggie patty!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Try papas fritas,Papas Dorado,pastel de papas,papa del horno to name a few dishes with potato's also Potato bread, and those sweet potato croissants they sell.

With Tacu-Tacu, be sure to drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top after serving.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:33 pm

First, your primary mistake is to think of rice as a " side dish" :) ( i read somewhere " replace it with veggies" ) rice can not be replaced with veggies since rice IS NOT a side dish. We peruvians eat veggies, and other side dishes AND put rice cause any dish without rice would be incomplete.
:P

Second, peruvian rice bland? Obviusly you havent traveled a lot or your budes are ruined by english food :roll: Compare japanese rice or chinese rice with perivian rice. Ours have much more flavor. You cant eat japanese rice alone. You can eat peruvian rice alone.

Third. Someone said " chinese fried rice" . Chinese fried rice is already peruvian, we eat it a lot and we even make it better than the chinese

Fourth. Come on! Some of you people eat sandwiches! :roll: or bread as food! Lol
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:59 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:unfortunatly i don't like beans due to the popularity of Heinz baked beans in the UK and being force feed that as a child! Thank you United States for that introducing that culinary nightmare to the UK!

Its funny, I grew up in the US and I don't think I ever had Heinz baked beans until I moved to Peru. We always had B&M and, as far as canned baked beans went, those were the best.

Hitoruna wrote:First, your primary mistake is to think of rice as a " side dish" :) ( i read somewhere " replace it with veggies" ) rice can not be replaced with veggies since rice IS NOT a side dish. We peruvians eat veggies, and other side dishes AND put rice cause any dish without rice would be incomplete.

Second, peruvian rice bland? Obviusly you havent traveled a lot or your budes are ruined by english food :roll: Compare japanese rice or chinese rice with perivian rice. Ours have much more flavor. You cant eat japanese rice alone. You can eat peruvian rice alone.

Third. Someone said " chinese fried rice" . Chinese fried rice is already peruvian, we eat it a lot and we even make it better than the chinese

Fourth. Come on! Some of you people eat sandwiches! :roll: or bread as food! Lol

First, I don't really understand that argument...I asked my Peruvian wife, she didn't understand it either.

Second, please let me know which restaurants you are going to because virtually all, and I have eaten at quite a few, serve basic white rice - some with more salt, some with less; some better than others, but in the end, it is white rice.

Third, chaufa and chinese fried rice (NY style as we kow it in the US) are two very different things.

Fourth, I could take you to some sandwich places in the US and you'd never want to eat anything else!

In all seriousness, I like Peruvian food, but it is this whole insane hard on in the name of Peruvian food that keeps us from enjoying a nice dish of Mongolian Beef, Chicken Parmesan, and a million other dishes that you can't find here due to the lack of open-mindedness.

And before we go saying, "well, Peruvians have a more extravegant taste and favor their own cuisine," I have seen them lining up at KFC like cows to the trough!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Hitoruna
Please don' take it like i'm knocking Peruvian food as i'm not! there's lots of stuff that i love about the food here, what i'm knocking is how people can eat the same thing every day which is white rice.

You look at rice from other places and it has ingredients in from meat to vegtables to fruit. Almost all of the dishes i've seen on menus here or meals i've had with the family are 99.9% of the time served with white rice and i have been coming to peru since 2005. So much effort goes into making Peruvian food as good as it is but lyet rice just seems to be neglected apart from salt and a touch of garlic. Even if white rice was my favourite food i still wouldn't want to eat it twice a day for life.

I guess it's maybe a cultural thing, my wife says it's something that you just grow up with and i guess bread is maybe the same for you. Saying that choices of bread is pretty limited in Peru compared to back home for me, there is a few nice breads like pan de jema but there' nothing compared to the choices in French and Italian breads that there is in Europe and then you get the arabic and Indian breads too. You can beat naan breads and a indian peshwari fresh from a clay oven with coconut and banana in it!

I guess i need to show you good food with Bread and you can introduce me to those different Peruvian rice dishes Hitoruna! :)
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 pm

FIELD TRIP!!! :lol:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Hitoruna wrote:First, your primary mistake is to think of rice as a " side dish" :)
( i read somewhere " replace it with veggies" ) rice can not be replaced with veggies since rice IS NOT a side dish. We peruvians eat veggies, and other side dishes AND put rice cause any dish without rice would be incomplete.

it is more of a main dish, since it is the most mountainous part of your meal :D
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 pm

MarcoPE wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:unfortunatly i don't like beans due to the popularity of Heinz baked beans in the UK and being force feed that as a child! Thank you United States for that introducing that culinary nightmare to the UK!

Its funny, I grew up in the US and I don't think I ever had Heinz baked beans until I moved to Peru. We always had B&M and, as far as canned baked beans went, those were the best.

Hitoruna wrote:First, your primary mistake is to think of rice as a " side dish" :) ( i read somewhere " replace it with veggies" ) rice can not be replaced with veggies since rice IS NOT a side dish. We peruvians eat veggies, and other side dishes AND put rice cause any dish without rice would be incomplete.

First, I don't really understand that argument...I asked my Peruvian wife, she didn't understand it either.

Second, please let me know which restaurants you are going to because virtually all, and I have eaten at quite a few, serve basic white rice - some with more salt, some with less; some better than others, but in the end, it is white rice.

Third, chaufa and chinese fried rice (NY style as we kow it in the US) are two very different things.

Fourth, I could take you to some sandwich places in the US and you'd never want to eat anything else!

In all seriousness, I like Peruvian food, but it is this whole insane hard on in the name of Peruvian food that keeps us from enjoying a nice dish of Mongolian Beef, Chicken Parmesan, and a million other dishes that you can't find here due to the lack of open-mindedness.

And before we go saying, "well, Peruvians have a more extravegant taste and favor their own cuisine," I have seen them lining up at KFC like cows to the trough!

Oh! I agree with you on that last point. I mean I sincerely think Peruvian food IS the tastiest food in the world but I do think like you that there is a lack of other kinds of food in Lima and in other cities which if we were truly gourmets we should have had. I tried to look for some thai food last time I was in Lima and only found one restaurant :cry: how dissapointing, I wanted to show my folks the wonder of Tom Yam Kum. and yeah I dont know if you can find Mongolian beef either... some of that is I suppose our " close mindness" and some is still our provincial mind I suppose.. well.... (sigh)

Oh about the first argument, I have never consider rice a "side" dish. and if I ever get served say a lomo saltado without rice I would think the cook has forgotten and has put me just HALF dish. half joking when I see food in the US I feel that.. "these people only eat half dishes all the time!" :lol:
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Hi Hitoruna
Please don' take it like i'm knocking Peruvian food as i'm not! there's lots of stuff that i love about the food here, what i'm knocking is how people can eat the same thing every day which is white rice.

You look at rice from other places and it has ingredients in from meat to vegtables to fruit. Almost all of the dishes i've seen on menus here or meals i've had with the family are 99.9% of the time served with white rice and i have been coming to peru since 2005. So much effort goes into making Peruvian food as good as it is but lyet rice just seems to be neglected apart from salt and a touch of garlic. Even if white rice was my favourite food i still wouldn't want to eat it twice a day for life.

Oh I see. Well I suppose it is a difference in perception. You see, we DO have those kind of dishes with rice and other ingredients. For example Arroz a la Jardinera, Arroz con Pollo (which is NOT just "chicken with rice" lol although the name says so :wink: ) Arroz con Mariscos, some dish my mom cooked all the time but which I dont know the name (I would call it "Red rice" which with a carrot salad is superb) etc. These are dishes made with rice.

BUT white rice is another thing and a different cathegory. It is not a "dish per se". I love white rice and specially its flavor (which japanese and chinese food are lacking). I can eat it alone.

I guess it's maybe a cultural thing, my wife says it's something that you just grow up with and i guess bread is maybe the same for you. Saying that choices of bread is pretty limited in Peru compared to back home for me, there is a few nice breads like pan de jema but there' nothing compared to the choices in French and Italian breads that there is in Europe and then you get the arabic and Indian breads too. You can beat naan breads and a indian peshwari fresh from a clay oven with coconut and banana in it!

I guess i need to show you good food with Bread and you can introduce me to those different Peruvian rice dishes Hitoruna! :)

Well I ve heard (since it is been a long time I havent been in the provinces) that the choice of bread over there is amazing. perhaps you should try those breads. :D
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

if you put a single green pea on top of your rice, it greatly improves the flavor.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 am

One thing to consider is that Peruvian food has a lot of different sauces that you eat with white rice. Plates such as Ahi de gallina, seco, cabrito, estofado, and all the seafood dishes.

As for Thai and Indian places, you would think they'd be popular in Peru due to being Spicy and Flavorful...

The reason for boiling potatoes is because Peruvians eat potatoes with different sauces (huancayina) and dip with aji (sauces made from yellow or rocoto peppers).
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Peruvian cuisine became what it is out of necessity - rice and potatoes are cheap, plentiful and provide a lot of energy in the form of carbohydrates. They didn't become part of the cuisine because they provide the perfect accompaniment to the sauces, the sauces were created to provide some flavor to the tedium of rice and potatoes every day.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:33 pm

ddddd
Last edited by minos on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Kelly wrote:Peruvian cuisine became what it is out of necessity - rice and potatoes are cheap, plentiful

The South Americans are surprised that in the history of Europe or Africa, people literally died of hunger is, and we know all the history of the potato ever hunger except some continent. South Americans do not understand how something like this could happen!

South America has never gone hungry, no one died of starvation, and I think it's because we use food "safety". Foods that are easy to grow, cheap and growing up in your yard. Earlier, the "Potatoes, and with the coming of the Chinese and Japanese, "rice". Asia, for example, has managed to emerge simply because rice makes cheap for their governments to keep its 6,000 million.

That I think is a reason, but I guess it's not the only.

As for taste, it's up to each
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Rice came with chinese immigration and it replaced potatoes, corn and bread gradually. But at the same time rice is the best side dish to combine with the moist of the sauces of peruvian dishes.
if you see the food of other southamerican or central american countries , You will seee that most of the dishes are plain food , like boiled beans , boiled or fried plantains, but what happen here we do dishes like olluquito con charqui or carapulcra or aji de gallina or seco de cabrito for example that are very moist and You have to combine with carbhidrates and the best accompanyment is rice. peruvian dishes are not so simple neither plain. Even the simple tacu tacu this days are filled with seafood sauce. or juicy lomo saltado.
Pescado sudado or escabeche de pescado use as side dishes potatoes and rice even chowders like chupe de camarones are cooked with rice.

Maybe We made it a habit to fill our dishes with a lot of carbhydrates to feel satisfied because we use to work a lot of hours 10 per day 6 dyas of the week. But at the same time it is for the pleasure to combine the sauces of the peruvian dishes. When I was a young kid before lunch I used to eat rice with huancaina sauce , golf sauce, guacamole or with huacatay aji. it was delicious but not healthy.
I always have been from the middle class so I have never been starving. it was for the pleasure of the taste.
I have seen guys who eat ceviche with rice. Everything that is juicy would have rice as accompanyment because it absorb the juices. It is addictive. Unfortunately we have replaced quinua, kiwisha,chuno, corn and other original crops for rice. It is the chinese legacy to our culture.
Last edited by victmanu on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:32 pm

victmanu wrote:Rice came with chinese immigration and it replaced potatoes, corn and bread gradually. But at the same time rice is the best side dish to combine with the moist of the sauces of peruvian dishes.
i

Yes, the use of spices makes a difference, and rice goes well, although the qualities of rice we eat is innovated think from 1970, actually before that, it was not like rice, although the custom of raw salads is more the type of foreign food.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 pm

There are peruvian dishes with rice . Arroz chaufa de pollo, arroz chaufa de chancho. arroz chaufa de mariscos, Arroz con pollo, arroz con mariscos, arroz con carne, arroz con pato, arroz a la jardinera, arroz tapado and pudding rice peruvian style ( arroz con leche ) sometimes combined with mazamorra morada, and a variation of the pudding rice called arroz zambito.
My mother used to cook arroz con agua de coco and choclo desgranado. In the rainforest they cook what is like a tamal of rice and spices filled with a piece of gallina or chicken and a boiled egg and a black olive , the name is Juanes.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:29 am

One thing is certain .... Hitoruna & Victmanu definitely know about their Peruvian food !!!!!!

Now, you have to mention that Peruvians also love bread (all carbs actually ...) and they love their olive sandwich or avocado sandwich ;)

Mentioning olluquito, carapulcra, huacatay, etc... shows that you are fully aware of all the types of food from the coast, jungle, mountains, etc....

As for potatoes being part of almost every dish, a lot of non-Peruvian people think that the potato comes/came from Ireland or the state of Idaho ;( The fact is that there are hundreds of varieties of potato and they all have different texture, smell, taste.

Actually, a lot of stuff that people in the US (and else where) have been exposed to has its origins in Peru.

Corn Nuts ---> Think the big corn kernels from Peruvian corn found in Cusco & else where...

Jerky -----> Think about the word Charqui (sp?) and how they still dry the meat in certain parts of Peru

People can always verify stuff online as well ....
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Potatoes,tomatoes, quinoa , some kind of maize like purple corn and others, Lima beans, kiwicha, peanuts, chile habanero, passion fruit and chirimoya amongst other fruits are originally from Peru .

I am not chauvinist but there are some studies that found the origin of cacao, pecans, cashew, papayas and avocadoes in the peruvian territory also brazilian nut was found originally in peruvian territory now brazilian territory since the last decade of XIX century this nut can be found in Madre de Dios province.

There are 3 thousand varieties of potatoes in Peru. And about 300 varieties of corn .

Charki or charqui is a quechua word, not spanish. And during the gold rush peruvians went to California and they brought charqui with them and the word got ttranslated to jerky.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm

minos wrote:
Kelly wrote:Peruvian cuisine became what it is out of necessity - rice and potatoes are cheap, plentiful

The South Americans are surprised that in the history of Europe or Africa, people literally died of hunger is, and we know all the history of the potato ever hunger except some continent. South Americans do not understand how something like this could happen!

South America has never gone hungry, no one died of starvation, and I think it's because we use food "safety". Foods that are easy to grow, cheap and growing up in your yard. Earlier, the "Potatoes, and with the coming of the Chinese and Japanese, "rice". Asia, for example, has managed to emerge simply because rice makes cheap for their governments to keep its 6,000 million.

That I think is a reason, but I guess it's not the only.

As for taste, it's up to each

Well you have to understand how the industrial revolution effected everything to know why there was lots of problems with Poverty and starvation Minos.

Unfortunatly the revolution saw industry grow much more rapidly than social justice. All lands were bought, fenced off and owned very quickly. Europe is a lot more densely populated than South America as well. If there's no free land anywhere then if you are poor you have no where to grow food, which leads to starvation, and you weren't going to get much help from big fat land owners. No wonder people would leave for the Americas for a better life.

Peru still isn't an industrial nation, so just try to imagine the problems caused by rapid industrialisation if it was to happen in Peru now, losing for example all Andean culture within 30 to 40 years from now and most people working in Mines or moving to the city to work in factories. The change from a farming way of life to factory life, Imagine all the cultural identities of each of those regions lost, from clothing, music and food as people left to go to the cities in mass and then you'll get a idea of how fast life changed.

when you Look at how fast China is developing, and yet that is not even half as close as to how fast things changed in certain countries in the 1700s Europe.

South America still has loads of free land, where you can just grow your own food as well as vast areas of land that are untouched by modern man. Even if something like the industrial revolution happened here, South America is still very very under populated for it to have as big a effect.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm curious.....what percentage of land in Peru do you think is actually feasible from an agricultural perspective? When you look at the mountainous regions & desert area, Peru can't be compared to other countries that grow and export fruit, vegetables, and wine.

As for population density, Peru has a relatively dense population centered around the cities (think Lima, Trujillo, etc...) compared to other cities in L. America and Europe.
Peru has so many different micro-climates ( about 90% of them .... Wikipedia , etc..has more info) and the varieties of potato, etc.. and other things grow when other types of fruits/vegetables in Europe would be impossible to grow under such harsh conditions.

Fortunately, Peru is blessed by nature ..... because a lot of stuff you find is truly amazing.

Think quinoa, camu camu, etc.... When you read on the properties of these items you will be amazed.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 am

well most land can be made workable with effort. Large areas say for example in Europe would have been marshy bog land, but that bog land was quickly turned into farm land, and that was 3000 to 2000 years ago. I'm sure if your decendents from 2000 years ago can drain large areas of land to make it productive then someone 1500 years later can do it. I'm not saying it's easy, but with a little knowledge i can't see with exception the desert areas why you couldn't just grow your own food.

Also most of Perus ancient cultures managed to make the land productive of which large numbers can be found along the coast, which is extremely dry and baron land, then there's the terrances for crops in the mountains left by the Incas and other previous cultures.

The point of the arguement is that there is plenty of free land here. I only have to drive 30 minutes from home before i'm in a area where people can build shanty towns because it is land unowned. Yes the cities are densley populated but as a whole Peru is not. You just have to leave Lima on the Pan America Sur highway and you see how little population there is outside of Lima for starters.

People starved in Europe because of lack of land, and tyranny by all powerful land owners, rapid modernisation and not being able to find work, not because of the lack of food most of the time.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:well most land can be made workable with effort. Large areas say for example in Europe would have been marshy bog land, but that bog land was quickly turned into farm land, and that was 3000 to 2000 years ago. I'm sure if your decendents from 2000 years ago can drain large areas of land to make it productive then someone 1500 years later can do it. I'm not saying it's easy, but with a little knowledge i can't see with exception the desert areas why you couldn't just grow your own food

Silverback, and all involved in this thread, now you speak of tracts of land, I can also emphasize intensive agriculture. Before 1970 we had rice in Peru, and it was nice, too, but their growth performance called into question its survival.

In 1970 the National Agricultural Research Institute of Chiclayo, which belongs to the Ministry of Agriculture, made ​​scientific research with the University of North Carolina. Good varieties you eat today, and scientists whose names I know, are the result of that effort, in the sense that a yield per hectare achieved enough to make it marketable.

Several experimental stations were established in the North, one in Bagua, Huarangopampa station, idle today, but there are still buildings and plots.

Buenos such investigations performed by technicians Peruvian, Japanese and North American, during the government of General Juan Velasco Alvarado, literally fueled the country to this day. It's a shame that subsequent governments are continuing down that path.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:28 pm

”It is a melancholy object to those who walk through this great town or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and cabin doors, crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags and importuning every passenger for an alms. These mothers, instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in strolling to beg sustenance for their helpless infants: who as they grow up either turn thieves for want of work, or leave their dear native country to fight for the Pretender in Spain, or sell themselves to the Barbadoes.”...............

”I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...”

”The number of souls in this kingdom being usually reckoned one million and a half, of these I calculate there may be about two hundred thousand couple whose wives are breeders; from which number I subtract thirty thousand couples who are able to maintain their own children, although I apprehend there cannot be so many, under the present distresses of the kingdom; but this being granted, there will remain an hundred and seventy thousand breeders. I again subtract fifty thousand for those women who miscarry, or whose children die by accident or disease within the year. There only remains one hundred and twenty thousand children of poor parents annually born. The question therefore is, how this number shall be reared and provided for, which, as I have already said, under the present situation of affairs, is utterly impossible by all the methods hitherto proposed. For we can neither employ them in handicraft or agriculture; we neither build houses (I mean in the country) nor cultivate land: they can very seldom pick up a livelihood by stealing, till they arrive at six years old, except where they are of towardly parts, although I confess they learn the rudiments much earlier, during which time, they can however be properly looked upon only as probationers, as I have been informed by a principal gentleman in the county of Cavan, who protested to me that he never knew above one or two instances under the age of six, even in a part of the kingdom so renowned for the quickest proficiency in that art.”............

Jonathan Swift. A modest proposal, Ireland 1729.
A masterpiece of the satire .

La superficie sembrada para la campaña agrícola 2012-2013 alcanzaría los 2 millones 182 mil 676 hectáreas, superficie que representa un incremento de 3.3% (70 mil 700 hectáreas más) con relación a la campaña 2011-2012, reportó el Ministerio de Agricultura de Perú (Minag).

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register