The Air We Breathe

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Air We Breathe

Postby caliguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Considering it is one of the basic neccesities of life, i consider it a very valuble one. Maybe it is where i live in lima that i find the air is just awful. I sweep the front of my warehouse on a daily basis, and am amazed at just how much dust i sweep up along with long (womens?) hair. With a population of about 8 million and growing, i cannot foresee this air problem getting better any time soon. Also, considering the lack of rain to wash all the dust and dirt into a sewer system, and eventually into the ocean, it is around to stay.
I suppose the last 2 generations have gotten used to it. For example: while eating lunch with some friends outside of a restaurant, a bus pulled up and let off some passengers, then the driver accelerated, and a huge plume of black smoke mixed with dust, emerged from the side of the bus, just in front of the rear tire. I jumped up with my plate in my hand and ran in the restaurant, (to my friends amazement). I looked out the door and saw the smoke engulf them while they chated and laughed together as though nothing happened. After the smoke cleared, i came out, and they asked laughingly, “was it a bee after you”? I said “no”, it was the exhaust and dust from that bus trying to season my food! They all laughed at my apparent silliness.
Since Lima is located in an extremely arid región, there will probably be no chance of a nice down pour to wash all the dust away :(

every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Air We Breathe

Postby bobg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm

You should have been here a while back, believe it or not it has vastly improved !
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Good observation. But I've always been amazed at how the human body calibrates itself and adapts to its environment despite the dirt. In Japan, they have delicacies that contain dirt and you pay top yen to have the privilege to shove them down your throat (http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/japan ... ishes.html). And people say the taste of these things is divine!

And Japanese people live to a hundred, you know. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ariel on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Unfortunatly your right Caliguy about the air here. Lima is never going to be the prettiest of cities as the lack of rain to wash away the dirt is always a problem! The few drops of rain that do happen means you end up with black trails of dirt running down the walls as there wasn't enough rain to wash all the dirt away!

When your in a park go and have a close look at the leafs on the trees, they are coated in a black layer of dirt! It's even worse the further you go away from the coast. The amount of dirt in the apartment on the floor is amazing! you just have to walk a few times in the hall without foot wear to see how black your feet get, and even tho the floors get swepped twice a day the dirt is still there!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Unfortunatly your right Caliguy about the air here. Lima is never going to be the prettiest of cities as the lack of rain to wash away the dirt is always a problem! The few drops of rain that do happen means you end up with black trails of dirt running down the walls as there wasn't enough rain to wash all the dirt away!

When your in a park go and have a close look at the leafs on the trees, they are coated in a black layer of dirt! It's even worse the further you go away from the coast. The amount of dirt in the apartment on the floor is amazing! you just have to walk a few times in the hall without foot wear to see how black your feet get, and even tho the floors get swepped twice a day the dirt is still there!

yes, i have plants in the backyard with soot on them too. i remember when i first came to Peru in 2000, i would take my shoes off after coming in the house and just have my white cotton socks on and my mother-in-law would yell at me. until i finally looked at the bottom of my feet, i thought she was crazy :D
i just dont like the thought of breathing in all that dust everyday.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:17 pm

ariel wrote:Good observation. But I've always been amazed at how the human body calibrates itself and adapt to its environment despite the dirt. In Japan, they have delicacies that contain dirt and you pay top yen to have the privilege to shove them down your throat (http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/japan ... ishes.html). And people say the taste of these things is divine!

And Japanese people live to a hundred, you know. :mrgreen:

eating dirt is one thing, breathing it is different.
i really dont think your lungs can "re-calibrate"
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

caliguy wrote:eating dirt is one thing, breathing it is different.

Sure. And I must admit the example I gave is anecdotal at best. And yet it makes me wonder how many Peruvians have breathed the same polluted air all their life and actually developed some sort of coping mechanism to it in the Darwinian sense. I guess if you were born in a fish tank you'll learn to breathe thru your gills, so to speak. (And I mean no offense to the lovely people of this country by that analogy.)

I'm certainly not an environment or health expert, but I think being the devil's advocate, which I'm not trying to be as much as I'm trying to play it down a bit so as no cause unnecessary paranoia, is essential for a healthy discussion on any issue. So I guess what I'm saying is let's agree to disagree.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 pm

ariel wrote:
caliguy wrote:eating dirt is one thing, breathing it is different.

Sure. And I must admit the example I gave is anecdotal at best. And yet it makes me wonder how many Peruvians have breathed the same polluted air all their life and actually developed some sort of coping mechanism to it in the Darwinian sense. I guess if you were born in a fish tank you'll learn to breathe thru your gills, so to speak. (And I mean no offense to the lovely people of this country by that analogy.)

I'm certainly not an environment or health expert, but I think being the devil's advocate, which I'm not trying to be as much as I'm trying to play it down a bit so as no cause unnecessary paranoia, is essential for a healthy discussion on any issue. So I guess what I'm saying is let's agree to disagree.
:D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Unfortunatly your right Caliguy about the air here. Lima is never going to be the prettiest of cities as the lack of rain to wash away the dirt is always a problem! The few drops of rain that do happen means you end up with black trails of dirt running down the walls as there wasn't enough rain to wash all the dirt away!

I have been looking around in Lima for the last few week for an appartment to buy. I´ve seen many nice brandnew appartment buildings. But I am thinking that when I buy one, after only a few months they look like they are 50 years old because all the black smog that sticks to it.

The other thing that I am worried about is that constantly I am inhaling that smog. The smog and car exhausts go up so if you live in an appartment building, you are inhaling that smog all day and night. Even when you are sleeping.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

I too, am very concerned about the long term HEALTH ISSUES!

I also worry about the damage to electrical appliances, especially the pricey flat- screen TV's.
I have bought garbage bags & cover these - every night; I wish the kids would remember to do this upon bed.

Have anyone ever been told that walking around with BARE FEET, will lead to coughs & congestion?
All my new family & even doctors at the clinica; tell me this is what causes my problems - WHAT???

I have never spent a day in medical school, but walking bare foot - doesn't not cause these issues!!!
Health care in Peru - scares me...

Philip :roll:
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm

They also tell you that drinking anything cold, standing in front of the refrigerator or fan, or sitting too close to an open window is the cause of all your health problems. You learn to ignore it.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:50 pm

I live on the Malecon and my breeze travels 9,000 miles across the ocean while I sleep, so I always have nice fresh air!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm

Please, educate me - what is the MALECON?

Philip :roll:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Kelly wrote:They also tell you that drinking anything cold, standing in front of the refrigerator or fan, or sitting too close to an open window is the cause of all your health problems. You learn to ignore it.

I must be death by now.

Alpineprince wrote:I live on the Malecon and my breeze travels 9,000 miles across the ocean while I sleep, so I always have nice fresh air!

Ha Ha Ha. Do you think so?
I also lived in an appartment on the Malecon. Every day I had to clean of the soot of my balcony. When I washed the windows, an hour later they were black again. I bought new white curtains and a week later, they were brown coloured.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Despite the fact that it never goes below 15c here, most Peruvians act like it's the Antarctic during the winter months! Which makes you think......has a Peruvian ever died of hypothermia in Lima during the winter months?
Is this the reason why you can't buy a cold drink in the middle of summer?

On the plus side maybe a fan could be used as protection late at night, beware mugger, i have a electric fan and i'm not afraid to use it! :lol:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register