ANY WAYS TO NOT PAY???

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

ANY WAYS TO NOT PAY???

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm

I don't want to do anything that would IMPLY - my morals have been corrupted here in Peru.
As a CONSUMER ADVOCATE, I have witnessed many situations in the USA - where taxes/fees were forgiven; if you know the "territory".

If I was assured my $20 would go to a "good cause" & not some politicians pocket; I would be OK with this.
Everyone has to realize; my wife works 66 hours @ week & has to BEG to get even a few hours - off.
I have no other source to go with me to do these governmental duties; but I am learning.

I am so used to doing things on the Internet (faxing documents, etc.); that this "in person" stuff is bother-some.

Thanks for your imput,
Philip :roll:
271-3849

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ANY WAYS TO NOT PAY???

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I don't want to do anything that would IMPLY - my morals have been corrupted here in Peru.
As a CONSUMER ADVOCATE, I have witnessed many situations in the USA - where taxes/fees were forgiven; if you know the "territory".

If I was assured my $20 would go to a "good cause" & not some politicians pocket; I would be OK with this.
Everyone has to realize; my wife works 66 hours @ week & has to BEG to get even a few hours - off.
I have no other source to go with me to do these governmental duties; but I am learning.

I am so used to doing things on the Internet (faxing documents, etc.); that this "in person" stuff is bother-some.

Thanks for your imput,
271-3849

I sometimes wonder if people forget they has been given permission to enter the country for a certain amount of time and if ignored the person is fined for breaking the Law. I know this seems to be the norm according to expat, but the fact is stil the same, the law has been broken. There are people who have been expelled and refused entry in the future. The best option and the simplest is to always stay within the laws of the land and ignore the reccommendations to break the law at every opportunity. In this case it would have saved you $20.
As a Consumer Advocate you should protect the legal rights of cosumers and assist in understanding and application of the laws.

One major issue is if you are subject to personal attack or robbery as an illegal alien, you are not entitled to protection from the police or your own consulate.
Last edited by adrian Thorne on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:The best option and the simplest is to always stay within the laws of the land and ignore the reccommendations to break the law at every opportunity. In this case it would have saved you $20.

Depends where you live. If you live in Tacna, Piura or Puno then you can walk over the border every 6 months but if you live in Lima, Tarapoto or any other places far away from a border then it works out cheaper to overstay and pay the fine when you finally leave the country.

One major issue is if you are subject to personal attack or robbery as an illegal alien, you are not entitled to protection from the police or your own consulate.

You'll be impressed how many rights illegal immigrants have in some countries. In some countries in Europe they almost get VIP status. If the government in Belgium does not provide a home or hotel accomodation to illegal asylumseekers from day 1, then they can claim 500 euros A DAY compensation. And they get it too.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5d6_1267711138
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm

I AM JUST CURIOUS...

I have heard from people on this forum & others, that say they didn't have to pay this $1.00 @ day.
What is the deal; everyone should be treated EQUALLY - no matter what amount of money is involved?

Expats bring millions of dollars into Peru; they should be treated as the "gold mine" they are.
I try to follow ALL THE RULES of a foreign country; why is this issue so convoluted & mis-information abounds?
Yes, both my wife & I were busy - I have the $20, so don't anyone worry...

PS - Belgium sure sounds like an interesting place; what is the weather there in February?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I try to follow ALL THE RULES of a foreign country

Well in that case, the RULE is $1.00 a day for overstaying your visa. :wink:

If you have read here and on other forums that people were not required to pay, then my guess is HE/SHE (or the immigration officer they were dealing with) were not following the rules ... and I would also guess that their fine was probably much more substantial than $20.00.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:55 pm

You overstay our visa and have to pay only one dollar? Lucky you! In other places they throw you in jail no questions asked from day one and dont allow you to come back for five years after that.

By the way, i am genuinely interested to know, where does your wife work? I mean this overworking , begging for holidays and stuff, i thought it only happens where i live, not in Peru. Is it that bad over there too? :?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:43 am

My wife is a DIRECTORA, for a private school corporation in Peru.
She has a well paying position; but they do require her to be "married" to the business.
In the USA, her position (w/o all the extra duties & time); would command $100-125,000 @ year!!!

Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Really? that bad uh? :| and the salary is that different? :shock:

Well there goes my hope to go back to Peru in order to live a more relaxed lifestyle :cry:

there is no point in moving if I am gonna suffer the same thing there and with less pay. (sigh)
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:39 am

MarcoPE wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:I try to follow ALL THE RULES of a foreign country

Well in that case, the RULE is $1.00 a day for overstaying your visa. :wink:

If you have read here and on other forums that people were not required to pay, then my guess is HE/SHE (or the immigration officer they were dealing with) were not following the rules ... and I would also guess that their fine was probably much more substantial than $20.00.

When I was on a Tourist Visa I overstayed to the point that the fine for my mom and I was close to $800.00 which I paid at the border in Tacna. The Immigration Person accepted the money printed out a receipt stamped my Passport and told me to return anytime I wanted. I did like 10 minutes later and we both had a good laugh. Three days later I was at Immigration getting my Carnesta and can do all sorts of things like open bank accounts now. I have also heard if you hold a Carnesta you can vote for your local Alcalde.

Please remember everybody we are guests here now I will admit that most of us do inject a lot of money into the economy but we are still guests if you don't like the rules I suggest you head to the closest border and leave. :wink:
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Two comments:

1. If I had known the "name" of this NUISANCE FEE/TAX; I could have researched & found that it is virtually ALWAYS demanded that you pay the $1.00 @ day - possibly the expatperu poster just got "lucky"...

2. I should have posted "ANY LEGAL WAYS TO AVOID PAYING???"; my boss was very influencial in Costa Rica & he didn't have to pay some of these nuisance fees/taxes that I incurred. It probably had to do with his several substantial investments there; if you know the regs, you can proceed accordingly.

As a former CONSUMER ADVOCATE; I do not advocate ever breaching the laws - WHERE EVER a person is; but it is evident since I have been here since May 2012 - that different people ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY!

It is NOT THE MONEY that concerned me, it is the possibility of FAVORTISM & LACK OF TRANSPARENCY, that had me concerned & confused... What IS the name for this fee/tax & possibly an Internet link???

Thnaks to all & I apologize for not doing my DUE DILLIGENCE (even Chi Chi is not 100% perfect...). Please don't rely upon personal experiences referrenced herein; check the info or ask a government official - even tho this was not successful in our recent episode with getting my CE (on 2 occasions - given incorrect info).

PS - I married a Peruvian woman & support her children; relocating is not an option...
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Getting your CE is the best way to avoid paying the $1 a day FINE for overstaying on your visa.. I wish you the best in that process.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 pm

It's a fine, not a tax or fee.

http://www.expatperu.com/overstaying-pe ... -visa.html

Click that link and read the info there.

Or, from the DIGIMIN site (The office of immigration and naturalization) -

http://www.digemin.gob.pe/en/preguntas_ ... s_faq.html

If I am as Tourist How much time can I stay in the country?

When you enter to our country the Inspector of Immigration is going to give you a certain time (See this detail in the Immigration Seal - passport). In case you exceed the term gave it, you will pay a fine - one (01) dollars per each additional day, this payment must have to be paid at the moment you leave the country.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 am

GREAT INFO - Kelly!

You remind me of my executive assistant when I was a CONSUMER ADVOCATE!
She would do extremely thorough research on case law & any legal regulations/rulings that would affect the outcome of a matter.

I had many experienced attorneys baffled where I located such (at times) obscure info & prevailed for my client. If you ever need a referral for such a position in the USA, please contact me...

Thanks again,

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register