Suggestion for Forum change ?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Suggestion for Forum change ?

Postby timothy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 pm

This is probably not the place to post this, but after cruising thru the Forum home page, I can't see a way to directly contact The Powers That Be. So, maybe this will work. And can be deleted after read.

One suggestion I'd like to make would be on the main boards, where you find

Topic, Replies, Views, and Last Post.

I think it might be an interesting and helpful change if the last column "Last Post" could be changed to "Last 3 Posts".

One could scan the Topics and see who is involved in the threads. It would give a clue as to what direction the thread is heading. Whether it be the "same old, same old" or if new people are involved, or if someone is posting a thought worth reading ??

ExpatPeruMods
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Suggestion for Forum change ?

Postby ExpatPeruMods » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Timothy, thanks for the suggestion, I will see if there is any one to have that done with the website programmer.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Timothy.. I checked and don´t see a way to do this.

If there is anyone out there who understands PhpBb (the software behind the forum) and knows how to do this, drop me a line.

I don´t know about having the three last posts listed, since that might make the page a little crowded, we could try having two and seeing how it works.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 am

Alan,

Just to add another suggestion - How about a Vote Up/Down option for comments and posts? This way, the posts that most people don't like become bottom dwellers, and conversely the best comments shoot up to the top. Some forums and websites do this nowadays and it can work wonders as either a motivator or a deterrent. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Ariel
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:29 am

Requires some brave sole to dive into the pit of phpBB spaghetti code!

The voting is great and is actually how reddit and stackoverflow work although a forum is typically a different animal in that conversations are considered different than getting quality answers from questions. It would be nice to separate out questions that need answers (and apply voting to those) and leave conversational threads alone otherwise it is a popularity contest.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

It would be nice to separate out questions that need answers (and apply voting to those) and leave conversational threads alone otherwise it is a popularity contest.

That's the idea for having an 'informations' subforum and a 'conversation' subforum.

I don't know how hard it would be to apply it just to one of the subforums? I suppose everything is possible with code... maybe?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:27 pm

I would also like it if it would be possible to add Youtube videos in a posting. It is very easy with the Phpbb board.

Have a look at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/bbcode/youtube/
It will add another button in the 'Compose' screen, where you enter your message ( just like the Img, Quote and URL buttons ) And the Youtube video will be embedded in the post.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 pm

ariel wrote:Alan,

Just to add another suggestion - How about a Vote Up/Down option for comments and posts? This way, the posts that most people don't like become bottom dwellers, and conversely the best comments shoot up to the top. Some forums and websites do this nowadays and it can work wonders as either a motivator or a deterrent. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Ariel

have you thought that some posters may not like this "bump" feature?
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm

caliguy wrote:have you thought that some posters may not like this "bump" feature?

Yes. But it's just a suggestion. And you can always bump it down like you just did, so to speak.

But hey, I also thought that some posters might like it.

Anyway, I'm not pushing hard for it. I'm a relatively new guy here who probably has no business suggesting things like this, at least not without stepping on someone's toes. It just crossed my mind and so you're free to feel whatever you like about it. I had a feeling it won't fly but it was worth a try.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register