Kidnapping Threat in Cusco according to US Embassy

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kidnapping Threat in Cusco according to US Embassy

Postby fanning » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 am

The US embassy has a warning on their website http://lima.usembassy.gov/warden/emergency_messages.html
The Peruvian authorities have reacted about this warning that the security of the tourists is guaranteed http://infoturperu.com.pe/noticias-del-dia/5318-garantizan-seguridad-de-los-turistas-que-visitan-region-cusco

Anybody knows why this warning was issued ? It seems to come out of nowhere, or maybe it has to to with the tourists who were attacked in Ocongate. But in that case the warning should be to not travel of the beaten track.
And to give a specific warning NOT to travel to Machu Picchu, should have some real base I would say . But what is it ?

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kidnapping Threat in Cusco according to US Embassy

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 am

imo, i think they completely over exagerated on this.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Now, Carlos Canales, the president of la Cámara Nacional de Turismo (Canatur, National Chamber of Tourism), says how these remarks are ruining the country's image.

http://elcomercio.pe/turismo/1537309/no ... de?ft=grid

But, I wonder if Canales or CANATUR ever did something like sanctioned the inhabitants of Pallca/Ocongate that massacred those US tourists, or those that block the train tracks, etc...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 pm

caliguy wrote:imo, i think they completely over exagerated on this.

My parents visited me a few weeks ago when I was in Lima. At first they were hesitating to come to Lima after they have read the warning on the Belgian embassies' website and the warning the have read in travel books but at the end they felt very safe in Lima and they consider it as one of the safest cities they visited in Latin America. They only found Quito and Montevideo very dangerous.

I think those warnings on the embassies website are written by people that never have been to Peru and just write about the sometimes horrible stories they read in some newspaper.

Cuzco is one of the most visited touristic spots in the world. So, it's normal that a few more wallets are pickpocketed than in other places.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am

According to media reports both in Peru and the US, they intercepted calls from the Shining Path rebels (yes, they.still exist) and they stated that after the rainy season they will start to kidnap people, especially US folks, to get attention and bring attention to their cause.

I know there are concerns about the mining exploitation, the New drug routes go thru Cusco, and ever since Humala is in office, the Sendero folks have been active in the VRAEM.

They would be foolish to mess with US citizens.....but oh well, who knows if all this stuff is fabricated like other stuff we hear about in the middle east.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 am

Well, we can debate this all we want, but if the US state department does in fact have information (as they say they do) then they need to report it (just as they did) .... because if there were/are kidnappings, and the American people found out that they had info and did not report it, then guess who gets the blame for that? Of course, the state department (and the same people posting that the embassy warning is ridiculous would then be ridiculing the US government for not protecting its citizens better).

Moreover, if anyone seems to be over-exaggerating at this point, it seems to be some of the Peruvian politicians who are guaranteeing everyone's safety (in my opinion, an irresponsible statement in and of itself). I also find it difficult to believe that tourism in Cusco has been "reduced by about half" due to this embassy warning.

As for the Shining Path threats, maybe we should keep in mind that it hasn't been THAT long since bombs were exploding down by Parque Kennedy, and though rare, kidnappings do occur wherever you have rebel groups in existence.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm

MarcoPE wrote:As for the Shining Path threats, maybe we should keep in mind that it hasn't been THAT long since bombs were exploding down by Parque Kennedy, and though rare, kidnappings do occur wherever you have rebel groups in existence.

It's weird - I would have thought that Humala would have put the smack down on SP during his term in office, but it doesn't seem like that's happened.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 am

Marco, you are spot on.

But imagine another scenario and kidnappings actually did occur in Cusco or MP? Then, imagine the drop off in tourists from North America and Europe. It would take years for the tourist industry to recover. Also, by making this announcement and warning, the US Embassy also alerted the Sendero Luminoso that the US and Peru government are aware of what they might be planning. An effective deterrent, I would say.

The incident in Cusco Province did not help either. The Peruvian authorities need to get to the bottom of this too. Many people in the US, particularly those considering trips to Peru, read the internet and follow other media sources voraciously. Many know about that incldent in Palca/Ausangate and incorrectly tie it to the US Embassy warning.

My brother just forwarded me the article about the robbers who were caught yesterday assaulting people in traffic jams in central Lima. I, in turn, forwarded him the news article about the LAS VEGAS, NV shootout last night resulting in several dead. Just like the old west...so, in all fairness, it can happen anywhere.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:05 pm

There is something going around facebook right now that might answer this question.... I don't know who this is, but assume it's okay to share here, since it can only help....

https://www.facebook.com/garrett.hand.1

2nd post says the following:

This is Larkin, Garrett's sister. I am signed into Garretts facebook account. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! Garrett and his girlfriend are missing. They were last reported in Cuzco Peru. All emails, facebook and financial transactions were completely stopped on January 25. PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE you know in the entire world. Specifically anyone from Peru.
my email address is: [email protected]
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emanaku » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 am

about the couple see also here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21572#p112354

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register