Huge increase in cost to apply for Peruvian citizenship

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Lon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Huge increase in cost to apply for Peruvian citizenship

Postby Lon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:58 pm

For those of you who may be applying for Peruvian citizenship w/o being married to a Peruvian, here is some bad news - on Dec. 23 they raised the fee charged for submission of the application from S./54 to S./2,484.10. Yes, you read that right. It's really unbelievable that they would raise it that much in one golpe. I thought it was a mistake, but then in Naturalizacion (DIGEMIN) they showed me the list of fees and there it was. What a depressing shock!!!! And that's not all. If you decide to pay this much and you get approved for the next step, you still have to pay another S./ 185. Maybe they are trying to discourage foreigners to apply. This is certainly a deterrent.

Kelly

Re: Huge increase in cost to apply for Peruvian citizenship

Postby Kelly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:13 pm

$1000 isn't a crazy amount for people coming from wealthier countries (although it is a huge jump) but it is a lot for most people who may be coming from other Latin American countries. Now, you can work without citizenship - but you can't vote.

So I wonder what they're trying to prevent...

OR if they're just taking advantage of a large influx of foreigners and milking the cash cow while they've got the chance.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:56 pm

OR if they're just taking advantage of a large influx of foreigners and milking the cash cow while they've got the chance.
[/quote]

i think this is their agenda
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:47 pm

What is the fee for citizenship if you are married to a Peruvian?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:26 pm

kpw wrote:What is the fee for citizenship if you are married to a Peruvian?

You pay dearly for the rest of your life .... :wink: :lol:

Actually, I think it's around 90 soles, plus photo cost and DNI.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 pm

MarcoPE wrote:

Actually, I think it's around 90 soles, plus photo cost and DNI.

+1 :lol: In retrospect the $1,000 does not look so bad!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:22 am

MarcoPE wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Kelly wrote:OR if they're just taking advantage of a large influx of foreigners and milking the cash cow while they've got the chance.

I don't think so because the fee for a ' permisso especial para firmar contratos' has gone down a lot.
It was used to be 12 soles + $50 dollares. Now, you just have to pay 16 soles only. No more 50 dollares.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm

I missed this. So glad I've already done it. There are so few of us already, and most do come from developing countries so that is a HUGE jump. It's not that expensive in most countries, for sure! Besides the amazing amount of fees, legalizations, birth cert fees, translation fees..it's cost me well over 3k from the beginning of my residency-citizenship, including all the trips to Lima.
Martha
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:42 pm

This may be in protest of the US cost $840.00 . I am putting in an application for my wife (this week), Looked at the price WOW! $800+ In my case I see no need for Peruvian Citizenship other than to travel freely to Cuba or enter Brazil without paying for a Visa. I am getting a US Citizenship for my wife, so when I retire we can leave the US without a limit on our stay. Also for Social-Security (if you are out of the US for more than 6 months and not a US Citizen, your SS Check will stop.) I see not benefit now in a Peruvian Citizenship. We will get a passport (Peruvian for my 2 year old who already has a US passport.

Anyone know the benefits of a Peruvian Passport for a foreigner?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

tupacperu wrote:Anyone know the benefits of a Peruvian Passport for a foreigner?

One I can think of ... if you are on a plane and a group terrorists are storming around asking for passports you want to give them the Peruvian one ... keep that US one to yourself. :wink:
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Tupac,
The benefit of citizenship and hence the passport is if in the event you have an issue with your wife that you can freely come and stay in Peru as long as necessary especially regarding children/etc.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 pm

If you live in Peru you can vote and participate to the country's life as a citizen, get more easily through Peruvian burocracy for loans or whatever is needed. Also, in my experience many Peruvians appreciate the fact the foreigners living in Peru accept to become "Peruvian". In addition with Unasur agreements you can easily get residency in Mercosur's countries (Argentina, Brazil, etc.).

If you don't live in Peru you there i sno real need in getting the Peruvian citizenship.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:40 pm

tupacperu wrote:Anyone know the benefits of a Peruvian Passport for a foreigner?

Unless you are refugee from a war torn country like Syria, Mali or Afghanistan or some very bad African country, I don't see any benefits.

If you have a Peruvian passport and you want to travel abroad then will have to apply for a visa for almost any country in the world.

And if you have a Peruvian passport then it will be harder to pick up chichas as they fancy chicos with a foreign passport.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

MarcoPE wrote:

One I can think of ... if you are on a plane and a group terrorists are storming around asking for passports you want to give them the Peruvian one ... keep that US one to yourself. :wink:

LOL, Yeah, what are they going to storm with? Plastic Spoon?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 pm

chi chi wrote:

Unless you are refugee from a war torn country like Syria, Mali or Afghanistan or some very bad African country, I don't see any benefits.

If you have a Peruvian passport and you want to travel abroad then will have to apply for a visa for almost any country in the world.

And if you have a Peruvian passport then it will be harder to pick up chichas as they fancy chicos with a foreign passport.

Chicha Morada?

I already have a Peruvian Chica (29 years age difference), so I guess I really do not need a Peruvian Passport (lol)
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:35 am

When someone asks the benefits to Peruvian citizenship, snide, sarcastic, and rude coments are NOT helpful.

It's an incredibly difficult process that is not for everyone but it DOES have some practical benefits. Namely, work. You have the same economic rights as Peruvians and can legally work with any kind of contract or Recibo por honorarios, etc. You can also vote and participate fully as a citizen of the country where you choose to live. In my case, I can also legally marry here without any extra paperwork or tramites. I also will no longer have to worry about maintaining legal residency with the forms, paperwork, obligations, and fees associated with that.

For those who are passing through or treating this as a place to be for the moment, there is certainly no reason to do it. However, if you have chosen to live your life in Peru, I would think you could relate to a desire to commit the country and participate in its future, above and beyond the practical benefits of citizenship.

Martha
Josue M

Postby Josue M » Sat May 11, 2013 9:49 pm

{quote}
Last edited by Josue M on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josue M

Postby Josue M » Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Last edited by Josue M on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augusto ruiz

Postby augusto ruiz » Sun May 12, 2013 7:52 pm

chi chi wrote:

thats no true, you dont need visa for any country in Latin America, couple in Asia, Africa and couple in Europe. pick up chicas for your passaport.... good job mate... i prefer pick up them for my Latino thing..... saludos
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Sounds like this increase will increase the number of folks doing the border hop hoppity hop hop.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 pm

money is not everything....just had to repeat that beautiful saying!

Working on my spanish...it would translate to plata no es todos, si?

Regarding a reply in this thread made earlier by chichi the tasa extranjera...what is that?
also if you get citizenship by marriage is that something you have to pay?

Please forgive my treadjacking and/or derailment.
Josue M

Postby Josue M » Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Last edited by Josue M on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 am

Hello all,

We had to delete a couple posts here in order to get this thread back on track. It is such an important topic!

No offence meant to any of the "deleted". Just trying to do some housekeeping.

Let´s stay on topic with this one, please. This is information that can help a lot of people.

Regards,
Alan
mod team
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 pm

tupacperu wrote:This may be in protest of the US cost $840.00 . I am putting in an application for my wife (this week), Looked at the price WOW! $800+ In my case I see no need for Peruvian Citizenship other than to travel freely to Cuba or enter Brazil without paying for a Visa. I am getting a US Citizenship for my wife, so when I retire we can leave the US without a limit on our stay. Also for Social-Security (if you are out of the US for more than 6 months and not a US Citizen, your SS Check will stop.) I see not benefit now in a Peruvian Citizenship. We will get a passport (Peruvian for my 2 year old who already has a US passport.

I have a question. So, you are saying if you are out of the U. S. for over 6 months, your Social Security check would stop? If you are not a U. S. citizen, why do you qualify for S. S. benefits? Or, are you one of the masses deceiving and breaking the Social Security system and depriving citizens entitled to a return on what they have paid into all of their working life?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register