Peru's Economy compared to Costa Rica

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru's Economy compared to Costa Rica

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 am

Last week I had a discussion with a friend in Costa Rica about exchange rates. We were wondering why the sol - dollar exchange rate has dropped so dramatically while the colon - dollar rate has remained relatively unchanged over the past couple of years. She just sent me this article from the Costa Rican newspaper, La Nacion. I still haven't figured out the answer to our question, but some of you might find the article interesting:
http://www.nacion.com/2013-02-18/Opinio ... -Peru.aspx

Loving Living in Lima
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru's Economy compared to Costa Rica

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Part of the issue is that on a parity basis the Colon is on par with the Dollar, whereas the Sol is 10% undervalued. Over time, the Colon should remain constant and the Sol will appreciate to about 2.29. :(
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Alpineprince wrote: the Sol will appreciate to about 2.29. :(

Excellent news because airline tickets in Peru are quoted in dollares so if the dollar goes down, the airfare too. And visiting the US because far cheaper. I hope that the dollares go down to 2.29 quickly as I want to invite my gf to Hawaii for her birthday.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 pm

ah yes Hawaii :D

but over there the hotels are more expensive than wong or metro! :mrgreen:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register