Disgusting ! Buy a new pillow !

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Disgusting ! Buy a new pillow !

Postby timothy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 pm

As a public health service, I would like to pass on some very disturbing news. Factual, from a great book by Bill Bryson (scientist and author). Highly recommended ! "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Regarding living with micro organisms

Most living things are small and easily overlooked. In practical terms, this is not always a bad thing. You might not slumber quite so contentedly if you were aware that your mattress is home to perhaps two million microscopic mites, which come out in the wee hours to sup on your sebaceous oils and feast on all those lovely, crunchy flakes of skin that you shed as you doze and toss. Your pillow alone may be home to forty thousand of them. To them your head is just one oily bon-bon. And dont' think a clean pillowcase will make a difference. To something on the scale of bed mites, the weave of the tightest human fabric looks like ship's rigging. Indeed, if your pillow is six years old- which is apparently the about the average age for a pillow - it has been estimated that one tenth of its weight will be made up of 'sloughed skin, living mites, dead mites, and mite dung, to quote the man who did the measureing, Dr. John Maunder of the British Medical Entomology Center. (But at least they are your mites).

Think of what you snuggle up with each time you clinb into a hotel bed.

amigorick

Re: Disgusting ! Buy a new pillow !

Postby amigorick » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 am

I've read that memory foam pillows and mattresses are impervious to mites. There are also pillow and mattress covers available that are supposed to have such a tight weave of synthetic material that mite can't go through them.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm

I've got some pillows that are "anti-acaro" - or so they say.

I like my feather pillows. :wink:

It's not just in your bedding though - all your furniture is full of mites that eat dead, sloughed off skin cells. There are also mites that live in your eyebrows and hair follicles (of the majority of people, you're more likely to have them the older you get).

Your body is crawling with little bitty living things! :mrgreen:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 pm

just imagine how much flakey skin we would have without these lovely mites :lol:
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm

I was my pillows every few weeks and have a mattress protector which I was every few weeks too.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

chi chi wrote:I was my pillows every few weeks and have a mattress protector which I was every few weeks too.

i think you have a bed bug under the "H" on your keyboard :lol:
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

caliguy wrote:
chi chi wrote:I was my pillows every few weeks and have a mattress protector which I was every few weeks too.

i think you have a bed bug under the "H" on your keyboard :lol:

Thanks, I washed my keyboard in my washing machine. It's free of bedbugs now.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register