Taxi robberies

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Comas,Lima
Contact:

Taxi robberies

Postby Gary » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 am

CNN's take on these taxi robberies in Lima http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/20/world ... hpt=ila_c2
I realize the commentator is talking about one particular gang when he says that it has been going on for three months and the "good news is that it seems to be over". The truth is that it has been going on for years, I have witnessed two of these types of robberies while sitting in traffic and a few months ago my novia was robbed in a taxi within sight of Jockey Plaza. Her face was cut when the punks smashed out the window and took her purse, six weeks later she was robbed at a bus stop. I'm wondering what the true crime statistics are for Lima.


User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 am

sorry to hear about your novia Gary. this taxi robbing in traffic must have been going on for years. whenever i get in a taxi, my friend always tells me to put the window up and lock the door, but what good is that if they break the window! i always dress down and wear a hat while taking taxis and buses, and carry very little valubles with me. :)
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
User avatar
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby metal moth » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am

Then there's the other type of taxi robbery when the taxi driver is in on it.
Calls his buddies to let 'em know he's got a victim on the way.

Better to take a combi or bus when possible.
Safer that way.
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:56 am

metal moth wrote:Then there's the other type of taxi robbery when the taxi driver is in on it.
Calls his buddies to let 'em know he's got a victim on the way.


yeah, i didnt think of that one
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby tomasb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 pm

When in a taxi always tell the taxi driver not to talk on his cell phone. Usually, they do not but occassionally it is wise to tell him no.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby Josh2U » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:35 pm

I am new here and rather portly. I use taxis all the time because it is misery for me to get on and off those combis and buses. Do you guys really tell the driver not to use his phone? What is his reaction?
I was told to always set the fare before you get in. But I read somewhere in this forum that you can just give the driver what you think is fare at the end of the trip. Do all taxis use this system or just some and how can you tell
Thanks
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Josh2U wrote:I am new here and rather portly. I use taxis all the time because it is misery for me to get on and off those combis and buses. Do you guys really tell the driver not to use his phone? What is his reaction?
I was told to always set the fare before you get in. But I read somewhere in this forum that you can just give the driver what you think is fare at the end of the trip. Do all taxis use this system or just some and how can you tell
Thanks


i agree, especially getting on and off of a combi! and when getting on a large bus, they start taking off before you even get in all the way!
i have never got in a taxi and told the driver not to use his phone, however, it can be asked. if they ask why, tell them: "i would feel safer/comfortable if you were paying attention to your driving.
as for the fare, ask in advance, i always write down the address and show the driver, so if there is any conflict, he cant say "i misunderstood you" :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm

I always set the fare ahead of time.

I've heard of some people getting in the taxi and pretending to talk on their phone, telling a friend that they are on the way, and giving the information (tag #) of the taxi they are getting into.
User avatar
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby metal moth » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Josh2U wrote:I am new here and rather portly. I use taxis all the time because it is misery for me to get on and off those combis and buses. Do you guys really tell the driver not to use his phone? What is his reaction?
I was told to always set the fare before you get in. But I read somewhere in this forum that you can just give the driver what you think is fare at the end of the trip. Do all taxis use this system or just some and how can you tell
Thanks



Welcome Josh.
I think saying weight challenged is a more PC term.
But anyway I have trouble in taxis because they tend to be little economy cars and I'm crunched in the back with my knees in my throat.
I have to literally crawl out on my hands and knees like a baby.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby Josh2U » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for the advice and welcome.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby richorozco » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 am

When taking a taxi (wherever you are: Miraflores, San Isidro, Lima etc...) always set the fare before you get in. If you try to give him whatever you think, they can rightfully do something to you and get people to do something to you.

Check to see if they text or make a call .... If they do and you don't feel comfortable you can just ask him to stop...you forgot something. period.

As for taxi drivers robbing you. Yes, it happens. It used to happen much more and it usually happens on weekends and if you are drunk. In Trujillo, it was happening much more in the past 2-3 years.

Always look at what route he takes and you can tell him whatever route to take albeit when there is traffic, they will zig zag thru side streets. The problem is, you need to know where you are going and in what direction. For example, Surquillo (also called Chicago Chico) has its sections that are dangerous and it is not too far from Miraflores. El Callao has sections that are very dangerous.....

You have to see what the taxi driver does and what route he takes.

I'm surprised that taxi crimes hasn't happened much more to the expats in living in Peru. Americans are considered easy targets because they are not familiar with the modalities of robbery and/or the areas that are bad and good. Also keep in mind that many police officers are also in on crimes.

Things I do when in Taxis in Lima (stuff I've been told by taxi drivers, family, and friends who live in Peru):

1. Never talk on the phone with the phone facing the windows. Phone should always be facing the inside of car. Its easy to snatch a phone while it is close to the window.

2. All packages go on the floor and try to make them not visible.

3. Do not count money (especially when you first come to Peru and have all twenty dollar bills etc....) while in the car.... put different amounts of money in your pockets. For example, 10/20 soles in back pocket....hundreds of soles in the front, etc... That way, you know that you will pay for 12 soles ride from your back pocket and not count huge amounts of money.

4. if you have a tablet or smart phone or camera....put it in a green/black plastic bag that the small stores give you (cover it in a shirt or something).... As others suggested, dress down but people can tell when you are a foreigner (cologne, type of gym shoes, tan type, etc...)


I know so many people and family who have been robbed of everything when they go to or leave the airport. It is always better to pay a driver for the day(15 soles/hour) or take a service that you call via cell phone.

Also, keep in mind that the taxi drivers get robbed a lot and the types of scams are unheard of in the US. For example, a couple will pick up a taxi from Jockey Plaza all dressed up and carrying bags.... they get robbed at gun point going to Bren~a or Lince.

You see the taxis in Lima have metal cages to prevent people stabbing the driver or choking them.... You see taxis with the mirrors on chains and the metal frame locks on the front and back tail and head lights. These car accessories are stolen while a taxi is in traffic and the taxi driver can't do much other than reverse and go forward....if the taxi driver gets out he will get robbed.

Couples with a baby robbing taxi drivers. Two women robbing taxi driver.

The problem is that there are many guns (now as compared to 5 years ago) in Peru.

Crime is rampant in Peru, but has gotten better .... you just have to be on the lookout and be on alert.

Remember, you pay a fare and you can tell the taxi driver whatever you want (what route to take, what are you saying on the phone, etc...). I personally rent a taxi guy for 15 soles/hour or try to find an older gentleman or someone who looks peaceful and honest.

I haven't been robbed in Peru so far, but I am cautious .... I've been everywhere I probably should not have been such as Gamarra, Polvos Azules, Las Malvinas, Callao, San Martin, etc.... at all times of the day. It is always best to be with a local or in a group of more people and don't think because you may be 6 ft, 220 lbs and athletic/young that you can't get robbed.

Be safe and take precautions......you will be fine.
T-cup
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby T-cup » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:43 am

I think that telling someone that "weight challenged" is the PC term to use is pompous and unnecessary. The OP has chosen the word portly, a creative and descriptive adjective, which is not derogatory, so why the suggestion to use the ridiculous sounding weight challenged? Peruvians make it simple: gordo, and nobody gets offended. Freedom of expression is important on this forum and everywhere, please let it prevail.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby stuart » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

T-cup wrote:I think that telling someone that "weight challenged" is the PC term to use is pompous and unnecessary. The OP has chosen the word portly, a creative and descriptive adjective, which is not derogatory, so why the suggestion to use the ridiculous sounding weight challenged? Peruvians make it simple: gordo, and nobody gets offended. Freedom of expression is important on this forum and everywhere, please let it prevail.


I agree, it doesn't sound like something someone should correctly someone on in anything other than a joke about the silliness of political correctness.

Portly = used by someone perhaps a "bit" overweight, admittedly-so, but that is not their defining feature... they're a nice, jovial, kind-hearted person, easily to get along with, nice to hang around with, generally all-round good person. The type of person who'd use this word is the type of person who you'd never have an issue with in your life.

Weight-challenged = fat /&%#$%.
User avatar
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby metal moth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 am

stuart wrote:
T-cup wrote:I think that telling someone that "weight challenged" is the PC term to use is pompous and unnecessary. The OP has chosen the word portly, a creative and descriptive adjective, which is not derogatory, so why the suggestion to use the ridiculous sounding weight challenged? Peruvians make it simple: gordo, and nobody gets offended. Freedom of expression is important on this forum and everywhere, please let it prevail.


I agree, it doesn't sound like something someone should correctly someone on in anything other than a joke about the silliness of political correctness.

Portly = used by someone perhaps a "bit" overweight, admittedly-so, but that is not their defining feature... they're a nice, jovial, kind-hearted person, easily to get along with, nice to hang around with, generally all-round good person. The type of person who'd use this word is the type of person who you'd never have an issue with in your life.

Weight-challenged = fat /&%#$%.



Perhaps we should stay on topic.
User avatar
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3140
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby alan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Just thought I would highlight this very good post from Richorozco who lists some very useful tips. Great advice.

richorozco wrote:When taking a taxi (wherever you are: Miraflores, San Isidro, Lima etc...) always set the fare before you get in. If you try to give him whatever you think, they can rightfully do something to you and get people to do something to you.

Check to see if they text or make a call .... If they do and you don't feel comfortable you can just ask him to stop...you forgot something. period.

As for taxi drivers robbing you. Yes, it happens. It used to happen much more and it usually happens on weekends and if you are drunk. In Trujillo, it was happening much more in the past 2-3 years.

Always look at what route he takes and you can tell him whatever route to take albeit when there is traffic, they will zig zag thru side streets. The problem is, you need to know where you are going and in what direction. For example, Surquillo (also called Chicago Chico) has its sections that are dangerous and it is not too far from Miraflores. El Callao has sections that are very dangerous.....

You have to see what the taxi driver does and what route he takes.

I'm surprised that taxi crimes hasn't happened much more to the expats in living in Peru. Americans are considered easy targets because they are not familiar with the modalities of robbery and/or the areas that are bad and good. Also keep in mind that many police officers are also in on crimes.

Things I do when in Taxis in Lima (stuff I've been told by taxi drivers, family, and friends who live in Peru):

1. Never talk on the phone with the phone facing the windows. Phone should always be facing the inside of car. Its easy to snatch a phone while it is close to the window.

2. All packages go on the floor and try to make them not visible.

3. Do not count money (especially when you first come to Peru and have all twenty dollar bills etc....) while in the car.... put different amounts of money in your pockets. For example, 10/20 soles in back pocket....hundreds of soles in the front, etc... That way, you know that you will pay for 12 soles ride from your back pocket and not count huge amounts of money.

4. if you have a tablet or smart phone or camera....put it in a green/black plastic bag that the small stores give you (cover it in a shirt or something).... As others suggested, dress down but people can tell when you are a foreigner (cologne, type of gym shoes, tan type, etc...)


I know so many people and family who have been robbed of everything when they go to or leave the airport. It is always better to pay a driver for the day(15 soles/hour) or take a service that you call via cell phone.

Also, keep in mind that the taxi drivers get robbed a lot and the types of scams are unheard of in the US. For example, a couple will pick up a taxi from Jockey Plaza all dressed up and carrying bags.... they get robbed at gun point going to Bren~a or Lince.

You see the taxis in Lima have metal cages to prevent people stabbing the driver or choking them.... You see taxis with the mirrors on chains and the metal frame locks on the front and back tail and head lights. These car accessories are stolen while a taxi is in traffic and the taxi driver can't do much other than reverse and go forward....if the taxi driver gets out he will get robbed.

Couples with a baby robbing taxi drivers. Two women robbing taxi driver.

The problem is that there are many guns (now as compared to 5 years ago) in Peru.

Crime is rampant in Peru, but has gotten better .... you just have to be on the lookout and be on alert.

Remember, you pay a fare and you can tell the taxi driver whatever you want (what route to take, what are you saying on the phone, etc...). I personally rent a taxi guy for 15 soles/hour or try to find an older gentleman or someone who looks peaceful and honest.

I haven't been robbed in Peru so far, but I am cautious .... I've been everywhere I probably should not have been such as Gamarra, Polvos Azules, Las Malvinas, Callao, San Martin, etc.... at all times of the day. It is always best to be with a local or in a group of more people and don't think because you may be 6 ft, 220 lbs and athletic/young that you can't get robbed.

Be safe and take precautions......you will be fine.
smnbjj80
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby smnbjj80 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 am

I have a friend that was robbed last week getting in a taxi on Navarette and Javier Prado just outside her work in San Isidro. She was a girl traveling alone and the taxi driver took her to La Victoria at gun point. He made he get in the front seat, touched her all over, took her money and then slapped he on the butt as he tossed her out in the middle of the street in L Victoria. The back doors were locked and "broken" she couldn't escape but luckily wasnt hurt. I am willing to pay higher prices to use privtae service taxi's which granted are not 100% safe but I would say are MUCH safer then flagging a guy down in the street. I don't speak Spanish but I have an app on my phoen that is for Satilital (may have spelled that wrong) and I am sure many people here have heard of them. I hear they are about 10soles more then normal taxis but I can order this from my phone (without speaking spanish) through the app, you get a confirmation email from their dispatch that tells you the plate number, drivers name, car color and how many minutes till the arrive. The taxi is there in roughly 10 minutes and that is that. I find it to be easy and I feel safe in the taxi since I have their main id factors and it is from a company dispatch. Like I said, you will pay more but since I only use a taxi 2-3 times a week it is a decent option if you want safety and don't mind paying a little more for it.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby tomasb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 pm

stuart wrote:
T-cup wrote:I think that telling someone that "weight challenged" is the PC term to use is pompous and unnecessary. The OP has chosen the word portly, a creative and descriptive adjective, which is not derogatory, so why the suggestion to use the ridiculous sounding weight challenged? Peruvians make it simple: gordo, and nobody gets offended. Freedom of expression is important on this forum and everywhere, please let it prevail.


I agree, it doesn't sound like something someone should correctly someone on in anything other than a joke about the silliness of political correctness.

Portly = used by someone perhaps a "bit" overweight, admittedly-so, but that is not their defining feature... they're a nice, jovial, kind-hearted person, easily to get along with, nice to hang around with, generally all-round good person. The type of person who'd use this word is the type of person who you'd never have an issue with in your life.

Weight-challenged = fat /&%#$%.


I always liked 'Rubinesque'...
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:49 pm

The only way to avoid being robbed by a taxi driver is taking the bus.

Lima has a lot of buses that go everywhere and the fares are democratic. And buses are frequent, you never have to wait more than 10 seconds for a bus.

The metro system is excellent too. You can go from one part of Lima to the other in less than 20 minutes.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby richorozco » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Great idea with that app which was described(satilital or whatever it is).

I've heard of using he cell phone but an app provides much more info....

Very cool!!!
eyesthathearrr
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Taxi robberies

Postby eyesthathearrr » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:33 pm

When I first came to Lima 4 years ago as a student, I attended a Women's Safety conference at the Catolica and although the focus was on women, I figured I might as well share what they said because I don't see why it doesn't apply to men too. We were told:
- Never get into a "tico" (tica? I can't remember which is right) type taxi, basically "if you rollerskated into it, it would break, not you" was the analogy they used! In an accident, you'd be a goner.
- Always sit behind the driver if you're alone - that way if he has a gun, he can't reach you easily and you can choke him with your arm (better to run though if you can!)
- Hide your belongings in the taxi, try not to carry more money than necessary, and hide things in various places - inside your shoes, in your bras (not so applicable in men's cases I realise)
- Lock your doors and even if it's hot, try to keep the window mostly up.
- Get a friend to accompany you to a taxi and make a big show of writing down the taxi's details (whether you actually do this or not didn't seem to matter) and call or fake-call someone saying "I will be there in 10 minutes" or whatever is realistic timing.
- We were advised that combis were usually infinitely better than taxis - they have to stick to their routes, so you were far less likely to be kidnapped. They did mention the possibility of combis being hijacked - I remember a combi that wouldn't stop for a large group of guys, possibly due to the hijacking element, but they said that on the whole, combis were safer.

I'm sure there were more tips we were given but those are the ones I remember related to taxis and I generally stick to them. I've never had a problem though, ever (have never been robbed, touch wood), but I'm really safety-conscious - or paranoid, same difference!

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register