Taxes and Fees

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Taxes and Fees

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Why am I so SKEPTICAL about such contests; have only been in Peru since May 2012?
Are the winner's infomation revealed on a web site - to assist in TRANSPARENCY (quite lacking in Peru)?

Good luck to all,
Philip :roll:

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Make Sure and Ask for a Boleta

Postby rama0929 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:My feelings are that if the TAXES are due on a sale/service; they should be documented for & paid.
I also feel that the high taxes in Peru, discourage accountability with the law & limit investment opportunities.
When will Peru realize that lowering these taxes, will actually enhance the "coffers"/revenue - in the future?

What are similar taxes in other countries; I would appreciate your expertise & how the economy was affected.

PS - I doubt I will ever embrace NUISANCE FEES/TAXES - such as the exit fee & others...

Someone has to pay for the Obras Municipales going on around Lima.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:PS - I doubt I will ever embrace NUISANCE FEES/TAXES - such as the exit fee & others...

There is no longer an airport exit fee, as far as I know. I believe the cost is included in the price of all tickets now, though I may be mistaken.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 am

Kelly, you are correct in essence...

There is an EXIT FEE, but most air carriers build the price into the ticket - but there still is a FEE.
I remember seeing long lines in my departure in Nov. of 2011; but I had an itemized list of my airfare & the FEE was included.

I proposed to my boss when we were visiting Costa Rica every winter, that he should itemize all the money he spent & ask the government for forgiveness of this NUISANCE FEE/TAX - some $31 at the time. The last trip we took, he had spent over $27,000 - as he purchased a car there; I am not sure if he made the effort to bring this matter to the attention of the proper authorities.

When will countries stop CHOKING THE GOLDEN GOOSE???

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:
When will countries stop CHOKING THE GOLDEN GOOSE???

Not untill it's layed its last golden egg. That's life.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:
There is an EXIT FEE, but most air carriers build the price into the ticket -

I proposed to my boss when we were visiting Costa Rica every winter, that he should itemize all the money he spent & ask the government for forgiveness of this NUISANCE FEE/TAX - some $31 at the time. The last trip we took, he had spent over $27,000

Why would your boss waste hours of his time for $31 USD?

Here is the itemized fee's related to Peru that are included on a ticket or at least the ones I paid last year:

Peru Tourism Tax : 15.00
Peru Airport Departure Tax: 30.74
Peru Sales Tax: 183.60
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks for the figures...
My former boss & I - subscribe to the same "mentality"; when someone spends thousands of dollars every winter, he sould not be "nickel & dimed" to death for another $31.00!

As it turned out, he is now vacationing in another country - w/o an EXIT TAX & the other NUISANCE FEES!

I still feel the government should allow a person to present ALL THEIR EXPENSES in the country & be EXEMPT from such NONSENSE (after a defined amount); people ARE starting to be offended & vacation elsewhere - on PRINCIPAL ALONE!

That's why we got along so well - plus I was his BODY-GUARD (carried lots of cash with him). We both had firearms & we trained to use them in self defense. Once we rescued a woman (San Jose, CR) whose arm was almost completely severed with a machetti when she refused to give up her purse - NOT RECOMMENDED. The criminals may have killed her, as she was a stubborn foreigner...

Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm

CORRECTION!

The exit tax for Costa Rica is $26 - not $31; I remember handling the official a $20 & a $1 plus another bill.
It was a $5, not a $10 - so thus the $5 difference.

Still $26 too much; the GOLDEN GOOSE (my boss) has flown further south...

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Kelly, you are correct in essence...

There is an EXIT FEE, but most air carriers build the price into the ticket - but there still is a FEE.
I remember seeing long lines in my departure in Nov. of 2011; but I had an itemized list of my airfare & the FEE was included.

You're right Philip, my bad - just because the fee is included in the price of the airfare doesn't mean that the fee no longer exists.

Philipc4u59 wrote:My former boss & I - subscribe to the same "mentality"; when someone spends thousands of dollars every winter, he sould not be "nickel & dimed" to death for another $31.00!

From what I understand, the departure fee is an airport usage fee, sort of like paying the fare on a toll road. If you never fly, you don't have to pay any taxes for maintenance of the airport, if you're a frequent flyer, then you'll pay a lot. I think that's a very libertarian way to do it, and seems quite fair to me - shouldn't have anything to do with how much you've spent while you're in the country.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Taxes and Fees

Postby sbaustin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Philip
Philipc4u59 wrote:Still $26 too much; the GOLDEN GOOSE (my boss) has flown further south...

Please let us know where your boss now goes that doesn't have an airport tax.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Taxes and Fees

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 am

Sbaustin,

My former boss was the typical "SELF MADE MILLIONAIRE"; he only finished the 10th grade in school.
He went to work in the construction industry & eventually he & I started our own business in 1994.

He was not the CHEAPEST in any estimate; but the quality of work was OUTSTANDING; he even was developing a business to CONSULT & present evidence in court - concerning the shoddy work of major companies.

He and a few of his friends in the business - WORKED HARD & PLAYED HARD in Costa Rica; they all bought substantial homes there & expected to be treated as ROYALTY - especially with all the money they infused!

The last time I talked to him (Dec. 2009); he & his fellow construction owners were planning on buying a used jet to fly them on their vacations - as any airport/country "BS" would not be tolerated.

Unfortunately, we disagreed on his LIFESTYLE, while in Costa Rica - private brothels, etc.
I was taken along as his BODY GUARD, but I was uncomfortable in these surroundings - especially as all these men had wives & families at home (I don't feel as I am a prude).

In summary, we haven't talked since Dec. 2009; I wish him well. I am told many of his acquaintances are now DIVORCED (wonder why?) & they their businesses have suffered in the real estate bubble after-effects.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register