What do you enjoy the most about living in Peru?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

What do you enjoy the most about living in Peru?

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:14 pm

My list:

-Beautifull scenery and nice weather all year round
-going for a swim daily
-exotic food sold at democratic prices
-good, safe roads that are never busy and excellent for cruising by motorbike.
-never any traffic jams
-clean air, no contamination
-very friendly people
-very little crime and very clean streets
-excellent airport where you can check in till 15 minutes before departure and cheap flight specials with LAN and TACA.
-everything is democratically priced (except cheese)

11.jpg
11.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What do you enjoy the most about living in Peru?

Postby marlia » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Like your photo :) maybe I supposed to put Tarapoto on my list (a place to be visited in Peru)
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 pm

i will put Tarapoto on my list the next time i go to Peru :D

What I enjoy most about Peru:
The people :D
The food :D (except the rice :( )
The alta selva :D
The weather (not too hot, not too cold) :D
The mountains :D
Relaxed lifestyle :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 am

chi chi wrote:My list:

-Beautifull scenery and nice weather all year round
-going for a swim daily
-exotic food sold at democratic prices
-good, safe roads that are never busy and excellent for cruising by motorbike.
-never any traffic jams
-clean air, no contamination
-very friendly people
-excellent airport where you can check in till 15 minutes before departure and cheap flight specials with LAN and TACA.
-everything is democratically priced (except cheese)

11.jpg

The cheese in peru kind of sucks, except the cajamarca stuff and queso crema with crackers

Safe roads? You kidding me? Its so dangerous driving or being a passenger, but i actually like the adventure of driving. Like the pato canyon leading out of huaraz, one insane drive! Or the dirt road offroad drive from cajamarca to tarpoto took us about 18 hrs of insane driving but an amazing adventure. So yes while i loved driving in peru i would say it is anything but safe.

I love asking for directions, and how they just wave with their hands, very little to no verbal instructions. Sometimes even ask for a ride to somewhere along the way you are going, and we picked up, helped out quite a few locals who really appreciated the help. Dont know how they would have made it had we not come along.

The sierra in la libertad. Otuzco. Looking for the hot springs. The sierra in lima dept, alta canete really beautiful, other cordilleras not just the cordillera blanca, but that is one amazing range!

Clean air? Well, maybe in tarapoto...and other out of the way pueblos but around the cities its pretty dirty, lots of dust and dirt or other contaminates.

Yeah the people, the amistad, is really something that grabs you. It got me good.

Yes in general its very safe, but you gotta be very wise and also somewhat lucky i think. So i will say mostly i felt safe except that damn town of pijan, its scary there.:-) sometimes i would enjoy being able to go to the scary places and come out alive, it was like an adrenaline rush. Like going to see marisol concert in paijan. I got yelled at by friends for doing it, but it was fun!

Cumbia concerts in general, very fun cheap entertainment, goes all night, lots of women:-) dancing, fun times. I especially loved when big names like tony rosado and some others came to my little pueblo of chicama:-) it was like a gift from the cumbia gods!

Fresh cheap fruit juice, cocnuts in the north cut open with a straw...mmmm.

Ceviche. Yucca and camote and quinoa and kiwicha and maca. Those local peruvian foods, but also justa good hot chicken soup on a cold eve with noodles. Mmmmm. This is making me hungry.

The peruvian women, i really like them! Sorry you expat females :-)

The offroading opportunities, atv adventures, adventures in dune buggies called tubulares.

Yeah showing up fifteen mins before the flight is not reccomended, i missed a few, best to give it at least a half hour:-) and a good hour plus in lima:-) but generally relaxed airports like trujillo were quite nice. Just not too easy to get intenet in the airports always. Kind of a drag for the times we live in but my fault for not having a usb!

Cheap but clean hotels, usually with free breakfast, also usually willing to negotiate.

Sure the climate can be great but sometimes a bit harsh, normal anywhere, i guess.

There is a lot more but im too tired to type it all now. Some things i loved to hate too :-)

Lastly the waves, epic! The beaches, generally clean away from the cities of course, and very peaceful relaxing places. Winds always offshore best for the surf!
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Wow!!!!

Vivaperusurf sure enjoys life!!! Good for you!!!! I do the same when I go to Peru.... You are truly living by the saying:

'Before you pass away, your life flashes before you .... Make it worth watching!!!!"

I would add the cheap $2-$5 blackjack tables, great seafood, cheap knockoff clothes and other things that you can buy, the convenience of relatively inexpensive taxis and personal drivers.

Of course, all the organic stuff and fruits/vegetables that you can't find in the US or any European country.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alchemist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:05 pm

I'd add that in the past few years, I've noticed more and more trees being planted along roads, streets becoming cleaner, and rubbish being picked up in places that wasn't a few years ago. Although we're still waiting for the promised road works and a pavement on the dust and dirt street we live on..

Upon arriving in Peru after living abroad, a large number of people tried to convince my husband and I that Peru had become extremely dangerous and unsafe (especially for foreigners) to walk about even during the day.

One example : A lady selling food in our district spoke about the dangers of peruvian streets every time we bought a refreshment, and as there is rarely smoke without fire, we're cautious. However, one day, it dawned on me that she seemed more worried about my safety than that of her 14 year old daughter who would often work alone at the stall, going up to passing car and truck drivers with food and drinks. So I asked her if she wasn't worried about her tiny, small-framed daughter. Maybe a coincidence, but we never saw the young girl working on her own thereafter... neither did we receive any more comments about our safety.

About what I like in Peru, well, not easy to define, there's definitely something that attracts me to this country, "something in the air" (not pollution!)
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 am

alchemist wrote:

I'd add that in the past few years, I've noticed more and more trees being planted along roads, streets becoming cleaner, and rubbish being picked up in places that wasn't a few years ago. Although we're still waiting for the promised road works and a pavement on the dust and dirt street we live on..

Upon arriving in Peru after living abroad, a large number of people tried to convince my husband and I that Peru had become extremely dangerous and unsafe (especially for foreigners) to walk about even during the day.

One example : A lady selling food in our district spoke about the dangers of peruvian streets every time we bought a refreshment, and as there is rarely smoke without fire, we're cautious. However, one day, it dawned on me that she seemed more worried about my safety than that of her 14 year old daughter who would often work alone at the stall, going up to passing car and truck drivers with food and drinks. So I asked her if she wasn't worried about her tiny, small-framed daughter. Maybe a coincidence, but we never saw the young girl working on her own thereafter... neither did we receive any more comments about our safety.

About what I like in Peru, well, not easy to define, there's definitely something that attracts me to this country, "something in the air" (not pollution!)

You will be attacked based on your skin color and what you are wearing. If you are white, you will be
a direct candidate for an attack or short term kidnapping. If you are Indian, most people will assume
that you are broke even if you have a Rolex, Guess glasses and Fila shoes (a Cholo Power).

My mother that was blonde with blue eyes experienced several attempts of assault and kidnapping.
The majority of them without success fortunately.
My father that is a pure indian, has been pardoned police fines, trial settlements and even dismissed
as a waiter in parties.

Right now the short term kidnappings are very common, but whenever a white person is captured.
The criminals demand ridiculous amounts of money (2 million dollars or more).
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alchemist » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Readers would have understood, I would think, without quoting me :?

As you say, it does depend a lot on what you're wearing too ... as it does in any place in the world.

...not forgetting the luck factor, or if you like, fate...

A little anecdote... When I was a child living in a small, very peaceful town in England, an English family who had been living in South Africa moved back to England, just opposite from us, especially so their daughter would be safer. A few weeks after being back in England, their daughter was killed in a car accident :(
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
BellbottomBlues
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby BellbottomBlues » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:01 pm

My heritage is Northern European (natural blonde, green eyes, very fair skin)....do I understand you correctly that this automatically makes me an even greater target for crime?

Suddenly, I am nervous.

BBB
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 pm

The topic is about what you enjoy the most about living in Peru. Not about the bad things like kidnapping, discrimination. Etc.
If you want to discuss those thing then start your new topic.
augusto ruiz

Postby augusto ruiz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 am

That´s correct chi chi,

seriously guys some of you are unreal always turn the conversation to the bad things. Obviusly bad things happend, but it happend everywhere in the world.

the feelling i got reading some of you is like i will not try to help any "gringo" anymore because you will think i will try to steal your money or something like that.

i used to live in USA and Australia and bad things happend over there as well.

try to enjoy your visit in Peru and what a say to my overseas friends.... be sensible. thats all.
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:13 pm

I am not living in Peru quite yet (moving in AUGUST!!!!) but I would have to say the two things that have kept me going back more than twenty times over the last 10 years (despite my German mother telling me I should visit Germany) is:

1) the FOOD--self explanatory (even the fast food is amazing)
2) the People--it amazed me the last night of my first visit more than 10 years ago....went out with a friend of a friend of a friend from Toronto.....got introduced to his friends and family...and quickly became part of the family...the welcoming spirit of the Peruvian people is second to none!

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register