Renting an SUV in Peru

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Renting an SUV in Peru

Postby richorozco » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am

Hi everybody ... I go to Peru quite a bit and maybe you guys/gals can help.

How does renting an SUV work in Peru? I know that I can rent anything at AVIS/Budget/etc at the airport BUT I don't want to give away money if there is a cheaper/better alternative.

For example, in the US you can use "rent a wreck" - a car that may be scratched or not in the best of ashape but is a 2010 or so vehicle.

I've heard that Peruvians rent their vehicles or local places in Lima do so.

What I want to do: I want to go to the mountains of Peru (Cerro de Pazco, Pozuzo, etc...) btu I do not want to go via bus, rented driver/taxi, or other option. I want to go with 4 people driving in a decent SUV. Likewise, in the future I would go to Ica, etc... via SUV rather than taking Cruz Del Sur.

Hope anybody can help .....and BTW, what do you need to drive a car in Peru (other than extreme patience, be aware of the crazy drivers and lawlessness, etc...) other than a valid driver's license from the US or European country, a DNI, Passport, etc....

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Renting an SUV in Peru

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:39 am

Haven't seen anything like rent a wreck here and hiring a car isn't as cheap as Europe or the States. I know it might sound a bit extreme, but if you're here for a while, I'd suggest buying a car and then selling it when you're through. High values for used cars means that you will lose very little money, if any - unless of course you got ripped off in the first place or don't take out insurance. If you're coming and going a lot from Lima, you could rent a secure parking spot in modern apartment blocks in Miraflores from $50 a month. Might even be a way to make money - if you want to rent out your SUV to other tourists. One thing, there is a fair bit of paperwork.

http://surfingrtw.com/resources/how-to- ... r-in-peru/

I know Peruvians that have been banned from driving or never got a licence and just drive anyway. I've never had any problem with my driving licence, but then again I've never been stopped for anything serious. A small donation to the police benevelont fund seems to sort out most problems. My gf got stopped on the Panamerican for not driving with her lights on during the day, a new law punishable with a fine and points on your licence - whatever fool came up with this stupid law was obviously keen to line the back pockets of Peruvian coppers - ten soles made him go away.

However, you should be fine according to this webpage.

http://goperu.about.com/od/gettingaroun ... n-Peru.htm
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks Sergio... Now, I know how to buy a car!!!! I like that link that you provided with step-by-step how to do the paperwork.

I'd love to buy a car in Peru and leave it parked somewhere and ready to use when I go there. However, it doesn't seem like I can do the same as I do in the US. That is, park the car on the street after paying for the license plate sticker, city sticker, etc.... and come back to see my car all in one piece and not towed.

I'll look into parking spaces because that would be an idea.

As for buying a car in Peru, I'm kind of leery. My family is Peruvian, but I was born in the States (and I read the papers and watch the news) so I kinda know all the "tricks" that people try to play on un-suspecting buyers. Moreover, I've noted that the car prices in Peru are kinda high. Similar to what has happened in the US, even the used car prices have gone up.

Thanks for the info though.....
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

richorozco wrote:For example, in the US you can use "rent a wreck"

Ha Ha Ha. Allmost all cars in Peru are wrecks.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm

chi chi wrote:
richorozco wrote:For example, in the US you can use "rent a wreck"

Ha Ha Ha. Allmost all cars in Peru are wrecks.

I'm seeing a lot more shiny new cars these days than when I first arrived - although with the way some Peruvians drive, perhaps it won't be long before they too become wrecks.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register