Peruvain Sports and Pride

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvain Sports and Pride

Postby kpw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

Peruvians are crazy about their football, and their sports. They are very proud of it.

Peru's football team is 3rd last in a pool of 10, and they think the chances are still there to make it to the world cup. How many gold medals has Peru won in the history of olympics? One in a shooting event in 1948. Others? 3 Silver in volleyball in (1988) and 2 more in shooting events (1984, 1992).

What I realized is that the best sports people the country sees come from private clubs (like Regatas). That pay well their coaches. It is hard coming from a low resource kid to make it big in sports, as it is elsewhere.

Where in Lima have you seen a sports complex like in any other country with a dozen footballs fields next to each other? In Lima I can only think of private schools that have such facilities. Any area the country could use for sports is better used to construct buildings and getting more money out of the investment (like they did with the Collique airport).

Why doesn't the government do anything to promote sports?

If the government does not promote sports, then Peruvians will remain a frustrated sports nation.

Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvain Sports and Pride

Postby Josh2U » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Why doesn't the government do something. I guess we have all have asked that. To ask the government to promote sports to relieve the frustration felt by a few rabid sports fans who feel somehow that if their team wins or loses it some how reflects upon them as a nation? This is a joke right?
In the case of the world cup the players are over payed entertainers playing for the highest bidder. Playing on teams representing countries they are not even citizens of. Why should governments build facilities and support player development when players will just go to the highest bidder. Unless you think the government should open its treasury to compete in the bidding wars to keep the players they supported as part of its role in relieving national sports frustration.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:21 pm

I read in the Miraflores quartely magazine (probably two or three years ago now) that Barcelona Football Club were planning to develop a large piece of land on the Miraflores ''beaches'' (yep, the dust, pebbles and bottles they call a beach), close to San Isidro which recently had the mini Bolivian Olimpics (or something like that). This would be a great investment for the area and for Peru's kids to get some real coaching and I hope it actually materialises - although it looks like it won't.

Anyone know anything about this?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

kpw wrote:Why doesn't the government do anything to promote sports?

There are people dying in front of hospital doors because they can't afford treatment, there are children that can't go to school as there's no money to build a school in their village, some villages have no safe drinking water and electricity...

so it's more important to spend money on such issues than spending millions so that a few guys can run behind a football every sunday afternoon.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 pm

chi chi wrote:
kpw wrote:Why doesn't the government do anything to promote sports?

There are people dying in front of hospital doors because they can't afford treatment, there are children that can't go to school as there's no money to build a school in their village, some villages have no safe drinking water and electricity...

so it's more important to spend money on such issues than spending millions so that a few guys can run behind a football every sunday afternoon.

Sports keep children off the streets, drugs, violence, crime of Lima. Sports makes you healthy, happy and for very few might give them a ticket elsewhere.

Countries with the same issues you mention like Peru invest in this kind of infrastructure.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 am

Welcome to the 3rd world where the Politicians can care less about the masses. Only about filling their pockets and helping their immediate family and friends.

Where sales tax can be 18% but you have no rest areas, no tissue paper at public places, and no running water or soap, let alone infrastructure for young kids to play soccer, etc....

When Americans go to L. America, they return re-energized and do not take the little stuff (all the nice things such as pothole repavement, rest areas, parks, libraries, etc....) for granted.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 am

richorozco wrote:Welcome to the 3rd world where the Politicians can care less about the masses. Only about filling their pockets and helping their immediate family and friends.

Where sales tax can be 18% but you have no rest areas, no tissue paper at public places, and no running water or soap, let alone infrastructure for young kids to play soccer, etc....

When Americans go to L. America, they return re-energized and do not take the little stuff (all the nice things such as pothole repavement, rest areas, parks, libraries, etc....) for granted.

For most Peruvians, it's already a challenge to get food on the table and pay the rent. Sport is at the end of the priority list.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Welcome to the third world with politicians stuffing their pockets?
In what world are there politicians not doing that. Where in the world are there politicians living within the same standard of living as their constituents?
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Hhhhhmmmm....let me think?

Well, the US? Aren't the lawyers, doctors, MBAs, etc... who exist actually make over 120k (easily) and then a little of investing know-how .... you make more than your politician.

Maybe in the US, there are actually rest areas with running water and toilet paper?

Maybe in the US, you only pay 10% max on Sales Tax, and income taxes vary on income (but let's say 25% after writeoffs and everything for people who make 120k base salary).

Maybe in the US, if a politician is caught drug dealing, they get arrested and investigated?

Maybe in the US, things are a little different.....

Like I said, welcome to the 3rd world...... the dollar still is strong in Peru (enjoy it....I do).....
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Josh2U wrote:Welcome to the third world with politicians stuffing their pockets?
In what world are there politicians not doing that. Where in the world are there politicians living within the same standard of living as their constituents?

I think it's worser in first world. In the first world, there's more money so more money can be stolen.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 am

Yeah....that might be true about corruption and 1st world countries.

HOWEVER, at least in the US you have beautiful parks, public libraries, nice roads with barriers, clean streets, garbage pick up, clean water, tissue paper/soap/toilet at rest areas.

I don't mind corruption since it will ALWAYS exist ....but I'm pragmatic and see the differences between the corrupt 3rd world conditions of Peru and the 1st world countries of the world.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 pm

richorozco wrote:HOWEVER, at least in the US you have beautiful parks, public libraries, nice roads with barriers, clean streets, garbage pick up, clean water, tissue paper/soap/toilet at rest areas.

Only in the areas where the richies live. I was in Milwaukie, Detroit and Cleveland a few years back. I looks like you are in third world country.
And the amount of homeless people you see all over the US and people living in tent cities???
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Yeah...but let me know if the Peruvian government gives its citizens the following:

1. SSI (Supplemental Security Income = $700/month) - Regardless of whether you worked a day in your life or not. People who are disabled get this. Disabilities include brain injury, etc....

2. Food assistance / stamps

3. Unemployment income if/when you lose your job

Unfortunately, many people who have addictions prefer to live on the street rather than be at a shelter where they have to conform to rules and regulations. Since they are free to do as they wish, they are able to beg for money and supplement what the Government already gives them.

Please list the things that are given by the Peruvian Government to the Piranhas who come out at night (in front of Polvos Azules, etc...) or the handicapped/disabled people who beg in the Gamarra district.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 pm

kpw wrote:Peruvians are crazy about their football, and their sports. They are very proud of it.

Peru's football team is 3rd last in a pool of 10, and they think the chances are still there to make it to the world cup. How many gold medals has Peru won in the history of olympics? One in a shooting event in 1948. Others? 3 Silver in volleyball in (1988) and 2 more in shooting events (1984, 1992).

What I realized is that the best sports people the country sees come from private clubs (like Regatas). That pay well their coaches. It is hard coming from a low resource kid to make it big in sports, as it is elsewhere.

Where in Lima have you seen a sports complex like in any other country with a dozen footballs fields next to each other? In Lima I can only think of private schools that have such facilities. Any area the country could use for sports is better used to construct buildings and getting more money out of the investment (like they did with the Collique airport).

Why doesn't the government do anything to promote sports?

If the government does not promote sports, then Peruvians will remain a frustrated sports nation.

It is a fact of modern sports that athletes are the product of good genetics combined together
with proper nutrition and training. The whole of the Peruvian population has been exposed for
years to an huge degree of pollution, our main river in Lima, the Rimac as a waste removal medium
for many mines since colonial times, there has been no regulations in regards to this in order to
avoid clashing with the mining industry (our cash cow), while the price is paid for everybody it
is obvious that the poorest are more likely to suffer the effects in a more visible way. Lima has
people with skin problems, lung problems, respiratory system problems, polluted blood problems,
and physical deformities that are usually swept under the rug and not publicized in the media
in order to avoid consequences for our tourism industry. Contagious Tuberculosis still exists
and kills people on the poorer districts. Hospitals have several cases of children born with
physical and mental retardation. Without proper food, a clean environment, the right prenatal
care, Do you really think that we will have proper athletes?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register