Which Departments (cities) in Peru are safe, safer, safest

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Which Departments (cities) in Peru are safe, safer, safest

Postby richorozco » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 am

Ok..... I see a lot of communication back-and-forth about safety in Peru & recently I've been reading and watching Peruvian News about crime in Arequipa.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 0910.story

I don't know if people watch America Noticias or other Peruvian channels but it seems like there is more and more crime (of normal Peruvian people) in areas such as Cajamarca, Ica, and Arequipa.

That said, what are the safer areas in Peru?

For example, I've been to Trujillo but never returned because a lot of people (people who know Peru like the back of their hand) told me that the thieves (chorros) are more astute (vivo) than those in Lima ....So I only went once to Huanchaco because I don't have family in Trujillo so I don't really know which areas are safe/safer over there.

Similarly, I have been to Cajamarca and have witnessed purse snatching in broad day light at the Plaza de Armas (2 purse snatchings and police chases at 2 PM and all within an hour). Now I'm from Chicago, but I have never witnessed stuff in person, but have read/listened about horrible crimes in the newspaper and on TV.

Which places do you think are safe, safer, and safest? This would help Americans and Europeans alike who want to visit to Peru but do not want to get their vacations spoiled by petty thefts.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Which Departments (cities) in Peru are safe, safer, safest

Postby chi chi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 am

Tarapoto or better know as ''The city of the palmtrees'' is the safest city. And also the cleanest city.

There are no dangerous neighboorhoods at all in Tarapoto.
The city is also growing at a fast rate. Many condominiums and flatbuilding are being constructed.

Unfortunately, due to the boom, prices are rising quickly.

There's a huge expatcommunity here. The nice weather, friendly people, clean air and beautifull scenery atracts a lot of foreigners.
Begging, streetvending, polishing shoes and streetprostitution is prohibited. Police is very strict here and there's a 0% tolerance towards any type of crime.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Richorozco

I'm not sure it you can say there are any "Safe" cities in Lima... It seems like everywhere there is some sort of crime or attempts against lives or another. Between armed robbery, kidnapping, and murder from the most exclusive neighborhoods in Lima, to the lost corners of the jungle, it is in general an unsafe country, especially considering nothing has been done, or is being done about crime.

My suggestion is to be very careful anywhere you go, especially if you are "gringo" looking, you will always be considered an easier target.
Regards,

Argidd
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 pm

I really do not intend to be sarcastic
but if you want to be safe:
stay in bed!

You can be unsafe in any Peruvian city at any time in any place.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am

I spent quite a bit of time in trujillo and went to all parts including some of the most dangerous areas like the esperanza and never ran into any problems, not once. Now if you read the daily newspapers you might think there is a lot of crime in and around trujillo but if you just use common sense and keep an open mind, well trujillo can be a truly magical city. I really enjyed and appreciated the warm and welcoming attitude i recievd from most people i met there.

Having also spent time in chicago for work, i cannot even say the same thing. Walking around the city i felt very unsafe and met very few warm and welcoming locals. Such is life in chi town i guess.

Most of the cities i travelled to and spent some time in i felt very safe, all over northern peru. Now there were some places that were referred to by peruvians as tierra del nadie and i did get a bad vibe there in those places but they are not exactly tourist locations, and i doubt many outsiders end up in those places. I wont bother naming them all, but i passed through without issues. One place i had to pass through often even at night, and sometimes late, which was downright stupid, yet i neve ran into probs. Lucky i guess? Well dont:-)go looking for touble in the wrong places and it will be just fine.

So why did i make this long post? Well i just wanted to say trujillo is fine, in my opinion safer than chicago really, and seems like the people of trujillo.....to me.....were more open minded and had warmer smiles and attitudes than those i had dealt with in my busniess travels to chicago, which spanned a few months time over various easons and various years. Ok good luck to all, and stay safe, please!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 am

vivaperusurf wrote:I spent quite a bit of time in trujillo and went to all parts including some of the most dangerous areas like the esperanza and never ran into any problems, not once. Now if you read the daily newspapers you might think there is a lot of crime in and around trujillo but if you just use common sense and keep an open mind, well trujillo can be a truly magical city. I really enjyed and appreciated the warm and welcoming attitude i recievd from most people i met there.

Having also spent time in chicago for work, i cannot even say the same thing. Walking around the city i felt very unsafe and met very few warm and welcoming locals. Such is life in chi town i guess.

Most of the cities i travelled to and spent some time in i felt very safe, all over northern peru. Now there were some places that were referred to by peruvians as tierra del nadie and i did get a bad vibe there in those places but they are not exactly tourist locations, and i doubt many outsiders end up in those places. I wont bother naming them all, but i passed through without issues. One place i had to pass through often even at night, and sometimes late, which was downright stupid, yet i neve ran into probs. Lucky i guess? Well dont:-)go looking for touble in the wrong places and it will be just fine.

So why did i make this long post? Well i just wanted to say trujillo is fine, in my opinion safer than chicago really, and seems like the people of trujillo.....to me.....were more open minded and had warmer smiles and attitudes than those i had dealt with in my busniess travels to chicago, which spanned a few months time over various easons and various years. Ok good luck to all, and stay safe, please!

pretty much the same story with me (Chiclayo).
Never had a problem in my travels in Lima and Northern Peru.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:41 pm

tupacperu wrote:Never had a problem ...

18 years Peru ... and I said the same.
18 years + some month more and I was assaulted twice.

It is called the "It never happens to me"-syndrome.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Gringito..... Not to be nosey or anything, but how did it happen?

I see the stuff on the news but there are always new ways that they do this stuff....

What part of Lima (or Peru), time of day, could it have been avoided, etc....

Maybe some folks can learn and avoid the situation you were in.....hoopefully.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 pm

richorozco wrote:I see the stuff on the news but there are always new ways that they do this stuff....

What part of Lima (or Peru), time of day, could it have been avoided, etc....

Maybe some folks can learn and avoid the situation you were in.....hoopefully.

It's just a matter of (bad) luck. Anybody can get mugged anywhere in Lima. Even in your own home, you aren't safe.

People often recommend not to wear expensive jewellry, expensive clothes and don't flash money. But there are people who exactly do that and never get robbed. And there are people who follow all those safety recommendations and get robbed all the time.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:29 am

argidd wrote:
I'm not sure it you can say there are any "Safe" cities in Lima... It seems like everywhere there is some sort of crime or attempts against lives or another. Between armed robbery, kidnapping, and murder from the most exclusive neighborhoods in Lima, to the lost corners of the jungle, it is in general an unsafe country, especially considering nothing has been done, or is being done about crime.

My suggestion is to be very careful anywhere you go, especially if you are "gringo" looking, you will always be considered an easier target.

I don't think that gringos are specifically targeted by criminals.
Most murders and other violent crimes are commited amongst criminals themselves. Most murders are retaliations between criminal gangs often involved in narcotrafico. In the last few monts there has been an increase in murders at the coastal cities in the North like Trujillo and Piura but they are gang related.

As long as you don't get involved in narcotrafico or other odd activities then it's unlikely that you will get into serious trouble.

You wallet might get pick pocketed on the bus but you the odds that it might happen to a gringo or a Peruvian is roughly the same.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register