Welcome to the translation forum

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Welcome to the translation forum

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:09 am

Welcome to the translation forum!

There are three main reasons we have created this space:

1) It is meant to serve as a repository of "best translations" for vocabulary, expressions, idioms, etc, which often appear in texts related to Peru. ( "Peru Milenario", "cojinova", and "carajo" all spring to mind)

2) Translators can improve their network of contacts, which comes in useful when those big jobs roll in.

3) Clients can find translators to contract.

I hope it turns out to be useful. We will give it a three month test period.

-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Welcome to the translation forum

Postby chi chi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I teached some people English, French and Dutch.

I also helped with filling out visa applications.

My rates are very democratic and small jobs are free of charge.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm

chi chi wrote:I teached some people English, French and Dutch.

The purpose of the forum is not to overtly advertise your services. Sorry if I didn´t make that clear. The idea is that we build a community of people who need to translate Spanish to English, for one reason or another, and trip upon the same problems that have frustrated others before them. They share resources and everybody wins. If there are people who need translations done who recognize amazing spectacular talent amount the postees, they can contact them directly via PM.

So, reiterating the goal: This is the place to post your queries regarding tough to translate words, idioms, concepts, etc, and if you are so inspired, to post links to good resources, and to share glossaries.

- alan
-----
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Teached?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 am

"democratic" rates?
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 am

I'll offer up translations for the first 2.

Teached = enseñaba or mostraba

democratic rates = tarifas democráticas

For simple translations such as those 2, I find this site useful http://tradukka.com/translate
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 am

Too funny. Just proof a forum like this is needed. Auto translators will tanslate anything. There is no such word as teached -the past tense of to teach is taught. And democratic rates is a total misuse of words - do you really think the population gets to vote on his rates? And how odd someone would post a message full of vocabulary errors when offering translation services.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 am

Some people do not have English as their first language so some license should be allowed, at least as a courtesy in a forum with people from all over the world posting. You are right about teached but that does not mean no one knew the meaning, as as you seemed to have known. I can remember when it was said there is no such word as ain't. The Nuns in English class used to love to rap your knuckles for using that word.
Have you ever heard the term, People vote with their pocket books? How much more democratic is that?
Maybe we should stay on topic and you can offer something better than an online translator. I would love a better source.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 pm

Ah, Grasshopper. I know the axiom “People will vote with their pocketbooks.” It has to do with people voting selfishly at election time. Surely you are not suggesting that has any relevance here. Or are you suggesting that the resident clown held some kind of vote to establish his rates, his democratic rates? The phrase is garbage. Garbage in = garbage out. Submit that garbage phrase to a machine translator and, surprise, you get garbage. So your “tarifas democráticas” has no real meaning in Spanish. Equally, your “teached (sic) = enseñaba or mostraba” is likely wrong unless you mean it in the context of “Enseñaba cuando el cuchado estornudó”, but possibly you want to use “enseñé” or “estaba enseñando” or... who really knows when the original English was incorrect.

I understand your point about allowing some leeway to people whose first language is not English. I disagree. Granting leeway on the other threads may make sense, but not for this thread. This thread is about correct translations and hence correct use of words.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri May 03, 2013 9:20 am

I might buy that argument if this sub forum was for people with English as a first language wanting to translate English to Spanish. But it is not.
Many will come here, knowing that most speak English here. They want a Spanish word translated but guess what. That word they want translated is from their mother tongue. So they then must go to a 3rd language, English, and use an English word most close to their mother tongue. If they posted the word from their mother tongue, they word probably get no answer.

We can argue all day about interpretations and what tense and all that, but if 2 people post simply 2 words with simply question marks after them it is up the the reader to interpret, not some 3rd party to come in and cut it to pieces after someone, such as me, has already made an attempt to help out with the 2 words.

Have you ever seen 2 stores selling the same thing? One store seems to do better or even goes out of business such as when say a Walmart shows up. All the stores do their best to get your business (vote). One will always come out on top as in elections. How do these candidates (businesses) come out on top top? By people voting with their dollars. Offering prices (rates) the people favor (democratic rates). Hence the term "people vote with their pocketbooks".

English is a beautiful and broad language always open to interpretation. An American could go to England and never understand a word or be understood.
So if we were not to give leeway to non English speakers in this forum, perhaps we should determine which form of English we will accept. An American may order french fries with his burger while Brit might order chips with his burger.
I noticed you did not offer up a better alternative than an online interpretation. Too much on topic, for you?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am

Grasshopper, listen before you speak. What you fail to realize is that those two posts were not questions, but rather posts highlighting the English errors in a post of an incompetent offering translation services. You also fail to realize that there was no third party, rather one of the two who was amused by your misinterpretation.

Feel free to dig a deeper hole by arguing yourself blue that “democratic rates” or “democratic prices” is correct English. It is not. Feel free to misuse an axiom, totally out of context, to multiply your error. And even if your argument made any sense (it does not) why would you suggest reference to words of an American presidential candidate in the 1920's, in English, would have any meaning or connection in Spanish culture to a Peruvian? Trust me, “democratic rates” makes no sense in proper English and “tarifas democráticas” makes even less sense in Spanish in Peru... well, except for you. Being kind, people may try to interpret what is meant, but that doesn't make it correct English. Just as kind people try to understand my Spanish, but I know full well that I make many errors.

Did I, can I, offer a better translation? No. For one, no one asked for a translation (see above). For another, no one can correctly translate garbage. And only a machine would do it blindly.

You asked which form of English we should use in this forum. How about correct English, where “french fries”, and “chips”, and even “poutine” could be properly translated?

Finally, you state “An American could go to England and never understand a word or be understood.” Really? Don't be obtuse, it only encourages people to ignore anything else you might have to say.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Silly me. I come to a translations forum and see a couple of words with question marks after them. I translate and offer a source. Turns out, one of them (yours according to you) was there for some other purpose. And what might that purpose be, exactly? An error? Well, why did you not make that clear by offering a correction to the error?
I never said anything was correct English, far be it for me. I was merely pointing out that English is wide open to interpretation. Most don't seem to have a problem with the meaning of 'democratic rates'. Just look at the many that use the term and understand it while never questioning its meaning, right here in this very forum. You seem to be the only one that has ever had a problem with the term.

Proper English? French fries, chips, poutine? What is proper? Go to a Texas bar-b-q and ask for some chips, you might wind up with a plate full of cow dung.

While you may think I am being obtuse encouraging people to ignore me, for some reason I certainly have your attention, wanting to hijack and make this thread about something other than Spanish interpretation.

If I am digging a hole just remember, every shovel full I throw out, I am burying something else.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 pm

How about this one to chew on, folks.

¡Hay muchos sabelotodos en expat Perú!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri May 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Well, that was fun!

But to avoid having all of this wonderful energy run down the drain, I am going to close this thread (cauterize :D ) and invite one-and-all to post their queries, answers, glossaries and sources in new threads. I am sure Buddha would agree.
-----

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register