Racist Violence against whites (Ecuador Ambassador)

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racist Violence against whites (Ecuador Ambassador)

Postby falconagain » Thu May 02, 2013 11:51 pm

I just read this news on El Comercio 3 days ago, that the Ambassador from Ecuador
was just shopping in Magdalena, he was attacked violently by the daughter of a lady
that was also shopping, he responded physically as any other human being and after
being insulted he also responded verbally and with more violence against the people
that attacked him.

While the article in el Comercio sides with the Peruvian part, I have seen incidents
like this happen with more frequency to other People in Peru whether they are acquaintances,
authorities, family members ( I described an incident similar to the one of the ambassador
in one of the threads of this forum). It appears to me that that Peru as a society
is developing a certain degree of racism and hate against white educated people whether
they are local or foreign. But whenever things go south for the attackers they go to the
media and claim racism was directed towards them, when they were the ones that actually
begun the agression.

Peru tries to appear civilized to all countries. To the point that the society in general over
criticize the US to the point that whenever incidents that school shootings happen on the
news. Most Peruvians with a lot of vanity say: "That does not happen in Peru" when the reality
is actually different. I witnessed a case in the Andress Bello School in Avenida La Marina that
happened back between the years 1984 to 1985. I saw visually that a bunch of kids in that
school got together and tried to kill one of the few white kids on that school by throwing
him off a balcony (the kid was 9 years old). The weirdest thing happened after the incident.
The school director asked to the whole school population not to say anything to anybody about
what happened, making clear that the indian kids in general on the school would be blamed
and that it was not fair for them. After that the director also made a deal with the police
in order to minimize media coverage of the incident and asked the father of the kid who
was indian to be loyal to its race and not its child for the benefit of the school. The kid
was in a coma for a couple of years and came out with brain damage from the incident.
To this day the perpetrators of this incident walk free and whenever anybody brings up
comments about this event, the authorities keep hiding and not taking any responsibility.

Now, I have related two events, a recent one and another one of almost 30 years ago.
If things like that happened in Peru without any other accountability. What other things
relate to racism might be hidden today just because people decide that it would be bad
to talk about it.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Racist Violence against whites (Ecuador Ambassador)

Postby chi chi » Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 am

I saw the story about the Ecuadorian embassador today on the news.

I find it a bit strange. They blamed the ambassador but I wouldn't expect an embassador to start attacking people. If he did then he knows he will be in a lot of trouble.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri May 03, 2013 11:33 am

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRpDdHS3zw I ignored the overly biased reporter. It's as if he's not even watching the same video.

The ambassador was hit in the face before smacking back with a magazine. Both sides seem to be real pillars of their respective countries :roll: I can't understand how anyone could defend either party.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRpDdHS3zw I ignored the overly biased reporter. It's as if he's not even watching the same video.

The ambassador was hit in the face before smacking back with a magazine. Both sides seem to be real pillars of their respective countries :roll: I can't understand how anyone could defend either party.

This kind of issue happens very frequently, if it is an accident is justified to solve everything through
diplomacy, but if the incident repeats itself several times with different people, you need to do something
to stop. The same thing happened to me and my mother that is already old and walks with difficulty.
In that kind of situation is not positive or advisable to give the other cheek but to actually reply in kind
with violence.

You would not be a pillar of your country either if your mother or your father would be attacked on a similar way.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I'll keep that in mind for the next time a couple fat Peruvian ladies cut in front of me at Plaza Vea. I'll start carrying around issues of National Geographic just in case.
augusto ruiz

Postby augusto ruiz » Fri May 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Racist violents against whites???? are you kidding, right??

What happend whit the Ecuatorin Ambbasador does not have any relation whit racism. For me those ladys at the shopping center were wrong at the beginer, but the Ambassador cant response the attack for clear reasons. He should call the segurity and thats all, he must know his response could have really bad consecuense for his country.

I am really sick and tired about the discusions in Peru about skins color. In every social group of friends in Peru now you will see ppl whit differents skin colors, even at newton or markhan schools.

The Ambassador should back to Ecuador and the "ladys" say sorry to him as well.

saludos.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri May 03, 2013 11:03 pm

augusto ruiz wrote:Racist violents against whites???? are you kidding, right??

What happend whit the Ecuatorin Ambbasador does not have any relation whit racism. For me those ladys at the shopping center were wrong at the beginer, but the Ambassador cant response the attack for clear reasons. He should call the segurity and thats all, he must know his response could have really bad consecuense for his country.

I am really sick and tired about the discusions in Peru about skins color. In every social group of friends in Peru now you will see ppl whit differents skin colors, even at newton or markhan schools.

saludos.

It is a very common incident, Carlos Thorton talked about it on national Peruvian tv.
There is even a thread in foros Peru where they describe similar incidents.

The ambassador was especially targeted by that woman because he was well dressed,
white and talked differently. Her intentions are pretty obvious.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Sat May 04, 2013 5:22 am

Dont want to derail this discussion but put yourself in that mans position, and think what would you do?

Personally I would never hit a woman, no way! Now if it was truly self defense and i was worried for my life, then all bets are off, but regardless of racial tensions, i have my personal limits. Especially if i was an embassador of a neighboring country. Im surprised he didnt have better compousre, but really i guess i cant fault the guy, getting assulted like that. Oh well, i always thought the colasa at the checkout was brutal, now i will really be watching my back!
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 am

Falconagain is suffering from delusion of hate against whites (childhood trauma?). I am not saying there might be some isolated case, but this definitely is not one, as both parts in conflict are mestizos. Did the Peruvian ladies started it? it seems like it, however, an ambassador cannot respond like that striking back (A second video aired just yesterday seems to show kicking one of the ladies while she was on the floor), he sould have called security. If he were just a regular guy then this incident would be of no significance.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm

vivaperusurf wrote:Dont want to derail this discussion but put yourself in that mans position, and think what would you do?

Personally I would never hit a woman, no way! Now if it was truly self defense and i was worried for my life, then all bets are off, but regardless of racial tensions, i have my personal limits. Especially if i was an embassador of a neighboring country. Im surprised he didnt have better compousre, but really i guess i cant fault the guy, getting assulted like that. Oh well, i always thought the colasa at the checkout was brutal, now i will really be watching my back!

The point is that such incidents have become commonplace nowadays that is not a surprise that
the guy reacted that way. Back in 2010 I hopped in a bus from Avenue Arequipa to Avenida Universitaria
in Javier Prado, the bus by coincidence was full of clear skinned mestizos, on the next stop a girl
from the highlands hops in and with the excuse of moving to the back of the bus she kicked very
strongly almost every passenger. I was on an elevated seat on the back with a pretty good view
of what she did. By the time she reached me I received her with a good leg kick and a slap on her
face. She was about to complain but I just told her look back at the passengers to see if anyone
will help you. The faces of the people of the bus were full of hostility by then. Everybody knew
who the racist was and they were waiting for her complain to lynch her. After seeing the incident
with the Ambassador and thinking with the hindsight of experience. Maybe I should have pushed
the people for a lynching so the ambassador had a good precedent for his actions.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm

FHCZ wrote:Falconagain is suffering from delusion of hate against whites (childhood trauma?). I am not saying there might be some isolated case, but this definitely is not one, as both parts in conflict are mestizos. Did the Peruvian ladies started it? it seems like it, however, an ambassador cannot respond like that striking back (A second video aired just yesterday seems to show kicking one of the ladies while she was on the floor), he sould have called security. If he were just a regular guy then this incident would be of no significance.

The delusion is very real, it has happened to several friends of mine, family members and even mentioned
by Gianmarco on National TV when he had a tv program and sometimes on his facebook page.

Now, when Ambassadors get in trouble is usually due to a conflict of interests between countries or local
politics, Even an information Analyst in Washington working in International News will classify this as
the fault of the person other than the Ambassador involved in the incident which leaves very few probable
motives with Racism as a strong possibility.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat May 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Comments from other Peruvians in regards to this incident

Source
http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1571419 ... -escandalo

Martin Arrazola
y esta señora cuando sale a pedir disculpas porque querer dársela de viva y meterse a la cola?
Hace 2 díasMe gusta14420

Translation: This lady should apologize for playing a smart cookie and try to cut in line.

Rex Aguilar Ramos
En nuestra sociedad algunas mujeres se hacen las zamponas en las colas, y cuando les reclaman son malcriadas, no estamos para soportar sus malas actitudes,
Hace 2 díasMe gusta11414

Translation: In our society, certain women cut in line with different intentions, and when they caught
they misbehave, All Peruvians should not support this kind of behavior.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat May 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I heard the ambassador got the sack.
I hope for him that he can claim wellfare payments in Ecuador and get free social housing.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun May 05, 2013 1:59 pm

According to International Law a person protected under diplomatic immunity
is guaranteed by the host state that he will be protect and not liable of any type
of charges based upon the actions of the host state. The host state is obliged
to arrest immediately and place in jail and or fine the citizen that broke the
immunity.

Meaning that: as soon as Humala found out about the event he is obliged to order
the arrest and jail of the woman and her daughter together with the respective fine.
No local law supercedes International Law.

The media is acting in bad faith by not informing the public of international law.
And the Peruvian politicians are also lying by siding with the woman and her daughter.

By not recognizing and applying international law Peru is offending not only Ecuador
but all the other diplomatic bodies residing in Lima because their safety is not guaranteed
until the International Law is respected.

This action show to the world that Peru is not a civilized country.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun May 05, 2013 3:11 pm

augusto ruiz wrote:Racist violents against whites???? are you kidding, right??

saludos.

Agreed Augusto, the cashier and security guards were witnesses. There were no racial slurs. None of the witnesses mentioned racial slurs.

When I have called someone for cutting they look at me like I am the instigator lol...

The media in Peru acts like this guy threw punches, he hit them with a magazine to ward them off and they continued to attack (maybe the act of hitting with a magazine was degrading like they were an animal).

What gets me, is they are calling it violence against women, like only men can commit violent acts. The women went on after the altercation and tried to attack the Ambassador's niece, that is when he kicked the ladies.

So the Ambassador should have just stood there and took a beating ? If it were me, I would have knocked the woman out (she put her hands on me). It would have made it worth leaving (though he got booted anyway).

Augusto, like you mentioned there was nothing racial about it. Cutting line is common in Peru, I had to get use to it, especially old ladies. There is not much you can say when an old lady cuts. Makes one look like an idiot speaking up against them.

In Bodegas, I have had to speak up when someone enters and starts order things, after I was there first.

Most of all, after seeing the photos of both party, skin looks the same to me, not that dramatic shade of color. LOL...
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun May 05, 2013 3:35 pm

"Agreed Augusto, the cashier and security guards were witnesses. There were no racial slurs. None of the witnesses mentioned racial slurs."

Tupacperu the one made several interviews on national tv where they said that she got more upset
and violent when they were called "Cholas" (racial slur) by the ambassador. But the ambassador says
that they started the discussion first and that he had to respond in order to defend himself.

The problem is where is Peru defense of diplomatic immunity, why the police did not intervene
and arrested these women as is the usual procedure in any country in the world. Second, why the
press does not explain the law to the citizens of Peru.

This is a typical case of racism and something as it is acknowledge by other Peruvians in Facebook.

Luigi Sanguineti Y las viejas locas, histéricas, colonas y racistas también las van a denunciar, no?
Like · Reply · 25 · 15 hours ago via mobile
9 Replies
Translation And our Peruvian old crazy ladies, that screem and cut inline and are RACIST at the
same time, are they going to be processed by the law.

Pilar Heredia Diaz Investiguen a estas mujeres en su entorno y se llevaran sorpresas, de lo q se ve son racistas altaneras, soberbias etc
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hours ago
Translation I request that the government investigates these women and they will found out
that they are RACIST, ****.etc.

It is nice to see that more Peruvians are saying the truth online. Maybe Peru is changing for the best.

Whatever can be said in favor or against the women is beside the point. They broke the law and they
need to be penalized. There is no way around it.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Sun May 05, 2013 7:50 pm

I was informed by a taxi driver (so it must be true) that the whole thing is a set up!
The aim is to get Ecuador to do some sabre-rattling which - on the back of Peru's weak response - will highlight how ill-prepared Peru is in a región that is growing more volatile. The result will be more spending on the miltary and conscription brought back.

Could there be a connection between this and the miltary roadblocks in Tarapoto? I'll find out.......Taxi!!!
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 pm

rubble wrote:I was informed by a taxi driver (so it must be true) that the whole thing is a set up!
The aim is to get Ecuador to do some sabre-rattling which - on the back of Peru's weak response - will highlight how ill-prepared Peru is in a región that is growing more volatile. The result will be more spending on the miltary and conscription brought back.

Could there be a connection between this and the miltary roadblocks in Tarapoto? I'll find out.......Taxi!!!

A very real possibility could be the loss of the case with Chile at La Haya court.
Chile could say that if Peru does not respect diplomatic immunity then it has no right
to ask for a favorable result on their territorial dispute which actually has the base
of natural respect to International law.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 am

I HATE POLITICS!!!

If we treated EVERYONE - as our BROTHER or SISTER; this nonsense would be MOOT!!!

Philip :roll:
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 am

Falconagain as always siding against his country (too many indians you know :wink: ) and supporting that aryan fatherland that is Ecuador :mrgreen:

The ambassador first is a moron, for not knowing how to deal with a couple of "malcriadas" without lowering himself to their level

and really, do "white" people in Peru dont know how to insult or be vicious without using racial epithets? really? Gosh I can throw a tirade of insults in spanish and not even once use those. The problem with this ambassador was that rather than fighting the women, he engaged and insulted ALL OF US. What kind of moronic brain you have to have to do something like that?

Like my father sometimes say, he deserves jail not for the original crime but just for being an imbecile. :roll:
Last edited by Hitoruna on Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 am

[quote="Hitoruna"]Falconagain as always siding against his country (too many indians you know :wink: ) and supporting that aryan fatherland that is Ecuador :mrgreen:
[quote]

Do not pay atention to that guy . He hate peruvians from the bottom of his heart.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 08, 2013 4:12 am

victmanu wrote:
Hitoruna wrote:Falconagain as always siding against his country (too many indians you know :wink: ) and supporting that aryan fatherland that is Ecuador :mrgreen:

Do not pay atention to that guy . He hate peruvians from the bottom of his heart.

I am more interested in justice than to support the racist abuse from these ladies.
I am not the only one in Peru with that opinion. The Peruvian government is considering
to place the violent and racist Peruvian lady in jail for 8 years. That means that she broke
the law and not the ambassador.

In Ecuador there is actually more people mixed with Indians than in Peru and they recognized
this case for what it is: racism and intolerance. Peru is unfortunately decades behind them.

Besides my opinion I have also posted the opinions of other Peruvians with similar thoughts
about the situation.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 am

Here is the article about the possible jail time for the violent and racist Peruvian lady
http://peru.com/actualidad/mi-ciudad/ro ... cia-137511

Rodrigo Riofrío: Women that attacked him could receive up to 8 years of prison.

This was stated by the lawyer Sandro Astudillo, who denounced Castro and Cynthia Cristina Nunez for assaulting the Ecuadorian diplomat in a supermarket.

Lima. The two women who were fighting with former Ambassador of Ecuador in Lima, Rodrigo Riofrio, could receive between two to eight years in prison for assaulting the diplomat, as reported by the lawyer Sandro Astudillo, who denounced them to the prosecutor.

Astudillo said Cristina Castro denounced and daughter, Cynthia Nunez, because "they have left us look bad in the eyes of the international community", nevertheless, expected to be benign judge granted sanction.

In an interview with RPP Noticias, counsel indicated that the crimes for assaulting a diplomat are typified in the Penal Code and said that any complaint against him "will not succeed because it has immunity."

"I heard several groups want to report it, it will not succeed because he has diplomatic immunity, the Vienna Convention states so if you want to change that situation would have to gather signatures and demand that the agreement be repealed," he said.
end of article

Now the Peruvians in favor of this women are ignoring their own local law and the international law
at the same time in order to satisfy themselves to their misconceived idea of justice. Meanwhile
from an international perspective we are the joke of many countries because our own citizens do
not respect the rule of law and justice
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 am

I do not waste my time arguing with trolls. Who as usual provides false information, The government did not sue the ladies, If not a private lawyer.
Last edited by victmanu on Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
augusto ruiz

Postby augusto ruiz » Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Hitoruna wrote:Falconagain as always siding against his country (too many indians you know :wink: ) and supporting that aryan fatherland that is Ecuador :mrgreen:

The ambassador first is a moron, for not knowing how to deal with a couple of "malcriadas" without lowering himself to their level

and really, do "white" people in Peru dont know how to insult or be vicious without using racial epithets? really? Gosh I can throw a tirade of insults in spanish and not even once use those. The problem with this ambassador was that rather than fighting the women, he engaged and insulted ALL OF US. What kind of moronic brain you have to have to do something like that?

Like my father sometimes say, he deserves jail not for the original crime but just for being an imbecile. :roll:

i would say it is very suspect how "Falcoagain" is always agaist his own country ( i am not a "chauvinista") i undertand when you have some comments about things you don not like or you try to have some comments to do fix it. But say like the ladies could go to the jail for 8 years for attack the Ecuatorin, it is insult our intelligent mate....

we are peruvians, we are Mestizos
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm

augusto ruiz wrote:i would say it is very suspect how "Falcoagain" is always agaist his own country ( i am not a "chauvinista") i undertand when you have some comments about things you don not like or you try to have some comments to do fix it. But say like the ladies could go to the jail for 8 years for attack the Ecuatorin, it is insult our intelligent mate....

Augusto he proved before he hate peruvians. He dreams slaping and kicking indigenous women .
Ignore the troll .
I blame both parts. The women and the ambassador. I hope the ladies could make some kind of community labor for a week at least to show kids that the bad behavior is punished and not rewarded. They are not heroines, both parts acted like savages.
The press are treating the ladies as patriotic heroins. When they are two bad educated women. The same with the ambassador .
The ambassador and the women are mestizos. if it was about racism both sides used racist offenses, I am sure when the women heard the andean accent of the ambassador and they called him serrano or something like that. The ambassador could call a manager or a policeman to solve that problem but his response was at the same level of the bad behavior of the woomen . So both sides are guilty for something that ruined diplomatic relationships between our countries.
I also blame the press and the politicians of both countries. Including rafael Correa , and the corrupt major of magdalena who escalated this problem to levels that almost provoked a diplomatic rupture of relationships between Ecuador and Peru.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 pm

GROW UP - to all parties!!!
This is not the playgound at school & someone takes your seat on the "roto" (a round horizontal wheel) that the CHILDREN spin around & are expected to get sick (for me anyway).

Notice, I refer to these participants as CHILDREN; they deserve a social "spanking" & let's move on...

falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 08, 2013 7:31 pm

victmanu wrote:I do not waste my time arguing with trolls. Who as usual provides false information, The government did not sue the ladies, If not a private lawyer.

Which is why I posted the full news article with all the details right before your post.
Please read the posts in full before jumping to conclusions.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 08, 2013 7:34 pm

victmanu wrote:
augusto ruiz wrote:i would say it is very suspect how "Falcoagain" is always agaist his own country ( i am not a "chauvinista") i undertand when you have some comments about things you don not like or you try to have some comments to do fix it. But say like the ladies could go to the jail for 8 years for attack the Ecuatorin, it is insult our intelligent mate....

Augusto he proved before he hate peruvians. He dreams slaping and kicking indigenous women .
Ignore the troll .
I blame both parts. The women and the ambassador. I hope the ladies could make some kind of community labor for a week at least to show kids that the bad behavior is punished and not rewarded. They are not heroines, both parts acted like savages.
The press are treating the ladies as patriotic heroins. When they are two bad educated women. The same with the ambassador .
The ambassador and the women are mestizos. if it was about racism both sides used racist offenses, I am sure when the women heard the andean accent of the ambassador and they called him serrano or something like that. The ambassador could call a manager or a policeman to solve that problem but his response was at the same level of the bad behavior of the woomen . So both sides are guilty for something that ruined diplomatic relationships between our countries.
I also blame the press and the politicians of both countries. Including rafael Correa , and the corrupt major of magdalena who escalated this problem to levels that almost provoked a diplomatic rupture of relationships between Ecuador and Peru.

Actually I did not dream about it. I actually did it. Please make sure of properly reading a post
before commenting.
Both sides cannot be guilty, which is why the ambassador of Ecuador continues his career without
any damage and his own government my provide him reparations due to this incident.

Now, our Penal Code forbids this kind of behavior, where is the shame in the face of all
Peruvians. We need to respect our own laws first and act on gossip second, not the other way around.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 pm

1)
Seems that the ambassador really got hit first…
Indeed, Peruvian news depicted the incident quite differently.
He should not have hit back? Well… maybe he shouldn’t have…
BUT
when somebody gets attacked physically human beings, as is well known, get an adrenalin rush and usually react in 3 different ways: fight, flight, freeze.
Therefore, generally blaming the Ambassador because he “fought back” is simplifying the situation.

2)
If a woman makes the conscious decision to hit a man she has to expect that this man fully respects this clear and unambiguous expression of her emancipation and that he may (!) treat her in the same way as a male opponent. Violence is violence, irrespectively if the aggressor is a man or a woman.
Any response should be adequate though.

3)
@Falconagain
“Peru is not a civilized country.”?
I cannot confirm this.

4)
Violence against whites in Peru?
Fortunately, in the last 18 years I never had to experience this. Usually I get treated in the same way as I treat the Peruvians.

5)
Racism in Peru?
Positive! Through all social classes!
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 am

I find the title of this thread funny. The Ecuadorean ambassador may be "white" in terms of white versus Indian...but he doesn't look white to me. The inference in the title...is that white people have experienced racist violence. I have never seen this in the numerous times I have been to Peru. In fact, the only racism I have seen first hand, was at a party in San Miguel where one stupid lady made some comment about DARKER skinned Peruvians only being able to do menial jobs (which then prompted a big argument from me). Racism in it's purest meaning, does occur against whites in Peru....but is not necessarily negative and is not violent and is certainly no worse than what occurs in most countries. We were not at the store when this specific incident happened but the fact that he was hit, does not mean he was hit because he was "whiter" that some other median. Everything here and in the media is anecdotal....I will agree though with several commenters about the media in Lima...it is over the top sensationalist. El Commercio is a pretty good newspaper...the others are horrible and blow things WAYYYY out of proportion.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:22 pm

I AGREE - 100%

Keep up the excellent posts,

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 pm

I don't understand why some people hear talked about racism.

We don't know why they attacked the embassador and what has provoked the attack.

It might be the case that the attack has been provoked by the embassador.

And the story happened in Magdalena Del Mar. I spend a lot of time in Magdalena and never have been the victim of racism. Magdalena is a very popular área to live for expats and I never heard about anyone being discriminated against.

It could well be that the embassador jumped the line at the checkout in the supermarket and thought he had the right to do it because as the embassador he felt superior and the two ladies reacted to that.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu May 09, 2013 6:00 pm

This is the article from the Peruvian magazine Dedo Medio where they show the
lies and manipulation of Peruvian media against the ambassador of Ecuador.

"If you want an example of how the press can" fool you to make you to think what they want, listen to what journalists say while passing the different videos of the incident with former Ambassador of Ecuador in Peru.
In the first video titled the assault of former Ambassador,
But what everybody sees is two women fighting like in Mortal Kombat against an elderly man and his niece.

In this new video of ATV + the reporter says two interesting things:
1. That the video reached them before the other ones shown on national tv
(If this video was released first and it cleared the ambassador, then why it was not shown firts).

2. That in this new issue have ruled out other scenes to focus on the leg kicking from the former ambassador.
The reporter mentioned that they have several videos but "it seemed important to insist on finding the images of the kick".

In conclusion they are only showing what is convenient to them (the news).
It is more profitable to appeal to xenophobia and sexism than to try to be objective.

But the only way to be objective is to see the whole incident, step by step, not bits, and with all the evidence available so far. We describe the following:

1. He knows that everything starts with a lady who cuts in front of a man who
was waiting on the line at a supermarket.

2. Racist insults are made, according to several witnesses, the two ladies were the ones talking and
insulting, the ambassador has not spoken yet. To verify we check the audio only and that proves that there was a racial slur, listening to Mrs. Cristina Castro respond when the ambassador's niece said that Ms. Castro and her daughter pulled the hair: "You also , serrana ". (Mysteriously no tv channel mentions that Ms. Castro started the RACIST INSULTS first and this clarifies who is the agressor, Ms. Castro due to her RACISM).

3. The niece of former ambassador replied the following way to the tow ladies (according to
witnesses) two ladies: "because of people like you with no culture and fake pride. This is why
your country does not go forward". No RACIST language there.

4. The daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. Castro physically attack the niece of former ambassador and the ambassador himself. There are the videos.

5. The former ambassador uses a magazine to reply answers. Local people separate them.

6. The former ambassador and his niece are removed

7. The two ladies are not happy (Do they want blood?) And they will follow the former ambassador and his niece, they block the door of the supermarket and resume their assault.
And watch here with the situation: two people want to leave(ambassador and niece) and two want to continue (Mrs. Castro and Daughter) and take things to a higher physical aggression.

8. The embassador and his niece were stranded in a fight, you must have had strokes either side, but from which the press has decided to show only images of former Ambassador throwing a kick and niece being dragged to the floor (perhaps because there way to show the kick without showing also dragged to the ground). And of course it is terrible that the former ambassador has responded with kicks (but beware that even the Criminal Code exempts from punishment those who assaults another person in self-defense against unlawful violence).

Those are the facts, dear readers from Facebook.

http://www.forosperu.net/showthread.php?p=10456489

The police report that was provided to the President of Ecuador and Peru provides the same
descritption.
To this day no Peruvian tv channel wants to read the Police Report because it invalidates the news released by them.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu May 09, 2013 6:17 pm

richiecry wrote:I find the title of this thread funny. The Ecuadorean ambassador may be "white" in terms of white versus Indian...but he doesn't look white to me. The inference in the title...is that white people have experienced racist violence. I have never seen this in the numerous times I have been to Peru. In fact, the only racism I have seen first hand, was at a party in San Miguel where one stupid lady made some comment about DARKER skinned Peruvians only being able to do menial jobs (which then prompted a big argument from me). Racism in it's purest meaning, does occur against whites in Peru....but is not necessarily negative and is not violent and is certainly no worse than what occurs in most countries. We were not at the store when this specific incident happened but the fact that he was hit, does not mean he was hit because he was "whiter" that some other median. Everything here and in the media is anecdotal....I will agree though with several commenters about the media in Lima...it is over the top sensationalist. El Commercio is a pretty good newspaper...the others are horrible and blow things WAYYYY out of proportion.

Racismo en el Perú según Jose Enrique Escardo!
Racism in Peru according to Jose Enrique Escardo (Peruvian College Teacher)

Peruvian racism goes both ways, whites against indians and indians against
white. It is because Peruvians do not tolerate differences, our mentality is
that each person belongs to a group and whoever it is not in that group is
considered an enemy. It is something very Peruvian and quite different from abroad.

This is taught is Sociology and Psychology classes (first year, 100, 200) in all colleges
to this day.

Now even the Argentinians are aware of this like is described on this article from 2006
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/773706-asoma ... ra-blancos
Asoma en la región un nuevo racismo: indios contra blancos
Con Evo Morales, Ollanta Humala y Hugo Chávez, la raza se vuelve ideología

New Racism in South America, Indians against Whites.
with Evo Morales, Ollanta Humala and Hugo Chavez, the race becomes ideology.

Part of the election platform of Humala in the provinces was the promise that he was going
to reivindicate the indians and put the whites and criollos on its place. The article is very
detailed about this but for reasons of space and time I will not post the translation.

The Movimiento Nacionalista Peruano used phrases like this to convince the voters to side
with Humala on the elections.
"The whites are to blame for all our misfortunes, all our politicians steal but the Spanish
were a curse race and bequeathed us their bad blood"
Source:http://www.monografias.com/trabajos-pdf/discursos-racistas-peru/discursos-racistas-peru.pdf

This is how Humala convinced many Peruvians to vote for him. That is definitely
white racism.

Now richiecry if our President gets elected because of White Racism, the Argentinians publish
their findings on international news, Peruvian colleges teach this on their first year.
I am guessing that your awareness must be out of whack....
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 am

It will be quite obvious to many that you are trying to legitimize racism towards non whites by arguing that racism towards whites is a widespread problem. Even if it was true, t wouldn’t legitimize it. Racism is racism, full stop.

It's a fact that racism towards darker skinned indigenous people is far more widespread and deep rooted. That doesn’t legitimize racism towards white people but it’s a fact nevertheless.

In previous threads, you have tried to argue racism is just an understandable reaction from Peru's experience of terrorism. Again, it’s a complete dead end of an argument that doesn’t stand up to the slightest of scrutiny.

All this searching for excuses, all this trawling the internet for possible back up and support, all this posting of repetitive long posts - it’s all a waste of your time. Just admit that racism is wrong in any form and start trying to deal with that rather than looking for excuses.
Tom
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Giving congratulations to everybody was a very useless way to end the last
thread. You do not like to answer questions when the reality is inconvenient to you.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 pm

tomsax wrote:It will be quite obvious to many that you are trying to legitimize racism towards non whites by arguing that racism towards whites is a widespread problem. Even if it was true, t wouldn’t legitimize it. Racism is racism, full stop.

It's a fact that racism towards darker skinned indigenous people is far more widespread and deep rooted. That doesn’t legitimize racism towards white people but it’s a fact nevertheless.

In previous threads, you have tried to argue racism is just an understandable reaction from Peru's experience of terrorism. Again, it’s a complete dead end of an argument that doesn’t stand up to the slightest of scrutiny.

All this searching for excuses, all this trawling the internet for possible back up and support, all this posting of repetitive long posts - it’s all a waste of your time. Just admit that racism is wrong in any form and start trying to deal with that rather than looking for excuses.

The main point on this thread is that if an event involving an ambassador would have happened
in any other country besides Peru. Then the outcome would be pretty simple: 2 ladies arrested
and sent to jail. The President will apologize to the ambassador. This would have happened in
the United States, Europe, Russia, China, Australia. Which is why Peru is being racist and uncivilized
by not following the same rule book as all the other countries in the world.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri May 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Comment of an Ecuadorian citizen in regards to this situation:
Sandra Mercedez Franco
Si van para Perú piense bien antes de abrir la boca o que se den cuenta que es extranjero, pues no demoran en mostrar su falso nacionalismo convertido en odio racial o de clase...Propio de la Señorita Laura...

If anybody visits Peru, they should think before speaking or that somebody notices them as
foreigners, because then they(Peruvians) will show you their fake nationalism which is actually
a disguise for racial hate or class hate. This news are very similar to what Laura Bozo shows
in her program.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm

All racism is wrong and there can be no exuse for it, whether towards whites or towards people who come from the Peruvian highlands. Do you agree?
Tom
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm

The main point on this thread is that if an event involving an ambassador would have happened
in any other country besides Peru. Then the outcome would be pretty simple: 2 ladies arrested
and sent to jail. The President will apologize to the ambassador. This would have happened in
the United States, Europe, Russia, China, Australia. Which is why Peru is being racist and uncivilized

Do you agree Tomsax???
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sun May 12, 2013 12:23 am

falconagain wrote:The main point on this thread is that if an event involving an ambassador would have happened

Do you agree Tomsax???

No I don't. Now why can't you answer my simple question?
Tom

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register