endosos y postergaciones de boletos

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat May 04, 2013 8:14 am

But first, can someone give me a translation for “democratic rates” that would make sense to a Peruvian? By “deomocratic rates” I mean rates that were established by a vote.. well no. Rates that were pre-established by people voting with their pocketbook... hmm, doesn't work. How about rates that were adjusted by listening to people voting with their pocketbook... no. How about it means rates for which a majority of people would vote? Or does it mean cheap rates because in a democracy people prefer cheap ... Ah, just pulling your leg.

My serious question is something someone has asked me to explain on the LANPeru website. “En cumplimiento del Código de Protección y Defensa del Consumidor informamos las condiciones para Endosos y Postergaciones de boletos adquiridos a partir del 1 de Septiembre de 2011 al 31 de Mayo de 2013.” What is the translation of “endosos y postergaciones de boletos”? Or at least what is the interpretation of this to explain the meaning of “endosos y postergaciones” in the context of domestic airline tickets in Peru? Maybe some sabelotodos knows the answer (someone mentioned they exist here on ExpatPeru). Thanks in advance.

PS This caveat is specific to Peru.

Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: endosos y postergaciones de boletos

Postby Josh2U » Sat May 04, 2013 9:31 am

Here is the translation for your first one, Democratic rates, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22053#p115150

It is more an English idiom. You might have to explain it to the Peruvian. Idioms sometimes do not translate exactly from from one language to another.
What is it exactly are you trying or want to relate to a Peruvian?

Your 2nd one endosos y postergaciones de boletos is : endorsement and postponement of tickets.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 am

Ugh!

Did you know that if you look to the left of a post you can identify the poster?

I posted the first paragraph in jest, and I even clearly stated so (to wit: “just pulling your leg”), but apparently to no avail.

So I am tempted to ask you for a translation of “not the sharpest tack in the box” as in “I am...”, but that might be too cruel.

Tempting the wrath of Alan, and Buddha, and only since you refuse to listen, Grasshopper, I googled the “idiom” (sic) for you, you might be interested in the #1 hit:

http://www.spirit21.co.uk/2006/12/democ ... n-morocco/

“Democratic prices, undemocratic language in Morocco
One of the great pleasures for me of travelling round the Middle East, is the bargaining that takes place in the souq. The human connection, the gentle role-playing and the subtle humour make it a charming, if time-consuming past time. In my recent journey to Marrakech, I came across a new phrase from the shopkeepers to further their cause. They claimed that the price they were offering was a “democratic price”. Now since English is most likely their third or even fourth language (after North African Arabic, French and Berber) I’m sure the provenance of this word comes from somewhere much more sensical, although we couldn’t work out what it was meant to mean. Nonetheless we were tickled by the idea of a democratic price – one for all?”

Now lets forget all of the preceeding as water passed under the bridge.

Thank you for your serious attempt at my serious question. Since the only rule for this translation forum is one should do the basic research before posting, one can assume that I was aware of the machine translation of the words, but I struggled, and asked for help to undertand their meaning. What does it mean, an “endorsement of a ticket” for domestic flight in Peru? Who do you suspect is endorsing it, the passenger or the airline? And for what purpose?
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Sun May 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry, I did not realize your post was directed at me or whose leg you were pulling, you did not say.
Yes I look to the left and see the posters name. Weather the question was in jest or not went over my head especially when you consider the thread it came from was locked. For all I knew it was your way of flipping the mods the bird.
It really makes no difference, the question was asked. You have to keep in mind, many come to this thread not knowing that the question has already been asked and answered. For their benefit I provided an answer.
You really do go on and on, tearing up assistance offered. Wandering off topic and even off to another country just to get a simple answer. Morocco?

You originally ask for a translation and sarcastically thank me for my attempt. What, it is not correct? But now it becomes clear you actually want a definition, explanation, that is ok. Next time I will get my crystal ball out when you post.

Having not read to whole text, I suspect there is more, sounds like the legal, fine print, disclaimer gobbley gook they have to say basically telling you what code they follow in allowing rescheduling or more likely penalties for rescheduling, etc. This does not seem to be the whole document. Point me to to where you read this so I can understand the context better and maybe help you out more.
As an alternative many sites can be translated with Google Translate.
I would not be surprised if the LAN site has an option to switch to English. Look at the top and bottom, could be represented as flags.

I will translate, again, and define

endosos: endorce
Endorce: approve, confirm.

postergaciones: postpone
Postpone: delay, put off, hold over

endosos y postergaciones de boletos: endorsement and postponement of tickets

Now, what this phase means, based on the context you provided:
When you endorse the ticket you are subject to all rules and regs listed bought between 9/11 and 5/13. In this case rules and regs concerning cancelling or rescheduling. Caveat emptor? Read the fine print before accepting(endorsing)?

When is the ticket endorsed (approved, confirmed)? At the time you pay for it. You are accepting (endorsing) all terms and conditions listed with your purchase.

If you decide to cancel your flight or postpone and you raise a ruckus when they will not refund full amount or charge a fee for rescheduling they can point to their rules and regs they supplied that you accepted (endorsed) with your purchase.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

I get the date change, it is the other I do not underst

Postby teamoperu » Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 am

Endosos y Postergaciones
En cumplimiento del Código de Protección y Defensa del Consumidor informamos las condiciones para Endosos y Postergaciones de boletos adquiridos a partir del 1 de Septiembre de 2011 al 31 de Mayo de 2013.

Condiciones para Endosos y Postergaciones

Respecto al endoso:

1.Se aplica sólo en boletos 100% pagados, en rutas 100% nacionales en el Perú e iniciados en éste.
2.Se realiza de forma presencial en las oficinas comerciales de las líneas aéreas emisoras del boleto, dentro de sus horarios de atención y con un mínimo de 24 horas antes de la salida del vuelo inicial, presentándose el titular y el beneficiario del boleto con DNI. No se realiza en Aeropuertos.
3.Aplica cargo por endoso de $15.
4.Los boletos de Programas de Pasajeros Frecuentes, se rigen por los procedimientos de cada programa.
5.No aplica a empresas que cuenten con contrato corporativo, conforme al Código de Protección y Defensa al Consumidor.
6.Aplica sólo si es la única reserva vigente durante las fechas que conforman el periodo de viaje de la misma.
Respecto a las postergaciones (para tarifas base):

1.Se aplica sólo en boletos 100% pagados, en rutas 100% nacionales en el Perú e iniciados en éste.
2.Se realiza de forma presencial en las oficinas comerciales de las líneas aéreas emisoras del boleto, dentro de sus horarios de atención y con un mínimo de 24 horas antes de la salida del vuelo inicial, presentándose el titular del boleto con DNI. No se realiza en Aeropuertos. El cambio procederá respetando siempre:
a. Las regulaciones del boleto original, sujeto a la disponibilidad de la misma clase tarifaria o superior; aplicando cobro de diferencia tarifaria, de ser el caso.
b. Aplica cobro por reemisión de $15
c. Aplica cargo por reserva cancelada de US$ 25.
3.La postergación será por un plazo máximo de 15 días siguientes de la fecha original de salida del primer tramo
4.No aplica a empresas que cuenten con contrato corporativo, conforme al Código de Protección y Defensa al Consumidor.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 am

Crystal ball needs batteries.
Is there a question omitted from the previous post?
SarzaCriolla
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SarzaCriolla » Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm

LAN probably does have the text in English somewhere, but judging by the flight I just took with them, I get the feeling it may just make things more confusing. They don't seem to use native English speaking translators for much of their information.

Based on other (legal and financial) contexts I've seen these terms used in, I would say that an "endoso" is when the traveler signs a document transferring the ticket to another passenger, something which I didn't think LAN usually allowed, but apparently with a more flexible/expensive ticket they do.

"Postergación" is postponement, so I assume they're referring here to when a passenger cancels and reschedules his/her flight for a later date.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Josh2U wrote:Crystal ball needs batteries.
Is there a question omitted from the previous post?

Really? Second time recently you have been obtuse, is it a life-long habit? Maybe when you grow up someone will gift you a crystal ball that doesn't need batteries, maybe even a nice new shiny solar-powered one with which you can play to keep you from embarrassing yourself?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon May 06, 2013 5:42 pm

SarzaCriolla wrote:LAN probably does have the text in English somewhere, but judging by the flight I just took with them, I get the feeling it may just make things more confusing. They don't seem to use native English speaking translators for much of their information.

Based on other (legal and financial) contexts I've seen these terms used in, I would say that an "endoso" is when the traveler signs a document transferring the ticket to another passenger, something which I didn't think LAN usually allowed, but apparently with a more flexible/expensive ticket they do.

"Postergación" is postponement, so I assume they're referring here to when a passenger cancels and reschedules his/her flight for a later date.

Thank you. Yes, your and Josh's idea of checking one of LAN's English websites is a good idea, thought of that, but the problem is, as I mentioned, this is very specific to Peru so no other website has this notification in any language... and there is no English version of the LanPeru website!

You will see that the notification specifies it is for base fare tickets (X fare restricted to residents). Base fare tickets are the cheapest, so the notification does NOT apply to the expensive fare class tickets! Agree with you that no airline, including LAN, allows you to change the name on a ticket or sign it over to another person, that is why it is confusing... but maybe it is just that, some weird exception in Peru on resident fares?

What also is confusing to me, because I do know that airlines can endorse their ticket over to another carrier, but that is normally done at an airport when there are irregular operations and the airline cannot fulfill its obligations. Done by the airline, not the passenger. Done at the airport, not at an office as the notification specifies.

So would you agree the correct translation/interpretation in this instance of “endoso de boleto”, would be “change of names on a ticket” or “sign the ticket over to another person”?
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Mon May 06, 2013 5:51 pm

It means "sign the ticket over to another person"
This may help, http://peru21.pe/noticia/948848/puedes- ... je-tercero
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

Josh2U wrote:It means "sign the ticket over to another person"
This may help, http://peru21.pe/noticia/948848/puedes- ... je-tercero

Good find! I think that settles it pretty conclusively, thanks.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register