Turning the corner about trash disposal

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Turning the corner about trash disposal

Postby sidro » Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 am

I consider Peru a very beautiful country, with so much to offer to all. The majority of the folks here are very friendly and accommodating and many strive to advance in stature and lifestyle. However, it seems that Peru is stuck in a cultural rut regarding concerns of trash refuse. I can´t understand the mentality of all the cities in Peru spending hoards of money for ¨beautification¨ projects, only to allow the general masses to throw their bags of trash anywhere to blow about and attract vultures, rats, coackroaches and a myriad of other health jeopardizing factors. It appears to be more of the norm, rather than the rarity for this to take place, with no apparent penalty or fine for the perpetrators. The governments here, federal and local, need to educate and establish a form of penalty at some point in time, otherwise Peru will always be classifed as a ¨third world¨ country. What a shame!

Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Turning the corner about trash disposal

Postby Josh2U » Sun May 05, 2013 10:59 am

Really? Vultures? Beautiful creatures. Are they that widespread? Love to grab some photos. Assuming you are referring to urban areas, where might I go to witness these majestic creatures?
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Sun May 05, 2013 8:54 pm

sidro wrote:I consider Peru a very beautiful country, with so much to offer to all. The majority of the folks here are very friendly and accommodating and many strive to advance in stature and lifestyle. However, it seems that Peru is stuck in a cultural rut regarding concerns of trash refuse. I can´t understand the mentality of all the cities in Peru spending hoards of money for ¨beautification¨ projects, only to allow the general masses to throw their bags of trash anywhere to blow about and attract vultures, rats, coackroaches and a myriad of other health jeopardizing factors. It appears to be more of the norm, rather than the rarity for this to take place, with no apparent penalty or fine for the perpetrators. The governments here, federal and local, need to educate and establish a form of penalty at some point in time, otherwise Peru will always be classifed as a ¨third world¨ country. What a shame!

So your solution is to allow the government vultures, rats and cockroaches to swoop in and levy fines or worse exert more government control to educate those friendly and accommodating people to stop being litter bugs.
Teach them how they do it in a "1st world" country?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:56 am

I too, am APPAULED by how "society" continues to have a system where GARBAGE is deposited at the curb & the less fortunate do swoop in like VULTURES & collect the recycleables!

This doesn't happen too much in the TOURIST AREAS: but elsewhere, it is WIDE-SPREAD!
There has to be a better way to dispose of the rubbish/trash, while allowing these people who NEED to RELY upon collecting recycleables - to have some modest income to live.

In the US where I used to reside (PA); many towns had a $300 fine for including recycleables in the garbage; yet there were MANY SOCIAL PROGRAMS to help the POOR - survive. Peru has not seen the reality of providing for ITS' POOR, so they don't have to resort to scattering garbage or CRIME - to merely EXIST!!!

If I were PRESIDENT...

Philip :roll:
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:I too, am APPAULED by how "society" continues to have a system where GARBAGE is deposited at the curb & the less fortunate do swoop in like VULTURES & collect the recycleables!

This doesn't happen too much in the TOURIST AREAS: but elsewhere, it is WIDE-SPREAD!
There has to be a better way to dispose of the rubbish/trash, while allowing these people who NEED to RELY upon collecting recycleables - to have some modest income to live.

In the US where I used to reside (PA); many towns had a $300 fine for including recycleables in the garbage; yet there were MANY SOCIAL PROGRAMS to help the POOR - survive. Peru has not seen the reality of providing for ITS' POOR, so they don't have to resort to scattering garbage or CRIME - to merely EXIST!!!

If I were PRESIDENT...

Well, you seem to be the only one with a civil and intelligent response to my post. I don´t quite understand Josh 2U and metalmouth´s bitter childish responses to my post.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Well, you seem to be the only one with a civil and intelligent response to my post. I don´t quite understand Josh 2U and metalmouth´s bitter childish responses to my post

Unfortuantley whenever someone dares to make a slightly negative observation of a part of society on this site, the inevitable kneejerk defence mechanism kicks in and lashes out. Such is the inevitability of silly comments and calls of 1st world snoberry that one must always put "Peruvians are the most friendly people i have ever met but...." before any slight criticism to soften the inescapable backlash.

I agree 100% with you, i pay a lot of taxes and i would like some of that to be spent on refuse and advertisemnt telling people the importance of keeping the streets clean, there was even a case of the bubonic plague in Trujillo because of poor waste management.

In my home country we had many adverts on TV regrding crime, drink driving, use of seatbelts and many signs telling people to keep the country clean, and it worked! I would never be so arogant and say that i wont listen. Yet the apologists just end up insulting the people by capitualting and saying that large parts of the country is messy and thats how it is, and we must keep quiet.

But dont worry there are millions of Peruvians and Expats who are sick of litter being strewn on the streets.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am

dh2012 wrote:But dont worry there are millions of Peruvians and Expats who are sick of litter being strewn on the streets.

The solution is simple. Move to Tarapoto. It's the cleanest city in Peru.
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Mon May 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Yup, Sidro is right, there is an obvious and huge problem with trash culture, trash pickup, and municipal solid waste disposal. I think Sidro was not referring to humans swooping in like vultures, but actual big black vultures called "gallinasos" (what we would call a turkey vulture in the US) that are everywhere in the north coast, ceja de la selva, selva baja, and I presume all over the south too.

lets be honest, Peruvians throw their trash out the window of the car, on the ground as they're walking, from their door out to the curb any time of week regardless of the trash pickup schedule, etc. There is a basic lack of education about the environmental damage this causes, and its just plain ugly and unnecessary.

there is also a total lack of public trashcans, a coherent system of trash pickup, and any type of concern or solution on the governmental level for this problem.

this is solvable. Frankly the US had this problem as recently as the 70's. when I was a kid it was common for people to just throw their trash out the window of the car in southern California. then the problem got fixed through a combination of public awareness campaigns (give a hoot, don't pollute -- indian crying), school brainwashing of young children, and harsh penalties for littering. BUT, the government also has to provide trash cans, pickups and other services around the issue.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 pm

budley wrote:Yup, Sidro is right, there is an obvious and huge problem with trash culture, trash pickup, and municipal solid waste disposal. I think Sidro was not referring to humans swooping in like vultures, but actual big black vultures called "gallinasos" (what we would call a turkey vulture in the US) that are everywhere in the north coast, ceja de la selva, selva baja, and I presume all over the south too.

lets be honest, Peruvians throw their trash out the window of the car, on the ground as they're walking, from their door out to the curb any time of week regardless of the trash pickup schedule, etc. There is a basic lack of education about the environmental damage this causes, and its just plain ugly and unnecessary.

there is also a total lack of public trashcans, a coherent system of trash pickup, and any type of concern or solution on the governmental level for this problem.

this is solvable. Frankly the US had this problem as recently as the 70's. when I was a kid it was common for people to just throw their trash out the window of the car in southern California. then the problem got fixed through a combination of public awareness campaigns (give a hoot, don't pollute -- indian crying), school brainwashing of young children, and harsh penalties for littering. BUT, the government also has to provide trash cans, pickups and other services around the issue.

Actually since the 80s, every 2 to 3 years there have been several campaigns on different levels, unfortunately our population is very deaf about the trash problem unless it affects them directly,
as an example you can see the illegal miners in Madre de Dios, typical Peruvians that started to
make $5000 per head average but also became the worst polluters on a national level. Our President
Humala tried to suggest that they paid at least some taxes and all of them threatened the President
back with a revolt. Now, if this is what happens with people that have the means to solve the problem
immediately and at a low cost. You can imagine the attitude of the rest of people.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 pm

budley wrote:BUT, the government also has to provide trash cans, pickups and other services around the issue.

It's indeed difficult to find a trashcan in Peru. Most of them are only located at the Plaza or in public parks but elsewhere they are difficult to find.

Same with public toilets. Often you see people using the public parks and streets as a toilet.

Providing trashcans and toilets isn't difficult but the problem is finding the money to pay for it.
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 pm

and also importantly, like so many problems in Peru, the police have to care enough to do their job and fine people for infractions. so that means leaving their car or their corner and actually working, which is not their specialty. and not just take a bribe but actually enforce the law and improve their country.

I do not predict this happening any time soon based on my experience with the PNP
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:53 am

The fine for not cleaning up your doggie's POOP in the parks is 3,600 soles!!!
What a joke; I go to the park & see the security people "look the other way" when owners don't clean up.
The dogs are let loose from a home & go to the park & POOP; it is not difficult to see where they came from.

Unfortunately, if something doesn't dirrectly affect people (anywhere); they are less concerned to care.
Let them step in POOP in the park or on the sidewalk - away from home - & hear them SCREAM!
Same with garbage - "out of house & out of mind"; yet this attracts "vultures" & unhealthy pests.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register