great flight offers

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

great flight offers

Postby chi chi » Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 am

We just bought 2 return tickets from Tarapoto to LA with LAN on http://www.despegar.com for $858 per ticket. We only have to wait 2 hours at the transfer in Lima.

Hopefully the flight is overbooked so we volunteer to take the next flight and getting a free upgrade and a few hundred dollares in compensation like we often do.

Viva LAN.

Hurry up, the cheap fares bonanza is finishing soon.

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: great flight offers

Postby teamoperu » Sat May 11, 2013 10:24 am

Wow, why would you pay so much? I can see these tickets for about $200 less than that per ticket!

And expats, avoid booking on third party sites like despegar, way better for you or your travel agent to book with the airline directly because then the airline has to solve any problems rather than referring you to the third party.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat May 11, 2013 10:26 am

teamoperu wrote:Wow, why would you pay so much? I can see these tickets for about $200 less than that per ticket!

I miswrote. They ticket is actually to Las Vegas but via LA.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Wow, why would you pay so much? I can see these tickets for about $200 less than that per ticket!

I still see tickets available at $110 per ticket less than you paid.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:42 am

Please share with ALL OF US - your expertise in securing such "democratic" rates.
Chi Chi has had many years of EXPERIENCE in the airline industry; maybe we ALL CAN LEARN SOMETHING!

Thanks for your posting,
Philip :roll:
PS - thinking of going to Mendelin in the next 3-4 months; any suggestions???
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Please share with ALL OF US - your expertise in securing such "democratic" rates.
Chi Chi has had many years of EXPERIENCE in the airline industry; maybe we ALL CAN LEARN SOMETHING!

Thanks for your posting,
PS - thinking of going to Mendelin in the next 3-4 months; any suggestions???

Do not know what you mean in the first line... so cannot answer. But no one with years of experience in the travel industry would book an overpriced ticket from a third party.

Do you mean Medellin? Last time I flew Bogota to Medellin return, all-in, I paid the equivelent of $60, but that was a special offer.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat May 11, 2013 12:24 pm

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Right, there were cheaper ticket available but on other dates and with other airlines.
But we prefer to fly with decent airlines like LAN and TACA that offer excellent service and fly decent aircrafts like AIRBUS.
Beside that, after this booking, we now have saved enough points on our LAN pass to get the next flight for free. We will use those points to get a free flight to Cuba.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat May 11, 2013 3:27 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Right, there were cheaper ticket available but on other dates and with other airlines.
But we prefer to fly with decent airlines like LAN and TACA that offer excellent service and fly decent aircrafts like AIRBUS.
Beside that, after this booking, we now have saved enough points on our LAN pass to get the next flight for free. We will use those points to get a free flight to Cuba.

Other airlines with indecent aircraft? No, not at all, I am seeing from Tarapoto to Lima on an A320 and Lima to LAX on a 767 or even (depending on your dates) the new Dreamliner (wow) and then a OneWorld short hop connector to Vegas. Not sure why you are willingly overpaying for your tickets except partly to the line the pockets of despegar. Cut out the middlleman and save money.
LiveInPeru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby LiveInPeru » Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 pm

I just flew round trip Lima/Orlando for about $680 on LAN/Avianca. Surprisingly low price for a ticket bought for same day travel. The trip to Orlando was via Quito and San Salvador, so a long flight with boring layovers. The return was through Bogata, so not so bad.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Unless you are exchanging PM's unbeknownst to the board, I don't see how you can compare rates. It was not made clear by Chi-Chi when he was going on his flights so do not see how you can compare your rate to the rate that Chi Chi paid.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed May 15, 2013 6:46 pm

LiveInPeru wrote:I just flew round trip Lima/Orlando for about $680 on LAN/Avianca. Surprisingly low price for a ticket bought for same day travel. The trip to Orlando was via Quito and San Salvador, so a long flight with boring layovers. The return was through Bogata, so not so bad.

Same day. Yes, quite well done! Very hard to find that low a price even with a 21-day fare rule.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm

tomasb wrote:Unless you are exchanging PM's unbeknownst to the board, I don't see how you can compare rates. It was not made clear by Chi-Chi when he was going on his flights so do not see how you can compare your rate to the rate that Chi Chi paid.

Yes, well, I am sure there is lot you don't understand y no es mi chamba to educate you.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Wed May 15, 2013 6:57 pm

I understand, completely.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 am

Josh2U wrote:I understand, completely.

That makes two of us.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm

What is the HARM on being somewhat more EXPLICIT in the details?
After all, none of us are experts in every facet of life that affects - EXPATS.
"Play nice & be sure to share your cupcakes with the other kids on the playgorund; it makes for a nice day"

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register