PERU ON CNN - SUNDAY JUNE 02...

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

PERU ON CNN - SUNDAY JUNE 02...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:33 am

Hey Everyone,

Did anyone also watch the CNN show on Peruvian FOOD, this past Sunday night?
The series is called "Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown"; CNN features food from around the world.
I was really interested in the chocolate growing region & a special "total white seeds" variety - that is RARE!

If you had a chance to view, I hope you enjoyed.

Philip :roll:
PS - I apologize, I should have made an announcement about the show - previous to airing...

metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: PERU ON CNN - SUNDAY JUNE 02...

Postby metal moth » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:38 pm

I saw it.
Good program but it made me hungry.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 am

My Peruvian wife was confused & UPSET; why the show spent some 12 minutes on "Sharmen" (vodo guys).
Is this really going on in Peru; maybe Chi Chi knows more...
It was a great program to examine all the cuisine aspects of Peru - WOW!!!

ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 am

Are they going to do reruns? Darn I missed it. Oh well, I'll just wait for the Youtube version.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 am

They usually rerun the previous program right before the new one by the end of the week.

I know that there is a middle of the week rerun but I do not know when.

Sometimes people post the whole program in youtube.

I watched the first half an hour. Ceviche and Anticuchos. Tony has improved a lot in the
way he presents his program. This is way better than No Reservations.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:24 am

falconagain wrote:They usually rerun the previous program right before the new one by the end of the week.

I know that there is a middle of the week rerun but I do not know when.

Sometimes people post the whole program in youtube.

I watched the first half an hour. Ceviche and Anticuchos. Tony has improved a lot in the
way he presents his program. This is way better than No Reservations.

Tony is fun and he succeeded as a chef as well as a journalist each year getting better. Now it looks like he has the new production team, fresh, modern and highly professional. Love his shows and how he presents it in an amazing way all together country, culture, food and people!
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Channel surfing I have seen reruns from other "Parts Unknown" shows; I would watch again...
Not sure why they focused so much time on a "Sharmen" (witch doctor type of person)?
Peru is certainly the #1 nation in S. America for the diversity of FOOD!!!

Enjoy you day,
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Maybe next time he can visit the grape growing regions of southern Peru and indulge in the healthy drink of chicha morada.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 pm

My wife is a firm believer in shamanism and voodoo.

She has an ekeko that smokes cigarettes and brings us good luck.
She says a chant as he's smoking.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 pm

metal moth wrote:My wife is a firm believer in shamanism and voodoo.

She has an ekeko that smokes cigarettes and brings us good luck.
She says a chant as he's smoking.

Not good. Watch out and take care.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:58 pm

You know kitty, I have to congratulate you :wink:

I believe you are a foreigner. And yet I have never met any foreigner like you, so internalized into being a peruvian....

well, at least the negative part of us... :roll:
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Hitoruna wrote:You know kitty, I have to congratulate you :wink:
I believe you are a foreigner. And yet I have never met any foreigner like you, so internalized into being a peruvian....
well, at least the negative part of us... :roll:

How do you know I'm a foreigner? Maybe soy mas perucha que la papa serrana? Asi que no necesita felicitarme, simplemente conozco muy de cerca lo que hablo.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:13 pm

And I don't hide from foreigners the REAL Peru. Anyway, gringos are NOT stupid, sooner or later they learn how is the Peruvian way of living.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 pm

well then everything falls into place. You obviously sound peruvian.

and no, gringos are not stupid, the thing is that they dont have the enormous negative baggage that many of us peruvians (like you ) have. that is something I admire of them. Our vision is "patas parriba". You should learn from them.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Hitoruna wrote:well then everything falls into place. You obviously sound peruvian.

and no, gringos are not stupid, the thing is that they dont have the enormous negative baggage that many of us peruvians (like you ) have. that is something I admire of them. Our vision is "patas parriba". You should learn from them.

Y zufria, zufria, zufria ... everybody has what you call "enormous negative baggage", in any country there are problems, suffering and misery, even in the richest ones, it's the attitude which counts and the desire to do it better not only for yourself but also for others.
BTW, I learn from everybody and anybody, now here from you and I hope some people learn something from me.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Channel surfing I have seen reruns from other "Parts Unknown" shows; I would watch again...
Not sure why they focused so much time on a "Sharmen" (witch doctor type of person)?

Enjoy you day,

The programe would not have been aimed at a majority Peruvian audience, they'd sooner watch gutter TV hosted by the likes of Gisela or magaly. The focus on "Sharmen" was probably there to add a little mystique in order to attract the North American and Europeans.
Last edited by panman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 am

panman wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:Channel surfing I have seen reruns from other "Parts Unknown" shows; I would watch again...

Enjoy you day,

The programe would not have been aimed a majority Peruvian audience, they'd sooner watch gutter TV hosted by the likes of Gisela or magaly. The focus on "Sharmen" was probably there to add a little mystique in order to attract the native American and Europeans.

I think the word you are looking for is Shaman (like the american indian witch doctors).
Anthony Bourdain made his first program about Peru (No Reservations) by including an
extended segment about them to.

Apparently the consumption of Ayahuasca is quite popular for many people abroad and Tony
was trying to promote Peru in such a way.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 am

Yes, "SHAMAN" seems better...
My Peruvian wife was offended by the inclusion of this woo-doo stuff; I was amused.
Does this sharman-stuff really have much of a foot-hold in areas of Peru (other than the larger cities)?

Philip & Rosmery :roll:
PS - The sharman has all the FUN; gets to smoke the "weed" & give a blessing - where do I take these classes?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Yes, "SHAMAN" seems better...
My Peruvian wife was offended by the inclusion of this woo-doo stuff; I was amused.
Does this sharman-stuff really have much of a foot-hold in areas of Peru (other than the larger cities)?

Philip & Rosmery :roll:
PS - The sharman has all the FUN; gets to smoke the "weed" & give a blessing - where do I take these classes?

Actually Shamanism and Santeria are quite common in Peru. And Tony loves to make in depth research
before making a program. If you take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism you will notice
that there are several studies by North American researchers made recently in Peru.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Another take on the Bourdain show...http://www.peru-insider.com/featured/ev ... bout-peru/
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 am

WOW!!!

I did notice that the proposed gourmet chocolate business; was mentioned so many times.
I wasn't aware, there were so many distortions of the true Peru; AB - you are not welcome here!

PS - thanks for the web site, enlightening...
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 am

calygirl wrote:Another take on the Bourdain show...http://www.peru-insider.com/featured/ev ... bout-peru/

That article reminded me of the op ed pieces that showed up about the Indiana Jones movie getting everything wrong about Peru as if it should have been some kind of accurate history. Bourdain has an entertainment show and if they miss some historical facts, so be it. One must really have thin skin to get offended by something like this.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

calygirl wrote:Another take on the Bourdain show...http://www.peru-insider.com/featured/ev ... bout-peru/

Tony always tries to improve his program compared to what he did before. Without over analyzing
the program I saw the following:

- a great deal of excellent seafood served in Pucusana.
- one of the best ceviches served in Lima by a Japanese Peruvian.
- Anticuchos close ups that make you want to eat them, no matter where are you from.
- the ceremony to bless his business venture performed by a Shaman. Tony and his friend
try to find some humor and upbeat side to the situation.
- showing a museum with gold inca artifacts and then concentrating on the erotic huacos section
(something actually portrayed for the first time in prime time tv).
- Tony showed how difficult is still to contact farmers and how slow is the transportation in Peru,
to open a simple business to import cacao.

So far it has been one of the most sincere and balanced programs to date about Peru.
No mention of Macchu Picchu or any of the usual places.

The point of the program is to excite the curiosity of the traveler.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I didn't realize that AB, was of such ENTERTAINMENT value; I have only watched two (2) of his presentations.
I will agree, AB is a "character"!!! I have no knowledge of his background or past life experiences.

budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I run the cacao and chocolate project that Bourdain / Ripert / Curtin visited and was with them for the filming of all the campo stuff. I thought the show was very fair to Peru, and did very minimal eye rolling or snarkiness about the poverty of the country as a whole or the farmers in particular. Anyone interested in Peru's cuisine would be more interested and more likely to visit after that show IMO. He went to places never really shown on a platform like CNN before (Chiclayo, Marañon cacao country, etc.) This was a big win for Peru.

the Peru Insider article is ridiculous, points 1 and 2 are hardly significant details, every show has some small factual errors. On point 3, I thought his treatment of the shaman thing was pretty respectful since he obviously doesn't care, it was Ripert's thing. he gets paid to be irreverent, funny and entertaining, not blithely respectful.

on Point 4, that was a place that was locally famous for being a robbery spot, it was very unsafe until a group of veterans from the Ecuador war set up a security checkpoint and now the road is safe and controlled. He was paying a voluntary toll, as i do every time i pass that spot. the road was absolutely unsafe before they set up. that was not over dramatized, those guys are there for a reason and he did nothing other than film the reality.

Point 5, its not a news program, its a travel program on a news network, its meant to draw ratings. of course he used it to sell chocolate, he's a smart businessman, that's why he's a millionaire and has 1.4 million twitter followers. Obviously it wasn't perfect, starting with the fact that they cut the parts where i was on camera :-) But it was a very entertaining and fair show from my perspective, we should all be proud of the coverage.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Falcon, Philip and Budley, I agree with you. Tony is very talented chef and even more talented self made journalist and his show about Peru is very good for to attract more tourists and investors. I wouldn't criticize his mistakes, the result is great and his show not only makes a good entertainment but brings knowledge about other cultures and tourism to the most remote regions.
Way to go, Tony!
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 pm

I cant believe the crudulity of some posters here, It was just a plug for his chocolate company, i cant believe that anyone could not see through that. He taught nothing new about the food, he mentioned ceviche and jungle food (how original!!) then 20 minutes about how exclusive his chocolate was and even a part about how his business costs were broken down.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:30 am

SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:35 am

dh2012 wrote:I cant believe the crudulity of some posters here, It was just a plug for his chocolate company, i cant believe that anyone could not see through that. He taught nothing new about the food, he mentioned ceviche and jungle food (how original!!) then 20 minutes about how exclusive his chocolate was and even a part about how his business costs were broken down.

So what? You don't like other people success? Go and do the same as Tony does. He doesn't hide the information. Peru needs investors and export, everybody is welcome.

Here is about Tony's business, actually he gives his name mostly for promotion, the other 2 are the real owners.
Here's Bourdain and Ripert's Good & Evil Chocolate Bar
Wednesday, November 7, 2012, by Paula Forbes
http://eater.com/archives/2012/11/07/he ... te-bar.php
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 am

If anyone is interested; the chocolate bar of AB & others - is $18 for 2.6 ounces.
I don't buy gourmet chocolate; so I am not sure if this is a good price or not. Any comments???

Enjoy life,
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:47 pm

dh2012 wrote:I cant believe the crudulity of some posters here, It was just a plug for his chocolate company, i cant believe that anyone could not see through that. He taught nothing new about the food, he mentioned ceviche and jungle food (how original!!) then 20 minutes about how exclusive his chocolate was and even a part about how his business costs were broken down.

If you've been following AB's career, willingly or otherwise, you won't be as condescending to 'some posters here'. Bourdain, Samantha Brown, and Andrew Zimmern are part of the 1% elite traveling hosts who grace prime time TV with their respective shows, but AB got ahead with the CNN contract. Thus, Parts Unknown was born and it's very obvious that he's distancing himself from the previous food-oriented program (No Reservations) he was hosting at Travel Channel by introducing the unusual, the unadulterated, the unexplored, while keeping his personal style and identity intact.

And yes, the part about his chocolate business is an offshoot of this new approach although CNN is neither gullible nor gracious enough to give him a free ride marketing-wise, so he had to mention that a big chunk of the profit goes to charity. The unique format of the show called for it. And as Chris (from this episode) puts it, it adds a new flavor profile.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register