Peruvian food that you like the most

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
alonso

Peruvian food that you like the most

Postby alonso » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I am Peruvian studying in the US. I am doing a project for the university about the Peruvian food and if it is possible to develop it in the US at big scale (as the Mexican food for example). For that I wanted to ask you what kind of Peruvian dishes do you like the most.
Your help would be really appreciated

Best,
Alonso

ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian food that you like the most

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Appetizer: sopa de gallina
Main course: lomo saltado with choclo
Dessert: chocotejas
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I think you chose a good topic for your class. Just my opinion or observation but I think mexican food is so popular in the US because many Mexicans have come here and they can cook the foods of their country very well. I find that, after extensive travel in baja and coastal central/southern mexico that the Mexi food I encounter in the US is more tasty, better prepared, and seems to have fresher ingredients.

I find that to be the opposite with Peruvian food. It seems that the food in country is much better, but maybe I just have not been to many good Peruvian resteraunts in the US. Though I have been to at least a few. Also one funny thing dinning out in Peru, I always found a bit funny or quirky was how some places had a huge menu but they didnt have anything they listed so it was always best to ask what they had, that wouldnt go over too well in the US, ok sorry for the sidetrack.

One thing i really liked were the soups, fish soups with rice or veggie soups with a side of yucca or camote. Soup with quinoa, Crema de zapallo. Then of course the fresh fish, ceviche, tacu tacu, etc.

Ok this is making me hungry and I already just ate dinner:-)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Rocotto Rellena and empanadas con carne.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 pm

arroz con pollo.
estofado de pollo.
pollo a la brasa.
lomo saltado.
Peruvian sushi.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 am

My Peruvian wifes a good cook and the dishes that go down well amongst our British friends in the UK are to name a few:

Papa rellena
Aji de gallina
Lomo saltado
papa a la huancaina (that one always sounds rude in the UK!)
pisco sour
Last edited by tomsax on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 am

tomsax wrote:papa a la huancaina (that one always sound a rude in the UK!)

Euh, I don't get it?
Goran James
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Goran James » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 am

I love this one's:

Maindishes:
- Lomo Saltado
- Aji De Gallina
- Pollo a la brasa
- Tacu tacu with meat or chicken
- Jalea mixta
- Chaufa

Starters/appertizers:
- Causa
- Papa a la Huancaina
- Tequenos
- Fried Yuca (Yucitas)
James Djordjevic
Photographer/Content Producer
www.jamesdjordjevic.com
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 am

Market for developing Peruvian food in the US? One of the basic keys to the great Peruvian cuisine is they always they start with seasonal fresh ingredients - can that be done in the USA? Include that in your thesis.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am

chi chi wrote:

Euh, I don't get it?

That's good news for you Chi chi as it means that when you lived in Crawley nobody ever called you a 'huanca' which under a different spelling here is someone who masturbates.
Tom
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 pm

teamoperu said it best. peruvian food is not so stellar in some respects outside of high end Lima stuff. But what makes it special everywhere you go is the freshness of the regional ingredients, and the flavors that you don't find other places. You won't be able to really replicate that in the US. In any case you would have to focus on dishes that don't require limes. i would say cabrito seco but there is no cabrito in the US. I have yet to eat peruvian food outside of peru that was any good, the ingredients just don't work.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

budley wrote:teamoperu said it best. peruvian food is not so stellar in some respects outside of high end Lima stuff. But what makes it special everywhere you go is the freshness of the regional ingredients, and the flavors that you don't find other places. You won't be able to really replicate that in the US. In any case you would have to focus on dishes that don't require limes. i would say cabrito seco but there is no cabrito in the US. I have yet to eat peruvian food outside of peru that was any good, the ingredients just don't work.

Cabrito norteño is one of my favorite dishes here as well as a nice filet of alpaca.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:47 pm

my favorites,
loma saltado
asado con pure
a really well prepared causa
ceviches of all types
seco de res
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 pm

teamoperu wrote:Market for developing Peruvian food in the US? One of the basic keys to the great Peruvian cuisine is they always they start with seasonal fresh ingredients - can that be done in the USA? Include that in your thesis.

You're kidding here, right? In San Francisco alone, there are over 20 Peruvian restaurants, including Gaston Acurio's La Mar. There's even a Peruvian food truck that goes out to fairs, etc. In Los Angeles, there are probably over 100. We not even touching Miami, New York, New Jersey (one of the largest areas of Peruvians living in the US).
I find your comments about seasonal fresh ingredients laughable.

And yes, we do have baby goats here.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:22 pm

calygirl wrote:You're kidding here, right? In San Francisco alone, there are over 20 Peruvian restaurants, including Gaston Acurio's La Mar. There's even a Peruvian food truck that goes out to fairs, etc. In Los Angeles, there are probably over 100. We not even touching Miami, New York, New Jersey (one of the largest areas of Peruvians living in the US).

Owned the "sabelotodo"! :lol:

Much respect to you, madam.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:41 pm

calygirl wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Market for developing Peruvian food in the US? One of the basic keys to the great Peruvian cuisine is they always they start with seasonal fresh ingredients - can that be done in the USA? Include that in your thesis.

You're kidding here, right? In San Francisco alone, there are over 20 Peruvian restaurants, including Gaston Acurio's La Mar. There's even a Peruvian food truck that goes out to fairs, etc. In Los Angeles, there are probably over 100. We not even touching Miami, New York, New Jersey (one of the largest areas of Peruvians living in the US).

i agree with you Calygirl, the best and freshest Peruvian food i've ever had was in Los Angeles. The secret is having fresh ingredients. It is more pricey, but well worth it.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:58 pm

caliguy wrote:
calygirl wrote:

i agree with you Calygirl, the best and freshest Peruvian food i've ever had was in Los Angeles. The secret is having fresh ingredients. It is more pricey, but well worth it.

Just curious. Are you two related? :D
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm

ariel wrote:
caliguy wrote:
calygirl wrote:

Just curious. Are you two related? :D

lol! no, just from the same beautiful state of California :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 am

tomsax wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Euh, I don't get it?

That's good news for you Chi chi as it means that when you lived in Crawley nobody ever called you a 'huanca' which under a different spelling here is someone who masturbates.

Oh, yeah, I get it know. Nobody ever called me that. But I yelled the ''w'' word a few times when someone starts breaking for no apparant reason in front of me on the M25.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 am

calygirl wrote:

No I was not kidding, I was making an honest and hopefully helpful comment. I do find your post odd. I suggested fresh ingredients are key to good Peruvian cuisine, asked if that was possible in the USA, and suggested that (availability of fresh ingredients) be included in the thesis. What is laughable about that? Explain yourself.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 pm

I found your post odd as well, or maybe it was the wording, such as is it possible to get seasonal fresh ingredients in the US to prepare Peruvian food....what types of ingredients are you referring to?

Rocoto Relleno is high on my favorties list, along with crema volteada and picarones.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:15 pm

calygirl wrote:I found your post odd as well, or maybe it was the wording, such as is it possible to get seasonal fresh ingredients in the US to prepare Peruvian food....what types of ingredients are you referring to?

When I lived in Ireland, I always bought imported Peruvian green asparagus at the LIDL and they were fresh.
If you can get them fresh to Ireland, for sure you can get them in de US fresh as well.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 pm

calygirl wrote:I found your post odd as well, or maybe it was the wording, such as is it possible to get seasonal fresh ingredients in the US to prepare Peruvian food....what types of ingredients are you referring to?

Rocoto Relleno is high on my favorties list, along with crema volteada and picarones.

Before blaming my wording, maybe you need to look at your reading. I stated that fresh ingredients are key to good Peruvian cuisine, I [url]asked[/url]about this possibility in the USA (note the question mark) and suggested this consideration be included in the thesis. I ask you again, what exactly is "laughable" about my post?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 pm

A lot of the best produce from peru is exported to other countries so you should be able to expect to find fresh things outside of Peru. What I've not seen at least where I lived in the USA are rocotos nor lucuma.
Last edited by sbaustin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:51 pm

sbaustin wrote:What I've not seen in the USA are rocotos nor lucuma.

The Latino supermarket in Inglewood (LA) has loads of them. Last year when we visited my gf her relatives up there, we prepared rocotto rellena.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 am

Caligirl, seems someone is quick to criticize, but slow to apologize.

I am not interested in a vicious debate and getting shot at for my opinions, but a polite discussion might be nice about "fresh"

Anything exported will not be fresh, methinks. They often pick it early, for example mangos, before full maturity, so it can ripen during transport. Take for example the push in the US to buy local, selling this on the point it helps the local economy but also that it is then "fresh". Exported (with exceptions) is not as fresh as the restaurants here in Peru use from local growers. For example, no self respecting cevicheria will sell ceviche late in the day because it would not be fresh. Even asparagus sent by plane needs time to get to the flight, be loaded and unloaded, sent to warehouse, sent to middlemen, sent to supermarket, sit on shelf etc.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:39 am

Though there are large Peruvian communities in LA, SF and NJ, there is a lack of fresh ingredients, for instance, a main ingredient of most Peruvian food is Aji Amarilla. You can only find that canned in the international section of some supermarket, also frozen choclo kernels (not on the cobb). We drive some distance to find products/produce to duplicate authentic plates but many ingredients have to be substituted for less than fresh ingredients. Some blame falls on the USDA and the permission to allow certain produce. Just recently Avocados (Palta) was allowed in the USA. There is also talk of allowing Chirimoya, which is a sweet fruit with major medicinal properties. Seafood??? fresh flounder (Lenguado) can only be found on the east coast. My wife is very particular about her ingredients, so we try to reproduce the recipes in the USA, to try to bring it close to the flavors of Peru. The other side of the coin GMO/Mosanto produce takes away from the authentic flavor (impossible to find organic Peruvian Produce).
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am

teamoperu wrote:aligirl, seems someone is quick to criticize, but slow to apologize.

I am not interested in a vicious debate and getting shot at for my opinions, but a polite discussion might be nice about "fresh"

Anything exported will not be fresh, methinks. They often pick it early, for example mangos, before full maturity, so it can ripen during transport. Take for example the push in the US to buy local, selling this on the point it helps the local economy but also that it is then "fresh". Exported (with exceptions) is not as fresh as the restaurants here in Peru use from local growers. For example, no self respecting cevicheria will sell ceviche late in the day because it would not be fresh. Even asparagus sent by plane needs time to get to the flight, be loaded and unloaded, sent to warehouse, sent to middlemen, sent to supermarket, sit on shelf etc.

It really depends, technology properly applied can yield a product better than fresh:

- the Japanese developed in the 70s a freezing technology that allows them to retain the fresh flavor
of the fish for a year without any impact in the nutrient composition. Meaning that they have the capacity
to make the best ceviche in the world without going to Peru.

- Israel has developed a sea fish farming technology that allows you to grow fish at competitive prices
inside the cities, without pollution. Chile has been trying for years to get exclusive rights for a project
with the company from Israel. If they get the rights, everybody in South America will say that the best
fish is from Chile, because Peru has already overused its sea resources.

- flash frozen vegetables in the US have more nutrients than the fresh vegetables. You just need to
go to your local supermarket and steam them.

It is obvious that there is some plants that cannot be moved to other countries, but it is only a matter
of time and money before they could be available abroad.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:19 am

teamoperu wrote:Even asparagus sent by plane needs time to get to the flight, be loaded and unloaded, sent to warehouse, sent to middlemen, sent to supermarket, sit on shelf etc.

I notice that when I buy fruit and vegetables in Tarapoto, it looks, smells and is fresher than when I bought fruit and vegetables in Lima.
Almost all fruit and vegetables come from the provinces and it takes days to get to Lima.

Also many small restaurants in Tarapoto have their own chacra so they harvest it in the morning and only a couple of hours later, it's served in their restaurant. No middlemen.
That's why menu's can be sold here for 3.50 and the products that those menu's are prepared with are probably fresher than the one's used at Astrid and Gaston.
gringo from uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringo from uk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 pm

ariel wrote:Appetizer: sopa de gallina

You have a healthy appetite my friend:)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:22 pm

gringo from uk wrote:

Sounds like everyone is eating healthy here.

Nobody mentioned (yet) SALCHIPAPAS as their favourite food. :o
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:38 pm

teamoperu wrote:Caligirl, seems someone is quick to criticize, but slow to apologize.

So, now I'm understanding you better, sorry for the confusion. It appears that you are referring to the "farm-to-table" movement, where restaurants purchase their food from "local" farmers in the area. There are many such establishments in my area because of the abundance of local farmers and growers. But once moving out of the local area, they are not considered farm-to-table due to the overnight shipping of products.

There actually are several restaurants now in Lima selling ceviche at dinner. I believe Rafael on San Martin is one of them, which is a top local restaurant. Maybe someone knows of others.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:14 pm

gringo from uk wrote:

Not at all. I didn't mention anything about quantity, did I? :wink:

Esp. chocotejas. It's like Pringles! Once you pop..

They must have loaded it with weed or something. I mean I always get the munchies after the very first bite. :mrgreen:
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 am

falconagain wrote:
teamoperu wrote:aligirl, seems someone is quick to criticize, but slow to apologize.

It really depends, technology properly applied can yield a product better than fresh:

- the Japanese developed in the 70s a freezing technology that allows them to retain the fresh flavor
of the fish for a year without any impact in the nutrient composition. Meaning that they have the capacity

- Israel has developed a sea fish farming technology that allows you to grow fish at competitive prices
inside the cities, without pollution. Chile has been trying for years to get exclusive rights for a project
with the company from Israel. If they get the rights, everybody in South America will say that the best

- flash frozen vegetables in the US have more nutrients than the fresh vegetables. You just need to

It is obvious that there is some plants that cannot be moved to other countries, but it is only a matter

"flash frozen vegetables in the US have more nutrients than the fresh vegetables. You just need to
go to your local supermarket and steam them."

The vegetable lose their natural enzymes when frozen. Not as fresh as one may think.
FROADS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby FROADS » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Chifa. Peruvian-asian cuisine...

favorite dishes
Limon kay
pollo enrollado
combinado
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:09 pm

One of the most underrated dishes in all of Peru is Arroz Chaufa con cecena (chaufa amazonico). What a combo! There is food fair near Plaza San Miguel every Sunday right on the main highway with a few amazon booths. It's one of my first stops when I come back to Peru.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 pm

tupacperu wrote:
falconagain wrote:It really depends, technology properly applied can yield a product better than fresh:

"flash frozen vegetables in the US have more nutrients than the fresh vegetables. You just need to
The vegetable lose their natural enzymes when frozen. Not as fresh as one may think.

Unfortunately, the supermarket's vegetables are sprayed or soaked with chemicals for the longer shelf life when the frozen once go from the field to frozen process where they are vacuum sealed and enzymes, vitamins technology preserved. Research a little, you would be surprised how nowadays frozen produce is way much better than apparently fresh vegetables on the shelves. Ah, and it doesn't contain chemicals.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 pm

I like Picante a la Tacnena, which is made with soft, very nice MONDONGO :mrgreen:

Eat it with some bread and wine and is heaven on earth... :P
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 pm

I like sandwich de relleno, which reminds me of boudin noir (blood sausage) I ate in my childhood.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

alonso wrote:Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I am Peruvian studying in the US. I am doing a project for the university about the Peruvian food and if it is possible to develop it in the US at big scale (as the Mexican food for example). For that I wanted to ask you what kind of Peruvian dishes do you like the most.
Your help would be really appreciated

Best,
Alonso

Favorites:

Ceviche salpreso (a type of ceviche made with salted fish).
Normal ceviche
Arroz con mariscos
Anticuchos
Chicharrones de pescado
Picarones
Mazamorra morada
Chifa (aeropuerto and 40x40)
Juane

Not so great:

Caldo de cabeza
Chicken feet
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 pm

tupacperu wrote:
falconagain wrote:

And as winter approaches, fresh produce is limited—or expensive—in much of the country, which forces many of us to turn to canned or frozen options. While canned vegetables tend to lose a lot of nutrients during the preservation process (notable exceptions include tomatoes and pumpkin), frozen vegetables may be even more healthful than some of the fresh produce sold in supermarkets, says Gene Lester, Ph.D., a plant physiologist at the USDA Agricultural Research Center in Weslaco, Texas. Why? Fruits and vegetables chosen for freezing tend to be processed at their peak ripeness, a time when—as a general rule—they are most nutrient-packed.

Many that any bag of frozen fresh vegetables will be one thousand times better than any vegetable
that you bought in Peru because it will have all the nutrients and no pollution.

Tupac next time ask an American nutritionist over a chat. Or at least watch PBS when they talk
about Peru.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register