Hidden Racism on the Mirabus?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Hidden Racism on the Mirabus?

Postby Ragnorak20 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been reflecting a lot of whenever or not to make this thread as I am sure that it will cause controversy. However, I decided to go ahead and speak up.

Well, I am a dark skinned person, the other day I was sightseeing on miraflores and I decided to take the Mirabus. This was 5:10 pm so I talked to the woman at the booth and she told me that they were no available seats upstairs, but I could buy one for downstairs I agreed but I asked her if I could buy tickets in advanced for the next tour and she told me I couldn't. Therefore, I just bought the one's they had.

I sat on the lower level bus by myself and I asked the driver if there were any available seats upstairs as the view here was awful. He told me "no, there is only one available right now" this guy outright lied as probably 5 or 7 arrived afterwards and then did go upstairs . There was even girl who told her mother that their seats were here on the lower level but her mother said "No we are going upstairs. The point of coming is going upstairs" All of this just made me angrier, even worst I think I notice a canadian couple who were behind me on the line and they got to go upstairs.

The bus left at 5:40, if some of those people had bought "reserved" seats at the top, then why wasn't I allowed to buy one, for the next tour? Before we left some people arrived and sat in the lower level, mainly students and old people but not tourists.

metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hidden Racism on the Mirabus?

Postby metal moth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 pm

I sincerely doubt it's your skin color.

Are you weight challenged?
Maybe they thought you were too heavy to ride upstairs.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:20 pm

My weight challenged friend and I did the tour, no problem going upstairs.

Rag, I think this is something you should report on their "libro de reclamaciones". Hope your Spanish is sufficient to write about the experience.

I honestly have seen all sorts of people on the Mirabus, and all received the same treatment. It could be one of the employees being a jerk, or not understanding what you were requesting...
Regards,

Argidd
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm

argidd wrote:My weight challenged friend and I did the tour, no problem going upstairs.

Rag, I think this is something you should report on their "libro de reclamaciones". Hope your Spanish is sufficient to write about the experience.

I honestly have seen all sorts of people on the Mirabus, and all received the same treatment. It could be one of the employees being a jerk, or not understanding what you were requesting...

Thanks for the advice argidd. I am not weight challenged, but I am still frustrated as all I wanted was a fair treatment just like any other person. My intention is not to attack the owners of Mirabus or to start up problems.

In addition, I have notice this kind of jerk attitudes from employees at wealthy districts such as Miraflores, San Borja, Surco. In which they seem to hold anger and resentment for the treatment they themselves get.

For instance, once I went to an exclusive club at a beach. Here I used the transportations services so that they could take me from one place to another . However, once I forgot something so I asked the driver to get me back where he picked me off which cause him to become disrespectful. From then on, each time I took that bus he would show a bad attitude towards me. I only went to that beach a couple of times visiting some relatives( I filled my complain to the beach club management. by the way.)

Later I found out that the pituco members of the club used to make this guy drive them around the beach which annoyed him. Apparetly he is not man enough to confront them. However, when someone like me who is not light skinned or blue eyed but dark skinned like him he feels he can unleash his frustrations towards me.

I could go on and on with other negative stuff, but I rather be happy that I'll be leaving lima soon.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I do not find that attitude, perhaps it is the way you come across to them that breeds that reaction without you realizing it.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 pm

In Peru all have a Chinese family, or black, or white, and treated as malicious so considering this, and also for the little substantial objective, more likely I think it is a misunderstanding.

Maybe you have some anxiety problem that has failed to realize consciously. To see to fix that point. Consider everything.

It's happened the odd problem marginalization in Miraflores, caused by young inexperienced clubs I think they put some serious, to which the municipality premises closed them, giving them their due.
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 am

@americancorps
I always try being nice around everyone but I notice this attitude on people who work on wealthy places like receptionists at a wealthy venue. By the way I have also met very nice people in peru especially the taxi drivers with who I had great chats.

@minos
I don't think I have an anxiety problem. I feel that I am overcoming my fears by posting here. I try to be very honest with my experiences in describing what I see and what I live and not to sugarcoat anything or ignore issues that are there. I was initially afraid to post as I thought certain people would not believe me but I rather speak up from now on.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:09 am

customer service here is non existent. I suspect you are just being sensitive much more than you are being targeted.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I have rode the MiraBus with my family many times ( both of us are dark). No Problem ever.

It may be because you did not pay the Gringo Tax (bribe 20% of the ticket) :).

Could be they are holding seats for those who pay the Gringo tax.
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:45 pm

americorps wrote:customer service here is non existent. I suspect you are just being sensitive much more than you are being targeted.

I don't think I was being sensitive. The thing is that I have been quite for too long while I've seen many injustices. Just because I was afraid of someone telling "it's you not them" or other people not believing me. But now I undestand that there will be people who will not agree with me and it should not bother me.
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 pm

tupacperu wrote:I have rode the MiraBus with my family many times ( both of us are dark). No Problem ever.

Who knows, next time I go I will try to pay more.
BellbottomBlues
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby BellbottomBlues » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

please report back on that experience....thanks
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Ragnorak20 wrote:
americorps wrote:customer service here is non existent. I suspect you are just being sensitive much more than you are being targeted.

I don't think I was being sensitive. The thing is that I have been quite for too long while I've seen many injustices. Just because I was afraid of someone telling "it's you not them" or other people not believing me. But now I undestand that there will be people who will not agree with me and it should not bother me.

I know you think that, I do not agree with you. I do not think your preception was correct. I do not think you are being dishonest by any stretch, I just think your preception saw soemthing and attributed a cuase that was not really the case.
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:32 pm

americorps wrote:
Ragnorak20 wrote:

I know you think that, I do not agree with you. I do not think your preception was correct. I do not think you are being dishonest by any stretch, I just think your preception saw soemthing and attributed a cuase that was not really the case.

Great, I just want people to now that I wouldn't make stuff up. Notice that I put a "?" on the title meaning that there could have been other reasons as to why this happen. One of my theories is that I went by myself and this generated distrust as almost everyone I saw went in groups of two or three.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:14 pm

although i have never experienced it, i dont doubt there is some racism in Peru. However not the amount you imagine.

btw, did you use "disculpe" this time? :wink:
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Hitoruna wrote:although i have never experienced it, i dont doubt there is some racism in Peru. However not the amount you imagine.

btw, did you use "disculpe" this time? :wink:

It is not the type of racism that motives hate crimes but people lack political correctness. And yes I did use "disculpe" and it actually worked out, thank's.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 am

argidd wrote:My weight challenged friend and I did the tour, no problem going upstairs.

When I said weight challenged, I meant the morbidly obese.
The kind that need two seats when seating, the kind that need to be strapped into a harness and need a lift to step up into a bus.

These people could be a liability to the company.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 am

Ragnorak20 wrote:
tupacperu wrote:I have rode the MiraBus with my family many times ( both of us are dark). No Problem ever.

I thought you were leaving Lima soon?
Ragnorak20
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Ragnorak20 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am

metal moth wrote:
Ragnorak20 wrote:

I thought you were leaving Lima soon?

Yes but in early/mid august, I still have a bit of time.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register