Problems Leaving Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
lonewolf

Problems Leaving Peru

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Brief Summary:
Live in US / UK Passport / Girlfriend in Lima
Was there last March, when leaving and passport was swiped, computer showed a “problem with passport”.
Went with police guy (In suit) to small room where they photocopied my passport etc., they signed a few forms and told me to go ahead.
Went back for 10 days @ 2 weeks ago. Same thing happened entering and leaving Peru. There was no questioning at all. They did say on entering and leaving on this trip that there was no problem. Now I got frustrated leaving this time and asked to please explain to me what the problem was, but they kinda ignored me plus their English was little to none. I don’t speak Spanish. The guy did fill my name in to a small book with lots of other names.
It’s very frustrating and don’t really feel like travelling back as it is very uncomfortable.
May be as I am traveling alone on a few occasions I raise suspicion on myself, but they could at least tell me what the problem is.
I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences or some insight.
Thanks

richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Problems Leaving Peru

Postby richiecry » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Contact the British consulate or embassy closest to you. It could have something to do with either missing or incomplete data...OR...could have something to do with the passport itself (might have nothing to do with you).
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't know of this situation coming to Peru or in Peru, but here are some thoughts on situations I've heard of from Peruvians in other countries:

1) Is it possible your Passport/Green card (whatever documentation you have) at any point in your life was stolen (anywhere in the world?). This could put you on some kind of list if someone using your Passport commited a felony or is wanted by the interpol, or even if you reported it stolen.
2) If you have a common name or.... maybe a not peculiar one where other people could have a similar name? A friend of mine has a name sake (name, middle name and 2 surnames, all the same) in another country, this other woman is a criminal. Everytime my friend goes into the criminal's country of origin, she is stopped, questioned and finger printed.

It is a shame that they didn't even have the decency to explain what was wrong; but as in many other places, they are monolingual...
Regards,

Argidd
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Yeah,

My passport was lost in states 2-3 years ago, in between my March and previous visit. Reported etc. and received a new passport. I was thinking this may have something to do with it.

I'll check the consulate.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Really appreciate that.

Thanks
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:11 am

Problems are products like any other products and faults can happen during the production process.

The electronic passport reader might have been unable to read your passport as there might have been a problem with the machine readable strip in your passport.

Just go to the embassy of your country and tell them to issue a new passport. As it's a production fault they should do that free of charge.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 am

Meanwhile, don't watch any episodes of Locked up Abroad before your next trip. :twisted:
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks

I've been watching it a lot recently.

Worrying!!!!!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:31 am

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Meanwhile, don't watch any episodes of Locked up Abroad before your next trip. :twisted:

I agree and disagree. Watching that show could increase the nervousness factor while also putting any silly ideas out of ones head. Years and years ago, when I first started traveling internationally, I used to watch the film 'Midnight Express' before leaving the states. On one trip to Mexico, my blonde haired Aussie traveling companion and I were offered a significant sum of money to take a boat ride across the Sea of Cortez on a cigarette boat loaded with Pepsi, as the traffickers figured having a well dressed gringo couple on board would deter any interest from the Navy. Did I mention it was a significant sum? Seemed easy enough, couple hours on a boat ride, and would have funded our travel for at least a few years. But I thought back to 'Midnight Express' and realized that no matter how easy or tantalizing the offer sounded - it was best to say thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

I think they should rename 'Locked up Abroad' ' People Making One Bad Decision After Another'. There are some gems in that series. There was a thread here about a Brit who got caught up in someone else's bad decision and wound up having a terrible time with the Peruvian legal system.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:40 pm

This is what you have been talking about ...

A beautiful irish woman has been caught at the Jorge Chavez Airport trying to take to Europe 11 kilos of cocaine.. She is just 20 years old and her travel partner another british woman is just 19 years old..

http://www.elpopular.pe/actualidad-y-policiales/2013-08-10-lima-irlandesa-es-detenida-con-11-kg-de-cocaina

It is sad news, specially for the parents, family and friends of both females.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:11 am

windsportinperu wrote:This is what you have been talking about ...

A beautiful irish woman has been caught at the Jorge Chavez Airport trying to take to Europe 11 kilos of cocaine.. She is just 20 years old and her travel partner another british woman is just 19 years old..

http://www.elpopular.pe/actualidad-y-policiales/2013-08-10-lima-irlandesa-es-detenida-con-11-kg-de-cocaina

It is sad news, specially for the parents, family and friends of both females.

Here's the story as reported in a British newspaper.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... ested-peru
Perhaps Midnight Express should be made compulsory viewing on all flights.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register