Tahini and yellow lemons

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby amylimena » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I just made some super good hummus from the tahini and lemons that I finally found in Lima! The tahini is in a jar and the lemons are just like from back home...not those weird yellow/green hybrids you sometimes see. I got the tahini in the gluten-free section of Wong and the lemons in Vivanda near the fruit in packages (strawberries, etc). :)


argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby argidd » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am

Amy, I was thinking of making some hummus but had no idea where to find the tahini! Thanks for info!!!
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby panman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 pm

argidd wrote:Amy, I was thinking of making some hummus but had no idea where to find the tahini! Thanks for info!!!

Likewise, I've been making Hummus sin Tahini. Very tasty but now I have the final ingredient.
Thanks.
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby sbaustin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for letting us know, I've been looking forward to seeing tahini here for quite some time.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 am
Location: Lima, PE
Contact:

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Did you know you can make it? It is just olive oil and seasame seeds (I think lemon too) ground up. I made some, it looks wierd but tastes good. Check the internet for a good receipe. Good to know I can get the "normal" kind in Wong though.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby argidd » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:19 pm

I went to Wong yesterday, I saw where they had the tahini "pasta de ajonjolí", it was 24 soles, but I didn't find any! I guess I should have gone earlier. Hopefully they have more in stock next week!
Regards,

Argidd
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:37 am

koplinfamilia wrote:Did you know you can make it? It is just olive oil and seasame seeds (I think lemon too) ground up. I made some, it looks wierd but tastes good. Check the internet for a good receipe. Good to know I can get the "normal" kind in Wong though.


Yup, tahini is very easy to make as is humus. There are these big bags of sesame seeds in the wholefood section in Wong. I didn't notice them at first and was buying these really expensive tiny bags at first. Anyway I'd never tried making humus or tahini until I came to Lima. I found myself missing the weird beige stuff. You can even make the tahini as you make the humus, it's that simple. Apart from waiting for the chickpeas to boil - tinned anything here is so expensive - it's a really quick and easy thing to make. And to think I just used to buy it in M&S for 80p a tub.

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dipsand ... recipe.htm
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby argidd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
koplinfamilia wrote:Did you know you can make it? It is just olive oil and seasame seeds (I think lemon too) ground up. I made some, it looks wierd but tastes good. Check the internet for a good receipe. Good to know I can get the "normal" kind in Wong though.


Yup, tahini is very easy to make as is humus. There are these big bags of sesame seeds in the wholefood section in Wong. I didn't notice them at first and was buying these really expensive tiny bags at first. Anyway I'd never tried making humus or tahini until I came to Lima. I found myself missing the weird beige stuff. You can even make the tahini as you make the humus, it's that simple. Apart from waiting for the chickpeas to boil - tinned anything here is so expensive - it's a really quick and easy thing to make. And to think I just used to buy it in M&S for 80p a tub.

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dipsand ... recipe.htm


Thanks! I went back to Wong and found the Tahini, it was 24 soles for a jar... I did not feel it was worth it... so I'll be making it myself :)
Regards,

Argidd
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Sometimes a little bit of powdered cumin is nice, but I was thinking of trying it with some rocoto. I once added one of those sachets that come with takeaway pizza out of curiosity and it was a little different, but nice. So I'm thinking of trying fresh rocoto, but I'm a little worried that it will overpower the flavour. If I feel brave and add it to the next batch I make, I'll let you know how it goes.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby argidd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Sometimes a little bit of powdered cumin is nice, but I was thinking of trying it with some rocoto. I once added one of those sachets that come with takeaway pizza out of curiosity and it was a little different, but nice. So I'm thinking of trying fresh rocoto, but I'm a little worried that it will overpower the flavour. If I feel brave and add it to the next batch I make, I'll let you know how it goes.


Sergio!
I did make the hummus and I did add cumin, it was delicious, I added only a tad. I added paprika and some cayenne pepper. It was really nice.

Sunday we were at a restaurant and happend to see a "hummus pizza", so tonight we will make a hummus pizza (Tuesday is our -homemade- pizza night), it will have aubergine, zucchini and hummus :) We use the pita bread from Wong (the one made in their bakery), so with hummus it will also go well.
Regards,

Argidd
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Tahini and yellow lemons

Postby argidd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:28 pm

*Update*

If you don't want to buy the big tahini jar from Wong, I found Tahini at the Bioferia (Farmer's Market) at the Ayni stand. Not sure if they are in the Saturday Bioferia, but they are in the Sunday one. They are in the middle looking toward the Mercado.
Regards,

Argidd

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register