FROM RUSSIA - WITH LOVE?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

FROM RUSSIA - WITH LOVE?

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:57 am

Recently I ran an ad in "Jobs in Peru" forum; seeking SALES REPS - COFFEE...
I have to date received eleven (11) replies; I was "surprised" to see where they came from:

1. Eight were from people that are Peruvians or their spouse is Peruvian; to be expected.
2. One was from Spain; a Peruvian that can't find work there (as per Chi Chi's post of the economy).
3. One was from Brazil; same situation as above
4. One was from RUSSIA!!! (obviously a scam to secure money)

"Mr. Philip, you are certain (sic) a successful business man & my partners & me (should be I) need a partner in Peru to invest our $10,000,000 USD; you will be compensate (should be - ed) 30% of the profits..."

First of all, why would anyone offer a person they don't even know an opportunity to receive 30% of the profits of a $10 million investment? This is a SCAM!!! They want to get your interest & then surprisingly something happens to one of the partners & the deal will "evaporate"; unless you send money to rectify.

Of course, I didn't reply; but the full header showed the email was sent from the Ukraine/Russia!!!

Don't ever underestimate how many people read expatperu; such a large/worldwide audience!

Philip :roll:
PS - be careful, if there is any indication that you have a bit of $$$; someone will try to scam you.

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FROM RUSSIA - WITH LOVE?

Postby sbaustin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:58 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Don't ever underestimate how many people read expatperu; such a large/worldwide audience!

It isn't that expatperu has a wide audience but it is a computer program that traverses the internet looking for
people who publicly post their email address.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FROM RUSSIA - WITH LOVE?

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am

Sbaustin,

So you are saying it was the inclusion of my email & not the offer of a SALES REP. position that caused this?
The Internet is such a powerful tool; but as with any invention - it can be used for unethical purposes.

Thanks for your posting & knowledge of Peru,
Philip :roll:

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register