Other South Americans Dislike Peruvians?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
lumansu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Other South Americans Dislike Peruvians?

Postby lumansu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Why do people from other South American countries especially dislike Peruvians?? ...more than other country

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Other South Americans Dislike Peruvians?

Postby chi chi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm

I often heard Peruvians saying that Chileans don't like them.

But when I was in Chile, I never heard a Chilean saying something bad about Peruvians.

I often heard Peruvians saying bad things about Colombians.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

lumansu wrote:Why do people from other South American countries especially dislike Peruvians?? ...more than other country

less visible today, Ecuadorians (of course generalizing) dislike Peruvians for historical reasons (wars in the 40s where Peru took over 50% of their territory (mostly Loreto) and the short war in the late 90s.

I witnessed that in Argentina many ignorant locals consider Peruvians as "untermenschen" because many are involved in drugs and black market; just stereotypes
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:46 am

Bobby wrote:
lumansu wrote:Why do people from other South American countries especially dislike Peruvians?? ...more than other country

less visible today, Ecuadorians (of course generalizing) dislike Peruvians for historical reasons (wars in the 40s where Peru took over 50% of their territory (mostly Loreto) and the short war in the late 90s.

I witnessed that in Argentina many ignorant locals consider Peruvians as "untermenschen" because many are involved in drugs and black market; just stereotypes

Dude, learn your history. Loreto was never part of Ecuador, if anything Guayaquil was part of Peru originally.
And we peruvians were idiot enough (the only country in the world) to win a war and lose territory. Usually victors win land but since we believe in "peace and love" we even gave Ecuatorians some land to make them quiet which they didnt.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 am

Hitoruna wrote:
Dude, learn your history. Loreto was never part of Ecuador

Thank you my History is doing quite well!
Check any historical map of the first half of the 20th century before/after the Ecuador/Peru war and you will see that a great portion of actual Loreto was claimed by Ecuador. Guayaquil was "lost" by Peru in th 19th century and is not a "dislike" cause if we refer to the OP
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 am

When I was in Chile, some Chileans made the comment that now since so many Peruvians are in STG, the city has crime and is dirtier. I argued with one of these people (which is a friend) but that is indeed what I heard.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 am

richiecry wrote:When I was in Chile, some Chileans made the comment that now since so many Peruvians are in STG, the city has crime and is dirtier. I argued with one of these people (which is a friend) but that is indeed what I heard.

Richiecry, I have been to Santiago over 8 times, and the one time I went to Downtown and passed by the "Peruvian" area (they have shops, locutorios, etc.), I saw a different side of Santiago; significant difference, dirty streets, disorganization, and general nasty habits; as a Peruvian, I could very well differentiate the accent between the Chileans and the Peruvians, and it was very sad to see that your friend, and the stereotype is mainly correct.

I believe Peruvians "hate" Chileans for historic reasons, but Chileans "hate" Peruvians because they have taken their dirtiness and dirty habits to Chile; and I honestly don't blame them.

Wouldn't you be upset if a group of people came to your town/city and made it dirty, grubby and dangerous? It reminds me of when my husband (British) complains about gipsies in the UK.
Regards,

Argidd
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 am

Football has a lot to answer for. Simple answer really.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

Bobby wrote:

Hey Bobby
To get a Little back into the subject, I think it is a matter of interpretation, the problem was that Ecuadorians claimed Loreto was theirs, but it really wasn't. If you see old school text books, they show as part of Loreto as theirs, BUT that was their interpretation. Never did Peru invade their territory and take Loreto from them. The little buggers actually wanted to take it from Peru! Kind of what Chile did in the 1800's; but I guess they were more aggressive and better trained.
Regards,

Argidd
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Football has a lot to answer for. Simple answer really.

I think the problems in football (I mean, the fighting there is) is because of all these issues. Usually the Chileans will yell "rotos, cholos, etc." And Ecuadorians will yell "gallinas"; it has to do with the historic events in relation to those countries.
Regards,

Argidd
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm

In my experience a lot of Peruvians dislike or even hate Chileans. They are still seen as "the enemy" by many.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 pm

I am lucky to be from Belgium. Nobody hates us. Simply because nobody knows where Belgium is.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:43 pm

chi chi wrote:I am lucky to be from Belgium. Nobody hates us. Simply because nobody knows where Belgium is.

Hahaha very true!
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:13 pm

I know where it is, strange people :mrgreen:
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:03 pm

chi chi wrote:I am lucky to be from Belgium. Nobody hates us. Simply because nobody knows where Belgium is.

Tell the French about the "Belgium" (bad) jokes! :wink: I lived sometime in Brussels and really liked it. Belgium is a peculiar country if we relate it to the OP topic where inside a same country communities dislike one another....
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Folks.. I deleted some comments that were off-topic. Thanks for your understanding.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:28 pm

KenBE wrote:In my experience a lot of Peruvians dislike or even hate Chileans. They are still seen as "the enemy" by many.

I know many americans who hate the frenchs, and U.S.A. did not have a war against France.
It is starnge.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Bobby wrote:
Hitoruna wrote:
Dude, learn your history. Loreto was never part of Ecuador

Thank you my History is doing quite well!
Check any historical map of the first half of the 20th century before/after the Ecuador/Peru war and you will see that a great portion of actual Loreto was claimed by Ecuador. Guayaquil was "lost" by Peru in th 19th century and is not a "dislike" cause if we refer to the OP

Maynas, Jaen and Tumbes were given to the Gran Colombia by Simon Bolivar when He ruled Peru as a dictator since 1824. Guayaquil was separated from Peru before that time. When la gran colombia claimed Tumbes , Maynas and Jaen during the 30s of the 19th century and was negotiating those territories between them before the partition of la gran colombia ( Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and Panama or el gran Darien ), Peruvians claimed those territories as ours and invaded Guayaquil and blocked with his navy fleet the pacific ports of Ecuador , Colombia and Panama. Finally Peruvian army lost a battle inside la gran colombia territory ( The Tarqui battle ) and both parties signed a peace pact where they recognized Guayaquil as part of La Gran Colombia territory and Tumbes , Jaen and Maynas as peruvian territories.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Many Colombians hate venezuelans and visceversa, many uruguayans hate argentineans, many argentineans hate chileans, many paraguayans hate bolivians,many ecuadorians hate colombians and colombians hate nicaraguans etc., etc, etc,
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Alan wrote:Folks.. I deleted some comments that were off-topic. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi again..

Could we please stay on track with this particular topic? Much appreciated.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register