Favorite Coffee Place

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Favorite Coffee Place

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Do you have a favorite coffee place? A place you might meet a friend for coffee and conversation? Or just stop by yourself for a cuppa and to read? A place that maybe even has a decent cup of coffee?


ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Juan Valdez Café, for the quality of the coffee. One cup and I'm energized for hours. Kind of a generic atmosphere being that it's located in a mall but I never fail to get a cup if I'm passing by.

Café Valenzuela, also for the quality if their coffee. The atmosphere is okay. A local tradition for 50 years.

Café Cusco. Weaker coffee. More international customers and travelers. Nice atmosphere. Good if you're looking for conversation.

Café connection. Run by an NGO that brews a nice Café Tunki, nice atmosphere, good mix of customers.

Restaurant Manolo. Good strong cup. Good for people watching on the pedestrian only street location in Arequipa. For some reason there are two Manolos sandwiching a third restaurant in the middle.
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Locations??
Ah ha! you got me, didn't ya, IronChef Chris? Just as I was getting all excited thinking I was going to go out to discover these new cafes I didn't know about in Lima, I realized you are in Arequipa, aren't you?
Loving Living in Lima
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes, I'm currently in Arequipa. I know Manolo has at least one Lima location on Av. Larco in Miraflores. Juan Valdez seems to favor malls. Their store locator shows six Lima locations. One in Larcomar, JockeyPlaza, and downtown. Two farther North in Independencia and one out East between Ate and Chaclacayo. The others I mentioned you should check out on a visit to Arequipa.

There's always Starbucks though I'm not a fan of how they over-roast their beans. Note to ChiChi - Starbucks has updated their password for "free Internet." It's now 'Espresso2014.'
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby caliguy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 pm

if i want a good cup of coffee without going far, i just stay home :D other than that, i like http://www.cafebisetti.com/ in Barranco. also http://cafeverdeperu.com/en/index.php has good coffee. they both do their own roasting in-house. on the run, i'll go to Mcdees of DD.
i enjoy coffee for its taste and aroma.
Last edited by caliguy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 11:46 am

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 pm

The main Juan Valdez Cafés in Lima are at Centro Civico, Plaza Norte, Mega Plaza, Jockey Plaza (outside the external entrance to Ripley´s on the 2nd floor) and Larco Mars. Also in Callao and Santa Anita. Like many of the chains they use the paper cups, but the coffee is extremely pleasant and the staff reasonably well trained for consistancy. They have four other shops in different cities in Perú

Following up on Caliguy´s post, Cafe Verde is good, but their standard in house brew is quite strong and I sometimes think it is not for everyone. The staff are also properly trained as Baristas and includes a former Barista champion of Perú. Several staff members speak reasonable English.

Unfortunately, I have not made it to Café Bisetti, but I have heard and read good reports about it including from a Barista who works at another café.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1515
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: "Miraflores State of Mind"

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm

For people watching I like "La favorita" Cafe Cortado,Pisco Puro and a sandwich.
For Peace and quiet "El Virrey" cafe americano ( nice large cup) and a Cappuccino ice cream. It is really a laritza D that roasts there own coffee and makes their own Gelati. get a table looking over the Ovalo Bolegnesi.
Meeting friends it was always Cafe Z, but now we must frequent Delicass, ok coffee and a good empanada.
nieves
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby nieves » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Arabica at General Recavarren (2 blocks from Pardo). Excellent espresso.
They should have other cafes at Larcomar and Barranco but I have never been to these places.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:54 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby Bobby » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Cafe Havanna (at Miguel Dasso and Larcomar) has nice coffee and it's even better with a chocolate alfajor...
NickCasper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby NickCasper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 am

Manolo in Miraflores. It's the best. Oh, get a churro too.
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby caliguy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:33 pm

edgeclinger wrote: A place that maybe even has a decent cup of coffee?

in Barranco: La Espiga de Oro, 901 Av. Almte. Miguel Grau. no sign on the outside though. it's on the corner with Av. Saenz Peña. you might want to try their "Relampago de Caramelo" too. coffee was 4.50 soles as was the pastry.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Café Plaza in Tarapoto is known as one of the best coffee places in Peru. Their Irish coffee is art. They also serve delicious pastries and empanadas. Their homemade icecream is the best.

They also have the most beautifull waitresses. It's very popular with the local expatcommunity.
The view from Café Plaza is breathtaking. Waving palmtrees in the city of eternal summer.


http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm

All this post six o'clock coffee talk is frustrating as it's making me want to brew some up. I drink enough in the morning and afternoon so that anything after six will screw my sleep pattern.
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby caliguy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 pm

ironchefchris wrote:All this post six o'clock coffee talk is frustrating as it's making me want to brew some up. I drink enough in the morning and afternoon so that anything after six will screw my sleep pattern.

lol! that is exactly my problem/pattern. real coffee guy here. just made some coffee for my brother-in-law and myself tonight after 8:00. :shock: hey ironchefchris, have you heard of "Zena" coffee? google it, it is one of the oldest coffees of Peru, and is quite good :)
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:21 pm

I've seen Zena in the market. I'll have to give it a try. I'm pretty hooked on the local Café Valenzuela. Very tasty, always freshly roasted, and only S/. 9 for a 250 gm bag. I guess I could do the decaf thing at night, but there's something almost sacreligious to me about decaf. It's just not right. I drink tea at night.
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby caliguy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I've seen Zena in the market. I'll have to give it a try. I'm pretty hooked on the local Café Valenzuela. Very tasty, always freshly roasted, and only S/. 9 for a 250 gm bag. I guess I could do the decaf thing at night, but there's something almost sacreligious to me about decaf. It's just not right. I drink tea at night.

i've never tried the Cafe Valenzuela, but sounds interesting. is that available at the super mercados? @ 9 soles per 250 gr. bag, that makes it one of the lowest priced coffees on the market.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Not sure about Lima, but it's in a few supermarkets here in Arequipa at a higher price then offered at their cafes. That's for the export grade. The sugar added grade is even cheaper though I haven't tried it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 am

chi chi wrote:Café Plaza in Tarapoto is known as one of the best coffee places in Peru. Their Irish coffee is art. They also serve delicious pastries and empanadas. Their homemade icecream is the best.

They also have the most beautifull waitresses. It's very popular with the local expatcommunity.
The view from Café Plaza is breathtaking. Waving palmtrees in the city of eternal summer.


http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS


Too funny. The link you provided doesn't rate it as highly, certainly not as the "best coffee place in Peru". Only 66% even recommend it, several with bad experiences there.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:07 pm

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:Café Plaza in Tarapoto is known as one of the best coffee places in Peru. Their Irish coffee is art. They also serve delicious pastries and empanadas. Their homemade icecream is the best.

They also have the most beautifull waitresses. It's very popular with the local expatcommunity.
The view from Café Plaza is breathtaking. Waving palmtrees in the city of eternal summer.


http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS


Too funny. The link you provided doesn't rate it as highly, certainly not as the "best coffee place in Peru". Only 66% even recommend it, several with bad experiences there.


Most people found the food, drinks and the place excellent. The bad comments are mainly about the slow service. I am agree, the service was slow but I noticed that in the last few weeks the service has improved.

Often, there were only 5 customers, 7 employees and I had to wait half an hour before I got my cup of tea.
I noticed that till 2 weeks ago, only one girl was working behind the bar. The waitresses enter the customers orders into a computer, the girl behind the bar receives them. She's responsable to give the order of hot food and juices to the kitchen, but she has to serve icecream, make all tea and coffee and she's also responsable for processing the bills and taking the payments. Too much work for 1 person. Since recently, 2 girls work behind the bar and the service got quicker.
I personally didn't get bothered with the slow service as I just go their and use their free WI-FI for a few hours and to enjoy the view of the Plaza. Often friends of mine walk in and we have a chat. I love that place.

Of course, if you expect a 'Gaston y Astrid' style of food and service then you don't have to head for Café Plaza. I recommend that you got to ''El Rincón Sureño de Las Parillades'' instead. (still it won't cost you an arm and a leg either)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:17 am

Cafe Valenzuela Export Grade.jpeg
Cafe Valenzuela Export Grade.jpeg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby teamoperu » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:Café Plaza in Tarapoto is known as one of the best coffee places in Peru. Their Irish coffee is art. They also serve delicious pastries and empanadas. Their homemade icecream is the best.

They also have the most beautifull waitresses. It's very popular with the local expatcommunity.
The view from Café Plaza is breathtaking. Waving palmtrees in the city of eternal summer.


http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS


Too funny. The link you provided doesn't rate it as highly, certainly not as the "best coffee place in Peru". Only 66% even recommend it, several with bad experiences there.


Most people found the food, drinks and the place excellent. The bad comments are mainly about the slow service. I am agree, the service was slow but I noticed that in the last few weeks the service has improved.

Often, there were only 5 customers, 7 employees and I had to wait half an hour before I got my cup of tea.
I noticed that till 2 weeks ago, only one girl was working behind the bar. The waitresses enter the customers orders into a computer, the girl behind the bar receives them. She's responsable to give the order of hot food and juices to the kitchen, but she has to serve icecream, make all tea and coffee and she's also responsable for processing the bills and taking the payments. Too much work for 1 person. Since recently, 2 girls work behind the bar and the service got quicker.
I personally didn't get bothered with the slow service as I just go their and use their free WI-FI for a few hours and to enjoy the view of the Plaza. Often friends of mine walk in and we have a chat. I love that place.

Of course, if you expect a 'Gaston y Astrid' style of food and service then you don't have to head for Café Plaza. I recommend that you got to ''El Rincón Sureño de Las Parillades'' instead. (still it won't cost you an arm and a leg either)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS


7 employees? Is that a typo? Or is this place really that big and popular to need so many employees?
User avatar
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3063
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby alan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 am

teamoperu wrote:
7 employees? Is that a typo? Or is this place really that big and popular to need so many employees?


I don´t think it is a typo; the place isn´t small. There are a couple of waiters, people serving up the ice cream and a cashier. We went a couple months ago, and I remember having a pretty decent cup of coffee there, sitting at a window seat and marvelling at the number of motorbikes parked around the Plaza de Armas. It´s a pretty cool little spot.

I got a kick from another coffee shop that I saw in Tarrapoto. It was called "Starbarts Cafue" , complete with a rip-off of the green Starbucks sign. Very clever! (in the jungle, many people pronounce Cafe as "Cafue").
User avatar
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Calca, Cuzco

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby emanaku » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm

I got a kick from another coffee shop that I saw in Tarrapoto. It was called "Starbarts Cafue" , complete with a rip-off of the green Starbucks sign. Very clever! (in the jungle, many people pronounce Cafe as "Cafue").

I like these "remakes" and "remixes" ;-)
Unfortunately Starbucks will sooner or later sue them and win.

That happened with a coffee place "Inkabucks" at the plaza in front of the main ruin of Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. They were perfect with an Inka face instead of Starbucks mermaid ... then I was not there for quite a while, and when I made a photo later from some distance I saw that they changed their name to "Inka Café" - later the owner still showed his beautiful Inkabucks cups to everybody asking him ...
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby teamoperu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:27 am

chi chi wrote:Café Plaza in Tarapoto is known as one of the best coffee places in Peru. Their Irish coffee is art. They also serve delicious pastries and empanadas. Their homemade icecream is the best.

They also have the most beautifull waitresses. It's very popular with the local expatcommunity.
The view from Café Plaza is breathtaking. Waving palmtrees in the city of eternal summer.


http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS


Well, I am going to respectfully disagree. It has potential. It doesn't live up to its potential. Small, tables crowded together, but mostly the open windows are a couple of metres from the constant noisy traffic passing by. The mototaxis are banned from the plaza, but still lots of pollution spewing into the cafe. The coffee is OK, but what brand mixes well with vehicle fumes?

The view is misrepresented: it is not “The view from Café Plaza is breathtaking. Waving palm trees in the city of eternal summer.”, it is of a busy paved street corner in the foreground with the decrepit concrete plaza with the central monument in disrepair in the background, the view is of parked motos ringing the plaza, hundreds of them. The only “breathtaking” thing about it is catching your breath after passing vehicles, but only when your eyes stop watering from the pollution. Anyone with respiratory problems, or a preference quiet tranquillity and for clean air, would be well advised to give a pass on this café. Here is a pic of the “breathtaking view”! And sorry, it is not “known as one of the best coffee places in Peru”, it is hardly known at all.

(Minor factoid: Taramoto is not known as the “city of eternal summer”, that slogan is oddly being co-opted from the northern beaches (Zorritos) who rightfully use it.)
Attachments
P1050676-001.JPG
P1050676-001.JPG (127.78 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
P1050672-001.JPG
P1050672-001.JPG (132.22 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
P1050675-002.JPG
P1050675-002.JPG (54.39 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
mattigol
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby mattigol » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:19 am

Cafe Verde in Miraflores has some of the best coffee in the country. I would recommend it over any other LIma metro coffee house.
User avatar
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3063
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby alan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:05 pm

mattigol wrote:Cafe Verde in Miraflores has some of the best coffee in the country. I would recommend it over any other LIma metro coffee house.



Flavor and presentation. And the aroma of roasting coffee beans is an added bonus. As for parking.. well, that´s another story.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby chi chi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Alan wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
7 employees? Is that a typo? Or is this place really that big and popular to need so many employees?


I don´t think it is a typo; the place isn´t small. There are a couple of waiters, people serving up the ice cream and a cashier. We went a couple months ago, and I remember having a pretty decent cup of coffee there, sitting at a window seat and marvelling at the number of motorbikes parked around the Plaza de Armas. It´s a pretty cool little spot.

I got a kick from another coffee shop that I saw in Tarrapoto. It was called "Starbarts Cafue" , complete with a rip-off of the green Starbucks sign. Very clever! (in the jungle, many people pronounce Cafe as "Cafue").


There also a hamburger joint in Tarapoto called ''McDonaghs''. An it has a sign that features the yellow McDonalds sign.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Favorite Coffee Place

Postby tupacperu » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

A small quaint Cafe west of Benavides on Larco..(Across from the Western Union and Serpost) , forgot the name... We use to eat breakfast there religiously. We had a favorite waiter (Manuel - College student) who took good care of us (Good Tips). It was a regular cafe with 1st class service due to how we treated the waiter (good tips). When he was off of work the other waiters stepped up service. I miss the place


found it Chef Cafe:

https://foursquare.com/v/chefs-caf%C3%A9/4b742a5af964a520c8ca2de3/photos

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register