prices

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

prices

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Ok i've just got into Manchester today and i'm stopping overnight and straight away it just amazes me how you can eat cheaply in England compared to Peru, and good quality food as well. Just a few of the prices i've seen while i've been back and take into consideration that the minimum wage here is at least $1500 a month also these prices are from the very center of Manchester around Piccadilly train station.

pub meal of the day which was chicken and chips with a free pint of beer! £2.99 = $5 = 14 soles

Burger stall: Cheese burger £2= $3.40 = 9 soles
Hot dog £1 = $1.68 = 4.70 soles

Cafe: Breakfast sandwich of bacon and egg with coffee £2 = $3.40 = 9 soles
Subway: 6 inch sub of the day plus coke £3 = $5 = 14 soles (not sure what the price is for a subway in Miraflores but it's about the same price i think)
Greggs (a northern institution!): steak bake/chicken bake £1.15 = $2 = 5.5 soles (steak bakes are more than double the size of an empanada in Lima.
Tescos sandwich, prawn for example £1.70 = $2.80 = 8 soles
Tescos meal deals, sandwich + drink + snack £3 = $5 = 14 soles

Foot long french baquette sandwich with seafood filling £2 = $3.40 = 9 soles

The main difference is the quality of the food you get here compared to that in Lima. You get pies and sandwiches with actual proper fillings of steak and seafood instead of the teaspoon of a filling you will find in a empanada in Lima. You can go to the la menu restaurants for 8 or 9 soles sure but all you will get is rice and potatos!

This is what really p***es me off! why is there just no cheap options when it comes to food in Lima! seriously i got fed and a pint of beer for $5.

I'm not having a go at Lima here, i'm just trying to highlight how in my eyes Peruvians just get ripped off every single day! and it's not fair and it makes my blood boil at times! just remember when you read thru these prices to compare average incomes for both cities as well!

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: prices

Postby chi chi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:10 pm

The food options you mentioned are junk food.

You can eat even cheaper (and healthier) in the UK if you shop at the Aldi or LIDL and prepare your own meals at home.

Peruvians aren't getting ripped off. They pay the real price of food.

In Europe, food prices are kept artificially low because farmers are getting subsidies from the government.
There won't be any farmers left in Europe if they don't get subsidies.

Food is cheaper in the UK.

But houseprices are another story. You have to fork 100000 quid if you want to live in a shed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 0-000.html

Shed on the outskirts of Lima: 200 soles
Shed on the beach in the UK: 1000000 UK pounds
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:33 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Ok i've just got into Manchester today and i'm stopping overnight and straight away it just amazes me how you can eat cheaply in England compared to Peru, and good quality food as well. Just a few of the prices i've seen while i've been back and take into consideration that the minimum wage here is at least $1500 a month also these prices are from the very center of Manchester around Piccadilly train station.

pub meal of the day which was chicken and chips with a free pint of beer! £2.99 = $5 = 14 soles

Subway: 6 inch sub of the day plus coke £3 = $5 = 14 soles (not sure what the price is for a subway in Miraflores but it's about the same price i think)
Greggs (a northern institution!): steak bake/chicken bake £1.15 = $2 = 5.5 soles (steak bakes are more than double the size of an empanada in Lima.

The main difference is the quality of the food you get here compared to that in Lima. You get pies and sandwiches with actual proper fillings of steak and seafood instead of the teaspoon of a filling you will find in a empanada in Lima. You can go to the la menu restaurants for 8 or 9 soles sure but all you will get is rice and potatos!

This is what really p***es me off! why is there just no cheap options when it comes to food in Lima! seriously i got fed and a pint of beer for $5.

I'm not having a go at Lima here, i'm just trying to highlight how in my eyes Peruvians just get ripped off every single day! and it's not fair and it makes my blood boil at times! just remember when you read thru these prices to compare average incomes for both cities as well!

What you have in Europe is true competition and this is why the prices and quality are higher. When I was in Spain groceries and clothing were a lot cheaper than in Lima and of better quality. Eating out was more expensive or about equal depending upon what kind of restaurant you ate in.

If you look at Peru you have two major grocery chains Wong and Vivanda with their low price off shoots Metro and Plaza Vea and two department store chains Saga and Ripley so it is very easy to fix prices. Totus which is owned by Saga is a distant third and there are some other minor players. There is lax government enforcement of any anti-trust laws if they even exist so thus you have the inflated prices. I do buy big ticket items here but only in January or July when there are big sales I bought two nice leather couches here this last January and I thought the price was fair. I of course buy food and eat out but clothes and most other major items I buy in the US and bring the stuff back. Most of the Peruvians who have Visas to the US do the same.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:35 pm

DC_20833 wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:Ok i've just got into Manchester today and i'm stopping overnight and straight away it just amazes me how you can eat cheaply in England compared to Peru, and good quality food as well. Just a few of the prices i've seen while i've been back and take into consideration that the minimum wage here is at least $1500 a month also these prices are from the very center of Manchester around Piccadilly train station.

What you have in Europe is true competition and this is why the prices and quality are higher. When I was in Spain groceries and clothing were a lot cheaper than in Lima and of better quality. Eating out was more expensive or about equal depending upon what kind of restaurant you ate in. I just checked the price of Farm Raised Salmon (I have given up on Wild Salmon it doesn`t exist here) at Vivanda it was 52 soles per Kilo and it was a very low quality. Publix in Boca Raton had it for $6 a pound and Wild Salmon for $13 per pound both were of excellent quality. When you do the math Vivanda was charging $8.41 per pound. Farm raised Salmon comes from Chile so the shipping is a lot cheaper to Peru and I can guarantee you that Publix has higher overhead just look at the wages alone, never mind taxes.

If you look at Peru you have two major grocery chains Wong and Vivanda with their low price off shoots Metro and Plaza Vea and two department store chains Saga and Ripley so it is very easy to fix prices. Totus which is owned by Saga is a distant third and there are some other minor players in the Grocery business. There is lax government enforcement of any anti-trust laws if they even exist so thus you have the inflated prices. I do buy big ticket items here but only in January or July when there are big sales I bought two nice leather couches here this last January and I thought the price was fair. I of course buy food and eat out but clothes and most other major items I buy in the US and bring the stuff back. Most of the Peruvians who have Visas to the US do the same. One year I took a cruise from Miami to Chile which stopped in Lima and there were 5 Peruvian couples who had rented a inside cabin and literally stuffed the thing with all sorts of electronics, and other consumer goods. When the ship got to Callao they had a truck waiting rather extreme but there were two huge TV Sets in the Cabin that alone paid for the cabin. This shows you the length that some Peruvians will go to get Democratic Prices.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Yeah most of it is but it's still better quality food than most of the cheap options in Lima. You can buy food that has plenty of meat and vegetables in it, instead of the 90% rice based dishes in Lima. I'm sick of the stupidly high carb diets in Peru which are not healthy or good for you and probably worse for you than junk food.

A pub meal for £3 which had a free beer where can you get that in the modern areas of lima! On my way back to the hotel i seen other options for pub grub (not fast food) for around 4 to 6 quid. The best options was a 3 course meal for £6 and buy one get one free meals also for £6.

To eat a decent well prepared meal in Lima you have to pay at least a minimum of 27 soles i would say. Therr is some places that you can find good food for 20 soles but not many.

It gets even cheaper here when you go to the supermarkets as well, sandwiches £1.50 to £3 with plenty of salad and meat or seafood in. Jamacian crusty pastries for 80p, 2 pasties for £1.50. Sandwich shops for a foot long baquette for £2 that you can have filled with prawn, crab and shrimp filling.

Jim is totally right in what he says about the supermarkets, there is no competition, they have a monopoly and the customer comes off worst.

You shouldn't be coming to Europe and find it cheaper than Peru, it's like i have won the lottery here because of how much stuff i can buy for my money and that is just wrong when you have come from Lima.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:15 pm

DC_20833 wrote:If you look at Peru you have two major grocery chains Wong and Vivanda with their low price off shoots Metro and Plaza Vea and two department store chains Saga and Ripley so it is very easy to fix prices.

DC_20833 wrote:I just checked the price of Farm Raised Salmon (I have given up on Wild Salmon it doesn`t exist here) at Vivanda it was 52 soles per Kilo and it was a very low quality.

That's why 99.99% op Peruvians shop at their local mercado. Food at the mercado is fresher and much cheaper.

Jim, you are complaining that the food prices are too high for you so why don't you shop at the mercado.
The mercado in Magdalena, Unicachi in Villa El Salvador are great markets. At Minka in Callao, there's a great market selling food at wholesale prices. There are a lot of marketstalls selling fresh seafood.

Everybody knows that Vivanda is a ripp off. That's why they are located in tourist áreas. In tourist áreas, they can get away with overcharging people because the tourists don't know the real prices in Peru.
Besides, Vivanda buys all it's fruit, vegetables, meat and fish at the mercados in Villa El Salvador, Callao and Ate Vitarte.

But food prices depend of where you live. Obviously fruit and vegetables are more expensive in Lima because of the transportation costs. Here in Tarapoto, it's far cheaper because it all grows here.
There are food ítems that I even get for free. Mangos, platanos, strawberries, grapes, coconuts, patatoes, lemons and star fruit grow in my garden.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 am

chi chi wrote:Everybody knows that Vivanda is a ripp off. That's why they are located in tourist áreas. In tourist áreas, they can get away with overcharging people because the tourists don't know the real prices in Peru.
Besides, Vivanda buys all it's fruit, vegetables, meat and fish at the mercados in Villa El Salvador, Callao and Ate Vitarte.

But food prices depend of where you live. Obviously fruit and vegetables are more expensive in Lima because of the transportation costs. Here in Tarapoto, it's far cheaper because it all grows here.
There are food ítems that I even get for free. Mangos, platanos, strawberries, grapes, coconuts, patatoes, lemons and star fruit grow in my garden.

I agree with you the Mercados are cheaper. However, you pretty much have to get up early and be there by 9 a.m. which sometimes works for me and then I will go. I have yet to see Salmon in the Mercados here so that has to be bought in Supermarket. You also have to watch the quality in the Mercados some not all stalls will have their scales rigged in their favor. That is easy though I carry a .5 kilo weight with me and test the scale. If they tell me I can't do that I just go to another stall. I actually go to Mercado Central when I make my monthly visit to China Town and I deal with certain stalls on a regular basis where you they are honest (but I still verify) and you get to know the people and they will sometimes give you a little extra I believe they call that "yappa."

If you are looking for a lot of seafood you head to Villia Maria which is where the sellers in the Market go but the fish is uncut so you have to calculate that into the price. Most of the people selling there want to sell like 10 or more fish at a time or the price is very near what you pay in a Market. The savings is real for instance Shrimp the 10 to 1 pound kind without the head is 30 soles per kilo compared to 65 at the Supermarket and they are smaller in the Supermarket. There is one person in Mercado who sells export grade Shrimp which is larger and the color is a lot nicer and when you cook it is a lot more tender and has a better color that sells for 40 soles per kilo and sells for around 75 soles per kilo at the Supermarket.

I make a Seafood Soup and they will sell basically the scraps from the fish they cut when they make fillets so you get a nice mix plus they will toss in a very small shrimp usually a handful per kilo toss it up you buy that for 8 soles per kilo. It is also great for Civiche.

So yes for Chi Chi you are right about the prices in the Mercado vs the Supermarkets especially on Meat and Fish. Vegetables and Fruit are cheaper too but not that much cheaper but what I will do is when I make my fish and meat runs I will also buy Vegetables and Fruit but I do the Meat and Fish runs only twice a month so I have to visit Vivanda twice per month for Fruits and Veggies. Then you have paper goods, cleaning supplies, and so fourth which they do sell in the Mercados but not the better brands. I once bought toilet paper in a Mercado and you had to use twice as much to keep it from falling apart and it felt like coarse Sandpaper. I will take my Charmin smooth to the touch if you know what I mean.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:... it just amazes me how you can eat cheaply in England compared to Peru, and good quality food as well.

In England..?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu May 01, 2014 1:38 pm

DC_20833 wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote: When I was in Spain groceries and clothing were a lot cheaper than in Lima and of better quality.

Sorry, but thats BS ...again!

I can only shake my head when I see posts like this :roll:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu May 01, 2014 3:28 pm

DC_20833 wrote:That is easy though I carry a .5 kilo weight with me and test the scale.

now that's what i call frugal shopping :lol: i wouldn't think about trying to prove a poor old lady wrong on a few cents
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

DC_20833 wrote:I agree with you the Mercados are cheaper. However, you pretty much have to get up early and be there by 9 a.m.

I always go to the mercado in the afternoon.

DC_20833 wrote: I have yet to see Salmon in the Mercados here so that has to be bought in Supermarket.

I bought salmon at the Mercado in Minka, Callao and at Unicachi in Villa El Salvador. The supermarkets also buy their salmon there.

DC_20833 wrote:Vegetables and Fruit are cheaper too but not that much cheaper.

If you can and dare to haggle then you pay far less at the mercados.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Guiri wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:... it just amazes me how you can eat cheaply in England compared to Peru, and good quality food as well.

I worked in restaurants in England. Just don't peek into the kitchen as your appetite will be gone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crust.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... weeks.html
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Guiri wrote:

when i say good quality i'm basically meaning it has a good balance of ingredients. I'm sorry but to most Peruvians a 90% rice dish is basically thought as being a good balanced nutritional diet!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Guiri wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote: When I was in Spain groceries and clothing were a lot cheaper than in Lima and of better quality.

Sorry, but thats BS ...again!

I can only shake my head when I see posts like this :roll:

Sorry not Spain, i meant England. All the sports goods like Adidas and Nike is generally more expensive in Lima. Most of the Ripley and Saga clothing is of very poor standard and definatly overpriced, the only other option is the expensive clothing aimed at the polo set!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a 75% sale in Lima before. You'll be lucky if you see 20% in my opinion.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri May 02, 2014 2:33 am

SilverbackPeru wrote: All the sports goods like Adidas and Nike is generally more expensive in Lima. Most of the Ripley and Saga clothing is of very poor standard and definatly overpriced

I only wear Caterpillar clothing and shoes.
Adidas tracksuit bottoms and Nike shoes are worn by tinkers. (knackers)
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon May 05, 2014 1:24 pm

I know i keep going on about prices but it is really winding me up at the price of living in Peru. Today i was in the supermarket and from the grill section the following cost
one roasted chicken £3 = s/.14 (s/.10 in Plaza Vea but lets keep in account the general monthly income)
Roasted Turkey leg £3
4x smoked texas style chicken wings £1.39
one gammon shank £3.25
pigs in blankets (sausage wrapped in bacon) 40p per sausage
piece of 5 ribs of pork £2
Giant piece of roast pork with crackling £6
steak pie 80p
Giant italian bread loaf £1

Self service area
box of Pasta plus any topping from the buffet £1.39 small £2.50 medium £4 large
Rice dishes or salad boxes for the same price
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:I know i keep going on about prices but it is really winding me up at the price of living in Peru. Today i was in the supermarket and from the grill section the following cost
one roasted chicken £3 = s/.14 (s/.10 in Plaza Vea but lets keep in account the general monthly income)
Roasted Turkey leg £3
4x smoked texas style chicken wings £1.39
one gammon shank £3.25
pigs in blankets (sausage wrapped in bacon) 40p per sausage
piece of 5 ribs of pork £2
Giant piece of roast pork with crackling £6
steak pie 80p
Giant italian bread loaf £1

Self service area
box of Pasta plus any topping from the buffet £1.39 small £2.50 medium £4 large
Rice dishes or salad boxes for the same price

I don't know where abouts you are in the UK but you mentioned Manchester in an earlier post, a city that i'm more than familiar with
Check out propery rentals. 2 bed flat in Salford 500 quid per month. Council tax 150 pounds per month, that 650 just to live without utility bills, leaving you 390 to live off per month.
That's of course if you are eligible to the full 6.50 per hour, as the minimum wage will be in October this year, and work 40 hours per week.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon May 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah that leaves you with around £100 ($168)to spend on food a week or what ever else you need. For the poorest income in the country that isn't too bad and you can get by on that. I'm currently living off £5 to £7 for food per day and i'm not cooking but eating out.

What is the general average income in Lima per month?? I'm on $500 (£296)a month which i think is about average or at least middle class income and everything costs the around the same price in the supermarkets and also for clothes and furniture. I definatly don't think that the average Peruvian family is left with anything near the same ratio of income after their rent (ok there is literaly no income tax to pay here).

What does $500 in Lima actually buy you a month? It's not that much i think.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Yeah that leaves you with around £100 ($168)to spend on food a week or what ever else you need. For the poorest income in the country that isn't too bad and you can get by on that. I'm currently living off £5 to £7 for food per day and i'm not cooking but eating out.

What is the general average income in Lima per month?? I'm on $500 (£296)a month which i think is about average or at least middle class income and everything costs the around the same price in the supermarkets and also for clothes and furniture. I definatly don't think that the average Peruvian family is left with anything near the same ratio of income after their rent (ok there is literaly no income tax to pay here).

What does $500 in Lima actually buy you a month? It's not that much i think.

You can't compare Manchester with Lima. Lima is the capital so you you should compare it with London. If you are on the mínimum wage, then you will take home around a grand a month. I will be tough to live of that in Londen.

panman wrote:I don't know where abouts you are in the UK but you mentioned Manchester in an earlier post, a city that i'm more than familiar with
Check out propery rentals. 2 bed flat in Salford 500 quid per month. Council tax 150 pounds per month, that 650 just to live without utility bills, leaving you 390 to live off per month.
That's of course if you are eligible to the full 6.50 per hour, as the minimum wage will be in October this year, and work 40 hours per week.

500 quid for a 2 bed flat, that must be a hole on a rough council estate!

That's why so many people are better off living on the dole.
If you are unemploymed, you get unemployment benefit, housing benefit and council tax benefit.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 pm

chi chi wrote:
500 quid for a 2 bed flat, that must be a hole on a rough council estate!

That's why so many people are better off living on the dole.
If you are unemploymed, you get unemployment benefit, housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Claiming benefit in England, especially if you're English, isn't quite as easy nowadays as you make it out to be in Belgium.
With regards to the rental property I quoted, it was in Salford. Not quite San Isidro but far nicer than Calleo.
If you want to rent in up market areas around Manchester, Didsbury for instance, then you'll pay in excess of 2000 pounds per month for a 2 bed flat. Not within the minimum wage budget, and you wont get assistance with the rent.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue May 06, 2014 5:06 am

I don't think that is true ChiChi that you would compare Lima to London. For starters London is one of the few global cities that is classed as a mega city. There is only New York, Tokyo, Moscow and beijing that could maybe be included in that list, and i'm not even sure that L.A, Paris,Berlin, Sao PAolo or Mexico City would make it into the list.

Yes usually the capital city is the most expensive to live generally but 90% of Lima is shanty towns(i was quoted this by someone who runs tours of the shanty towns) so not only can you not compare it to London i would say it's unfair to even compare it to Manchester.

Let's be honest Lima does not have the infrastucture of Manchester like a inner city tramline, train and bus service, public parks, sports facilities, libraries and major connecting international airport. Yes Manchester is a bit of a dump but it's still a lot better than Lima and things generally cost the same price for food in shops and supermarkets. The average income in Manchester is also around £38'000 ($65'000) a year, in the poorer areas it's around £22'000. I'm still not sure exactly what the average income for Lima is, i've been told $250 to $350 a month before.

Other things that don't help with Lima is you have to pay for health care and education as both national services are very poor, this adds to the cost of living here. My brother in law pays over $1400 for his 4 kids education.

Nothing seems to devalue EVER here when it is second hand! Try buying a second hand car in Lima and see the prices you get told for a 20 year old rust bucket! Fridges,cookers etc never go down that much when someone is trying to sell it and they make it sound like a huge bargin when they knock 100 soles off the original price despite it being 2 years old.

You go to places like Sodimax for flat pack home furniture or office furniture and Saga for bedding, decorations and clothes, same story everything is roughly the same price yet the overheads in Peru will be much lower. Which brings up the point mentioned by Jim in a previous post about lack of competition rules or maybe everyone has to put the price up because of rental prices.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Tue May 06, 2014 12:18 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:I don't think that is true ChiChi that you would compare Lima to London. For starters London is one of the few global cities that is classed as a mega city. There is only New York, Tokyo, Moscow and beijing that could maybe be included in that list, and i'm not even sure that L.A, Paris,Berlin, Sao PAolo or Mexico City would make it into the list.
I think he is not so far off ...Lima might have not the same "flair" as London, NY or Tokio, but sure has its prices, shanty neighborhoods and social problems....thats comparable .
SilverbackPeru wrote: I'm still not sure exactly what the average income for Lima is, i've been told $250 to $350 a month before.
Its about 1490 soles a month...cant find the source, but the number is from last year.
SilverbackPeru wrote:Other things that don't help with Lima is you have to pay for health care and education as both national services are very poor, this adds to the cost of living here. My brother in law pays over $1400 for his 4 kids education.
well...thats like in Spain nowadays.
SilverbackPeru wrote:Nothing seems to devalue EVER here when it is second hand! Try buying a second hand car in Lima and see the prices you get told for a 20 year old rust bucket!
Thats not really a bad thing is it?
SilverbackPeru wrote:You go to places like Sodimax for flat pack home furniture or office furniture and Saga for bedding,

We are only 7 months here but we never bought a thing there besides cable and screws....the two shops mentioned are overpriced, badly managed and a nightmare to find anything good...that we already learned :D .
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 06, 2014 5:33 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:I don't think that is true ChiChi that you would compare Lima to London. For starters London is one of the few global cities that is classed as a mega city.

Yes usually the capital city is the most expensive to live generally but 90% of Lima is shanty towns(i was quoted this by someone who runs tours of the shanty towns) so not only can you not compare it to London i would say it's unfair to even compare it to Manchester.

Let's be honest Lima does not have the infrastucture of Manchester like a inner city tramline, train and bus service, public parks, sports facilities, libraries and major connecting international airport. Yes Manchester is a bit of a dump but it's still a lot better than Lima and things generally cost the same price for food in shops and supermarkets. The average income in Manchester is also around £38'000 ($65'000) a year, in the poorer areas it's around £22'000.

If the UK goverment wouldn't provide social housing and provide homeless shelters and give housing benefit then London will be full of shantytowns as well. There are indeed a lot of people in London and Manchester that make big money and that pushes up the average income.
But there's a lot of poverty in London and Manchester. And the huge influx of Eastern European immigrants has don't any good to the average income either because most of them are on the mínimum wage or wellfare benefits.
Since that Bulgaria and Romania joined the EU, a lot of poor people will come to the UK to live of wellfare benefits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -road.html

Sure, life in Manchester and London is better than in Lima but that's because the UK government looks after its resident and the Peruvian government doesn't.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue May 06, 2014 6:29 pm

The second hand prices are good if you are selling something but it makes buying getting a bargin when out buying something a lot more difficult obviously if you are on a budget. I just saw a sofa on sale at the chairty shop for £10 this morning which would be nice for someone who has a low income.

They are clamping down on the benefits Chi Chi but it's generally still pretty easy to get hold of. Even as a homeless tramp you will receive around £300 in benefits a month which is around the same as the average income in Lima. As i say prices compared to the UK compared to general income means Lima is not cheap.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 06, 2014 6:58 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote: I'm currently living off £5 to £7 for food per day and i'm not cooking but eating out.

Have a look in the kitchen of those cheap eateries after eating your meal and you'll be sitting on your knees in front of the jacks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crust.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-off.html

081012uk2.jpg
081012uk2.jpg (83.13 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue May 06, 2014 9:47 pm

you know the UK does have health inspectors that check up on restaurants and take aways and when ever i've needed money quickly for holidays i've done my time in pubs and take aways for a second job and i've never came across anything like this.

Sure there might be the odd restaurant but come on, it's called competition! that's why prices are low. You want a kebab or a pizza.....do you go the place that sells it for $8 or the place that sells it for $12, unless of course the $12 pizza is pretty amazing you go the $8.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 pm

That is the difference Chi Chi, London does provide social security and social housing for those in need. The benefit system payout is above the average income in Lima yet the supermarkets depending on your area cost the same prices. How is that fair value for Peruvians who bring in $350 a month?

Lets not forget you get drinkable water and a flushing toilet system in London as well and an electrical power supply that doesn't send out electricity in surges meaning you have to buy adaptors to prevent your electrical goods being fried.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 06, 2014 10:15 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:That is the difference Chi Chi, London does provide social security and social housing for those in need. The benefit system payout is above the average income in Lima yet the supermarkets depending on your area cost the same prices. How is that fair value for Peruvians who bring in $350 a month?

Lets not forget you get drinkable water and a flushing toilet system in London as well and an electrical power supply that doesn't send out electricity in surges meaning you have to buy adaptors to prevent your electrical goods being fried.

Silverback, do you think of coming back to Peru? You seem to enjoy life in the UK more than in Peru.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed May 07, 2014 5:27 am

I always loved where i'm from and thought i was lucky to have been born there. My wife is down there because of work and i do like Lima but there is one or 2 things that boil my blood, prices being one of them. It shouldn't be taken that i'm knocking Peru, i'm not, i'm knocking the prices. I'm loving the fact of how much i can buy for my money, who wouldn't. I'm loving the fact that i can go and buy cheap food and actually find meat and vegetables in it. I'm loving that i don't have to worry about strapped for cash or the quality of something that i'm buying as well.

Why should the average Peruvian have to pay these stupid western prices in places like supermarkets, department stores and furniture store chains. They are on a lot less money and life there isn't the easiest. Most work 6 days a week and long hours to then be robbed blind by these stupid prices which should be a lot less! how is that fair to anyone in Lima?

The prices aren't inline with average income, but why? Is there a giant inport tax on goods coming into Peru? is it lack of competition? surely the overheads must be lower as the staff won't be getting a high wage?

I would love to see the arrival of a new department store or supermarket in Peru that would really give these stuck up over charging companies a good kick up the arse and make them work to earn their customer loyality. Surely that could only be a good thing for the average Peruvian???
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 07, 2014 5:48 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Why should the average Peruvian have to pay these stupid western prices in places like supermarkets, department stores and furniture store chains. They are on a lot less money and life there isn't the easiest. Most work 6 days a week and long hours to then be robbed blind by these stupid prices which should be a lot less! how is that fair to anyone in Lima?

The prices aren't inline with average income, but why? Is there a giant inport tax on goods coming into Peru? is it lack of competition? surely the overheads must be lower as the staff won't be getting a high wage?

That's why Peru is a third world country. Prices in African countries are even more expensive than in Peru and people are even on far less money than in Peru.
There's a huge gap between the rich and the poor in Peru and that's because the rich own the businesses. They exploit their employees. The employees get low wages and are ripped off if they buy something.

The other facts is that there's a lack of strong unions. If the wages don't go up in line with inflation then in France or in Belgium, there will be massive strikes. Roads will be blocked, airports will be closed.

SilverbackPeru wrote:I would love to see the arrival of a new department store or supermarket in Peru that would really give these stuck up over charging companies a good kick up the arse and make them work to earn their customer loyality.

You are right. In Peru, we need ALDI, LIDL and ...RYANAIR :evil: :evil: :evil:

Can you imagine flying from Tarapoto to Lima from only 1 quid? 8)
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed May 07, 2014 9:44 am

chi chi wrote:You are right. In Peru, we need ALDI, LIDL and ...

Decathlon...its hard(expensive) to get decent sportswear here :?
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 08, 2014 6:50 am

yeah i've noticed that with sports wear. There is actually very little in the sports shops as well. You don't get variety like proper sports clothing to more street/urban sports clothing to retro sports clothing. The amount of sports equipment is usually limited to tennis and football (tennis for the rich, football for the poor).

I went to a premier league game for £10 last night, gigantic hotdog for £2 and 6hrs parking for £2. Top flight football for next to nothing, brilliant! You always forget about how big western potions of food are as well!

It's all about competition which doesn't seem to happen in Peru as everything is owned by the same people. On the radio they were talking about the big global chemical company take over that is happening in the UK by an American rival. Both companies are the largest in the world and the arguement was if this is left to happen there will be just one giant company dominating most of the worlds pharmaceutical industry and that this would be bad as competition leads to cheaper prices (take note of that wong, vivanda, plaza vea etc!)

My wife use to work in banking here before she left and she just told me if the banks needed some extra income they would just all agree to add some new customer charge that would raise a couple of billion for them, where is the competition in that!

ChiChi is right as well, there's no rules to keep these companies in line at all and the unions have no power either!

You have to have the store credit card to get any decent sale price and even then you will never see a 50% or 75% sale in Peru.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 12:11 pm

A sportswear store offering upto 90% off recommended prices, like Sports Direct in the UK would be great.
http://www.sportsdirect.com
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm

I don't get too excited about the benefits of competition anywhere. In the US there is no real competition when it comes to media. A few giant corporations own the majority of media outlets and the cost of entry is so high as to be prohibitive for new competitors. Same with the oil/gas companies, auto manufacturers, phone companies, etc. You get your choice of The Coca Cola company or PepsiCo and whatever flavors they offer. The smaller companies aren't large enough to affect the market.

To me a 50 - 75% sale tells me the goods were overpriced in the first place. It's mostly psychological. Double the price and have a half-off sale. People think they are getting a bargain when it's just retailers manipulating the minds of the consumers.

I think the price thing balances out. There are things both more expensive and vastly cheaper in Peru. In general I find anything imported is more expensive and services are much cheaper. There's plenty of cheap, street/casual type food here but it's not always to my liking. I don't do beef hearts or organ meats. I'll take a larger, tastier, slightly cheaper NY pizza any day over what I've had here. Mmmm... NY pizza.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
To me a 50 - 75% sale tells me the goods were overpriced in the first place. It's mostly psychological. Double the price and have a half-off sale. People think they are getting a bargain when it's just retailers manipulating the minds of the consumers.

I agree with your thoughts on overpricing/marketing, but think that should be obvious to most people with more than half an ounce of common sense :) Forgetting the hype though of places like Sports direct that I mentioned above, you have to look at what you actually getting and paying for at the check-out.
Peruvians are getting rippd off for a lot of what they buy, but I have seen things improve over the 7 years I've been here.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 2:36 pm

There's a reason in the states why gasoline is priced the way it is with the price ending in 9/10'ths of a penny. If it's priced at $2.999 people will round down .009 and not up .001 and say they paid $2.99, not the closer and more accurate $3.00. They'll also be happy that the price hasn't crossed the $3 threshold even though it is only $.001 away from being $3 per gallon. New cars are priced at $29,999, not $30,000 because psychologically if you spend even $1 over 30k it's different than spending even $1 less than 30k. Houses are listed at $499,900 and not $500,000. When you're < $30k car needs a new paint job this guy Earl Schieb will paint it (and any) car for just $99.99! It's interesting because this is all done in the open. Common sense would say to price the gallon of gas at $3, the car at $30,000, the paint job at $100 and the house at half a million, but the prices are set the way they are so as not to cross psychological thresholds. Most people are aware of the way goods are priced and how most items on sale are first marked up before going on sale but we can't resist the thought of 50% off!, gas under $3 per gallon or buying a car for less than 30k. As smart as we are, we're very easy to manipulate.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 2:55 pm

ironchefchris wrote:There's a reason in the states why gasoline is priced the way it is with the price ending in 9/10'ths of a penny. If it's priced at $2.999 people will round down .009 and not up .001 and say they paid $2.99, not the closer and more accurate $3.00. They'll also be happy that the price hasn't crossed the $3 threshold even though it is only $.001 away from being $3 per gallon. New cars are priced at $29,999, not $30,000 because psychologically if you spend even $1 over 30k it's different than spending even $1 less than 30k. Houses are listed at $499,900 and not $500,000. When you're < $30k car needs a new paint job this guy Earl Schieb will paint it (and any) car for just $99.99! It's interesting because this is all done in the open. Common sense would say to price the gallon of gas at $3, the car at $30,000, the paint job at $100 and the house at half a million, but the prices are set the way they are so as not to cross psychological thresholds. Most people are aware of the way goods are priced and how most items on sale are first marked up before going on sale but we can't resist the thought of 50% off!, gas under $3 per gallon or buying a car for less than 30k. As smart as we are, we're very easy to manipulate.

I have a friend back home who's a very well known actor, and he's an absolute sucker for 2x1 type offers. I said to him once, if s**t was being sold for 5 pounds per bucket rather than 10, he'd buy 4 buckets thinking that he'd saved 20 quid.
The good thing about this though, was that it had it's good points. He was very generous with people he knew so, he would always share his s**t with friends.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm

It's good to share.

One thing I notice is that ofertas more often take the form of 3x2 instead of 33% off.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 3:40 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I think the price thing balances out. There are things both more expensive and vastly cheaper in Peru. In general I find anything imported is more expensive and services are much cheaper. There's plenty of cheap, street/casual type food here but it's not always to my liking. I don't do beef hearts or organ meats. I'll take a larger, tastier, slightly cheaper NY pizza any day over what I've had here. Mmmm... NY pizza.

Obviously. In France you can buy a nice bottle of wine for 5 euros. In Peru, you will pay more for the same bottle because ships need fuel, sailors and truckdrivers their salary has to be paid and the goverment :evil: want it's piece of the cake too.

In Peru, you have to shop smart. You have to haggle. Don't shop at supermarkets but go to mercados. You can easily negotiate a couple of soles of your daily groceries. It might not seem a lot on a daily basis but adds up. 5 soles a day = 150 a month = 1825 a year

Buy your clothes at the end of the season. Stores like Ripley and Saga have 3X1 offers on T-shirts and shorts.
Buy white goods, TV's, etc. around the festive days like Mothers day, Christmas, Independence day, etc. and bargains can be done. But even then haggle. And be tough when haggling. Stand your ground.

Buy in bulk at the mayoristas. Buying 1 roll of toilet paper at a time at your local tienda is far more expensive than buying a pack of 25 rolls at a mayorista.

Not only where you buy is important. What time you buy things too.
I was used to buy fresh orange juice at Tottus. I bought it around 9PM for 1.99 soles. Before 9PM, they sold it for 7.99 soles a bottle.
Bread is cheaper around closing time. Just reheat it the next day in your oven and it's like freshly baked but you saved 75%.

Eating out is always expensive. Even if it doesn't look expensive. Cook at home and you'll feel the difference in you pocket from day one. And in you stomach too. A 5 soles menú seems cheap but you get rice and patatoes worth less than 1 sol.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 3:44 pm

chi chi wrote:What time you buy things too.
I was used to buy fresh orange juice at Tottus. I bought it around 9PM for 1.99 soles. Before 9PM, they sold it for 7.99 soles a bottle.
Bread is cheaper around closing time. Just reheat it the next day in your oven and it's like freshly baked but you saved 75%.

ol.

I take it that you say "used to" because it doesn't happen now?
I go to the Totus you're probably talking about, and have never seen such offers.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 4:16 pm

panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:What time you buy things too.

ol.

I take it that you say "used to" because it doesn't happen now?
I go to the Totus you're probably talking about, and have never seen such offers.

When I was in Lima, I have used those offers.

But you have to go around closing time. The juice they sell is made fresh everyday, so by closing time they have to get ridd of it. So, they sell it very cheaply for a few soles to avoid that they have to throw it away and make no money at all on it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu May 08, 2014 4:28 pm

ironchefchris wrote:It's good to share.

One thing I notice is that ofertas more often take the form of 3x2 instead of 33% off.

I've noticed that as well. Good ofertas definitely appear occasionally, but often you have to bulk buy, or buy three for two. It's handy for things that are much more expensive than back home, like shaving creams, deodorants, etc, but for things like fruit and veg it can be useless unless it's non perishable, or you're feeding a family of 12.

Going to the point about fake discounts, I've noticed that on Ripley's red days, most things are the same price as they were the week before, but with a fake higher price added. However, some of their internet and ahora or nunca offers are not too bad and have genuine discounts. I think the trick there is they catch people who pay with their Ripley card and make a profit on those who then pay in quotas.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu May 08, 2014 4:43 pm

ironchefchris wrote:There's a reason in the states why gasoline is priced the way it is with the price ending in 9/10'ths of a penny. If it's priced at $2.999 people will round down .009 and not up .001 and say they paid $2.99, not the closer and more accurate $3.00. They'll also be happy that the price hasn't crossed the $3 threshold even though it is only $.001 away from being $3 per gallon. New cars are priced at $29,999, not $30,000 because psychologically if you spend even $1 over 30k it's different than spending even $1 less than 30k. Houses are listed at $499,900 and not $500,000. When you're < $30k car needs a new paint job this guy Earl Schieb will paint it (and any) car for just $99.99! It's interesting because this is all done in the open. Common sense would say to price the gallon of gas at $3, the car at $30,000, the paint job at $100 and the house at half a million, but the prices are set the way they are so as not to cross psychological thresholds. Most people are aware of the way goods are priced and how most items on sale are first marked up before going on sale but we can't resist the thought of 50% off!, gas under $3 per gallon or buying a car for less than 30k. As smart as we are, we're very easy to manipulate.

that's a great way of putting it. i learned this way of pricing years ago. i bought my house in 1997 for 250k. it didn't seem like much until i realised it was a quarter of a million dollars :shock:
all of the imported products are obviously going to be more expensive due to shipping and taxes, and some due to refrigerated containers.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu May 08, 2014 5:46 pm

caliguy wrote:

that's a great way of putting it. i learned this way of pricing years ago. i bought my house in 1997 for 250k. it didn't seem like much until i realised it was a quarter of a million dollars :shock:
all of the imported products are obviously going to be more expensive due to shipping and taxes, and some due to refrigerated containers.

Very true, but I've also heard that, in the days before CCTV, it was used to prevent employee theft. For smaller items, pricing something at 99 cents or 1.99, etc, meant that customers would be expecting a penny change and a receipt, so the the cashier has no choice but to open the cash register and register a sale. If the customer wasn't expecting any change and couldn't be bothered waiting for a receipt, then it was very easy just to pocket the money. Apart from missing stock, which could be put down to shop lifting, nobody would be any the wiser.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
caliguy wrote:

Very true, but I've also heard that, in the days before CCTV, it was used to prevent employee theft. For smaller items, pricing something at 99 cents or 1.99, etc, meant that customers would be expecting a penny change and a receipt, so the the cashier has no choice but to open the cash register and register a sale. If the customer wasn't expecting any change and couldn't be bothered waiting for a receipt, then it was very easy just to pocket the money. Apart from missing stock, which could be put down to shop lifting, nobody would be any the wiser.

Interesting. Makes perfect sense.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 08, 2014 8:18 pm

The big sales of 50% to 75% are usually at the end of season. Take clothes for example, i've done some good savings here while back because the stores are trying to ditch the last of the winter seasons clothing as summer is coming. It's not that the product is maybe that over priced but just that they want shot of it is all. Who's going to buy a winter jacket after all in summer or vice versa summer garden seating for the patio at the start of winter.

Things i've noticed today are the price of flat pack furniture, bedding and canvas wall hangings all around the same price here as to that in Peru.

Because of the economy the charity shops are making a killing as well. I've seen plenty of good HIGH QUALITY dining tables and chairs and cupboards complete with stained glass features going for around £30.

Most things in Peru aren't mass produced, and mass production usually makes things cheaper, but yet there is plenty of things that are mass produced that end up in Saga and Ripley that cost the same or more and that makes you think is this down to lack of competition.

Other things that make it difficult in Peru is that most people will never own their own home. Instead they will rent til the day they die. At least when you buy a house you will reach a point where you will no longer be paying for housing.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 08, 2014 8:26 pm

this price margin broke my heart a little as i've really picked up a taste for Hersey bars since being in Peru. UK price 35p ( 1.65 sols) Peru price 4.90 sols.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Very true, but I've also heard that, in the days before CCTV, it was used to prevent employee theft. For smaller items, pricing something at 99 cents or 1.99, etc, meant that customers would be expecting a penny change and a receipt, so the the cashier has no choice but to open the cash register and register a sale. If the customer wasn't expecting any change and couldn't be bothered waiting for a receipt, then it was very easy just to pocket the money. Apart from missing stock, which could be put down to shop lifting, nobody would be any the wiser.

Every cash register has a button to allow you to open it anytime or employees put a small piece of cardboard between the drawer and it won't close completely and you can open it anytime.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:this price margin broke my heart a little as i've really picked up a taste for Hersey bars since being in Peru. UK price 35p ( 1.65 sols) Peru price 4.90 sols.

Prices for gringo candy bars are outrageous in Peru. I'm not big on candy bars but I do have a weakness for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Whenever I get a craving instead of paying 4+ Soles I'll get the Peru equivalent (Princessa) for S/. 1.10. I'm a big fan of Iberica chocolate fondant (dark) which comes in a 6 (100 gm) bar box for around S/. 30.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

chi chi wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Very true, but I've also heard that, in the days before CCTV, it was used to prevent employee theft. For smaller items, pricing something at 99 cents or 1.99, etc, meant that customers would be expecting a penny change and a receipt, so the the cashier has no choice but to open the cash register and register a sale. If the customer wasn't expecting any change and couldn't be bothered waiting for a receipt, then it was very easy just to pocket the money. Apart from missing stock, which could be put down to shop lifting, nobody would be any the wiser.

Every cash register has a button to allow you to open it anytime or employees put a small piece of cardboard between the drawer and it won't close completely and you can open it anytime.

chi chi knows all the little tricks.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register