Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:26 am

Often people say that taking a taxi at the airport is safer than at the street but what's the difference?

Recently, I flew into Lima and as usual I got approached by several taxi drivers at the airport.

Just out of interest, I asked how much it would be to San Miguel. He said 50 soles. I offered 25. He said that he cannot accept 25. He said that when taxi's leave the airport, they have to pay a 20 soles fee to the airport office.

When I told him that I will walk outside the airport to take the bus, he came up with the usual story that it's extremely dangerous outside the airport? I've taken the bus numerous time to and from the airport and never had any problems. Less hassle than taking those taxis.

Then I asked him how much it would cost to drive me to a hostel near the airport. He said that he will drive me there for 7 soles.
I asked him how he could charge 7 soles if he has to pay 20 soles when leaving the airport? He smiled and walked off. What a plonker! :lol:


Anyone who has a car can drive into the airport and claim to be a taxi seguro. None of the taxis at the airport have a taxi sign on the roof. Put on a nice shirt and tie and many people will believe you.

When I was in Mexico City I saw a much better system. Several taxi companies had a desk in the airport. You tell the staff member where you want to go and pay for the taxi in advance at the desk. They give you a voucher. You go to the taxi rank and hand over the voucher to the supervisor who gets you a taxi. He writes down the name of the taxi driver who took you on his clipboard.


tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby tomasb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:38 am

Surely you know that the green taxi stand located outside immigration and at the exit from the domestic flights area offers safe taxis. The rates to all areas in Lima are posted on their sign board. All the drivers have ID's and are affiliated with the green taxi org. The cars are all late model four doors and in good condition.

Ignore anyone else procuring taxi rides within the airport.

The last time I took a taxi to Miraflores with this service, the price was about 48 soles.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby panman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:05 pm

All vehicles entering the airport, private or commercial, have to present their documents to a police officer at the gate, which includes taxi registration documents if you are an official taxi. For this reason, you won't get an unofficial, or should I say illegal taxi, to drive you into the airport and drop you at departures.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:58 pm

panman wrote:All vehicles entering the airport, private or commercial, have to present their documents to a police officer at the gate, which includes taxi registration documents if you are an official taxi. For this reason, you won't get an unofficial, or should I say illegal taxi, to drive you into the airport and drop you at departures.


Almost none of the taxis at the airport have a taxi sign on the roof or elsewhere on the car. Anyone can drive an unmarked taxi in the airport. You are right, the pólice checks the documents but they can't avoid that someone with a private car drives into the airport and then starts touting for passengers.

A few times, I took a taxi to the airport and just before approaching the airport, he removed the taxi sticker from his windscreen or the taxi sign from his roof.

Once my gf and I bought a lot of stuff for our home and took at taxi to the airport, the taxi driver asked us not to tell the pólice that he's a taxi driver in case he asked us but just tell the pólice that the driver is a friend of us driving us to the airport.

The other problem is that finding an oficial taxi that's prepared to drive you to the airport is hard as most taxis don't have the required documents to enter the airport. On top of that, many drivers don't like driving through Callao as the pólice is checking a lot for excesive speed and other traffic violations.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Sometimes I wonder if the OP has even visited Peru, let alone lives here. How he can pass through Jorge Chavez and not know about Green Taxis is just beyond me.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:01 pm

chi chi wrote:Often people say that taking a taxi at the airport is safer than at the street but what's the difference?

When I was in Mexico City I saw a much better system. Several taxi companies had a desk in the airport. You tell the staff member where you want to go and pay for the taxi in advance at the desk. They give you a voucher. You go to the taxi rank and hand over the voucher to the supervisor who gets you a taxi. He writes down the name of the taxi driver who took you on his clipboard.



It's called Greens Taxis. Are you telling us you've never seen their desk with the big sign?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:06 pm

tomasb wrote:Surely you know that the green taxi stand located outside immigration and at the exit from the domestic flights area offers safe taxis. The rates to all areas in Lima are posted on their sign board. All the drivers have ID's and are affiliated with the green taxi org. The cars are all late model four doors and in good condition.

Ignore anyone else procuring taxi rides within the airport.

The last time I took a taxi to Miraflores with this service, the price was about 48 soles.


If you know that then it's fine but to the first time visitor to Peru, it's hard to distinguish an oficial taxi from an illegal taxi. Sure, I have see the Green taxi desk after passing customs.

Sure, the oficial taxi desk is highly visible when you arrive from an international flight but as you said, the taxi desk is located at the exit door of the terminal when you arrive from a domestic flight. So, before you reach that desk, you allready got swarmed by taxi touts that are all flashing their ID. And I am sure many got a phony ID.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:09 pm

chi chi wrote:
tomasb wrote:Surely you know that the green taxi stand located outside immigration and at the exit from the domestic flights area offers safe taxis. The rates to all areas in Lima are posted on their sign board. All the drivers have ID's and are affiliated with the green taxi org. The cars are all late model four doors and in good condition.

Ignore anyone else procuring taxi rides within the airport.

The last time I took a taxi to Miraflores with this service, the price was about 48 soles.


If you know that then it's fine but to the first time visitor to Peru, it's hard to distinguish an oficial taxi from an illegal taxi. Sure, I have see the Green taxi desk after passing customs.

Sure, the oficial taxi desk is highly visible when you arrive from an international flight but as you said, the taxi desk is located at the exit door of the terminal when you arrive from a domestic flight. So, before you reach that desk, you allready got swarmed by taxi touts that are all flashing their ID. And I am sure many got a phony ID.


Actually, I do agree with you that for newcomers, the desk isn't situated in the best of places and it's easy to walk by.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:48 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Actually, I do agree with you that for newcomers, the desk isn't situated in the best of places and it's easy to walk by.


And with Green Taxis, you still have to haggle for the price. You can easily negotiate a lower fare than that they advertise.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby teamoperu » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:13 am

This thread is full of misinformation but I am too lazy to correct all the errors.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:51 pm

teamoperu wrote:This thread is full of misinformation but I am too lazy to correct all the errors.


Teamoperu, if the urge comes over you, please post again and correct the obvious errors and misinformation. The most reliable post I've seen here is Tomasb's.

For now, I´ll do what I can to give newcomers to Peru a rough idea what to do - when catching a taxi at the airport your best bet is to go to Taxi Green desk. Their fleet is relative new and they are safe. The prices are reasonable value for secure taxis and much less than what many hotels will charge to come and pick you up.

The Taxi Green desk is located inside international arrivals, just after you pass through the customs inspection and before the barrier into the main forecourt. Most hotels and hostels are in San Isidro and Miraflores. If the traffic is light, the trip takes about 40-45 minutes to Miraflores and 25-30 minutes to San Isidro. If you arrive at rush hour, it can take up to twice as long. Taxi Green list their prices at the desk. For taxi drivers outside in the main forecourt, you have to negotiate a fare. With Taxi Green, I usually pay 45 soles (about $17 or £10) to go to Miraflores. The last time I caught an airport taxi was in April. So Tomasb's price of 48 might be more accurate, or he lives a bit further out than I do.

It's usually not worth bothering trying to negotiate with the dozens of independent taxi drivers on the other side of the barrier. Few, if any, will be cheaper than Taxi Green. Indeed, you'll often find their prices many times higher, especially if you don't negotiate.

If you leave the airport grounds, just outside the main gate, there is a taxi stand to the right and the taxi fares drop significantly. Drivers will usually ask 30-35 soles to take you to Miraflores. If it's a quiet time of day, you might get someone who'll take you for 25. These are usually not secure taxis, so you take them at your own risk and for a saving of just a few dollars, when you're carrying all your luggage and possessions, is it really worth it? Yes, thousands of Peruvians and the odd foreigner use them every day with no problem - I've done it myself a few times - but every now and again someone gets scammed, kidnapped, or worse. Generally, I take unsecured taxis in broad daylight on busy streets when there are lots of people around and I'm going relatively short distances.

If you're hard up, there is also a bus stand outside the airport where you can catch a combi and it should cost only a couple of soles to take you to Miraflores. The buses are probably safer than than the unsecured taxis, but keep a tight hold of your possessions and luggage. After a long journey, a combi to Miraflores would probably take at least 90 minutes and they are usually packed full of people and there's nowhere to put your luggage, so this is really only for those of you on the tightest of budgets.

http://www.taxigreen.com.pe/drupal/
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby goalie3443 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:30 am

dont dare over pay for a cab there. We always head out the exit and take a right up the sidewalk then they start walking up to you dropping prices quick like your heading toward the pedestrian gate. We always take the carts out too just dont go out to the street unless youve been in callao before. Done this like 10 times no problem even got one to miraflores straight to the discos for s./15 before too.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Are Lima airport taxis really safer?

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 pm

If you need information about ground transportations at airports worldwide, then look at this website.

http://www.ihatetaxis.com/

Although the website is called ihatetaxis.com, it also gives you great information about taxis. I tells you about what the normal taxi rates are at airports worldwide but it also warns you about the taxi scams and what to look out for when taking a taxi.

According to that website, when you agree a taxi rate with the driver you really have to make sure that you negotiate the prices in Soles. As some taxi drivers will tell you that upon arrival at your destination that they meant that the rate was in dollars. So, they are trying to overcharge you 2.8 times.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register