The Groups Help

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
barry james

The Groups Help

Postby barry james » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Hello to the group, Specialized Paints and Acabados

After almost a year working building houses in Asia we at Arco Acabados and Construction have decided to move into the Lima market. We are a small group of Gringos who own and manage this company, we are from Ireland, Spain and the good old US of A.

We are currently maintaining a number of shops with outlets in the Jockey Plaza and all the other major retail centres. We are also maintaining apartments and houses of individuals living in Peru and of those who have returned to their native countries for a while.

We are currently in the process of getting our licences to import special paints and industrial coatings.
These paints are anti-fungal /anti-mould, anti-slip, anti -rust, etc etc.

As we already have a large painting crew at our disposal, we would like to know, do you as a group think there is a market for these kinds of products ?

Mould on bathroom ceilings and walls will be a thing of the past

Your help and comments with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all very much, Barry.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Groups Help

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 am

barry james wrote:We are currently in the process of getting our licences to import special paints and industrial coatings.
These paints are anti-fungal /anti-mould, anti-slip, anti -rust, etc etc.

As we already have a large painting crew at our disposal, we would like to know, do you as a group think there is a market for these kinds of products ?

Mould on bathroom ceilings and walls will be a thing of the past

First check out if those products aren't yet sold at places like Sodimac or Maestro Homecenter. If they do, then for sure there's a market for it but it will be tough to compete on prices with those big stores.

Paints that are anti-mould, rust and fungal will sell well.
Just look at the metal gates and balconies at flats in Lima. The salty air coming from the sea eats all metal.
Mould and fungal is a big problem in Lima. Especially at homes located close to the ocean.
I visited brandnew flats located at the Malecón and even they have allready big stains of green mold on the walls.
barry james

Postby barry james » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks chi chi,

As far as I can tell, I will be the first provider of anti fungal / mould paint in Peru.

However, it's not just the materials that are important but even more so is the proper application and the correct methods of preparation.

Do you think the expat community would use this product ?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:49 pm

barry james wrote:Thanks chi chi,

As far as I can tell, I will be the first provider of anti fungal / mould paint in Peru.

However, it's not just the materials that are important but even more so is the proper application and the correct methods of preparation.

Do you think the expat community would use this product ?

If I was living in Lima close to the Malecón then for sure you could come over and paint my place all over.

But don't count too much on the expatcommunity. Most expats rent their flat so they aren't going to invest a lot of money in it.

You will have to focus on the districts that are close to the sea. San Miguel, Magdalena Del Mar, Callao, Barranco, Miraflores, San Isidro, Chorillos.
Most places (even the brandnew flatbuildings) suffer from mould.
Many people just paint over the stains every few weeks but as you know, that isn't a solution as the mould comes back.

In ElComercio, there's a classifieds section where you can advertise for profesional services.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm guessing you mean Asia south of Lima, not Asia the continent, but I would have thought that was a great market as there are thousands of new flats and houses and condos down that way. I'm not sure there are that many expats in Lima to make much money. I'd target house-proud Peruvians. But definitely they sound like good products. Mould and humidity are a real problem.

Just as an aside, I was thinking about these products recently, as many of these new beach homes have lots of decking and wooden fittings that I've noticed are beginning deteriorate quickly because of the sea air. I was wondering why no one had yet started to import wood-plastic composites. Higher upfront cost, but minimal maintenance.

http://www.upmprofi.com/en/products/dec ... fault.aspx

http://www.ktron.com/industries_served/ ... lastic.cfm
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I'd say you'd be better targeting house-proud Peruvians, especially since there's been a boom in seaside living and holiday homes, particularly south of Lima - thousands of new houses have been built south of Lima, particularly around Asia. I'd imagine that would be a good market.

Sergio, the OP wrote in his first post that he has been working in Asia for the last year.

He's interested in moving to Lima.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:09 pm

chi chi wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:I'd say you'd be better targeting house-proud Peruvians, especially since there's been a boom in seaside living and holiday homes, particularly south of Lima - thousands of new houses have been built south of Lima, particularly around Asia. I'd imagine that would be a good market.

Sergio, the OP wrote in his first post that he has been working in Asia for the last year.

He's interested in moving to Lima.

Thanks, I just realised and changed the post. I thought he meant the Far East. Doh!
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Interestingly, as most new builds use lots of concrete with a high water content, in their first few years, there can be a very big problem with mould in new blocks of flats. Usually a couple of hot Lima summers, the problem lessens. Now, my thought is if you are using a sealant, are you then sealing the moisture in and it's better to use it after the building is a few years old?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Thanks, I just realised and changed the post. I thought he meant the Far East. Doh!

:lol:

At first, I thought the same but when he said that he was working at shops in Jockey Plaza then I realised that he's working in Peru.
barry james

Postby barry james » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Yes I've been working in Peru just over 2 years.

A very good point about the need for this kind of paint in Asia with all the beach houses. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, we have painted a lot of beach houses over the past two years and not one as of yet needs to be redone. This is because we took our time, used the correct materials and application methods. Nothing was slapped on just to make a quick buck.

We started this business with the intention of building our name, as we all taught this was what would separate us from the crowd. A quality service.

The reason for trying to break in to the Lima market is two fold, the first, to stand still is like taking a step backwards, we want to build a successful business. I think right now at the moment we are probably the only business providing full training to an apprentice ( American Standards ) and also the only little construction business who has a profit share scheme in place for it's employees.

The second reason, we now have children of various ages and like all working parents we are struggling to find a correct work / life balance. Hopefully, if we become well known in Lima we will be able to enjoy a better quality of life. I mean this was my primary purpose for coming to Peru.

I really appreciate all your comments, thank you very much guys.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:22 pm

While I was fixing my wife's house for sale, I had a hell of a time finding spackling. You know the kind that comes in a plastic tub. Great to do quick repair of small cracks or old nail holes in cement and plaster board. Finally had to use a almost pure cement mix that came dry in a tub.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-1-qt-Dry ... d1Z1z0szqu

I managed with what I had so all's well that ends well.
Laliflores

Postby Laliflores » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 am

My boyfriend and I own a flat in Miraflores that suffers badly from mould. We would be very interested in your paints! I think we might be the only ex pats we know who aren't renting though. Please message me your information? Thanks.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register