Better Bargain Than Back Home

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
NickCasper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Better Bargain Than Back Home

Postby NickCasper » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Hey expats! What are some of the things in Peru that are dirt cheap when compared to prices back in the states? Everyone again, kindly jump on in. Thanks!

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Better Bargain Than Back Home

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Services.
NickCasper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NickCasper » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 pm

ya dont say! Ok as for goods apposed to services? That was more my question.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Pisco is cheap...aaah and Mangos :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 am

Hostels and are cheaper.

The YMCA in Manhattan charges around $100 a night and is filthy and has very small rooms. For $10 a night you can find much better in Peru. Even in Lima.
NickCasper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NickCasper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 am

Cool. How about consumer goods.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:20 am

NickCasper wrote:Cool. How about consumer goods.

I can't think of any.

Even compared to Europe, the US is a cheap country.

I am now in Spain and most things are cheaper than in Peru.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 pm

This is an interesting question that has me thinking but so far not coming up with much. Discounting services, hotel rooms and restaurant meals and considering only consumer goods, pharmaceuticals can be much cheaper, but that goes for Canada vs. the US as well so it's not specific to Peru. Perhaps certain grains, but as the recent thread on Maca prices has shown things aren't always cheap here just because they are from here. Especially with goods such as coffee that are more grown for export markets than consumption in Peru. Anything imported from abroad is likely to be higher than the same item imported into the US. Perhaps locally made handicrafts, blankets, etc.. Jewelry, but I don't know if the price difference could be considered "dirt cheap." Pisco seems a good answer, but I never priced Pisco in the states so I don't know how much of a savings there is.

The most obvious answer that came up for something "dirt cheap" in Peru compared to the US is Coca leaves. Based simply on supply/demand and legality, you are going to pay a much higher price in the US on the black market for a relatively limited and highly controlled supply than you would here where you can legally go to just about any local market and buy as much as you'd like. I would imagine it's far easier to buy the processed product of coca leaves in the US than it is to buy the actual leaves themselves. That same processed product, though illegal here as well, will most likely be "dirt cheap" compared to what you would pay in the US for the exact same quality. Sorry if you're asking with thoughts of buying low in Peru and selling high in the US instead of just as an academic question, but that's the best I could think of.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:37 pm

I wonder as well. I know it does not cost any more to import the crap we call consumer goods from Chine to Peru than it does from China to the US. So how can the Chinese stuff be more expensive in Peru than the US? Lack of competition?

As for the OP's question, eating out is much cheaper in Peru. Baby Alpaca wool is way cheaper in Peru than the US. I always bring home some for my sisters when I travel back and forth. There are a couple of shops that are always full in Gamarra that sell quality wool! Just abut anything produced in Peru would be cheaper than Europe and the states.

Eye glasses are also WAY cheaper in Peru!
NickCasper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NickCasper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:56 pm

They grind the lenses here?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Good question. In terms of physical products, not a lot is in my experience. Most internationally-traded products aren't cheaper, as there are neither the same economies of scale in Peru as in Europe or the US, nor large efficient distribution networks. So any product that can be shipped across borders generally costs more here. As Ironchefchris mentioned, it's really only services where I've noticed big savings in prices.

Thinking about it, I've come up with a similar list, but it's quite subjective and quality can vary enormously from places to place. Cheap things that I use every day, I can only really think of perishable goods like locally-grown fruit and veg that are in season. Although I notice when they're not in season, things like mangos become ridiculously expensive. Although that's a good excuse to switch to something like melon or chirimoya which seem to have different growing seasons.

Some generic brands of pharmaceuticals are cheaper, although I find things like Paracetamol and aspirin more expensive. Some locally made crafts are often good value, especially if they're hand made by skilled artisans. I've noticed a lot of good quality silver products and jewellery.Taking local public transport, or taxis, is cheap, but flights are more expensive - although that might come under services. Tailor-made clothes, especially in Gamarra, are good value, but a bit of inside knowledge and recommendations are often necessary to get the best quality and the best bargain.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Things that are cheap in Peru (depending on where you are in Peru of course):

Vegetables, meat, fish (especially if you buy them at a local market).
Going to the movies.
Eating out (in many cases).
Going out/nightlife.
Taxis, buses
Services (as others have said before)
Rent in some places (depends on location, I'm not talking about Miraflores, etc.)
Water, electricity (again depends on location)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:16 am

Freshly squeezed juices
Huancaina sauce
Quality fabrics
Some clothing and shoes (including traveler wear)
Newspapers
Wines, local liqueurs and liquor
Gold and silver handcrafted jewelry
Antiques
Andean artisan products
Cheap house furnishings
Museums, art shows, symphony, concerts, sporting events
Therapeutic massages, manicures, pedicures, nail art, hair dressing
Dental work
Prescription eye-wear
Hotel accommodation
Quality restaurant meals
Internet, cell, home phone services (depending on your home country)

... blue pills? :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:59 am

teamoperu wrote:
Wines

??? Where can I buy wine for a cheaper Peru in Peru than in Europe?
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:09 am

A divorce would be cheaper in Peru.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:21 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
Wines

Maybe not compared to Europe where there are places you can take your empty jug to get refilled cheaply with very good wine (Loire Valley, France for instance), but the OP asked about prices "that are dirt cheap when compared to prices back in the states" where wine isn't as inexpensive as you can find it in parts of Europe.

I found a good deal on a nice Chilean red that a local market packages as a 2 x 1 at S./ 29 with an included wine glass, which would be more expensive in the states. There's good values on Argentinian wines as well when compared to buying the same wines in the states. Haven't come across any Peruvian wines I'm that crazy about, though as mentioned, Pisco is cheaper here than the states.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:49 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
Wines

You are asking me to substantiate any wild and crazy thing I might post? You? Really? Is that considered big boy behaviour here now? Have you turned over a new leaf?

Tell ya what. I'll show you mine if you show me yours, like your comment “Because the only thing they eat and can afford is that menú for the whole day.” Prove it.

(But to your point, I like ironchefChris' post and I could name some more.)

Just to add, picked up a wonderful trapiche broquel bonarda 2009 (mendoza argentina) in a nice store in Peru for less than $4. Way better bargain than back home (as per the OP). You think cheap wine, I think value for money. It would cost $20 back home.
Last edited by teamoperu on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Though it's another service and not a consumer good, I've heard that hitmen are substantially cheaper here than in the states - and much younger too! It's been posted here that S/. 150 is supposedly all it takes to rub someone out in Peru. That kind of money wouldn't even come close to being able to hire these guys in the states.

Last edited by ironchefchris on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chante » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:41 pm

I thought teamoperu did answer the question - specifically about wine he just bought for $4 as compared to about $20 in the U.S.

In general, I've found the cost of living in Peru much cheaper than Canada - food, wine, coffee, services - hair, massage, dental, medical, public transportation. As a snowbird I spend four months in Peru, the rest in Canada (or travelling elsewhere). As a couple we spend about $2000 (Cdn) less in Peru than in Canada and that includes our rental cost in Peru.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:12 pm

Just for Chi chi and any others that may be interested.

Plaza Veo.
Plaza Veo.jpg
Plaza Veo.jpg (207.62 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

States:
States Cheapest.jpg
States Cheapest.jpg (161.05 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

UK
uk cheapest.jpg
uk cheapest.jpg (188.6 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

Belgium:
Belgium.jpg
Belgium.jpg (226.23 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:04 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Just for Chi chi and any others that may be interested.

Adrian, for sure if you go to LIDL or Aldi in the UK, you can get those bottles of wine cheaper than at Tesco.

I buy a good bottle of wine here in Spain for 1 euro or 3.60 soles.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:55 pm

I checked out Lidl / Aldi (Same company) Tesco beat them every time on imported wine. I think you are buying Spanish plonk, which is not the best in the world. The object of the exercise was to see the differential with Peru and it is proven there is a big difference in the plonk prices, but not the better quality. I carry in the region of twenty bottles at any time and buy when the offers are on the shelves. I normally pay in the region of 15 to30 soles a time for good quality Chardonnays and Merlots.
As you say the bottle you drinking at the moment for under 4 soles, must have a label. Can you share what it is called, the bottler and the year it was bottled please.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:As you say the bottle you drinking at the moment for under 4 soles, must have a label. Can you share what it is called, the bottler and the year it was bottled please.

I check it out next time I go to the Mercadona, Dani or Dia.

It isn't bad stuff. First time, I thought I give it a go. If it's plonk then I can use it to marinade my steaks so no loss. But it's actually quiet good. And even after downing a bottle I didn't feel like an eijit the next morning.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:09 am

chi chi wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:As you say the bottle you drinking at the moment for under 4 soles, must have a label. Can you share what it is called, the bottler and the year it was bottled please.

Yes, do that please. I too would be interested in knowing the name, bottler, and year of a good wine in Spain that costs 1 Euro. Don't forget now. We are trusting you when you say you will. Don't let us down.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:18 am

adrian Thorne wrote:I checked out Lidl / Aldi (Same company)

When did Aldi buy out Lidle, or visa versa? I thought they were major competitors.
As for wine prices in Peru, I often find that Primax have some great offers. I'm currently buying Los Arboles Malbec for under S/. 20 per bottle (that's single bottles, not a 3x2 Plaza Vea type offer)
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:42 am

panman wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:I checked out Lidl / Aldi (Same company)

When did Aldi buy out Lidle, or visa versa? I thought they were major competitors.
As for wine prices in Peru, I often find that Primax have some great offers. I'm currently buying Los Arboles Malbec for under S/. 20 per bottle (that's single bottles, not a 3x2 Plaza Vea type offer)

My apologies I meant to say they are direct competitors at the same level. They are not wholly owned by one company.

I did say however the better quality wines are very competitive here in sunny Lima.

MrEd wrote:I can go one better. How about some Spanish wines for under a buck.
Don Simon Rosado 95 cents
Don Simon Vino Tinto 95 cents
Don Simon Sangria 95 cents

http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/03/ ... s-verdict/

Yes the cheaper plonks are a give away in the country of origin. The problem comes when paying the bus fare to get there from Peru.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:58 am

Mr Ed the op was asking the question.

NickCasper wrote:Hey expats! What are some of the things in Peru that are dirt cheap when compared to prices back in the states? Everyone again, kindly jump on in. Thanks!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:34 am

Mred your input was great. It confirms prices of cheaper Spanish wines are a non starter here. I looked at Chilean as a comparison and found the more expensive bottles are in some cases cheaper in Peru. Quite a surprise. As I said earlier there are cheaper ones on the shelf at about 13/S but still a big difference from the 95 cents.
Chi chi suggested a particular bottle and as soon as I have the info from him I can see if it is actually available here and what price is paid.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:35 pm

MrEd wrote:Thank you, but I am missing something. What do you wish to confirm by seeing if Chi Chi's wine is available in Peru or not? He was not quoting a price and availability in Peru or Chile.
He found a wine less than a Euro in Spain. Go to your wine store and see if you can top that and Peru wins. Brand is not important simply dirt cheap.

The OP asked what is dirt cheap in Peru. Someone said wine. Both Chi Chi and I confirmed that is not true. I found wine for 95 cents in Spain, beating out Chi Chi by the way. If you find wine for less than 95 cents in Peru you confirm wine is dirt cheap in Peru and not Spain.
As it stands now it looks like Spain holds the title for the cheapest wine.
Is that not what we are talking about? What is dirt cheap.

Probably depends on what kind of wine you are talking about. Of course Spanish wine is going to be cheaper in Spain. I doubt Peruvian wine is cheaper in Spain than in Peru though.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Maybe items made of gold.

Depends on your bargaining skills though. My wife always tells me to wander off somewhere so we don't get the gringo price.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:09 am

KenBE wrote:
MrEd wrote:I doubt Peruvian wine is cheaper in Spain than in Peru though.
Why would anybody in Spain would get Peruvian wine even if its for free :lol: :lol:Sorry, there are a lot of really nice things here in Peru...national red wine isnt one of those :?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:34 am

Bottled water is cheaper in Perú than back home.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:26 pm

chi chi wrote:

It isn't bad stuff. ... But it's actually quiet good. And even after downing a bottle I didn't feel like an eijit the next morning.

chi chi, any luck in tracking down the name, bottler and year of that 1 Euro wine that was quite good? Inquiring minds want to know.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but the 1 Euro a bottle of wine does exist. A couole of years ago a Spanish colleague of mine mentioned this, he said that due to the state of the economy wine was being heavily subsidised. I don't know the truth about that but have a look at this.
https://www.aldi.es/
I shudder to think what it might taste like, but I'd be willing to give it a try and write a review if chi chi would like to bring some back. :D
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Wine doesn't seem to be the most looked after in Peru.
But for example a bottle of rum ( 1 liter ) costs only S/. 15.00 in Makro. I think in Europe you can translate this amount into Euros..
Also quinoa is getting more and more expensive in Peru, but compared to Europe it is a bargain. Around S/. 10.00 for a bag of 500 gram
And what about labor costs. We had our couches been refurbished. In Europe this would cost you a small fortune, but in Peru it costed like S/. 600 including cloth/mano de obra/transport to pick it up, and leave it completely new in our house. Also they changed very cheaply the parasol and 'sun lounger'. In Europe we would have just bought a new one, but in Peru you can have it fixed good and cheaply.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 pm

USB flash drives - or at least the 8 GB ones in Wong with the Brazilian flag - for about 9.90 soles, making it cheaper than both Walmart and Tesco.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technology- ... 374732.cat

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... ity:8%20GB

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register