Lima have changed so much in 4 years

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
marthajesty

Lima have changed so much in 4 years

Postby marthajesty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 am

Arrived 7 days ago and noise is the first thing I notice has increased since the last time I was here in Lima. Caos on the streets wherever I go! even though there is the Metropolitano, what is happening, will this be a horrendous city next time I come back? I also notice the increase in prices, my British pounds goes very quickly in a evening out.
I decided to live in Surco to start writing a book but even here is noisy.........
Another thing I notice is that there are more buildings and most people in the bus are on their iphones, just like in London! Loving the food!

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lima have changed so much in 4 years

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:31 am

Hello Martha. Welcome back to Peru. Surco is a big district and I am sure there are quiet parts. We moved out from Surquillo seven years ago and glad we did. While I am writing I can hear the bird song and not petrol fumes. The number of cars on the roads of Lima have multiplied dramatically but hopefully this is being addressed. Whilst you were away the Stirling exchange rate fell through the floor and at one stage gave less than 4 soles to the pound. The rate now is wonderful and still climbing towards the rate it was seven years ago. I haven't found restaurant prices increased at all, but it may be the style we choose. Robbery is still quite high and if somebody is using a cellular on the bus they are immediately a target. People are fully aware of this, but the young are inclined to become complacent. Investment in the infrastructure is increasing and you will see many new buildings and improved roads.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm

I noticed that there was less noise in Lima than 4 years ago.

There are less combis and ex-American schoolbuses. More modern cars as well that make less noise.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Change occur everywhere all the time. Some people embrace change. Sometimes it is good, sometime not. In balance, IMHO Lima has changed for the better over the last 4 years and hopefully change even more during the next 4 years. Maybe you too can change... like maybe change you plans and go right back to quiet England?
marthajesty

Postby marthajesty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:07 pm

thanks for all your comments. Yes, there are less combis (thanks God!) more modern cars, more buildings specially in Miraflores and less poor people. I am working as a volunteer here also with Help Women and Children where people who used to be recicladores they are now running micro business and helping others. I have just finished wrapping all their Christmas presents and we will have the Christmas party this Saturday.
What I love about life in Lima is that not a day is similar to the other, people are so spontaneous that they can go to the other extreme and forget meetings or change them as they go along! but I prefer that than the routine per hour that I have in England.
I would like to live in Lima but I cant I am only here for 5 more weeks. I would love to meet English people living in Lima....anybody for a coffee next week?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:40 pm

I'd say the infrastructure is definitely improving for the better, less combis, bigger buses, and the metropolitano is very quick, efficient and secure. I've also seen roads improve a lot over the years.

There are fewer streets with cratered pot-holes and in places like Callao, with speed cameras at the traffic lights, it looks like this improvement in infrastructure is going to continue. Maybe with more speed cameras, there might even be an improvement in road manners. Ojala! There are also cycle lanes appearing, some of which, like on Jose Larco, are really good and separated from the traffic by a small barrier, rather than just a painted sign on the road.

However, there is definitely more traffic, more cars, more horns, more traffic jams, which makes parts of Lima feel a lot noisier and more crowded.

There are definitely a lot more taller buildings and lots of on-going building works. In some districts, there's scarcely a street that doesn't have a new block of flats or offices going up, or just been recently finished.

If you've got plata, Lima's definitely changing for the better, more choice and better services, but it's a difficult city to be poor in. And for those that crave a house with a garden, there's a lot less choice now, as in many areas, houses are being torn down to put up small and medium-sized apartment blocks.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:22 pm

with the holidays coming up, there is more than normal hustle & bustle in the streets too. i got here a week ago, and noticed it as well.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
marthajesty

Postby marthajesty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I took some photos of the metropolitano and people doing queue before entering the bus gates, that impressed me! the metropolitano is soo civilized, you MUST give a sit to the elderly or pregnant women by law, in England they see these kind of people and carry on reading their book/newspaper or ipads/phones.
I must go to Gamarra, where I heard, have changed a lot.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:47 pm

marthajesty wrote:I took some photos of the metropolitano and people doing queue before entering the bus gates, that impressed me! the metropolitano is soo civilized

wait till the "hora punta"
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 pm

caliguy wrote:with the holidays coming up, there is more than normal hustle & bustle in the streets too. i got here a week ago, and noticed it as well.

And even more in a few days when folks get their annual gratification.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:15 am

Personally I love the taxi ride from the airport, the smell of food and the noise, hustle and bustle. If people do not like noise why do they consider living in the city? every city has noise to a certain degree. I miss Lima and am counting down, 21 months to go to retirement.... Bring on the noise.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register