US EMBASSY DISTRIBUTE ADVISORY (CRIME:Miraflores)

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

US EMBASSY DISTRIBUTE ADVISORY (CRIME:Miraflores)

Postby tupacperu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Anyone aware of these incidents (read below)

In response: Municipalidad de Miraflores

MUNICIPALIDAD DE MIRAFLORES IS SILENT ON AMERICAN IN PERU EMBASSY MESSAGE
Posted on 27/02/2015 by Municipalidad de Miraflores
Before widespread message today by the Embassy of United States in Peru in social networks and media, which prohibits its workers go to a commercial establishment in the District of Miraflores by having been the target of recent criminal acts, knowledge of public opinion do the following:

The commune miraflorina regrets the criminal acts that occurred in recent weeks in the city of Lima, and in particular in three commercial establishments in the district, including Sophie Bistro restaurant, where coincidentally were members of the diplomatic delegation of the Embassy of United States in Peru.

In that sense, the municipality of Miraflores is seen in the need to clarify that the unfortunate events in the restaurant are made 'atypical', determined by the national police of Peru.

In that sense, the Mayor Jorge Muñoz Wells has sent a letter to the Embassy of the United States expressing its great concern at the communication released by be very detrimental to the image of the Peru, Miraflores, and in particular, that of an establishment formal Miraflores, which has been the victim of a criminal act.

It is important to note that Miraflores has been developing an intense work in the field of security through the strategy "Miraflores 360 °: all together for citizen security", an integral proposal of joint actions with the authorities involved in the security of the district.

Through this initiative has been to reduce the crime incidence in Miraflores, taking as a basis the coordinated work between the institutions involved in security under a global vision and a permanent interaction led by the municipality of Miraflores and shared by the national police of Peru, Serenazgo, firefighters, neighborhood committees, governance, Justice of the peace, private enterprise and all local authorities competent in the field.

Facing these facts, the day Friday, February 27, the meeting N ° 198 of the citizen security District Committee, led by the Mayor of Miraflores, Jorge Muñoz, agreed to further strengthen security measures already adopted in the surroundings of the mentioned restaurant area, as well as other establishments and public spaces of the district, in order to give tranquility to the locals and visitors.

The municipality of Miraflores is committed to continue its tireless work in favor of the safety of the district and the country in general.

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: US EMBASSY DISTRIBUTE ADVISORY (CRIME:Miraflores)

Postby tupacperu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:57 pm

MiraFlores not so safe. Peru needs to step up security for Citizens as well:

More Detail:
http://www.larepublica.pe/27-02-2015/em ... hie-bistro

The order was given for theft at the local. In communication with LaRepublica.pe, owner of the Miraflores restaurant expressed its indignation with the release.
Web writing.

Update (14:20): José Luis Pérez Guadalupe, Minister of the Interior, spoke out on the subject: "I am respectful of what can say other embassies and they have done their analysis, what touches us and corresponds is struggle precisely so that this release is reversed to the extent that we can provide more security." "I think that not we cover the Sun with a finger, effectively the insecurity citizen arrives at all districts".

PRIOR INFORMATION

Through a statement on Facebook, the United States Embassy in Lima indicates that his staff has forbidden visit Sophie Bistro restaurant, located in Miraflores, "recent armed robberies" in place. The message to U.S. citizens in the capital, indicates that this measure will remain until further notice. The message was published on 18 February.

Days earlier, on 13 February, fifteen clients were assaulted there. Among them was a worker of the United States Embassy, William Bradley Baker (50). The amount of stolen customers is estimated at 50,000 soles.

"Even though this location in particular has been an unfortunate target, is recalled to the citizens of the United States to any location or area frequented by tourists has potential to become a target of this kind of crime, as well as thefts or bolsiqueos. Please, pay attention to their surroundings and belongings at all times, minimize the amount of cash that load when possible, and have separate copies of passports and information about credit cards that are available to you in the rare case of becoming a crime victim", added the statement, which also advised to go to the police.

Larepublica.com.PE contacted an official of the Embassy, which said not how many robberies occurred in the designated place. He told us that there is no date for lifting the ban. Have prohibitions been in before to enter specific locations? The source pointed out that you can find out that information. That Yes, pointed out that when they have specific information for their citizens - in any case-they give it.

To find out how many robberies have occurred on the premises so far of the year, we talked with Luis Sologuren, owner of Sophie Bistro. He stated that crime on 13 February was the third time in that its location is assaulted since it works four years ago.

Also said that it is hilarious to be recommended to American citizens not to visit the restaurant (that is the interpretation which gives the owner, although the prohibition is only to workers of the Embassy). He also stressed that his mother and son are U.S. citizens. He hopes that the municipality of Miraflores to rule on this case.

Correction (27/02 - 10:50 hours): A previous version of this article said that the assault was on 14 February morning. Sophie Bistro owner mentioned that he actually took place on 13 February.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:00 pm

i saw this on the news this morning. the robbers apparently fled to La Victoria. so, Miraflores has been robbed and everyone is up in arms to protect the city. what about all the other districts of Lima? should they just put a wall up around the borders of Miraflores? going to the police won't be of much help either. your valuables/belongings will be looong gone :(
just happy to hear nobody was hurt.
btw, have you seen the comments on their fb page?
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:53 pm

At least he tried to be balanced by saying "in the rare case of becoming a crime victim."
cmcarriemarie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cmcarriemarie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Caliguy - one of the first comments I saw on the FB page was "Go home gringos" :( I didn't even keep reading after that. Sad!!
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Thoreau
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:07 pm

cmcarriemarie wrote:Caliguy - one of the first comments I saw on the FB page was "Go home gringos" :( I didn't even keep reading after that. Sad!!

i think both sides are blowing it a little out of proportion :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:22 pm

caliguy wrote:i think both sides are blowing it a little out of proportion :D

Indeed. I think that the US embassy should warn it's staff not to go out in the US and there will be more chance that they become a victim of a crime than in Miraflores.

If Miraflores is considered too dangerous by the US embassy, then there staff can go to restaurants in Villa El Salvador. When my gf and I are in Lima, we always go out to restaurants and clubs and Villa El Salvador and never had or had seen any problems. Opposite the comisaria in Villa El Salvador, there's a very nice Italian restaurant. One of the few in Peru that can prepare a decent pizza.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register