Huanchaco malecón destroyed by the sea

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Huanchaco malecón destroyed by the sea

Postby KenBE » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 am

A big part of the malecón in Huanchaco (near Trujillo) was destroyed by strong waves:

http://www.rpp.com.pe/2015-03-23-huanch ... 80416.html

:shock:

I used to live near Huanchaco so I know it pretty well. Pretty shocking. I wonder how this will affect tourism.

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Huanchaco malecón destroyed by the sea

Postby tupacperu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:04 am

Summer is ending, hopefully it will be repaired soon.
If not, send them tourist up to Pimentel :).
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 am

Never underestimate the power of nature. As much as we like to ignore it, coastal areas are not static and never will be.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 am

Tourism in Huanchaco in danger because of coastal erosion:

19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 19naia » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:47 pm

seems like all the Peru coastal areas are between the sea and steep land rises or cliffs... Huanchaco is not the worst of them, but its a short walk from the ocean to the very steep high ground that rises like a cliff in many places.. The center market area rises steep but gently enough to let houses be built all the way up to the big church up on the top flats.. The other side of the tops flats are another steep drop or cliff into the valley that extends to Trujillo...
The Ocean will keep changing the beach scape there and keeping it an ever tightening fit... The real issue is the beach front road is as close to the beach as can be while the houses and tourist businesses are built around the road as close as can be... One small but significant displacement, will ratchet through the whole town and make an upset... At least Trujillo is right there to take in any displaced people out of Huanchaco..
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

My wife had one condition when buying beach front property. "Above the beach"

ON the right side of the Hotel:

KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:28 pm

this beach will always have problems with big swells. this is nothing new. this year there have been some good strong waves so no surprises here.

you also know - or probably not - but the 100 year old pier in chicama was destroyed by a big swell around this time. i cant remember if it was this one or another in april....but as a bad joke, now their are two piers in chicama. a good friend of mine rescued all the people who were trapped on the other side of the pier, the part that was broken and you couldnt just cross to the other side. he got no recognition, no awards, just something that was right to do. they only lost one boat which has since been salvaged.

summer never really ended here until just recently as far as i am concerned. climate change. el nino. just normal cycles of our mother earth. who knows. lets all pretend its 12-21-2012 and the world is gonna end.
aussie perdido

Postby aussie perdido » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:08 pm

vivaperusurf wrote:this beach will always have problems with big swells. this is nothing new. this year there have been some good strong waves so no surprises here.

you also know - or probably not - but the 100 year old pier in chicama was destroyed by a big swell around this time. i cant remember if it was this one or another in april....but as a bad joke, now their are two piers in chicama. a good friend of mine rescued all the people who were trapped on the other side of the pier, the part that was broken and you couldnt just cross to the other side. he got no recognition, no awards, just something that was right to do. they only lost one boat which has since been salvaged.

summer never really ended here until just recently as far as i am concerned. climate change. el nino. just normal cycles of our mother earth. who knows. lets all pretend its 12-21-2012 and the world is gonna end.

yeah its funny how every single time there's a decent swell the news reporters are out in flocks like seagulls reporting on the affected areas and the poor old fishermen who can't go out to make a living, like as if the sea had never produced a big swell before in all of history... howver, all the small beach municipalities activities of putting in malecons over the dunes, allowing residents to brick and mortar down to the high tide mark and dumping whatever other coastal structures on us without studies or consultation is starting to take effect in most traditional peruvian bañarios, simply no sand replenishment.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:35 am

Beaches bring tourism which equals money. Money will always be misspent to protect this resource.

Huanchaco was recently designated a world surfing reserve. I have surfed in LA in the us during and afte a heavy rain close to storm drains and the water quality is still better than the average day at huanchaco. Having lived there sometimes when there is no swell it smells like poop, for weeks. The population in huanchaco is so ignorant to the resource they have, the chimus are rolling in their graves at how the current generation of humans has turned this wonderful natural site into a near disater area.

Back in 2012 they spent 3 million soles to replace sand in huanchanco, based upon a biased study. Alll that sand is now gone,in less than three years. I hope the ocean continues to whip up furious swells to completely destroy the horrible man made crap they have put along the waterfront of this once mighty and historicly significant bay.

The guys that fish with caballitos put nets out and catch fish to sell in huanchaco and trujillo, and even send it to other places to make more money.

Based upon the level of contamination i would never eat a plate of fish that was served with fish caught locally.

Also more updates on chicama, they are now going to build a malecon there. As if they need one. Really. At least they took out all the illegal structures pn the beach such as resteraunts that with every full moon high tide and big swell would flood the beach and was raw sewage and trash out onthe beach and intothe ocean there. So the malecon, although it is a stupid waste of money at least they got rid of the poop on the beach. Man it was so nice before they came in and put their resteraunts out there. I hope we get more big swells to wreck the malecon they build there too. Dumbass politics. Forget anout schools, education, teachers, healthcare, lets make a big cement path. That is using your head and surely will be done chicama style, very poorly. Then the people will come at night and rob all the raw materials to use for their houses made of plastic sheets and straw. At least it will get ised fpr something good.

Once they built a big wall at chicama along the hill. The people who live there didnt want it so they just knocked it over. To this day ther are bits of concrete littered all over the loma. Stupid corrupt politicians. I dont think they will ever get it right.

One day i asked one of the girls working on the project about it, she was absolutely not willing to say anything. Thanks:-) at least she is making some income off the property but she is not a local, they dont have local engineers. i see no benefit to these projects, and others including huanchaco, which seems to me more and more filthy every time i go there. No respect for the beach or the ocean, a great resource.

To further ***** up the beach in huanchaco, apart from the UNUSED spot complex they built fpr the juegos boliviariiririririanos that was NOT completed in time for the games, now they are putting in some kind of atv gokart park. Yeah that is jut what the beach needs. WHEN el nino comes and ruins it, ill be happy to not have to see the monstrosity, but sad to see it all get washed into the ocean with so much other trash.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register