microbreweries?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
[email protected]

microbreweries?

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi all,
We were very sad to learn that the only microbrewery that we knew in Lima closed (Colon- Ovalo Gutierrez). Does anyone know where we can get any decent beer around here (Lima, that is)? yes, i've paid the 8 soles for the old speckled hen in Wong, but would love it if there is some unsung local beer...
Thanks!
Robin

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:04 pm

Good beer? Now this guy's whistling my tune!
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
WikiSama
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby WikiSama » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:00 am

You'd have more luck finding a leprechaun with a pot of gold holding a five-leafed clover in Barracones, Callao than finding good beer in Lima. 8)
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 am

WikiSama wrote:You'd have more luck finding a leprechaun with a pot of gold holding a five-leafed clover in Barracones, Callao than finding good beer in Lima. 8)

No Saporo, Wiki? Well, I'm fond of Cusqueña and Cristal -they're no Guinness, but will suffice.

Google turned up this place. Anyone know it? Supposed to be a brew-pub.

Palos de Mogeur
Av. Emilio Cavenecia #129 Miraflores
Lima, 00000
Peru
phone: 511 2 218363

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Remy

Postby Remy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:27 am

cajun jamie wrote:
WikiSama wrote:You'd have more luck finding a leprechaun with a pot of gold holding a five-leafed clover in Barracones, Callao than finding good beer in Lima. 8)

No Saporo, Wiki? Well, I'm fond of Cusqueña and Cristal -they're no Guinness, but will suffice.

Palos de Mogeur
Lima, 00000
Peru

Palos de Moguer is no more. Peru has okay lagers, but people here don't drink heavy/more flavoured beers. Obviously they are Latinos and no Germanos 8)
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:36 pm

cajun jamie wrote:

Palos de Mogeur
Lima, 00000
Peru

That's probably the micro-brewery they were talking about in Ovalo Guiterrez. Emilio Cavenecia is right behind there (behind McDonalds and Bembos)
stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stalker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:22 pm

i believe beer house brews their own and has good music and dancing.
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:30 pm

where is beer house?
stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stalker » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:34 pm

there is one behind calle de pizza and also one in barranco
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:56 pm

Would you guys be referring to Bierhaus? Just curious. 8)
stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stalker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 am

yes that is the one i mentioned , just forgot to add the german accent!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:28 am

Law and Order | 10 August, 2007 [ 15:30 ]

Bierhaus Nightclub Closed Down in Miraflores, Lima, Peru

(LIP-ir) -- In a new campaign which is to bring more order to Miraflores, headed by Mayor of the Municipality, Manuel Masías, diverse localities are being fined and shut down.

One of the places that was recently affected was the night club/bar, Bierhaus. Bierhaus, located near the intersection of Berlin and Bellavista streets in Miraflores, was shut down today because it did not have the necessary operating license.

According to the Municipality of Miraflores, the district is taking part in a campaign to reorganize and regulate all of the commercial establishments that Mayor Manuel Masías is responsible for. The Municipality is also taking part in an effort to provide demanding neighbors with more peace and quiet.

Shirley beauty and hair salon is another of the establishments which has been affected by the new project. Shirley, located at 401 Libertad Street, was also closed down for not having a valid establishment license and a certificate from Peru's Civil Defense.

The Municipality of Miraflores has reported that it has given out 5,000 thousand notices to different establishments, requesting they put their paperwork in order, solve irregularities and provide a high standard of service to their customers.

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:29 am

What about this one:

Bierhaus
Pasaje Sánchez Carrión 108, Barranco.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:06 am

I think it is time for a new Alcalda for Miraflores.

I do not mind him forcing the businesses to comply with taxes and paperwork, but I have read 2 different articles noting that the vast majority of businesses that he has closed have supported his opposition and those that were his supporters have been given more time and preferential treatment.

He also has a campaign to close the gay bars and the 2 that remain open are open because 3 TIMES the Alcalda has been found to have closed them illegaly by the PERUVIAN SUPREME COURT.

He has twice defied their order and closed them again, only to wast time and tax dollars fighting the supreme court.

He is also closing Calle de los Pizzas at 2am, talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

I am dissapointed that he is not honorable nor professional enough to find a legal and sane way to make Miraflores safer. He is a failed public servant who I pray will face the wrath of angry voters next election...

But I am not holding my breath.
Old Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Old Tiger » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 am

Sorry, Bierhaus does NOT brew their own... it is usually Brama beer out of tank or bottle depending on the night and which side of the club you buy your chop or jarra....
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:45 am

Guys,

Bierhaus doesn´t brew their own. Just a run-of-the mill bar, with dancing, etc. with locations in Miraflores and Barranco.

Now... you have hit on a topic that fascinates me. Why is it that there is no home-brewing of beer in Peru? In Canada, quite a few people did this as a hobby and could produce some really decent beer. Of course, there is a long tradition of making chicha de jora (sp) here, but it ain´t beer.

Peru has 1) Millions of citizens with an entrepreneurial spirit; 2) Millions of citizens who LOVE beer 3) One of the highest beer taxes in South America; 4) Huge informal sales sector

Can´t someone import beer making kits? Any brew experts out there who want to comment?

Alan
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:47 am

Alan,

You hit on a good point, my uncle (married to a Peruvian as well) brews his own beer at home in Florida.

I always wondered why the same wasn't done down here either. The closest you have to MYOB (make your own beer) is Chicha de Jora.
David

Postby David » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 pm

rgamarra wrote:Alan,

You hit on a good point, my uncle (married to a Peruvian as well) brews his own beer at home in Florida.

I always wondered why the same wasn't done down here either. The closest you have to MYOB (make your own beer) is Chicha de Jora.

Oh NO, now you've done it Alan! I can see the banner already.

Rachel's Brau haus! Or Rachels Bierhaus!

If you serve wine I promise to support you!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:47 pm

David wrote:
rgamarra wrote:Alan,

Oh NO, now you've done it Alan! I can see the banner already.

Rachel's Brau haus! Or Rachels Bierhaus!

If you serve wine I promise to support you!

(hiccup!)

yo....tam.....bien

(plop!)

stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stalker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 pm

sorry if i misled you guys , i knew about the miraflores closing but had heard they reopened, never got around to going this trip. was told by 2 different locals (friends and relatives) they brew their own? at any rate you can get beer by the jarra dirt cheap ,they play kick a-- music and there are plenty of locals willing to dance with un attractive gringos. yeah better take that one off the list.
Remy

Postby Remy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Alan wrote:Why is it that there is no home-brewing of beer in Peru?

It think this has also to do with the fact that Peruvians drink lager beer and do not like the heavier and more flavoured beers.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:35 am

Yor right Peruvians hate flavored beer,whaet beer or ciders.. They hate that.. Yeh so now Peru has no microbrewies.. I know in Mexico city there were like two micrbreweries I think called San Angel.. One was like way in the lomas district the other in the suburbs in satelite.. Yeh man in reality not many microbrew places in latin countries.. That is more of a north american phenomenen. Yes true indeed.. Maybe a future microbew place will come to Peru we should see,, HAPPY.... :D :) :lol:
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: microbreweries?

Postby Tracyrteach » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 am

Hi there, I'm currently brewing and selling bottle artesanal style beers in Miraflores. TeachBeer, cerveza Artesanal. TeachBeer is dedicated to the art of teaching the world about drinking great beer.
The current batch is similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I'm selling them for 15 soles a bottle. [email protected].
I became tired of paying 20-25 soles for Chimay and Duvel, so I've become a brewer. There is a growing demand for good craft beer. I'd like to expand in the next six months for anyone interested.

Another place known as "De Tomas" is housed in a cevicheria/cervezeria called "Mi Cebi-Chela". There is a variety of beers, all from kegs. Pretty good, all and all. The owner also does mini-courses on homebrewing about once every six weeks.

The US has over 2400 craft breweries
Argentina 600
Chile 30
Peru-6

There is a growing trend here to drink better beer. Barbarian is a local company selling kegs and bottles to restaurants and bars. In Huarez there is Cerveza Artesanal de Huarez and Sierra Andina, which they are now selling in Lima. If anyone has frequented Canas y Tapas in Miraflores on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you will see the place crowded with people drinking excellent imported beers and some local ones, too.
Send me an email and help support a local brewer.
Last edited by Tracyrteach on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Tracyrteach wrote:Hi there, I'm currently brewing and selling bottle artesanal style beers in Miraflores. TeachBeer, cerveza Artesanal. TeachBeer is dedicated to the art of teaching the world about drinking great beer.
The current batch is similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I'm selling them for 15 soles a bottle.

What's the size of the bottle?
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey there Chi chi, I'm now selling 330 ml bottles for 8 soles and 620 for 15soles. I'm unfortunately sold out the moment, though very happy with the results=Good Beer! I'll have another 80 bottles ready for consumption in about two weeks, they are currently fermenting.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register