Preparation for el niño

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Preparation for el niño

Postby teamoperu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Rained in Piura again today, wow. I see the signs in Lima about being prepared for el niño (clean the drains and check electricity) and the coastal protection work they have been doing there. In Piura, normally el cole ends at the end of December. This year school end is end of November because of the little boy phenomenon.

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Preparation for el niño

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Funny you should mention it, but this year we have had an amazing amount of overnight rain. The last three months it has been almost every night and far more than the usual three of four days of mist that I am used to. Could you let me know where the drains are. I havn`t found them yet.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:16 pm

I see the whole thing as more of an excuse for corrupt govt officials to ask for huge handouts and do nothing or very little, and pocket the rest.

Make your own preparations and take care, don't count on anyone!

I hope we make it out alive past the end of of this year. The way they are playing it up, you would think the end of the world is coming.

On another note, I am in the north too, and was thinking if it does get bad and people need help, of going to the worst hit places to try and help.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:40 pm

I guess you were not here for the last one? Not even seen pics of it? Serious flooding and damage up here.

Nice thought to help, reality was to get around with all those washed out bridges etc. was more than an adventure.

Have an escape plans if you are living low and back up plans to access your funds.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:59 pm

teamoperu wrote:I guess you were not here for the last one? Not even seen pics of it? Serious flooding and damage up here.

Nice thought to help, reality was to get around with all those washed out bridges etc. was more than an adventure.

Have an escape plans if you are living low and back up plans to access your funds.

never said anything to tune of - its not going to happen - or maybe i am being misunderstood - and my comment was that all the hype about el niño allows for the politicians to ask for huge handouts, in the hundreds of millions of soles, and who knows what will actually be done, with such little time remaining till the end of the world here in peru.....and yes i know about the last one.

you make some good suggestions about having backups to access your funds.

those are the types of preps i am talking about, like don't count on the govt to do anything, and make sure you have taken all possible precautions yourself to avoid damage.

inspect your property well to ensure it will not fall victim to flooding and be -ready- to evacuate if it comes to that.

take whatever measures you can now to protect your loved ones and your valuables before it is too late.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register