What is it that you like about Peru?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
dupx100

What is it that you like about Peru?

Postby dupx100 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:57 pm

There are so many reasons to love Peru, I was wondering what members of the board like most.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What is it that you like about Peru?

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:17 am

The food and the women!
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:49 am

Like:

Food
Music
Nightlife
Lots of amazing places to visit
Low cost of living
Climate

Don't like:

"La delincuencia" (crime)
Last edited by KenBE on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:51 am

The people, the food, the climate, the culture in general.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:52 am

just about anywhere out of the city (not much of a city person). love the food and the curvy Peruanas :)
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:11 am

Posters, be careful to comment on the Peruvian - women.
Yes they are attractive & curvy; but also extremely jealous as far as my experiences. :roll:
Dixon Ticonderoga

Postby Dixon Ticonderoga » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:06 pm

[quote="dupx100"]There are so many reasons to love Peru, I was wondering what members of the board like most.[/quote

What do I like about Peru?
The fabulous food, the culture, the places to see and things to do, the romance.
Actually, its all lies.
I told myself over and over, trying to convince myself but I have to come clean and be honest with myself.
The food is average at best with questionable sanitary practices, the culture well it gets to be a real drag when you are polar opposites from the natives, with nothing in common and ridiculed and laughed at because you're different.
The places and things were fun to see & do but that gets old after awhile.
And worse of all I was lied to by my partner.
Promised that he was mine and mine alone.
Until I found him in bed with another man.
After packing my belongings in tears, I booked the first flight I could to California and never looked back.
Yes, Peru was an adventure but the treasures I sought and thought I had found turned out to be fools gold.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:19 pm

I really like the different types of buildings and architecture here from the old fashioned Villas to the modern apartments. i'm lucky to live in a nice area and there are plenty of places to go walking here.

Parks are something else i like, the different type of trees and flowers are different from those back home. People are always very friendly and you don't have to put up with yobs drinking.

Barranco and Miraflores are great places with plenty of cafes, small restaurants and the bar scene is really growing lately. The malecon has an amazing coastline too, with parks, cycle paths and restaurants.

Downsides, apart from the seafood and pollo a la brassa i'll admit i've never been a fan of the food especially the creolo type stews, i've always found most of the food to be very bland, it just doesn't have the taste of say Indian or Thai food. The food is way too carb based. I would say almost every single La menu meal i've had has been a waste of money.

Even tho there's lots of bars you have to meet up with friends as there isn't the bar culture where you can just go out on your own and talk to whoever is at the bar.

Then there's the isolation, there really is very little to do outside of Lima (or in Lima itself) anything that is close is maybe a 5-8 hour bus ride. I love the Andes and the scenery there but the coast is lets face it pig ugly and covered in litter almost every single mile you travel, the journey from Lima to Barranco being a prime example.

For all the buildings i like here you also have to put up with the construction site look for the rest of Lima with the half built houses and metal bars and poor brick work.

Lack of sports, whether it being priced out of gyms or sports clubs which lack any decent equipment to professional sports to watch. football stadiums aren't in safe places and the only other sports are elite get togethers like Polo, tennis and golf courses again aren't cheap. I've yet to go to the horse riding at Jockey club and would like to check this out at some point.

Lack of shopping, i have to ship in almost all my clothes and other things like electronics.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:35 am

I love...

the warm people
tight knit families
friends that are like family
the cuisine
incredible variety of produce
the relaxed pace
the weather... and sunshine (outside of Lima, of course)

I don't love...

Lima traffic
petty crime
dogs (and cats) roaming around alone (and pooping) in the street
beurocratic nightmares
chronic lateness
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:07 pm

To all of the people with disparaging remarks about Peru I feel your pain. The Latin America in general has a slower pace and is less oriented towards punctuality then cultures like North America and Northern Europe. I remember when I went to Mexico from 38 years ago to start University I was surprised and at first frustrated. I love the people but the typical Mexican Cuisine was not what I had grown accustomed to living in the southwestern United States. In time that I actually grew to prefer authentic Mexican Cuisine over the US version.

There's an old joke that runs like this. What time zone are they in in Berlin? Central European Time. In London they are on Greenwich Mean Time. And in Mexico there time zone is tomorrow. But pretty much holds true for almost every country in Latin America perhaps with the exception of Chile and maybe Argentina. The food the bureaucracy the slowness the dilapidated conditions of certain buildings the crime are all things that are realities in a broken world like the one we live in. Every major city has its problems.

I feel safer and Lima then I would say in South Central Los Angeles or in the Bronx or in South Phoenix or many other areas in many other US cities. And if anyone thinks there is no Urban Decay in the United States think again.

To the person who found his or her boyfriend in bed with another man I am truly sorry you had that experience. Considering that men think of sex every 15 seconds and women did not I would wager that if we're ever going to call anyone else or we should say men are whores not women. In any event I think the same thing probably happens in the United States a lot that's why the divorce rate there is so high.

Latin America is not for everyone that is just the way that things are. However if you could learn not to look up on Latin America with us values and standards and instead keep an open and non-judgmental mind it is much easier to acclimate yourself to life here. It helps if you speak the language well because really in order to speak a foreign language well you must also understand the culture. They're also groups of expatriates where people can get some support.

Those of us from the United States especially are uncomfortable negotiating. We also tend to lead rather sheltered lives in the United States as we don't really have a good chance to see what the rest of the world is like until we leave our own borders. I honestly believe that Peru is worth it and I hope everyone here is able to enjoy his or her life to the fullest in this wondrous little country.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register