La Republica, La Crema and Allianza

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
apachecadillac

La Republica, La Crema and Allianza

Postby apachecadillac » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello. First post. Not to get all political, but I've got a question about La Republica. To brush up on rusty Spanish with an eye to visiting Peru next year, I've been reading the La Republica website for the last month or so. La Republica appears to be a pretty mainstream publication, but I was wondering how reliable a source of information it is considered, and where it falls on the Peruvian political spectrum (whatever that is). I've got to say that following the Odebrecht scandal as it unfolds is a pretty entertaining way to work on your Spanish.

Also, just to make this post a two-fer, a question about the fans of La Crema and Allianza. Most places, different teams attract different fan bases, and I was wondering if that was the case in Lima. Are the fans of the two clubs from different social classes, economic backgrounds, etc.

Thanks

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: La Republica, La Crema and Allianza

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm

You'll find with Alianza Lima and Universitario that people from all over Lima will follow them regardless of their back ground but saying that Universitario are supposed to be the team the the more wealthy follow. Alianza Lima was a team that was formed by servants and workers of the rich elite, their stadium is also in probably the worst area of Lima for crime. Compared to Universitarios stadium which isn't too far away from the BCP bank headquarters.

The atmosphere at the derby games is amazing if not a bit dangerous at times but the Peruvian football league is very poor in quality which is a shame. It mostly suffers from poor refereeing, endless players diving for free kicks and bad tackling which means the games hardly ever really get going.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:09 pm

apachecadillac wrote:Hello. First post. Not to get all political, but I've got a question about La Republica. To brush up on rusty Spanish with an eye to visiting Peru next year, I've been reading the La Republica website for the last month or so. La Republica appears to be a pretty mainstream publication, but I was wondering how reliable a source of information it is considered, and where it falls on the Peruvian political spectrum (whatever that is). I've got to say that following the Odebrecht scandal as it unfolds is a pretty entertaining way to work on your Spanish.

Thanks

It's a good, respected newspaper and considered to be on the left side of the spectrum.

Have you tried Carretas magazine? A great source of news.
apachecadillac

Postby apachecadillac » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks. I figured it was a respected newspaper--it has a Nobel laureate for a columnist, after all. I don't really care about the politics, as long as they aren't whacko extreme. From what I can tell so far, every politician in Peru is absolutely and simultaneously against flooding, mudslides and droughts. And, when it comes to corruption, they are all against it in principle, keeping in mind. as for their side, that we must be sympathetic to the nuances of these complex situations (or else, more baldly, hah, hah, the statue of limitations has run). And thanks for the pointer towards La Carretera.

Now, for another question--what is the reputation of Al Sexto Dia? It seems, a little racier or tabloid like. But it's videos certainly have a beat to them. And the cute young anchors for sure are better looking than Vargas Llosa--more like eye candy than brain food.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 am

Dale U!!!!

Definitely going to more futbol matches next trip I have been to a couple of games at the Monumental stadium. A bit different from going to a game in the US as I was not aware of certain restrictions, no drinking(even before the game) and no mens belts permitted at the gate. They give everyone a breathalyzer too which I failed 3 times as I was pre drinking waiting on my Peruvian buddy who didnt inform me of the breathalyzer deal prior to us planning to go....The cop let me in anyway after the 3rd blow!

Kind of sucks having to walk so far to get close to the stadium we were late that first game and had to run for like a mile maybe more not fun....they closed the streets close to the stadium to traffic. Getting out of there takes a while too if you are trying to flag down a taxi like the other 50,000 folks but it is a blast!
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register