Expats with small children

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Vannessfamx5
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Expats with small children

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Did any of you move to Peru with small children? We are thinking about giving Peru a chance. Our kids are 12, 8 and 5.


User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:16 am

I don't have kids but you should look into some of the quieter neighbourhoods in San Borja, Surco, San Isidro and La Molina. They can be very family orientated, with lots of nice parks and schools nearby. They are usually extremely safe and the areas with parks tend to be a block or two away from the main road networks so you don't have to worry as much about people driving fast. Some of the parks will have play areas for kids.

The neighbourhoods usually have a school minibus to take the kids to school. You'll need to pay for a decent school for your children. My in-laws usually pay about $1,200 a month for four children.

The more parent friendly neighbourhoods tend to be to be further away from the main business areas of Miraflores and San Isidro so you should research your general commute times as rush hour traffic in Lima can be hellishly long!
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Alan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:22 am

Ideally, look for a closed condominium with an enclosed play area, and if you are close to a park, all the better. Try this and expat forums on facebook to locate play groups.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:The neighbourhoods usually have a school minibus to take the kids to school. You'll need to pay for a decent school for your children. My in-laws usually pay about $1,200 a month for four children.


it may be true that a month in average school costs around 300-400 USD per child. Some schools may cost you twice or more. However you forget there is also "cuota de ingreso" which will be between 8000 and 30.000 USD PER child. So expect spending something between 20.000 to 90.000 USD just to make the schools accept your kids. The fee is not returnable (is a kind of bribe to accept you).

Unless you really want to send them to lame schools. All primaries we looked at started at 8000 USD and above. Just depends on you, if you want your kids to learn reading and writing at all. :mrgreen:
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am

https://gestion.pe/tendencias/colegios- ... -ano-70665

this is from 2014. The prices went up...
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Expats with small children

Postby gerard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Mrsteak as always gives an extreme example that suits his negative point of view. Sure if you want to send your kids to the Peruvian equivalent of Eton you'll pay thousands of dollars as a registration fee. But there are plenty of perfectly acceptable private schools charging under S/.1000 per month, with a registration fee normally in the region of one monthly payment.

My son's entire education to date has been in Lima and he can read and write perfectly well.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:36 pm

gerard wrote:Mrsteak as always gives an extreme example that suits his negative point of view. Sure if you want to send your kids to the Peruvian equivalent of Eton you'll pay thousands of dollars as a registration fee.


I suppose you also consider Clinica Angloamericana to be "Peruvian equivalent of Johns Hopkins Hospital" or so... :lol:
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Expats with small children

Postby gerard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:58 pm

mrsteak wrote:
gerard wrote:Mrsteak as always gives an extreme example that suits his negative point of view. Sure if you want to send your kids to the Peruvian equivalent of Eton you'll pay thousands of dollars as a registration fee.



I suppose you also consider Clinica Angloamericana to be "Peruvian equivalent of Johns Hopkins Hospital" or so... :lol:
I wouldn't know. I try and base my opinions on actual experience.
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Expats with small children

Postby gerard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm

Well as luck would have it there's a report out today listing the most expensive schools in Lima.

http://rpp.pe/economia/economia/la-lista-de-los-colegios-mas-caros-de-lima-del-2018-noticia-1102316
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 pm

@gerard: as I said they increased the prices :shock: Apparently you get a little discount if you send more than 1 kid to the same school but it is not much. My wife says maybe $500 on the cuota. So you still need something like 3 x 17000 plus the monthly cost to send your kids to the best school. Even if you go for the lower-end schools it can be still plenty of money right? USD 3000 x 3 = ?
Vannessfamx5
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:26 pm

gerard wrote:Well as luck would have it there's a report out today listing the most expensive schools in Lima.

http://rpp.pe/economia/economia/la-lista-de-los-colegios-mas-caros-de-lima-del-2018-noticia-1102316


Thank you Gerad! I am actually Peruvian and know where we want to move to, either La Molina or Cieneguilla. Unless I strike a deal with a home in Miraflores. I used to live in Molina and worked on Miraflores before I moved here. The schools my kids looked at are Alpamayo and Salcantay but all will depend if we end up in La Molina or not. I don’t think I will want to drive my kids to school every morning for 1+ hour each way lol.


My question now is, did your kids adjust to Peru? I miss it so bad but I don’t want my kids to rescent us if we take them down there. We are not rich but my husband has made sure we live a comfortable life and I want the same for my kids if we move down there.

By the way, are there any “good” schools in Cieneguilla or Asia?
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Expats with small children

Postby gerard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm

mrsteak wrote:Even if you go for the lower-end schools it can be still plenty of money right? USD 3000 x 3 = ?


It can be as much or as little as you like. The lower end of the top 10 in a capital city with 10 million people are not really low end. A useful resource is here:

http://identicole.minedu.gob.pe/inicio

and if you search for options between S/.500 and S/.1000 per month there are 174 results for primary schools in Lima. If you push the upper limit up to S/.6000 which is about as high as the tool allows that increases to 265, and if you reduce the lower limit to S/.250 there are almost 1100 results. So about 8% cost more than S/.1000/month and you're still probably in the top 15% if you're paying more than S/.750.
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Expats with small children

Postby gerard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Vannessfamx5 wrote:My question now is, did your kids adjust to Peru? I miss it so bad but I don’t want my kids to rescent us if we take them down there. We are not rich but my husband has made sure we live a comfortable life and I want the same for my kids if we move down there.


My son was only 3 when we moved here. We put him in a nido for a couple of months before the end of the school year then paid his teacher to come to our home two afternoons a week through the Summer. By the time school started again he was pretty much at the same level as his classmates, from speaking almost no Spanish at all when we moved.

It's hard to say whether he is happier here - he has no real memories of anywhere else. We're also not rich, but comfortable. Maybe that's because we're not blowing $9,000 a month on schools though.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 pm

gerard wrote:
mrsteak wrote:and if you search for options between S/.500 and S/.1000 per month there are 174 results for primary schools in Lima. If you push the upper limit up to S/.6000 which is about as high as the tool allows that increases to 265, and if you reduce the lower limit to S/.250 there are almost 1100 results. So about 8% cost more than S/.1000/month and you're still probably in the top 15% if you're paying more than S/.750.


you might be right, however I personally do not trust the Peruvian edu system. I expect only few top-end schools to have a similar level as Europe. I base this just on the overall quality of everything in Lima. In my experience there is always a "few top, some average and large tail of poor" things in Lima. Holds for restaurants, holds for neighborhoods, holds in my opinion for * in Peru. Education is not an exemption. We pay around s/1100 just for a nursery in Surco and I do not see it be any special. Definitively more expensive than western EU and less quality as far as I can see - it feels as a poor place.

I was told same thing by Peruvian friends and they should know. Mysterious to me how you can feel comfortable sending your kids to an average school - in a country where the average is poor.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 pm

Vannessfamx5 wrote:Thank you Gerad! I am actually Peruvian and know where we want to move to, either La Molina or Cieneguilla.
...
By the way, are there any “good” schools in Cieneguilla or Asia?


La Molina maybe but Cieneguilla? You are out of this place for lot of time right? Your questions suggest that.

Asia is a party district with lot of drugs.

Cieneguilla is a poor part of Lima, with very few opportunities. Those "club campestre" do not compensate it. It remains a dirt place in my opinion.

If you live in La Molina you should find a way to stay there all the time, find a job there and so on. Leaving La Molina by any type of transport is a hell. The traffic augmented heavily in Lima.
Vannessfamx5
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 pm

mrsteak wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:Thank you Gerad! I am actually Peruvian and know where we want to move to, either La Molina or Cieneguilla.
...
By the way, are there any “good” schools in Cieneguilla or Asia?


La Molina maybe but Cieneguilla? You are out of this place for lot of time right? Your questions suggest that.

Asia is a party district with lot of drugs.

Cieneguilla is a poor part of Lima, with very few opportunities. Those "club campestre" do not compensate it. It remains a dirt place in my opinion.

If you live in La Molina you should find a way to stay there all the time, find a job there and so on. Leaving La Molina by any type of transport is a hell. The traffic augmented heavily in Lima.



Yep, been gone for 16 years and only went back as a tourist lol. I saw a huge change just between 2012 and 2014 when it was the last time my kids visited Peru. I went last year but again, pretty much as a tourist.

I asked about Asia because I keep hearing my Peruvian friends that’s the place to go for a beach Home and Cieneguilla was nice when I was there.
Vannessfamx5
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 pm

gerard wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:My question now is, did your kids adjust to Peru? I miss it so bad but I don’t want my kids to rescent us if we take them down there. We are not rich but my husband has made sure we live a comfortable life and I want the same for my kids if we move down there.


My son was only 3 when we moved here. We put him in a nido for a couple of months before the end of the school year then paid his teacher to come to our home two afternoons a week through the Summer. By the time school started again he was pretty much at the same level as his classmates, from speaking almost no Spanish at all when we moved.

It's hard to say whether he is happier here - he has no real memories of anywhere else. We're also not rich, but comfortable. Maybe that's because we're not blowing $9,000 a month on schools though.


Yikes! We looked at Markham and newton schools and laughed at their non refundable entry fee. Alpamayk and salcantay seem cheaper than the other two. We are paying $700 here for just one and that’s cheaper compared to the $900 we were paying last year.

I would never consider a Peruvian public school for my kids.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Vannessfamx5 wrote:I asked about Asia because I keep hearing my Peruvian friends that’s the place to go for a beach Home and Cieneguilla was nice when I was there.


well nice is relative. It is nice to Peruvians living in Lima, used to the standard of living in Lima. People will usually only recommend you what they personally know. Just make an experiment and ask random people in Miraflores what place they recommend to go :P They will maybe recommend you Mancora, maybe Asia, some Peruvians will maybe recommend you Punta Sal or maybe San Andres. Well I have been to these recommendations already but after having lived long time in Spain, France, Portugal, Brasil and Denmark those places are just below average to me :shock: I'm hard to impress LOL.

I was living in Uruguay 6 months and people recommended me to see e.g. Punta del Este, Punta del Diablo, and some other things I even do not remember anymore - but they are just average places. Not bad, but nothing special. Really not. Locals just recommend what is over their average horizont :mrgreen:

If I had to recommend something to go or to make holidays my recommendations would be pretty different from an average local in Lima.

Asia is even not good to spend a weekend there. The traffic kills your experience really. I see no point to drive to a very average places through horrible traffic jam and crowds of people trying to get to the same place. If you loose 2 hours to drive then the place has to be exceptional. I would only go to places closer to Lima to spend a weekend - being ever less than average but not loosing my time and endangering myself in that traffic. Maybe you can go for a week to Asia and then relax a bit but driving there for a weekend? no way... it does not pay off.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:16 am

Vannessfamx5 wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:Thank you Gerad! I am actually Peruvian and know where we want to move to, either La Molina or Cieneguilla.
...
By the way, are there any “good” schools in Cieneguilla or Asia?


La Molina maybe but Cieneguilla? You are out of this place for lot of time right? Your questions suggest that.

Asia is a party district with lot of drugs.

Cieneguilla is a poor part of Lima, with very few opportunities. Those "club campestre" do not compensate it. It remains a dirt place in my opinion.

If you live in La Molina you should find a way to stay there all the time, find a job there and so on. Leaving La Molina by any type of transport is a hell. The traffic augmented heavily in Lima.



Yep, been gone for 16 years and only went back as a tourist lol. I saw a huge change just between 2012 and 2014 when it was the last time my kids visited Peru. I went last year but again, pretty much as a tourist.

I asked about Asia because I keep hearing my Peruvian friends that’s the place to go for a beach Home and Cieneguilla was nice when I was there.


Vanness I know you probably already know this but make sure your family have good jobs before returning to Peru. I know as a Peruvian you will miss your country and your family but Lima is difficult, sorry it's just a hard truth. I'd get jobs organised before you move back else things can go very wrong very very fast. Especially if you plan on living in the high end neighbourhoods.

La Molina is a good place but it costs money. You'll have no problem finding a different variety of schools and not all will be as expensive as Newton College. I'd maybe look around for jobs in the newly expanding commerical area by Golf Del La Incas on the border of Surco and La Molina, it will save you one hell of a commute every day.

There's nothing in Cieneguilla except for holiday homes. It's online 20 or so minutes away from La Molina, in which case you could just base yourself in Sol de La Molina for easy runs out.

I've been to Asia and again there's nothing there other than holiday homes and shops for holiday makers, it's not somewhere you'd move to as a place to live. Again Asia is going to be expensive.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Expats with small children

Postby mrsteak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:07 am

I didn't check it personally, but I was told that in Asia even supermarkets are closed during the cloudy time that is from April to November. So I doubt you want to live there.
Vannessfamx5
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:Thank you Gerad! I am actually Peruvian and know where we want to move to, either La Molina or Cieneguilla.
...
By the way, are there any “good” schools in Cieneguilla or Asia?


La Molina maybe but Cieneguilla? You are out of this place for lot of time right? Your questions suggest that.

Asia is a party district with lot of drugs.

Cieneguilla is a poor part of Lima, with very few opportunities. Those "club campestre" do not compensate it. It remains a dirt place in my opinion.

If you live in La Molina you should find a way to stay there all the time, find a job there and so on. Leaving La Molina by any type of transport is a hell. The traffic augmented heavily in Lima.



Yep, been gone for 16 years and only went back as a tourist lol. I saw a huge change just between 2012 and 2014 when it was the last time my kids visited Peru. I went last year but again, pretty much as a tourist.

I asked about Asia because I keep hearing my Peruvian friends that’s the place to go for a beach Home and Cieneguilla was nice when I was there.


Vanness I know you probably already know this but make sure your family have good jobs before returning to Peru. I know as a Peruvian you will miss your country and your family but Lima is difficult, sorry it's just a hard truth. I'd get jobs organised before you move back else things can go very wrong very very fast. Especially if you plan on living in the high end neighbourhoods.

La Molina is a good place but it costs money. You'll have no problem finding a different variety of schools and not all will be as expensive as Newton College. I'd maybe look around for jobs in the newly expanding commerical area by Golf Del La Incas on the border of Surco and La Molina, it will save you one hell of a commute every day.

There's nothing in Cieneguilla except for holiday homes. It's online 20 or so minutes away from La Molina, in which case you could just base yourself in Sol de La Molina for easy runs out.

I've been to Asia and again there's nothing there other than holiday homes and shops for holiday makers, it's not somewhere you'd move to as a place to live. Again Asia is going to be expensive.



Thank you for that! My husband would be a retiree and getting a job in Lima is no problem for me, I have very good connections and you know that's how things work in Peru lol. We really wouldn't need to work to pay bills but more to not go nuts at home and to not dig too deep into my husband's retirement check.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3016
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Alan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:53 pm

mrsteak wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:Thank you Gerad! I am actually Peruvian and know where we want to move to, either La Molina or Cieneguilla.
...
By the way, are there any “good” schools in Cieneguilla or Asia?


La Molina maybe but Cieneguilla? You are out of this place for lot of time right? Your questions suggest that.

Asia is a party district with lot of drugs.

Cieneguilla is a poor part of Lima, with very few opportunities. Those "club campestre" do not compensate it. It remains a dirt place in my opinion.

If you live in La Molina you should find a way to stay there all the time, find a job there and so on. Leaving La Molina by any type of transport is a hell. The traffic augmented heavily in Lima.


Asia is a conglomeration of beach communities (some very expensive) which is populated in the summer only. There is also a shopping and entertainment boulevard.

Cieneguilla is a little far from Lima proper. These are large properties with some very, very nice homes. Mostly they are second homes which people escape to for some sun in the winter months. Not really suitable for year round living.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Expats with small children

Postby toughrider » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Move to Tarapoto.

It's one of the few places where kids can safely play outside without the risks of getting abducted or get hooked to drugs.

It's also a very affordable city to live. Nice weather all year round and the people are the friendliest in Peru.
Vannessfamx5
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Expats with small children

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 am

toughrider wrote:Move to Tarapoto.

It's one of the few places where kids can safely play outside without the risks of getting abducted or get hooked to drugs.

It's also a very affordable city to live. Nice weather all year round and the people are the friendliest in Peru.


I am from iquitos and we used to vacation in tarapoto. Although tarapoto is more, in some way, modern and accessible than iquitos, I wouldn’t move there because I’m the end we would still have to send the kids to Lima for college. That’s what happens with a lot of kids who live in provincias.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

cron

Login  •  Register