Long distance relationship

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Katierose5

Long distance relationship

Postby Katierose5 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Has anyone had a Long distance relationship with someone from Peru before that actually worked out? If so, How did you make things work out between eachother and what is also the best way to save up money quickly for a flight?

I've been around this guy for over five years now and we've felt the same about eachother for a while even though we've dated other people, Nothing ever changed. So finally I'm hoping to make it there to Lima this summer. He really is doubting that I'll come though due to me saying in the past that I would be there and not end up coming always due to money issues and not having enough when I always thought I would :/ Really hope this time things will Work out and happen..

Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Long distance relationship

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Katierose5 wrote:Has anyone had a Long distance relationship with someone from Peru before that actually worked out? If so, How did you make things work out between each other and what is also the best way to save up money quickly for a flight?

I've been around this guy for over five years now and we've felt the same about each other for a while even though we've dated other people, Nothing ever changed. So finally I'm hoping to make it there to Lima this summer. He really is doubting that I'll come though due to me saying in the past that I would be there and not end up coming always due to money issues and not having enough when I always thought I would :/ Really hope this time things will Work out and happen..

Have you been before and met in person?
Katierose5

Postby Katierose5 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:55 pm

No we havent, this is our first time but we have talked on the phone and videochatted a bunch since meeting.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Expect to pay more for flights in the summer.
That's high season and when people like to travel for
vacation in Peru.
As for raising money, maybe take out a personal loan or borrow from someone.
“When you’re in, you’re in.” —
Ignacio Varga
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 am

G'day Katie,
From which country do you intend to fly to Lima?,
Then maybe I can offer some advice on flying cost.
Cheers,
W
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 pm

[quote="Katierose5"]Has anyone had a Long distance relationship with someone from Peru before that actually worked out? If so, How did you make things work out between eachother and what is also the best way to save up money quickly for a flight?

I've been around this guy for over five years now and we've felt the same about eachother for a while even though we've dated other people, Nothing ever changed. So finally I'm hoping to make it there to Lima this summer. He really is doubting that I'll come though due to me saying in the past that I would be there and not end up coming always due to money issues and not having enough when I always thought I would :/ Really hope this

You are actually asking "the best way to save up money quickly for a flight? " Just off the top of my head, I would open up a savings account and set a goal and fund it.
As for flights there are several online services that search cheap flights. Google "flights to Lima. ezy pzy
woodardc

Postby woodardc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:06 am

Not to come off as cross but where are you located?
It was only $500 for me to get a plane ticket from USA to Peru, and I only bought my ticket one month in advance.
It was quite the trivial amount of money, at least for me.
However, if you're short on change I would get a credit card specializing in travel.
Make all of your payments with this credit card, and most importantly immediately pay off these payments.
You'll accrue airline miles, you can buy a plane ticket with this, when you get enough.
Most have bonuses such as "if you spend $3000 in 4 months, you'll get $500 in airline miles".
If you have bills to pay (I'm sure you do), then you'll definitely accrue the miles you need in no time at all.
My advice you to is to not give up. If you really want to be with this guy, work it out.
If you argue, work it out. If you get offended by him, work it out.
If Peru is a culture shock, adjust yourself.
The most important thing though is embracing stoicism.
Peru is much, much different from USA. It's a developing economy.
For example, good cheese is a luxury, you won't find good cheese anywhere, not even at Pizza hut.
Most of the buildings in Lima are half-finished, usually missing a roof because no one wants to pay property taxes.
Everyone travels around with buses because the traffic is horrendous here, and you will be a sardine in a can each time you get on the metro.
It's hot as hell in Lima during the summer and unless this guy is living in Miraflores, it's doubtful he has air conditioning.
(Especially since most of the buildings are missing a piece of roof or something specifically to avoid property tax, and don't have good ventilation)
Don't expect to be taking a hot shower or bath every day either, embrace cold showers. You'll especially enjoy them during the summer.
Also, if you want to work for a company here.. expect to be paid in peanuts and to work very hard.
So in short, only come to Peru if you really love this guy.
G-d bless.
JimHartz

Postby JimHartz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Actually I met my wife on Amigos.com about 14 years ago. Dating in the US was depressing and a trip to Cuba got me thinking about women from Latin America. After days of searching I stumbled across the profile of my future wife. She was very attractive, could write in basic English, had a college degree, no ex husbands and no kids. I emailed her twice and finally got a response. We started to correspond by email. Having been burned in the past by US women I measured everything she said very carefully. Soon emails turned into instant messaging and then we added cameras. We started to set up on line dates since she had to go to an Internet cafe. We found ourselves talking for hours at least 3 times a week. This went on for 8 months. She never once deviated from the person she claimed to be. After 8 months and a break between jobs I took a 10 day trip to Lima. It wasn't love at first sight but as time went on we grew to really enjoy our time together. Several months later I took another trip for 3 weeks. When the 3 weeks was up I was really sad to leave. It was then that I knew she was the one. I proposed and we began arranging for a finance visa. That was a challenge since I was working in Canada on a film, the attorney was in Maryland and my finance in Lima.
It all worked out in the end. Two months after her arrival (there was a 3 month time on the visa) we got married. Our 13th anniversary was in January.
Almost 95% of international marriages fail. I had a friend screwed by a Cubana. My advice.........it can work but take your time to really get to know her. Age difference, religious values, customs, wanting kids or having them already and $ are all issues. A few times I didn't think we would make it but our relationship gets better as time goes on. I hope this helps.
Jim
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:06 pm

JimHartz wrote: I had a friend screwed by a Cubana.
Jim

Literally or figuratively?
Or both?
Large and in charge!
JimHartz

Postby JimHartz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:19 pm

First in bed and then after they married and she moved to the US she learned English, filed for divorce and she got the car and alimony. Now he is married to a Cubana in Cuba and they are doing well.
smnbjj80
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby smnbjj80 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:12 pm

I met my wife on a cruise and she is Peruvian. We did the long distance deal for about 6mths and then I moved to Lima. It was a shock to my system living in Lima and there were some rough times getting adjusted but I made it work and it was one of the best things I ever did. Skype, WhatsApp and even US Cell Plans now days make it easy. Depending where you live in the US you can find flights if you look hard and often. I just got round trip from LAX to Lima for $300.
Krusty

Postby Krusty » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 am

My girlfriend lived in Peru for 6 months (but she's french). It was really hard to be honest bu we managed it pretty well. She came one time to visit me and same for me. So we were approx seeing eachother every 2 months~

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register