PLASTIC BAGS ACTION

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

PLASTIC BAGS ACTION

Postby Wiracocha » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:21 am

G'day all,

Monday week ago, my local Plaza Vea s/mkt began charging 10c for "bio-degradable"plastic carry-bags at the check-out. Their normal Plaza Vea bags had disappeared. I reckon that this is a good thing and a step in the right direction for the environment.

However,I did not notice any pre-announcement anywhere for this change...nothing in the store , but maybe in the media??

Did anyone see/hear any general announcement in the past 2 weeks or so ?

Yesterday, I found the same "change"at our local TAMBO store...10c if you wanted a bag to carry your purchase.

Observation...late last week I did observe several shoppers carrying their own material type shopping bags as the headed towards Plaza Vea...so, something is working. :-)

This is not new to me, as back in Aussie this plastic bag replacement thing has been the case for a year or so now.

I don't expect to see any miraculous changes in the amount of unmarked plastic bags float about our streets, but will see how things go by the end of the year.

Cheers,
W

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: PLASTIC BAGS ACTION

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello WIracocha.

It is a good news to use less plastic bags at supermarkets.

Here in my district, We have been recycling plastics + metal cans + paper + cardboards, a long time ago... probably 6 or more years. Once per week there is a truck and pick up the collected bags during the morning. Hope will be done across the Country soon..

The prohibition of use of plastic bags at supermarkets is part of the Law... December 2018 . Same regulation at bakeries, etc.

https://ojo.pe/ciudad/aprueban-prohibir ... 9-noticia/
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Wiracocha wrote:G'day all,

Monday week ago, my local Plaza Vea s/mkt began charging 10c for "bio-degradable"plastic carry-bags at the check-out. Their normal Plaza Vea bags had disappeared. I reckon that this is a good thing and a step in the right direction for the environment.

However,I did not notice any pre-announcement anywhere for this change...nothing in the store , but maybe in the media??

Yesterday, I found the same "change"at our local TAMBO store...10c if you wanted a bag to carry your purchase.

Observation...late last week I did observe several shoppers carrying their own material type shopping bags as the headed towards Plaza Vea...so, something is working. :-)

This is not new to me, as back in Aussie this plastic bag replacement thing has been the case for a year or so now.

I don't expect to see any miraculous changes in the amount of unmarked plastic bags float about our streets, but will see how things go by the end of the year.

Cheers,
W

Absolutely ridiculous! BOHICA, plastic straws are next!!
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 pm

A travesty to ban plastic bags.
They make great poop containers for the homeless.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

Wiracocha wrote:G'day all,

W

It's been pretty widely reported for the last few months that this change was coming in. Maybe not in the last couple of weeks specifically, but there has been quite a lot of press about it this year.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 am

It was interesting to watch how they phased it in at Vivanda. Starting a couple months ago, they began to have cashiers that did not give plastic bags... making that line shorter and raising people's awareness. They also began selling cloth bags. At the other tills, the cashier would ask "do you want a bag?" Smart.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am

Plastic bottles could be considered for banishment also and not just because they pollute the environment. Could be trouble for countries that have to buy bottled water because the water pumped into our homes is next to poison.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/health/m ... index.html

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register